7.0 has made my favorite MMO into a chore.

aaronmsh

I have a good few books where on the cover you read things like ISO26262 and DO-178C and similar things. In that context you have to make sure that even your design is sound, in fact, unless you are Boeing, even your design is crosschecked and validated in detail, must be, to fulfill the process requirements.

Contrary to that, MMO game design is often done in ebony tower contexts where (mostly younger) designers fly high about ideas and whatnot, just to repeat mistake after mistake which people like them have done decades before already. And not only that, these designs are often not even consistent in themselves.

A great analogy. Total Quality Management is sorely lacking, in most MMO developing companies, and we're seeing it with this company. Like Coca-Cola Corporation and their disastrous changes to the "new Coke," BioWare is setting precedence in a similar manner where other developer companies will sit up and take notice of what not to do to lose a large portion of a company's long-term financial income (or maybe not).

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m still trying to be optimistic but I’m finding the game, for me at least, is full of tedious combat, and my only goal at the moment is finishing Season 2 and playing new toons.

I used to log in on multiple characters (up to 10-12) to do conquest each week to grind for endgame sets. Now I really have no motivation to grind for vendor trash greens. I removed the majority of my active characters from the guilds I was in as I have very little motivation to do conquest.

I hope you guys can bring the fun back to the game because at the moment I’m not getting much joy from the activities I used to do that kept me playing for hours and hours each week. Maybe cancelling my sub and taking a break for a while until I see where this debacle ends up is the thing to do.

I never thought the 10th Anniversary would kill my want to play SWTOR, but it really has. I’m not angry, just disappointed.

I feel much the same. While combat styles and loadouts are great, everything else has made the game tedious.

Recently i have found myself playing Guild Wars 2 far more than swtor. I am a huge SW fan, GW2 does not hold the same allure for me. But, 7.0 has killed most of the fun for me, incredibly.

I will check back to see if things improve here and switch my focus to GW2.

Also it's a proven fact that a lot of people just don't like changes, whatever they are good, bad, ugly, and at first always start moaning. But after a while they actually start to like it.

That is so narrow minded and false. Are you the one who made that thread about how people dislike 7.0 because they don't like change?

I haven't seen anyone (ok, just one person) complain about shared tagging.

I haven't seen anyone complain about getting combat styles.

I haven't seen anyone complain about loadouts.

I haven't seen anyone complain about getting guaranteed upgrades from PVP and Ops (bugs aside)

People DO like POSITIVE changes. Most of 7.0 is GARBAGE.

Edited by Pricia

Leave your feelings about the game and the company at the door, open your eyes to all platforms where discussion is happening and remember those who do not come here or in-game either, announce they are unsubbing, they just do it and walk away are the largest group to do so, mostly likely never to return.

This is the part that I think many don't realize. Take my friends for example; they didn't post on the forums, they didn't give a farewell speech, they didn't take part in a survey, they didn't even write *why* they canceled their subscriptions. They simply just left despite me trying to sell the better parts of 7.0 to them. They now play GW2 for less money than they were paying here.

Quantify this statement of yours with validated and verifiable proof; otherwise, it is just your opinion, a subjective opinion, you are trying to add weight to using a straw-man argument. Provide your "proof" with documented evidence to support your ascertain; otherwise, stop trying to use a counter-argument based on your demeaning passive aggressive posts.

As someone who is intimately acquainted with retail and commercial customer service and satisfaction, dealing with customers, business, and corporations, banks, federal and state governments, it is those customers who you never hear from that cause the most financial damage to a company when they stop buying, using, in this case, playing. A statistician can extrapolate using Steam's data to show how the game is affected over all and be really close within a margin of error of +/- 3% or so.

This is the kind of thing I teach at the collegiate level. BW/EA weakest link is its Customer Service, it is the worse I've ever seen or had to be involved with, and I am speaking professionally. CS is what we are seeing now from all who are involved with BioWare and they are making this situation worse by each post they make.

Steam's transparency of those logging in to play the game is a mirror of what it looks like in total. I can safely say that what is happening that we cannot see is BioWare's own metrics show the very same thing, except at a higher percentage.

