Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

So why did so many quit the game over the years?

jedipattawan

On 2/6/2023 at 3:00 PM, Chryptyk said:

They would gain immense respect for admitting mistakes.  it's ok to be wrong about something.  what needs to happen after that is those mistakes need to be fixed though.  

Businesses thrive by making a good product and keeping customers happy, or at least giving them the perception that they are trying to do so.

This. Same thing happened when Coca-Cola had to make Coke Classic instead of "New Coke"

• Like 1

There are 2 things that they could do that would improve things.

1.PVP.  Don't make PUGs fight pre-mades. I did start playing pvp fairly recently, and its really not fun to have to slog through constant defeats if you play as a PUG. I mainly play it for 

A. conquest &

B. gear &

C. decorations. 

That makes it time consuming, as you have to play MORE matches if you lose a match than if you win one, to get the weekly done to get 

X. conquest points

Y. gear and

Z. pvp  decorations for your stronghold.

2nd thing is : they really need to get a Spanish-language server. Although English is my native language, and I'm not of Spanish heritage, I did take 3 years of Spanish in High School. I actually got use for it when I moved to the Bronx back in the 1980s because most of my neighbors were Spanish-speaking.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DWho said:

And the guy who had the New Coke idea got fired.

We all make mistakes.   Some folks learn ...  others well you know how it goes:  Those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it!  We can either learn ... or play the part of the proverbial ostrich and stick our heads in the sand (** see note).  Thing is ... when our heads are stuck in the sand like that  ... leaves us in a most compromising and embarrassing position!
😲
(**note) ...  yes I'm quite aware that the ostrich does not really bury their heads in the sand when in trouble hoping that the danger will simply go away .. total myth! 

• Thanks 1

On 2/5/2023 at 10:54 PM, TrixxieTriss said:

That’s an interesting point about no Spanish translation being in the game. Especially when there are more countries in the world that natively speak Spanish than English, French & German combined. 
And with America having such a large population of Spanish speaking people, it wouldn’t have been that difficult to incorporate Spanish voice actors during the original development. 

On the other hand, more people speak Mandarin Chinese than Spanish, English, French, and German combined. 😉

5 minutes ago, JediQuaker said:

On the other hand, more people speak Mandarin Chinese than Spanish, English, French, and German combined. 😉

I've actually wondered why so few games reach out to the far eastern countries.  I know .. their languages can be difficult to learn.  Still a hugely untapped marketplace from our standpoint of view.  I'm not trying to start an argument... just saying that there is a huge group of folks out there that we could reach.  Maybe??  Just saying!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Shayddow said:

This. Same thing happened when Coca-Cola had to make Coke Classic instead of "New Coke"

Bah! We still don't know if the whole thing was just a big marketing trick, like those fake videos about how 'satanic' Monster Energy is. Always be wary of jumping on the bandwagon. 🙂

15 hours ago, Shayddow said:

2nd thing is : they really need to get a Spanish-language server. Although English is my native language, and I'm not of Spanish heritage, I did take 3 years of Spanish in High School. I actually got use for it when I moved to the Bronx back in the 1980s because most of my neighbors were Spanish-speaking.

So, you are suggesting they spend mucho dollars on a Spanish language server just so you can practice your high school Spanish?

It's worth considering that relatively few Americans speak 'only' Spanish. 

4 minutes ago, JediQuaker said:

Bah! We still don't know if the whole thing was just a big marketing trick, like those fake videos about how 'satanic' Monster Energy is. Always be wary of jumping on the bandwagon. 🙂

Ummm  actually the caffeine and sugar levels in some of those "energy drinks" really is not good for your heart bud!  I use to enjoy them on a regular basis.  Aside from weight gain ... I finally had to back off.  Now I MIGHT drink one ... in a month ... MAYBE?

Just saying .. my doctor (and Mrs Buzz) got into the discussion!  (If you catch my drift).
😉

A part of me will always belong in SWTOR.

But there remains too many glaring issues that need to be addressed, some seemingly new to 7.0, such as the poor class balance, with Ranged getting shafted big time. In some cases, I'm dead in five seconds.

