Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

So why did so many quit the game over the years?

jedipattawan

26 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

😞 I thought you did, sorry. BioWare missed a big opportunity not doing that & adding Spanish as a language. 

Look on Star Forge.  A good size of the population is Spanish as a primary language.  But Spanish - while a dominant language of South America - isn't the only one.  Have to remember that Brazil is Portuguese for their official language.  Hand several countries n the Caribbean is Dutch and French as well.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Blakinik said:

Look on Star Forge.  A good size of the population is Spanish as a primary language.  But Spanish - while a dominant language of South America - isn't the only one.  Have to remember that Brazil is Portuguese for their official language.  Hand several countries n the Caribbean is Dutch and French as well.

True. And excuse my ignorance, but isn’t Portuguese similar enough to Spanish that the cross over in understanding is less than say French to English? 

On 2/28/2023 at 9:13 PM, TrixxieTriss said:

😞 I thought you did, sorry. BioWare missed a big opportunity not doing that & adding Spanish as a language. 

And Portuguese. Don't forget Portuguese. And yeah it sucks not having our own servers, I've always had to play with triple digit ping and I envy friends of mine that play games like Valorant, League of Legends or CS and they're able to play with much lower pings. Alas I don't like those types of games so I don't have many options 😛

On 2/28/2023 at 10:07 PM, TrixxieTriss said:

True. And excuse my ignorance, but isn’t Portuguese similar enough to Spanish that the cross over in understanding is less than say French to English? 

Its similar enough to understand some of it, besides Portuguese having a more complex grammar the pronunciation is completely different and sometimes the same word can have wildly distinct meanings in both languages. They're sisters languages but they're still very different from one another, so a Spanish translation wouldn't suffice (its why these days its pretty much the norm for games to come out here with PT-BR subtitles, and dubbing is becoming more common which is great) That is of course, assuming BWA would want to tap into the Brazilian market which despite our economic turmoils is pretty big, though IDK how big MMOs are these days here. I'd assume still quite profitable since I don't see Blizzard running our servers out of the goodness of their heart. 

Edited by FlameYOL
  • Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 8:07 PM, TrixxieTriss said:

I barely speak Spanish (and very poorly as it is), but I think its close on the structural basis but different enough to be its own language.  I just mentioned it because of Brazil's size and misunderstanding that all of Latin America is Spanish :)

Otherwise we all good :) 

11 hours ago, Blakinik said:

I barely speak Spanish (and very poorly as it is), but I think its close on the structural basis but different enough to be its own language.  I just mentioned it because of Brazil's size and misunderstanding that all of Latin America is Spanish :)

Otherwise we all good :) 

Correct, they're sister-languages but Portuguese has more complex grammar, different pronunciation and vocabulary (even when the word is the same the meaning is not).  Brazil isn't only big in size but also in population, as far as South America is concerned we account for nearly half of the population. Around 214 million people. So its a pretty big market to explore. Now when you include all of Latin America and not just the countries in South America but also the ones in Central America then we're not half of it, though we're still the most populous.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.