Transfer characters from Reps to Imps

Dlakavi_Guzonja

I love the idea, I just don't think it's feasible.  If your Sith Warrior wanted to go over to the Jedi, where in the story would they be placed? The beginning? The equivalent level? what about your companions and starship? Would you just by default become a knight, or would consular be open to you? What about voice acting? 

This is something that would have needed to be established at launch-- while many compromises could be made, I just don't see it happening.

Really, really wish it were easily doable though.

Easy or not, there are so many questions and problems that it's not funny.

For starters, why only Rep==> Imp?  ;)  (Yes, I'm yanking your chain here...)

I've commented on this in the past, and I think my preferred solution is to leave it alone and not do it, subject to the following analysis, to be adapted for the changes introduced by 7.0: Faction change token - Cartel Market Suggestions - SWTOR | Forums

On 3/29/2020 at 12:27 PM, SteveTheCynic said:

That was actually my thought. Maybe change the names on the opposite factions, but keep the class identity. The names below are just my thoughts on the matter, and I'm open to suggestions, especially for an equivalent of Powertech, where I totally lacked inspiration and where online thesauruses are *no* help at all.

Pub ==> Imp:

* Commando ==> Black Ops Commando (Black Ops being my vision of the Imp equivalent of Havoc Squad)

* Vanguard ==> Black Ops Vanguard

* Trooper ==> Black Ops Trooper (If you can think of something else that avoids the "BOT" abbreviation, go for it!)

* Gunslinger ==> Shooter (look up your Old West terminology!)

* Scoundrel ==> (digs in thesaurus) Swindler

* Smuggler ==> (still got that thesaurus open) Runner

* Jedi (anything) ==> Fallen Jedi (that thing) (avoids the problem of finding a translation of "Consular")

Imp ==> Pub:

* Mercenary ==> Freelancer

* Powertech ==> ((help me out here!))

* Bounty Hunter ==> Stalker (weak at best, and if you have better ideas, I'd be glad to hear them)

* Sniper ==> Rifleman (it's not an ideal conversion, but the two best are already in use: who would want to change from being a "Marksmanship Sniper" to being a "Marksmanship Marksman"?)

* Operative ==> Spook ("operative" is normally an adjective equivalent to "functional" or "operational"...)(1)

* Imperial Agent ==> Provocateur (whatever we put here would be contentious(2))

* Sith (anything) ==> Redeemed Sith (that thing)

(1) Operative isn't the only class named for an adjective. "Consular" is an adjective that describes things or activities related to consulates (and the implied consulate in a modern embassy), as opposed to "ambassadorial" which refers to things related specifically to an embassy or more narrowly to the ambassador him/her self. Mapping Jedi Consular to Fallen Jedi Consular avoided that issue.

(2) "Republic Agent" is a spectacularly bad alternative, since it would instantly attract complaints about a lack of "Republic Agent class story". In addition, "Provocateur" is a pretty good description of much of what the Agent does during the class story.

Granted, the specifics wouldn't be quite the same, specifically they would just bother with changing the origin names, something like this:

• Trooper => Black Ops Trooper
  • Smuggler => Runner
  • Jedi Consular => Fallen Jedi Consular
  • Jedi Knight => Fallen Jedi Knight
  • Bounty Hunter => Freelancer
  • Imperial Agent => Provocateur
  • Sith Warrior => Redeemed Sith Warrior
  • Sith Inquisitor => Redeemed Sith Inquisitor

And to transfer the character to an area compatible with the new faction (opposite Fleet or Capital World, Odessen, Nar Shaddaa Promenade, etc.).

And to exclude the character from all non-repeatable content previous to the moment in the game's story where the character transferred.  (It would be a reasonable extension of the Saboteur storyline, but set after all existing content.)

And to require people to tolerate incorrect greetings in repeatable content.  If your Redeemed Sith Warrior goes to do The Esseles, you get greeted as if you are a Republic origin rather than a special greeting for Imperial origins.

Hmm.  Looks like it's starting to be *expensive* for them to build, and loaded with oddities for us as players.  Perhaps not.

