1.5m subs, best in launch history

Yowfatto

My bet is that it has 800k when free playtime is over.

And if it does, they should be doing cartwheels for joy for the $12 million a month in revenue this would be generating.

People need to get over WoW's millions of subscribers. A game doesn't need to beat WoW to have staying power. It just needs to be profitable.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you've GOT to be kidding me. lacking story quality? this is the only MMO i've ever played where I always am conscious that there even is a story.

did anybody ever bother to read quest text in Wow? I sure didn't care why I was collecting 7 bird beaks.

I read it. Just as I read the text dialogue in quests in SWTOR. I sure as hell dont wait for the voice actors, save for certain events. Should I go back to WoW as a result???

Edited by Nerdwing

I read it. Just as I read the text dialogue in quests in SWTOR. I sure as hell dont wait for the voice actors, save for certain events.

well, to each his own, i guess.

I listen to the voice actors. I enjoy it. Maybe it's because I'm not trying to race to 50 or whatever, but it makes the game a lot more fun.

And if it does, they should be doing cartwheels for joy for the $12 million a month in revenue this would be generating.

People need to get over WoW's millions of subscribers. A game doesn't need to beat WoW to have staying power. It just needs to be profitable.

well 8 million of WoWs "subscribers" are Chinese, who only have to buy the game and do not pay a monthly subscription.

In reality WoW has less than 2 million actual paying "subscribers"

Sorry to break the cold hard facts to the WoW die hard fans but, if you dont believe me, go google it.

well 8 million of WoWs "subscribers" are Chinese, who only have to buy the game and do not pay a monthly subscription.

Sorry to break the cold hard facts to the WoW die hard fans but, if you dont believe me, go google it.

I googled, and didnt get nay info regarding the "facts" you listed. Could you please link a source?

Actually. Most Chinese players buy time cards similar to how pre-paid cell phones work.

At least according to Wikipedia. So 50/50 chance it's accurate.

I googled, and didnt get nay info regarding the "facts" you listed. Could you please link a source?

Thats because you have crap searching criteria and you only looked at the first 10 pages. Unfortunately Google is being influenced by China, a country that imposes an Internet Curfew.

Hopefully this system of crap doesnt hit the US full force, and Europe full force, without a full scale World War 3.

But yeah its already known and I was there when Blizzard admitted to its subscribers that it was sourcing to China and that they would not be required to pay a monthly fee as part of a deal struck with the Chinese government. Because the Chinese government limits the amount of playtime and internet time that someone can use. Therefore there is no justification for the monthly fee for unlimited usage.

Panda Bears are the Chinese Holy Symbol.

Blizzard years ago swore that they would never put Pandaren in the game as they had no significant role in the story and were just a fluff character in Warcraft lore.

Now you are getting Panda bears.

Go have fun with your crap, and Google, or Bing harder

Edited by Tortoises

The Chinese DO pay. They just do so hourly instead of monthly...

Thats because you have crap searching criteria and you only looked at the first 10 pages. Unfortunately Google is being influenced by China, a country that imposes an Internet Curfew.

Hopefully this system of crap doesnt hit the US full force, and Europe full force, without a full scale World War 3.

But yeah its already known and I was there when Blizzard admitted to its subscribers that it was sourcing to China and that they would not be required to pay a monthly fee as part of a deal struck with the Chinese government. Because the Chinese government limits the amount of playtime and internet time that someone can use. Therefore there is no justification for the monthly fee for unlimited usage.

Panda Bears are the Chinese Holy Symbol.

Blizzard years ago swore that they would never put Pandaren in the game as they had no significant role in the story and were just a fluff character in Warcraft lore.

Now you are getting Panda bears.

Go have fun with your crap, and Google, or Bing harder

Do you have the links to the cold hard facts available? You claimed to have cited them. Or were they also stolen by pandas or whatever-the-hell kind of paranoid BS you just spewed? If the former, then thank you in advance. If the latter, then I'm sorry.

Do you have the links to the cold hard facts available? You claimed to have cited them. Or were they also stolen by pandas or whatever-the-hell kind of paranoid BS you just spewed? If the former, then thank you in advance. If the latter, then I'm sorry.

Did I strike a nerve? I think I did...

Only thing that matters is how many they have on January 21st after the free 30 days ends for pre-orders.

When I read this quote ALL the time, cracks me up, then when the 30 days are up and the game grows they will add another false timeline, honestly only people with some type of agenda keep posting this crap. Normal person who will not like the game, cancels and moves on...people who like the game will not come here and defend why they do. Then theres the forum junkies like me, I shouldnt read the crap but find myself here and getting involved in correcting mis-information etc, my own fault really.

Im drunk now, im having a great time, my wife is leveling up like advised her to.

I was playing earlier, I think Im either going to play Battlefield 3 or ill join my guild in some kickass pvp in SWTOR soon.

