Juggernaut build/gearing question

gethynx

Newish player, looking for help as far as what build and what gearing/stat priority is probably best for what I'd be doing.

PVP - rarely would be interested in PVP, but if I did any, I'd want to prioritize survivability. I'd be solo-queing for random/unranked PVP but would like to be especially suited for 1v1/duels.

PVE - would mainly just be doing solo content and want great survivability there as well. For groups, I wouldn't mind tanking, but would prefer hiding out with the dps and don't care if I've got the best dps.

That being said, I'm torn between immortal and vengeance. Which would be best for what I'm looking for?

As for gear and stat priority, should I be using strictly vengeance, rage, or immortal gear? If I should be using a mixture, then what would that be? What should be the order for the stat priorities?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Really love my juggernaut, but I'm just never certain that I'm using the right build and gear. 

Edited by gethynx

PVP - if survivability is your thing and you still want to do damage, go skank tank. That means Immortal spec with DPS gear on. Immortal spec does very good damage due to all the inherent crit/dmg bonuses built into the spec. Use a shield OH with DPS mods in it.

PVE- I mean if you are just doing solo stuff and like Veng, just go Veng. As far as survivability when soloing, more dps is better survivability. The longer an encounter goes on, the more likely you are to die. Veng Juggs have amazing AOE dps with the Cut To Pieces tactical, so you can kill small adds fast, especially with Shatter Burst talent. You have great defensive cooldowns as well.

This set up would allow you to focus on just getting your dps gear, which is optimal. You should focus on 1 gear set at a time, as if you mix between getting tank and dps gear, it just means you won't be good at any one thing for longer. Since your focus is on solo content, tanking gear won't be very useful to you anyway,

For stats, you want to get to 110% accuracy first and foremost, that's 2694. Then you want 7.15% alacrity which is 2054 for the 1.4 GCD. You may want to get an extra alacrity augment or two to go over the 7.15% cap to smooth out your GCDs and then dump the rest into crit.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Akureng said:

PVP - if survivability is your thing and you still want to do damage, go skank tank. That means Immortal spec with DPS gear on. Immortal spec does very good damage due to all the inherent crit/dmg bonuses built into the spec. Use a shield OH with DPS mods in it.

PVE- I mean if you are just doing solo stuff and like Veng, just go Veng. As far as survivability when soloing, more dps is better survivability. The longer an encounter goes on, the more likely you are to die. Veng Juggs have amazing AOE dps with the Cut To Pieces tactical, so you can kill small adds fast, especially with Shatter Burst talent. You have great defensive cooldowns as well.

This set up would allow you to focus on just getting your dps gear, which is optimal. You should focus on 1 gear set at a time, as if you mix between getting tank and dps gear, it just means you won't be good at any one thing for longer. Since your focus is on solo content, tanking gear won't be very useful to you anyway,

For stats, you want to get to 110% accuracy first and foremost, that's 2694. Then you want 7.15% alacrity which is 2054 for the 1.4 GCD. You may want to get an extra alacrity augment or two to go over the 7.15% cap to smooth out your GCDs and then dump the rest into crit.

Thank you! 👍

So I tried going with vengeance and the appropriate gear for that, and it did seem to do much better than immortal tank for both solo content, like heroics, and seemed to perform just fine as a dps in grouping for flaspoints. Mobs appeared to go down faster, equating to better survivability overall. Would shank tank be just as viable though, in solo pve content? Could you go immortal, wear dps gear, and do about the same or is vengeance just plain better for soloing pve content?

Personally I like skank tanking solo stuff. I get to have all accuracy without having any  of it in my gear, leaving room for alacrity and more crit and things die fast enough. So yeah, if you have access to the mod vendor, make yourself a skank tank set. It's definitely worth it.

• Like 1

If you are going to be doing flashpoints, I would not recommend doing skank tank. First, you won't do as much damage as you would in a straight dps spec. When doing group content you should try to perform your role the best you can. Secondly, many of your abilties have threat multipliers when in Immortal spec, which could lead to aggro issues with the person actually tanking. So you may pull threat while not doing great damage, which would be really annoying.

Outside of group content like that, if you are soloing stuff and prefer being immortal in dps gear, fill your boots.

• Like 1