Hire Chris Avellone?!

felleto

I was watching some videos on KOTOR1 and KOTOR2 from 100% Star wars (https://www.youtube.com/@100StarWars - check out his channel it's amazing!) and even though I never played these games (because graphics sorry) the story is extremely alluring to me. In his last video he mentioned the mind behind the conception of KOTOR 1 and 2 Mr. Chris Avellone. My question is: Why not hire this man, this GOD, for working on SWTOR story?! This would be a master stroke that for sure would bring more attention to the game!

9 minutes ago, Ramell said:

Avellone was lead writer and designer on KotOR 2, yes, but not KotOR 1. The original KotOR was done by Bioware, and both the lead designer and writer of that game (James Ohlen and Drew Karpyshyn) worked on SWTOR.  

And oh boy does it show.. That being said and criticisms of Bioware writing aside, not all good writers transition well into all projects. This is an ongoing story dealing with multiple prior existing plot threads and already has a writing team with their own vision that they've been working toward for the past few years, even with Boyd's departure. Not that Avellone wouldn't be up to it with a cohesive vision the team could get behind, but there's only so much that experience and skill in singleplayer game development can get you when you're now doing it for an mmorpg. Switching lead writer with someone who has not to my knowledge worked in an mmo production setting (even if we're just talking the story) and also has strengths that differ, is inviting mess. 

And the last thing I'd want to touch is a project that is the product of someone else bastardizing what interesting nuances/characters me and my team may have introduced after the initial entry. Drew really walked in and said "let's get back to my stuff, mkay?" I'm just not a fan of pretty much everything that's been done with Revan and Meetra (the Exile) post KOTOR 2. Also OP, give the games a whirl yourself. Graphics should never hold anyone back from enjoying great products, imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gonna be honest that I hadn't before I made the post. I spent some time yesterday scouring the internet reading about the accusations. I have heard there has been no proof of the alleged misconduct. I might be wrong because I wasn't able to accompany the events as they transpired and maybe I missed something. In this day and age I know that once you are accused of such things there is no more point in trying to prove your innocence (if the accusations turn out to be untrue), however, if there has been no proof or prosecution of the deed can he be considered guilty of anything? Not taking Mr. Avellone's side here just saying what I know. Please, I urge you to share any other information you might have. 

Go easy on the hero worship stuff, Avellone has plenty of problems. Not least of which was the whole fiasco a couple of years ago where it was revealed that 90% of the projects he was working on weren't having him write anything and were just using his name for it's 'brand power'. That was hilarious to see at the time, with all of the projects he was attached to dropping him on twitter and admitting that he hadn't actually done any work on them. The guy routinely gets over-credited or credited for work that wasn't his, don't be part of the problem. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, felleto said:

Gonna be honest that I hadn't before I made the post. I spent some time yesterday scouring the internet reading about the accusations. I have heard there has been no proof of the alleged misconduct. I might be wrong because I wasn't able to accompany the events as they transpired and maybe I missed something. In this day and age I know that once you are accused of such things there is no more point in trying to prove your innocence (if the accusations turn out to be untrue), however, if there has been no proof or prosecution of the deed can he be considered guilty of anything? Not taking Mr. Avellone's side here just saying what I know. Please, I urge you to share any other information you might have. 

The reason you haven't heard anything new is that Mr. Avellone has filed a libel suit against the accusers, and this was filed in 2021, and with my knowledge of the legal field, it will take time for this to go to Court, and even then, it is going to be an uphill battle for him to prove libel.  Therefore, as of today, this case is still pending, and therefore there is nothing new on this, in this case, no game company can take the chance of hiring him until the case is over, and that is if he proves his case.

Edited by casirabit
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, felleto said:

Well, I sure hope he's proven innocent and then Swtor hires him haha

Proving a libel case is not easy, and the burden of proof is going to be on him to prove that the allegations were in malice and therefore wrong and that is what he is going to have to prove.  A case like this could take years to even go to Court.

Edited by casirabit

On 1/28/2023 at 2:55 PM, IIHawkerII said:

Go easy on the hero worship stuff, Avellone has plenty of problems. Not least of which was the whole fiasco a couple of years ago where it was revealed that 90% of the projects he was working on weren't having him write anything and were just using his name for it's 'brand power'. That was hilarious to see at the time, with all of the projects he was attached to dropping him on twitter and admitting that he hadn't actually done any work on them. The guy routinely gets over-credited or credited for work that wasn't his, don't be part of the problem. 

So who were the great minds behind KOTOR 1 and KOTOR 2? Some of my question was already answered because I think some of the writers were involved in SWTOR at some point was there anyone else involved in their creative process, that hasn't worked on SWTOR yet. Better yet, who would you hire for story content if you could?

• 4 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.