I might revisit it in the future, even just to test the waters once again for a mere month.

Edited by ForfiniteStories
redundancy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, OlBuzzard said:

Ummm  actually the caffeine and sugar levels in some of those "energy drinks" really is not good for your heart bud!  I use to enjoy them on a regular basis.  Aside from weight gain ... I finally had to back off.  Now I MIGHT drink one ... in a month ... MAYBE?

Just saying .. my doctor (and Mrs Buzz) got into the discussion!  (If you catch my drift).
😉

I was referring to actual 'Satanism' not 'poor nutrition'. 🙂

If you haven't seen the videos, it's about the design of the Monster Logo, etc.

None of the 'energy drinks' are good for you. I tried a 'Red Bull' a few years ago - yuck - it was like drinking raw sugar sweetened with sugar. 🙂

Edited by JediQuaker

43 minutes ago, JediQuaker said:

I was referring to actual 'Satanism' not 'poor nutrition'. 🙂

If you haven't seen the videos, it's about the design of the Monster Logo, etc.

None of the 'energy drinks' are good for you. I tried a 'Red Bull' a few years ago - yuck - it was like drinking raw sugar sweetened with sugar. 🙂

Now that you have mentioned it .. yes I do recall the logo thing! (sorry ... senior moment there bud!)

I can handle Red Bull ... just not that often.  There was another one that has more of a citrus flavor to it... that one was a bit of a weakness (you could actually enjoy the taste).  As for the poor nutrition ...  trust me Mrs. Buzz watches that sort of thing closely!  Very closely!  LOL !!  (Can't complain though. Life has been good to us!)

We'd better be careful... getting OT! (no offense to OP)

Edited by OlBuzzard

6 hours ago, JediQuaker said:

Totally agree. I’ve brought that up many years ago as a missed opportunity for BioWare. Seeing as ASIA is the most populous gaming region in the world. 

But Spanish being omitted is just strange when you consider they added French & German. Spain is also in Europe. Spanish is also spoken in America, Central America & South America as well as Phillipines. That’s a lot of people. Wasn’t there even a South American server at one point or am I wrong about that? 

1 hour ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Totally agree. I’ve brought that up many years ago as a missed opportunity for BioWare. Seeing as ASIA is the most populous gaming region in the world. 

But Spanish being omitted is just strange when you consider they added French & German. Spain is also in Europe. Spanish is also spoken in America, Central America & South America as well as Phillipines. That’s a lot of people. Wasn’t there even a South American server at one point or am I wrong about that? 

Bottom line:  VA's.  Someone inside of EA/BW had to decide what languages would best fit the game and those to whom they were attempting to reach out to!  I'm NOT suggesting that it was the right choice to exclude Spanish speaking patrons!

2 minutes ago, OlBuzzard said:

Bottom line:  VA's.  Someone inside of EA/BW had to decide what languages would best fit the game and those to whom they were attempting to reach out to!  I'm NOT suggesting that it was the right choice to exclude Spanish speaking patrons!

In my opinion, it’s just a weird choice to exclude Spanish, but include French. At least with German, there are other EU countries that speak it. With French, it’s just France & Belgium. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

In my opinion, it’s just a weird choice to exclude Spanish, but include French. At least with German, there are other EU countries that speak it. With French, it’s just France & Belgium. 

IMO that's WAAAAY over my pay grade!  But I can think of at least one good thing we have right here on the forums that we have benefitted from (as things are now) !

😉

13 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Oh, oh. TrixxieTriss just became a bad word in Quebec. 😂

23 hours ago, JediQuaker said:

23 hours ago, OlBuzzard said:

I've actually wondered why so few games reach out to the far eastern countries.  I know .. their languages can be difficult to learn.  Still a hugely untapped marketplace from our standpoint of view.  I'm not trying to start an argument... just saying that there is a huge group of folks out there that we could reach.  Maybe??  Just saying!