Do you believe Chris, Keith, and the rest have, after a month of total silence from them, started posting what they are doing, out of the goodness out of their hearts? No, they are in damage control mode and trying to stem the hemorrhaging of subscribers and players from all platforms and it is not working. They are only making things worse.

Leave your feelings about the game and the company at the door, open your eyes to all platforms where discussion is happening and remember those who do not come here or in-game either, announce they are unsubbing, they just do it and walk away are the largest group to do so, mostly likely never to return.

Those who experience such a terrible experience as we are seeing right now, about 75%, will never return and 100% of them will share their experience to a minimum of 16 people by word of mouth and 100 plus through social media. This is propagated at an exponential rate and embellished as it is shared. This is a nightmare scenario for BioWare and add in online Gaming Magazines jumping into the equation with their Op Eds is exacerbating everything.

Follow up: For satisfied customers, they will tell only 8 people word of mouth and half the number via social media platforms for which those listening or reading may tell others; however, since it isn't bad news, they don't deem it necessary to share.

Firstable i wouldn't care less, neither do i believe what some random guy in the Internet works or it's actually suppose to works. This is on you, and i don't care.

Secondly i don't need to proof anything, cause i'm not the one claiming stuffs like "majority" which anyone with 2 brain cells knows is a b.c. and just trying to force and put weight into your opinion.

Thirdly - not going to enter another steam discussion. Waste of time and completely different topic.

As far as the rest, what exactly all of the wall of text have to do with our discussion that you decide to quote me, and try to explain to me things, that i don't need a random person to try to explain me, or speculate with it ?

Yeah as usual everyone on the Internet is expert in something, this is a well known fact. And always this person knows what is the best. :D

That is so narrow minded and false. Are you the one who made that thread about how people dislike 7.0 because they don't like change?

I haven't seen anyone (ok, just one person) complain about shared tagging.

I haven't seen anyone complain about getting combat styles.

I haven't seen anyone complain about loadouts.

I haven't seen anyone complain about getting guaranteed upgrades from PVP and Ops (bugs aside)

People DO like POSITIVE changes. Most of 7.0 is GARBAGE.

No i'm not, but the guy was likely 90% right. He probably struck a nerve, didn't he ? :D

Funny you didn't quote the whole part, especially with the Galactic Renown, and how much crying there was about it, at the beginning.

Let me remind you that there was plenty of crying threads about the 6.0 Gearing and so.

As far as your point. Actually there is quite an unhappy people, and there is actually a thread/threads about Combat Style complaining.

I haven't seen anyone complain about loadouts. - what this has to do with changes, exactly ?

Improvements is one thing, change something completely which what i'm talking is quite different, right ?

Some people are just moaners, and nowadays kids are lazy and spoiled. They get offended by nothing.

For most changes you need time to actually understand if they are better or not, but most of the crying started before even give the chance of proper playing and testing. When people are with premade minds, they will still cry and not be happy about it.

There was tons of cry threads in the past, about changes that actually was quite good, and was proven in the long run, just like with the mention above.

- snip -

Some people are just moaners, and nowadays kids are lazy and spoiled. They get offended by nothing.

For most changes you need time to actually understand if they are better or not, but most of the crying started before even give the chance of proper playing and testing. When people are with premade minds, they will still cry and not be happy about it.

There was tons of cry threads in the past, about changes that actually was quite good, and was proven in the long run, just like with the mention above.

Yup... i knew the first time i read about the changes coming with 7.0 that i wouldn't really like any of them. There was some changes i knew didn't really bother me, and ONE change that i was mildly interested in. I didn't really "whine" about that in the forums before launch, mostly because I also think that you cannot complain much about something you haven't tried. I did voice my concerns though a couple of times. Voicing concerns and giving constructive criticism is not whining btw, and the former is what most people did before the launch, not the latter.

Well, now i've tried the changes. I don't like ANY OF IT. 7.0 broke EVERYTHING i liked to do in game and on top of it all, the horrific UI changes now give me a terrible headache and motion sickness if i have to do any inventory management (or you know, re-arrange combat abilities which i now have to do on each and every one of my alts when i first log them on).

If you are happy with the changes, good for you. I'm not. And like i said in some other thread, I don't mind change at all, if the change is for the better. But changing stuff just because of change itself is never good. There has to be a goal to improve things. Not take things away and make things more boring and tedious.

