The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

remove the name restrictions

commandertemis

look I think its time to remove the same name restriction it makes starting a new character a nightmare god knows how many new players can't find a available name and just don't bother picking up the game.

i know what this could do for community stuff like friending and markets and the like and there is a simple work around have it all run though our display names so people can pick whatever name they want and it doesn't effect the rest of the game its a simple thing that would make starting a new character so much easier if anyone has any better idea's for a better alternative i would love to hear it but as it stands this is a issue that could so easily be fixed.

This topic has been discussed frequently.  I firmly believe that no one should lose their name because some else wants it. However, I understand that the current naming system has limitations. There are work arounds such as using last name first. Alt codes can work as well but may cause issues if players try to whisper or mail you.  I wouldn't be against an account "Nick Name" system so people can have the same name per se but different IDs. Plenty of people in the community have suggested other things as well.  

59 minutes ago, commandertemis said:

i know what this could do for community stuff like friending and markets and the like and there is a simple work around have it all run though our display names so people can pick whatever name they want and it doesn't effect the rest of the game

Sure it wouldn't as long as you didn't mind no longer being able to use the mail system or that someone using the same name as was being a total jerk in chat, or a guild, got you blacklisted.

2 hours ago, commandertemis said:

can't find a available name and just don't bother picking up the game

Amusing. I'd love to actually see that narrative supported by a despondent former player who said "I spent an hour downloading 46 gigabytes of a game and after not being creative enough to establish a name at the beginning of the game, I stopped playing."

Getting a name is easy. Randomize it. Highlight it, copy it via Control-C.  Randomize the name again. Now hit a space, which you can add in a name, and Control-V the second name after the first name you randomized (or before if you like). Done.

At one point I had 168 toons across five accounts. Over time I've created and deleted easily hundreds more toons, and I somehow found names for all of them.

One way, themes. My first 10 characters were comprised mostly of Gaelic names. There's all sorts of ways to create names.

All I see when I read "I can't create a name" is "I'm creatively bankrupt."

Edited by xordevoreaux
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, commandertemis said:

look I think its time to remove the same name restriction it makes starting a new character a nightmare god knows how many new players can't find a available name and just don't bother picking up the game.

i know what this could do for community stuff like friending and markets and the like and there is a simple work around have it all run though our display names so people can pick whatever name they want and it doesn't effect the rest of the game its a simple thing that would make starting a new character so much easier if anyone has any better idea's for a better alternative i would love to hear it but as it stands this is a issue that could so easily be fixed.

Names of characters are unique in MMORPGs for a reason, mostly because there has to be a unique identifier for ==> that character that's easy for players to type.

In SWTOR, if you can't summon enough creative juices to make a unique single-word name, make a two-word name, e.g. Yerka Kolar or Kylara Nightsong or Jjo Cruikshank.  Note: none of those will work for you on The Leviathan because they are just three of my characters' names on that servers.