As far as i know for my limited knowledge (and information i was given) China has many laws when it comes to commerce, one of them is if you want to release the game in china only a Chinese company can do it, so Bioware would need to reach a deal for a Chinese company to publish the game in china. Like what happened with WoW, blizzard made a deal with NetEase, but then Blizzard wanted more money from the deal with NetEase and they didn't want to pay it so WoW shut down in china last month leaving millions of people without their account and ability to play. Unless Tencent buys EA i would highly doubt Swtor will e released in China. And even then maybe because Swtor is a Disney IP they can't do it? Idk the law that much

16 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

I'd guess because the game was targeted at release as a $15 sub a month, and $15 for most Spanish speaking people is way more  than what $15 dollar is for Americans and in their numbers didn't warrant to pay VA with how many subs they would get. But english VA and spanish sub could bring more spanish speaking people since most of them are also used to watch movies that way 

Edited by xxSHOONYxx

27 minutes ago, xxSHOONYxx said:

I'd guess because the game was targeted at release as a $15 sub a month, and $15 for most Spanish speaking people is way more  than what $15 dollar is for Americans and in their numbers didn't warrant to pay VA with how many subs they would get. But english VA and spanish sub could bring more spanish speaking people since most of them are also used to watch movies that way 

Pretty sure Spain uses the Euro. And if you want to look at conversion rates, we had subs for Aussies & NZ servers at $15 local currency which is a lot less than the US dollar, Euro or Pound. So I think you’re point lacks substance if that’s what you’re trying to base it on.

3 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

I always thought the Swiss spoke German. But I accept you would know better than me living in France.

Actually, the part of France where I live isn't anywhere near Switzerland, but my dad spent six months in the late 70s working as IT support at CERN (right next to Geneva), which is mostly how I know about the French-speaking part of Switzerland.

3 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

So thank you for teaching me something new 😎

In the northern and central parts, including around Zurich, they speak German (the majority language).  In the western parts, especially around Geneva and Lausanne, they speak French.  In the south, they speak Italian, while some areas in the eastern end, they speak Romansh.  And you're welcome.

1 hour ago, JediQuaker said:

Oh, oh. TrixxieTriss just became a bad word in Quebec. 😂

Québequois is the only French-speaking accent that I can immediately identify where it's from in the French-speaking world, and the vocabulary is ... different ... compared to what you'd hear in France.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Pretty sure Spain uses the Euro. And if you want to look at conversion rates, we had subs for Aussies & NZ servers at $15 local currency which is a lot less than the US dollar, Euro or Pound. So I think you’re point lacks substance if that’s what you’re trying to base it on.

Spain uses euro same as France, but spain has 47m vs the 67m population France has. And you give as examples countries that did not requiere other language as Australia and New Zeland which are English speaking countries and could pay in their currency.
I had to live in south america due to work for some years and I had guildies at the beginning on the game from South American countries and they paid in Dollars not in their currency, until steam came out and gave them the option to pay in their own currency. The difference comes from the other Spainsh speaking countries, where the "Spanish commmunity" surpases the french and german speaking countries.
Look at the 4 highest Spanish speaking countries outside of Spain in population. At release when they had to pay 15 dollars by what i was told, as much as they would have wanted to play only a handful of people would have bought a sub
Mexico, with 131m population, but mexico's minimum wage is 232 dollars a month according to google, for a 15 dollar sub
Colombia, 51.2m population, but Colombia's minimum wage is 274 dollars a month according to google, for a 15 dollar sub
Argentina, 45.8m population, but Argentina's minimum wage is 356 dollars a month according to google, for a 15 dollar sub
Venezuela, 28.2m population, but Venezuela's minimum wage is 5.3 dollars a month according to google, for a 15 dollars sub

Now with steam it changed a bit, if curious:

Mexico, with 131m population, but mexico's minimum wage is 232 dollars a month according to google, for  21 dollar sub according to steamdb
Colombia, 51.2m population, but Colombia's minimum wage is 274 dollars a month according to google, for 12.65 dollar sub according to steamdb
Argentina, 45.8m population, but Argentina's minimum wage is 356 dollars a month according to google, for a 4.9 dollar sub acording to steamdb
Venezuela is not even listed. 

Edited by xxSHOONYxx
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.