Firstable i wouldn't care less, neither do i believe what some random guy in the Internet works or it's actually suppose to works. This is on you, and i don't care.

The reason for this reply from you is because you cannot provide the information I requested. To do so would cause you a great deal of Cognitive Dissonance. Then you throw the obligatory insults about some random guy...ahem. <SMH> :rolleyes:

The response you gave is typical from one who believes in their version of reality, all others are insignificant not worthy of little attention. All of this because I asked to quantify your statement with factual verifiable citations (proof) backing up your claims. You did not because you cannot. Instead of admitting it you chose the path of combative defensiveness. Tsk Tsk Tsk. :rolleyes:

As far as I am concerned you have no credibility. Your opinion, as subjective as it is, is just another opinion with no credence. As for the rest of your diatribe, I didn't even bother to read it. It is was simply dismissable as obvious fallacies.

Yup... i knew the first time i read about the changes coming with 7.0 that i wouldn't really like any of them. There was some changes i knew didn't really bother me, and ONE change that i was mildly interested in. I didn't really "whine" about that in the forums before launch, mostly because I also think that you cannot complain much about something you haven't tried. I did voice my concerns though a couple of times. Voicing concerns and giving constructive criticism is not whining btw, and the former is what most people did before the launch, not the latter.

Well, now i've tried the changes. I don't like ANY OF IT. 7.0 broke EVERYTHING i liked to do in game and on top of it all, the horrific UI changes now give me a terrible headache and motion sickness if i have to do any inventory management (or you know, re-arrange combat abilities which i now have to do on each and every one of my alts when i first log them on).

If you are happy with the changes, good for you. I'm not. And like i said in some other thread, I don't mind change at all, if the change is for the better. But changing stuff just because of change itself is never good. There has to be a goal to improve things. Not take things away and make things more boring and tedious.

I'm not happy with most changes as well. My post was for completely different purpose, and was pretty much about the "majority" being throwing around for everything.

And as far as moaners, criers and so on, this was generalizing, not towards you or any given name.

The reason for this reply from you is because you cannot provide the information I requested. To do so would cause you a great deal of Cognitive Dissonance. Then you throw the obligatory insults about some random guy...ahem. <SMH> :rolleyes:

The response you gave is typical from one who believes in their version of reality, all others are insignificant not worthy of little attention. All of this because I asked to quantify your statement with factual verifiable citations (proof) backing up your claims. You did not because you cannot. Instead of admitting it you chose the path of combative defensiveness. Tsk Tsk Tsk. :rolleyes:

As far as I am concerned you have no credibility. Your opinion, as subjective as it is, is just another opinion with no credence. As for the rest of your diatribe, I didn't even bother to read it. It is was simply dismissable as obvious fallacies.

I don't need to provide any information about anything, get that to your head. I'm not the one using extremes and talking about majority, when we don't even know the 1% of the player base opinion.

No one can provide information about the Total Active Numbers players for let's say 24 hours, or a week period. Only EA/BW has this numbers.

We can only speculate.

And still if you have 2 cent brain you obviously would understand that 5-10-15-20 people are even 100 are not even 0.01% of the playerbase, forget about the minority, majority and etc.

Also using people at discords or Reddit, or ING, without actually giving any proof of that, for Discord and ING, are just big talks.

And guess what I wasn't the one that was claiming this, and talking with the absolutes.

And where did i throw insult exactly ? I say i don't care about your real time job, as neither any of us would. Neither do i believe you or any random guys, unless i know them in person and known them.

Next time you may claim you are God, should i believe you ?

I never said what you claim you work/study/etc are false or not. I just say that i don't believe random guys on the Internet, which any normal person should do the same.

Simple as that.

The one that is trying to influence/force opinion is you.

I never claim my view is better than anyone else.

I respect a well written posts.

No i'm not, but the guy was likely 90% right. He probably struck a nerve, didn't he ? :D

Funny you didn't quote the whole part, especially with the Galactic Renown, and how much crying there was about it, at the beginning.

Let me remind you that there was plenty of crying threads about the 6.0 Gearing and so.

As far as your point. Actually there is quite an unhappy people, and there is actually a thread/threads about Combat Style complaining.