Either way im going to have a good time because I have 10 days of vacation ahead of me to just relax.

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png

Well as long as they don't mess up the game as badly as war I'm sure they'll be fine.

This already has more than SWG at launch by 5x and SWG managed to keep their subscribers on for a fairly long time.

This is because there's tonnes of star wars fans that ensure the game won't die after one month.

So keep hating haters. I look forward to not seeing you next month. Maybe the forums and general chat will be finally free of the filthy slave rebellion:csw_vader:.

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png

Well as long as they don't mess up the game as badly as war I'm sure they'll be fine.

This already has more than SWG at launch by 5x and SWG managed to keep their subscribers on for a fairly long time.

This is because there's tonnes of star wars fans that ensure the game won't die after one month.

So keep hating haters. I look forward to not seeing you next month. Maybe the forums and general chat will be finally free of the filthy slave rebellion:csw_vader:.

They will still be here. The haters are mostly those who cant admit to anyone else their grown disdain for WoW, and having built their own un-realistic expectations for SWTOR (in hopes of saving them from their beloved, yet hated WoW), are now bitter because SWTOR did not make them feel like WoW did years ago before they lost the high.

They are the same people who claim that a game as incredibly stable as SWTOR is at launch, with over a million online players, somehow: "failed" was "horrendous" or is "terrible". Yet those of us who have played many many MMO launches know the reality is that this launch has been about as smooth as we have ever seen.

I know I know im going to get flamed as a "fanboi". Yet those who have read my posts going back to beta know the truth, and that truth is im as critical at times with BW/EA as I am complimentary.

The game is pretty damn good. Long term, im not sure yet. But I have pretty big hopes already.

and they pay a lot less on average per month.

Blizzard does not make as much money from the Asian market as they do with the US and European markets, despite having more Asian players.

By the way, blizzard did something like that to brazillians now. The announcement said we'd only need to pay R$ 15,00 (about 8 dollars) per month, don't know if they went through with it, but since I got the e-mail, they must have.

Are the asians paying even less than this?

While its true the launch has been pretty good keep in mind other games have had good launches and then died out very quickly. Only time will tell is swtor follows that pattern or not.

As far as bug goes yes there are quite a few game breaking bugs at the higher levels. In the eternity vault operation alone I have seen the following bugs:

Loot not drop from bosses or numerous other loot based glitches such as being able to see gear but not collect it.

When riding the speederbike transport sometimes characters will just randomly die.

The escape pods you ride down to the planet sometimes randomly kills players.

The bosses often bug out and have to be reset, sometimes multiple times, in order to get them to work right.

My personal favorite is the "ghost" bug where your raid will be standing there not even in combat and then suddenly your group members will suddenly start dropping dead one by one for no reason at all. While hilarious the first time it gets old really quick.

The debuffs on the 4th boss not clearing correctly and forcing members to relog to clear it.

Graphical bugs with some of the bosses such as invisible lighting balls on the last boss that easily cause wipes.

The turrets on the first boss sometimes bug out if you use CC on them.

That is all from ONE instance. There are several bugs with the other operation such as if you wipe and zone in again you spawn right in front of the boss and he proceeds to kill the group as you zone in. The BH class quest to go to illum is bugged for darkside players. ETC ETC. I myself consider many of these to be gamebreaking or at the very least highly annoying.

I am not hating on the game(in fact I like it a lot) and its natural that a new game will have bugs. However don't sit there and pretend that this game is perfect or that it has "only minor flaws". When you hit the higher levels and end game you encounter a lot of broken stuff that needs to be fixed. Right now its not a major issue because most of the players are not 50 yet but give it a couple more weeks and you all will see just how bad things can get. Its not fun when you have to cancel a raid simply because of bugs.

I personally have faith that BW will resolve most of these issues in the coming weeks. But it just annoys me when fanboys attack people who raise valid concerns about the game. This game is good but there is CONSIDERABLE work and debugging that must be done for the game to maintain its subs for the long term. As it stands now in its current form I feel many people will cancel after they hit 50 and the free month is over. Not because there is a lack of content but because the content does not work half the time. Tho I must say when the stuff does work it is very enjoyable. EV puts DS from wow to shame in my opinion.

Edited by LordIske

By the way, blizzard did something like that to brazillians now. The announcement said we'd only need to pay R$ 15,00 (about 8 dollars) per month, don't know if they went through with it, but since I got the e-mail, they must have.

Are the asians paying even less than this?

they cannot have unlimited monthly subscriptions in many countries in Asia, by law.

so they pay by the hour, and it's not very expensive.

i forget where I've seen it (no, I don't really expect anybody to believe me, some random person int he internet), but i've read that in Blizzard's data that they have to give to their shareholders as a publically-traded company, it shows that the average person in Asia who plays at least once in a month (and is therefore counted as a "subscriber" in their numbers), pays a lot less on average than Americans or Europeans.