• Like 1

SteveTheCynic you went to far in a direction which is to complicated. Also it means from rep to imp and from imp to rep...

Anyway to simplify the idea.

It should be simple to switch sides like its simple to chose 1 of 2 different classes, just by clicking a button. So if you play as Marauder on imp side and someday it comes to your mind that you want to be on rep side, but still marauder ofc, than you just click the button and you play as mara on rep side. So the difference for choosing sides will be only actually in choosing rep or imp fleet and some other stuff.

Example if you chose to play from the beginning marauder but on rep side, than your first planet will be Korriban, but when you come to fleet you will be on Republic fleet. Also for this i suggest 1 of 2 options and 1st option is for such player a possibility to choose only republic guilds or 2nd option is to remove the barriers of rep/imp guilds and to select any of them. This can seem to someone complicated but its not, and this is right moment when we can choose 2 classes per character. We can be imperial characters on the republic side. I hope you understand what im suggesting...

Edited by Dlakavi_Guzonja

2 hours ago, Dlakavi_Guzonja said:

SteveTheCynic you went to far in a direction which is to complicated. Also it means from rep to imp and from imp to rep...

"too", please, not "to"...

If you meant "change factions in either direction" you should have said so.  And you should have paid attention to this thing that I said:

9 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

(Yes, I'm yanking your chain here...)

Anyway, no, I didn't go nearly far enough.  Think about what your idea would actually mean in-game, please.

It should be simple to switch sides like its simple to chose 1 of 2 different classes, just by clicking a button.

OK, but how would it work if you switch, say, when you are on the Balmorra or Taris segment of your class story?  You know, when every single NPC will try to kill you immediately that you switch?  Or if you are on the Fleet, when the same applies, *and* every one of your formerly allied players will try to kill you?

So if you play as Marauder on imp side and someday it comes to your mind that you want to be on rep side, but still marauder ofc, than you just click the button and you play as mara on rep side. So the difference for choosing sides will be only actually in choosing rep or imp fleet and some other stuff.

"Some other stuff"???????????   If the switch can be made earlier than the point in the story where they implement this, and if it can be done anywhere that's not "bifaction sanctuary" (or if it doesn't instantly transport you to the character's new faction's Fleet), then your character dies, almost immediately.

Example if you chose to play from the beginning marauder but on rep side, than your first planet will be Korriban, but when you come to fleet you will be on Republic fleet.

Except that you will have been killed repeatedly by NPCs on Korriban because you are some sort of Republic lapdog, subject to immediate termination.

Also for this i suggest 1 of 2 options and 1st option is for such player a possibility to choose only republic guilds or 2nd option is to remove the barriers of rep/imp guilds and to select any of them. This can seem to someone complicated but its not, and this is right moment when we can choose 2 classes per character.

No, it has essentially nothing to do with the two-combat style thing.

We can be imperial characters on the republic side. I hope you understand what im suggesting...

No.  We can be Pubside origin with Impside combat styles, or vice versa, which is nothing to do with anything in this suggestion.

On 12/30/2022 at 12:29 AM, SteveTheCynic said:

OK, but how would it work if you switch, say, when you are on the Balmorra or Taris segment of your class story?  You know, when every single NPC will try to kill you immediately that you switch?  Or if you are on the Fleet, when the same applies, *and* every one of your formerly allied players will try to kill you?

"Some other stuff"???????????   If the switch can be made earlier than the point in the story where they implement this, and if it can be done anywhere that's not "bifaction sanctuary" (or if it doesn't instantly transport you to the character's new faction's Fleet), then your character dies, almost immediately.

Except that you will have been killed repeatedly by NPCs on Korriban because you are some sort of Republic lapdog, subject to immediate termination.

Ok i understand what you saying, but maybe than not that simple as i was writing. Anyway it would be good if there is some way to switch characters from there to here.

Everquest 2 has faction flipping. You can start on an evil toon in an evil city, and begin what is known as the betrayal quest, and wind up good in an good city (the quest line for this is tedious, but it works).  I'd have to look, but I believe EQ2's equivalent of the cartel market has a faction-flipping token, not sure. They've tokens for practically everything else.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.