Why do the Mobs just stand around idle until you engage them?

ilovedu

As my title says I feel like one of the worst parts about this game is stationary the entire game world is. I feel like my character is just moving around a museum rather than exploring a world. Not to mention all the planets feel like huge instances with guided hallways rather than open planets. The whole thing just feels so stiff and boring, does anyone else share these sentiments?

MMO games are not known for creating interactive exciting environments. If monsters roamed, attacked randomly, and did anything other than stand there, most players would be confused, startled, confused some more. MMOS are by nature not designed for intellectuals.

As my title says I feel like one of the worst parts about this game is stationary the entire game world is. I feel like my character is just moving around a museum rather than exploring a world. Not to mention all the planets feel like huge instances with guided hallways rather than open planets. The whole thing just feels so stiff and boring, does anyone else share these sentiments?

I got to level 10 and went off the starter world.

This is the price you pay for a story based online game instead of a sandbox, SWTOR isn't so much an MMO as a multiplayer campiagn game.

That makes no sense whatsoever. SWG for instance had nothing but, "mobs standing around doing nothing."

What I mean is, in most other MMOs the mobs would atleast move around on a set path even if it was just in a very small area. However in this game the Mobs are always placed in the exact same spot every time and do not move at all unless provoked

Another thing that struck me about this is that it's going to make the game very Botting friendly in the near future, since paths can be set and passed around between everyone since there is no variation in object location at all.

I'm level 25 on my character and my friend is level 34, I've screwed around on his character aswell it's the same everywhere

Sure you did.

If you really leveled up, there are NPC's walking around everywhere, you can evesdrop on conversations they have.

Heck, even on Nar Shaddaa they have strippers dancing in bikini's and pole dancing.

MMO games are not known for creating interactive exciting environments. If monsters roamed, attacked randomly, and did anything other than stand there, most players would be confused, startled, confused some more. MMOS are by nature not designed for intellectuals.

I really wish SWTOR borrowed some ideas from Rift one of my favoritest MMO next to this game and APB. Having an active alive world like rift in ToR and having monthly content updates like rift would be my dream come true /droool x.x

inb4 nerdrage from fanboys due to mentioning another MMO.

I Like Both Rift And SW:ToR And Play Both. Its my opinion deal with it.

Edited by MinkyMike

That is completely not true and a poor excuse. There are plenty of MMOs that break this mold. This game should be one of them.

Actually I don't mean to be "That WoW guy" but WoW does more of this than SWTOR

Sorry, I was referring to the fact that most threads are about how TOR doesn't do X Y & Z from WoW, but if they copy the same stationary NPCs from WoW, oh the heavens are falling.

For the record, I made a long post about this during beta testing imploring Bioware to add more patrols etc. and actually they have listened. It's not as much as I'd like, but it is more than was there before.

I don't think people really understand what I was talking about in this thread.

I'm not saying there should be mobs that run around like chickens with their heads cut off. But they don't need to stand completely still. In other games the mobs will atleast pace around a little bit.

the mobs move around and patrol in my game... just like in swg...

what do you want them to do? besides potentially creating more server lag...

I really wish SWTOR borrowed some ideas from Rift one of my favoritest MMO next to this game and APB. Having an active alive world like rift in ToR and having monthly content updates like rift would be my dream come true /droool x.x

I hated RIFT for one reason. The CONSTANT mob invasions forcing you to stop what you're doing and go fight them. Nearly as bad as a PvP game.

Not what I want in my ENTERTAINMENT.

Because if every mob in visual range aggroed on you, you'd be dead. And if there were so few mobs in visual range that you could handle them all, you'd be talking about how empty the world is. Further, the more moving figures you have in a region, the more lag there is, because the server has to do pathing and parsing for that many more models at a time. Trust me, you'd be ************ more about the lag than you are about the empty world.

Sure, it's hilarious when I massacre three factory workers, and three others stand there 20 feet away and don't do anything. However, there's a lot of game design issues/reasons why this is so, and whining about it without offering a more effective mechanic makes you look petulant and foolish. If you think you can design a better game, do so.

You're also factually incorrect -- there are quite a few wandering/patrolling mobs, including Elite types, and I've had to carefully duck/dodge them when moving through some areas. The cities have NPCs who are not quest givers but who engage in conversations with each other, which can be entertaining to listen to. Furthermore, the world is much more open and conducive to exploration than those of other themepark MMOs (cough Conan cough). STWOR actually rewards exploration and doing things without being told to -- I've discovered quests by wandering into areas on my own, or gained Codex entries by attacking monsters without being instructed to do so for a quest.