I haven't seen anyone complain about loadouts. - what this has to do with changes, exactly ?

Improvements is one thing, change something completely which what i'm talking is quite different, right ?

I wasn't there for 6.0. And some people are STILL saying that renown sucked, so that goes against the idea that people just complain about change then get used to it - clearly those people never liked it. Same for Galactic Command, I wasn't there for it but all I heard are negative things... So I'm not sure what exactly people complained about that proved good in the long run.

Also, the people complaining about "combat styles" are complaining that they only wanted to be able to use other weapons with their current ones. They're not complaining about the combat style themselves. And call it the way you want, but loadouts IS a change - but a change for the better - but I suppose that "doesn't count" because it's going against your argument?

And you're saying that people like gearing - most people I know don't. They have no idea where the vendors are, they hit the caps too early, then they have to spend medals of commendations to be able to get their GS2 rewards and don't even know how to do that. Personally I don't mind the WAY gearing works (drops and tokens), I just think it's unnecessarily complicated, it shouldn't require PVPers do run weeklies, and the stat balance sucks. Don't get me started on legendaries with crit on them. But it sure will be better next week when all weeklies are available again - which, by the way, shows that complaining when a change is bad is a good thing.

So no, I don't agree, people don't just complain because they don't like change. They complain when they don't like things changing for the worse.

I wasn't there for 6.0. And some people are STILL saying that renown sucked, so that goes against the idea that people just complain about change then get used to it - clearly those people never liked it. Same for Galactic Command, I wasn't there for it but all I heard are negative things... So I'm not sure what exactly people complained about that proved good in the long run.

Also, the people complaining about "combat styles" are complaining that they only wanted to be able to use other weapons with their current ones. They're not complaining about the combat style themselves. And call it the way you want, but loadouts IS a change - but a change for the better - but I suppose that "doesn't count" because it's going against your argument?

And you're saying that people like gearing - most people I know don't. They have no idea where the vendors are, they hit the caps too early, then they have to spend medals of commendations to be able to get their GS2 rewards and don't even know how to do that. Personally I don't mind the WAY gearing works (drops and tokens), I just think it's unnecessarily complicated, it shouldn't require PVPers do run weeklies, and the stat balance sucks. Don't get me started on legendaries with crit on them. But it sure will be better next week when all weeklies are available again - which, by the way, shows that complaining when a change is bad is a good thing.

So no, I don't agree, people don't just complain because they don't like change. They complain when they don't like things changing for the worse.

Some people may still say, but a lot of people get used to them, and liked them, and now are mad that they are gone.

And it's not only for that actually, but for many things, and not just in SWTOR for example.

Loadouts is a feature that people wanted for quite some time. I cannot call it a change. It's not about my argument or not.

As far as Combat Style, it's firstable a new feature, and yeah they still complain about x or y thing.

Not just the weapons, but for the abilities too.

Plenty of people were complaining about abilities and they want them to be reduced, now they are unhappy when it's actually happen. You can't make everyone happy you know.

Same with how the tree works nowadays.

I'm not saying everyone is like that, but a lot of people will complain just for the sake of it.

I'm not happy with the gearing change at all. I'm not claiming neither the majority of people are happy or not. I don't have that info.

Though i know people that are happy with the change. Just like they weren't happy with the previous gearing method.

Some people want to be gated behind the hardest/highest contents.

I think that people should play the game at their pace and do(content) they like and still be able to progress.

Previous gearing has very good balance about that.

I would agree that doing lesser(let's call it like that) content should make that progress slower, but you should still be able to progress.

As far as the complain again, i'm not stating that everyone is complaining, cause of it, NO. But there is plenty of people that do exactly that, before even game the game/expansion/patch a chance. Also no matter what the changes are, they will still find something to cry about it.

Some people may still say, but a lot of people get used to them, and liked them, and now are mad that they are gone.

And it's not only for that actually, but for many things, and not just in SWTOR for example.

Loadouts is a feature that people wanted for quite some time. I cannot call it a change. It's not about my argument or not.

As far as Combat Style, it's firstable a new feature, and yeah they still complain about x or y thing.

Plenty of people were complaining about abilities and they want them to be reduced, now they are unhappy when it's actually happen. You can't make everyone happy you know.

