Launcher issue (non-steam)

-Alma-

Was happily playing the game, closed it down, went to log back in, the launcher updated itself automatically, now when I click on the Play button, it does nothing.

Have deleted the swtor installation folder and all its files and redownload and installed the game twice, but still the same. Nothing happens when I click play. No option to scan the files for integrity as its unavailable on the launcher.

Have granted launcher.exe and swtor.exr access through firewall and run as administrator. Am able to log in using the launcher AOK, just not run the game.

PC spec is AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 16gb ram, Nvidia 2060 RTX using Windows 10. Never had any issues playing the game until this recent launcher update.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Edited by -Alma-
  • Like 1

I got the new launcher October 6, I think is when it installed.  Since then, there’s no real change in how fast the game loads, but the launcher usually just spins a blue circle on the right panel.  Maybe it would eventually work itself out, but I haven’t let it go for more than about 5 minutes.

it seems to happen the second time I load the game, or after the PC has been on for a while.  Rebooting the computer solves it, but that’s time consuming.  So far, the most reliable work around I’ve found is to enter password without the security code, forcing the game to ask for the code.  Then I enter the code and the game runs without a hitch.  That’s been working for me.

I haven't had any problems since I got the "launcher update" until today. I can't get it to even open to try to do a launcher repair on it.  I play on Star Forge and live in the Northeast. I have rebooted my computer several times, reset my modem and my router, still no launcher screen.  I'd love some help or guidance. I generally play "run as administrator" which I click on manually. This is the first time in years I've had issues.

On 10/9/2022 at 12:59 PM, Advocatis said:

I got the new launcher October 6, I think is when it installed.  Since then, there’s no real change in how fast the game loads, but the launcher usually just spins a blue circle on the right panel.  Maybe it would eventually work itself out, but I haven’t let it go for more than about 5 minutes.

it seems to happen the second time I load the game, or after the PC has been on for a while.  Rebooting the computer solves it, but that’s time consuming.  So far, the most reliable work around I’ve found is to enter password without the security code, forcing the game to ask for the code.  Then I enter the code and the game runs without a hitch.  That’s been working for me.

So, I was wrong. This worked for me for 4 or 5 days, now I have to reboot computer every time I want to play SWTOR.  That’s not going to last much longer for me.

Hi, i have same problem (asus tuf A15 ryzen 5 nvidia 1650 win 10 64-bit )  and .... maybe i found solution :

I have install last version of nvidia experience drivers and game has launch (on original windows drivers game has not launched)

I have also made run as administrator for windows 7

let me know it helps you. I hope YES

May the force be with You

28 minutes ago, Ahaya said:

Hi, i have same problem (asus tuf A15 ryzen 5 nvidia 1650 win 10 64-bit )  and .... maybe i found solution :

I have install last version of nvidia experience drivers and game has launch (on original windows drivers game has not launched)

I have also made run as administrator for windows 7

let me know it helps you. I hope YES

May the force be with You

Thank you for your suggestions, I did try but as there was nvidia drivers update for me. And I changed it to run as administrator for windows 7.

I was hoping it did but unfortunately it did not work for me. On my end, the issue with the 'Play' button does not launch the actual game.

On 10/11/2022 at 11:03 AM, Advocatis said:

So, I was wrong. This worked for me for 4 or 5 days, now I have to reboot computer every time I want to play SWTOR.  That’s not going to last much longer for me.

Advocatis
Last time a game issue required a computer to be rebooted to get the game to launch , it was due to bitdefender locking the game files 

so just to confirm your not using bitdefender

I have been doing some more testing and found the problem for my PC.  I use Avira Antivirus.  To enable the launcher to work and install the game I had to disable both "Real-time scanning" and "Web Protection".  Now, whilst the game was downloading, if I switched RTS back on, the download would halt.  Disable it again, 'DL' would resume.  At this point WP could be switched on.  The game then launched, could be played.

I inserted exceptions for SWTOR executable files into the AV but upon trying, the launcher still crashed and required the the two protections to be turned off temporarily, even after a reboot. 

This temporary 'fix' hasn't stopped it dropping me back to the character select screen even after choosing one and clicking 'PLAY'.  At least the game runs!!

So, is it an AntiVirus program update that has caused the problem, or, a launcher update?  Personally, I'd be lead believe to a launcher issue, something has changed within that now triggers the AntiVirus systems.

Hope this helps you and others.

I believe I discovered a possible bug with the new launcher.

If I use the enter key on the log in or play screens instead of clicking on the buttons, the game shuts down and I have to relaunch the launcher. 

Other than that, it seems to work well enough. I guess we'll see when 7.1.1 has to download.

13 minutes ago, MishaCantu said:

I believe I discovered a possible bug with the new launcher.

If I use the enter key on the log in or play screens instead of clicking on the buttons, the game shuts down and I have to relaunch the launcher.

hmm,  i hit  *enter*  most of the time (even with new launcher recently)  and i've never encountered what you say.  I'll test it a few times later (and tomorrow) to be sure.   Otherwise....Perhaps it's something else?  (which could be only on your end ---Did you get any 'crash logs' ? )

Edited by Nee-Elder

10 minutes ago, Nee-Elder said:

hmm,  i hit  *enter*  most of the time (even with new launcher recently)  and i've never encountered what you say.  I'll test it a few times later (and tomorrow) to be sure.   Otherwise....Perhaps it's something else?  (which could be only on your end ---Did you get any 'crash logs' ? )

I would if I knew where to find a crash log. I didn't see any in the logs folder. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks. I am having issues with the "Play" button which greys out and lights up when clicked again and so it repeats. I have a new pc which came with Win11 installed. I have no hyphen in my username and have no bitraider files. I do not play on Steam. Other games installed I have no issues with. If anyone can offer advice it would be appreciated.

On 11/11/2022 at 12:47 PM, Dianahartz said:

Hi folks. I am having issues with the "Play" button which greys out and lights up when clicked again and so it repeats. I have a new pc which came with Win11 installed. I have no hyphen in my username and have no bitraider files. I do not play on Steam. Other games installed I have no issues with. If anyone can offer advice it would be appreciated.

I recedntly build a new computer myself and ran into this issue as well; Play button is greyed out, becomes active when clicked, then greyed out when clicked and nothing appears to happen. This to me says that there is an error message somewhere, yet it is not being displayed to the user and therefore, the user cannot know what goes wrong. I jumped to the Q&A and found that adding the files launcher.exe and swtor.exe (I never had any knoweledge of this file) being added to the exception list of your firewall might help. I added the swtor.exe file and just for the heck of it, I executed it. That's when I found the error message of the file "d3dx9_38.dll cannot be found." I dutifully Googled said file and found it is, as I was suspecting, part of DirectX. The added suggestion to (re)install MS DirextX resolved my issue beautifully. I can now login using the non-Steam game-launcher without any issues.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1