I'm not saying everyone is like that, but a lot of people will complain just for the sake of it.

I'm not happy with the gearing change at all. I'm not claiming neither the majority of people are happy or not. I don't have that info.

Though i know people that are happy with the change. Just like they weren't happy with the previous gearing method.

I think that people should play the game at their pace and do(content) they like and still be able to progress.

I would agree that doing lesser(let's call it like that) content should make that progress slower, but you should still be able to progress.

As far as the complain again, i'm not stating that everyone is complaining, cause of it, NO. But there is plenty of people that do exactly that, before even game the game/expansion/patch a chance. Also no matter what the changes are, they will still find something to cry about it.

And here we have another one of Bioware's white knights!!

I've been playing this game since 2012 and I've never ever complained about any changes.

I've been unhappy about the broken strongholds (floating rugs etc.) which still haven't been fixed.

The first time I started to complain has been when they announced the changes for 7.0 (skills and equip).

7.0 killed my guilds and the guilds of our OP partners, most of our members have canceled their sub and left the game!!

My first lieutenant will be the only one left when I'm gone.

Since I'm waiting for my sub to run out I've kicked the whole new armor into the bin and that's the place where it belongs period.

Even if I would I stay in the game, I wouldn't use the new gear, because that would mean that I'm supporting

the new changes.

I'm still not seeing what people complained about that turned into a good thing. All you're saying is that some people are happy and some aren't, which doesn't support your point one bit.

But you seem to forget one thing though - we have a PTS. We're SUPPOSED to complain about what we don't like on the PTS forum before it goes live. It's called feedback. The numerous complains you see here are mostly from people who complained on the PTS forum and got their feedback ignored.

I mean, apart from the few who are making the same threads over and over about weak companions and no weapon in outfitter (both of which are not going to stay, as far as I know), again, people have VALID points.

I'm still not seeing what people complained about that turned into a good thing. All you're saying is that some people are happy and some aren't, which doesn't support your point one bit.

But you seem to forget one thing though - we have a PTS. We're SUPPOSED to complain about what we don't like on the PTS forum before it goes live. It's called feedback. The numerous complains you see here are mostly from people who complained on the PTS forum and got their feedback ignored.

I mean, apart from the few who are making the same threads over and over about weak companions and no weapon in outfitter (both of which are not going to stay, as far as I know), again, people have VALID points.

Doesn't support what point exactly? After every single expansion with changes you can see complains about x or y things. This is absolutely normal.

You are ignoring the Galactic Renown. Was people happy at first with it ??? No! There was plenty of threads about the gearing, the GR and plenty of moaning. Yeah people get used to and start liking it.

Same with previous gearing. Same when the game changed, so you can play it way more SOLO. Same when the Heroics was changed, same with the FPs were changed so you can solo them and so.

People weren't happy with the Chapters at KOTFE at first, then most of them loved them.

The list goes on till forever, and i most probably forget a lot of stuffs.

As far as PTS, why you even mention it ? I never ever talk about it. As far as the feedback, again BW/EA are not idiots, they have way more source for feedback than people imagine. Also they have their ideas how the game should be, so obviously they won't changed everything a set of people that do the PTS don't like.

If a feedback is ignored, there obviously a reason for it.

As far as complains about the 7.0, some are absolutely rightful i have said this long time ago.

I'm more unhappy, than happy with a lot of the changes, especially gearing. Still this is a MMORPG and you should expect when expansion arrive that there will be things you won't like, and such that you will like. This is how not just MMO, but MP games work. A lot of changes and so.

And just like usual i try to adapt. What i can't forget though is the laughable short story. This should be their main focus - content, more content and again more and more content.

Edited by LordVajra

I wasn't there for 6.0.

I was. I was so happy with 6.0 I actually bought some cartel coins as a way of saying "good job" (there was no collector's edition).

7.0? I'd rather flush those 40 bucks down the toilet than give them for collector's edition of this abomination. At least the toiled does what I expect it to.

I'm not going to engage in the larger conversation, but I was here for 5.0 & 6.0 and can clarify things a little for you. (Someone (not you) doesn't seem to understand that the player base isn't one unified voice. That sometimes one group of people likes something and one group of different people don't like it...)

5.0 Command Crate gearing was a flawed concept from the beginning. It was entirely random. A small number of us told them random was a really bad idea when they announced their plans, but they didn't listen. 5.1 they added currency and vendors to temper the RNG. As Bioware made changes based on player complaints, players stopped complaining.

6.0 Renown gearing also had flaws. It was, once again, too random. Sure, this time they had a vendor, but it was pricy and didn't have mods for min-maxing. People eventually got their gear and quit complaining, or continued to complain to the bitter end.

I was. I was so happy with 6.0 I actually bought some cartel coins as a way of saying "good job" (there was no collector's edition).

7.0? I'd rather flush those 40 bucks down the toilet than give them for collector's edition of this abomination. At least the toiled does what I expect it to.

I mean - I was playing during 6.0 but I wasn't there when it was released. I enjoyed it very much.

I'm not going to engage in the larger conversation, but I was here for 5.0 & 6.0 and can clarify things a little for you. (Someone (not you) doesn't seem to understand that the player base isn't one unified voice. That sometimes one group of people likes something and one group of different people don't like it...)

Exactly. That's why people who stir the pot by saying that "people just don't like change" really annoy me. It's extremely generalist and diminutive of people's opinions, especially when people actually DO like positive changes (imagine that!!!).

(still waiting for one of those changes that "people didn't like but got to like later." Seems to me that people who didn't like renown still didn't like renown and people who didn't like GC still didn't like GC, and, again, opinions were ALWAYS mixed on those.)

(still waiting for one of those changes that "people didn't like but got to like later." ...)

Well, I wonder what a new player would think about what we previously called "utility points"? We complain about this change as we now have to go with "... OR ..." when we had "... AND ...", but a brand new player might not find it an issue.

On the same "resistance to change" argument, I would go even further back in time when we were not restricted to a single "advanced" class, but we could build our own "class" by allocating points in any of the "trees" available. Then the "advanced" class was made into a choice that excluded the others, but we could still play a bit with the "utility" points. Eventually, we got used to these advanced classes choices to the point we (i for one) almost forgot how we... used to play the game before that.

So, yes, some changes seem too huge to handle at first, but eventually we get used to them and don't notice the difference any more. Is the 7.0 chore one of them?... For me the game has turned into a "gearing up" game, while the "end game" seems quite far round the corner. Others report that are already geared up although still not happy for the scaling issues, but at least seem out of the "chore" range.

Edited by Langela
Edit for clarity

Well, I wonder what a new player would think about what we previously called "utility points"? We complain about this change as we now have to go with "... OR ..." when we had "... AND ...", but a brand new player might not find it an issue.

On the same "resistance to change" argument, I would go even further back in time when we were not restricted to a single "advanced" class, but we could build our own "class" by allocating points in any of the "trees" available. Then the "advanced" class was made into a choice that excluded the others, but we could still play a bit with the "utility" points. Eventually, we got used to these advanced classes choices to the point we (i for one) almost forgot how we... used to play the game before that.

So, yes, some changes seem too huge to handle at first, but eventually we get used to them and don't notice the difference any more. Is the 7.0 chore one of them?... For me the game has turned into a "gearing up" game, while the "end game" seems quite far round the corner. Others report that are already geared up although still not happy for the scaling issues, but at least seem out of the "chore" range.

Just remember that the "chore" range will come back in a few months... then again after that.

Gosh I hate this design so much.

Hi

Been playing since start, enjoyed every major update.

But 7.0 is and has been done on the cheap.

Why take abilities out?

Why did you cut your revenue by stopping us use the blasters, sabers we enjoy!

Why is there such a HUGE gap between certain classes regarding dps.

Why does this take 5 weeks to get green BIS!

Think I have had enough after 7.0, must be better out there regarding new games

SWTOR, you should be ashamed!

I've been a subscriber from the beginning and I've almost always given bioware the benefit of the doubt and liked most if not all the things they've done. But this expansion? Nope. It's a chore. It's had all the fun and most of the choice of how to play removed. For the first time, I'm thinking of unsubscribing. I can't even play all my characters because of stupid caps on even more currencies we didn't need added to the game.

Please make this game player friendly again.