For BioWare Developers…Tanking Changes

Ghost_Spectre

I’ll try to keep this short, succinct, and on point as possible. This post concerns the changes to tanking, a major change that will have an impact on how tanking in this game works with 7.0.

You have removed from the Guardian Knight and the Immortal Juggernaut crowd control ability. Namely, Intimidating roar as a base skill and the same thing for Sweeping Slash (includes Knight mirror abilities).

You made them choices between 2 defensive abilities for Intimidating Roar: that being Reflection and Mad Dash.

For Sweeping Slash, you did the same involving choosing Ravage Rooting or Force Scream doing additional damage to other targets in a cone AoE.

These are or were important tools for the tank’s ability for crowd control and maintaining aggro. Forcing tank players to choose other abilities that are equally important severely hampers the tank’s crowd control ability. They have nothing to do that with now. Threatening Scream, while is still an AoE taunt, loses its ability to shield the party, and you increased it’s cool down too. So now, once every 45 seconds the AoE taunt is usable. This includes Threatening Rage which had a 30 sec cool down. Additionally, while the shield ability was removed from Threatening rage, it put as an option to have with Crushing Blow.

I’ve noticed since returning the tank’s ability to hold aggro has waned. It’s like you’ve put a timer in place how long that can last. Or if a DPS has a high enough alpha strike, a tank loses control of said crowd and has limited tools to regain it. Especially with the long cool down for either Threatening Scream or Rage.

When a tank cannot offer any form of proper crowd control, the tank is now relegated to being a poor DPS until such time it can regain its abilities for Threatening Scream or Threatening Rage. This will lead to a party wide wipe. The tank’s ability to control the crowd so the team can do its part without becoming the focal point as the greater threat.

This should never have been done. I surmise that none of the developers play tanks to any account and do not understand the fundamentals of tanking. Tanking is my main since playing City of Heroes. Every game I play, I play a tank first and foremost. The tank’s main job is crowd control through threat, aggro, ability to absorb damage, and protect the party. You’ve forced us to make a choice that removes a very important cog in that wheel. Now, this wheel is broken.

You’d know this if you were actual tank players. A tank’s job is not about DPS, it is about holding the attention of the crowd. Your changes have made sure that this ability is severely weakened. You’ve taken away from us important tools via “hard choice” concerning defense or utility.

You have made the wrong choice in forcing issues of this nature. I’ve seen those changes for the DPS, they are not game breaking some of them are improvements. However, these tank choices and changes are for the tanks. You have done the entire player base an injustice in changing the fundamental mechanics of tanking with some vision that you improve it. You could not be more wrong. You instituted a change that did not improve tanking but quite literally made it worse. Again, if you were dedicated tank players, you’d left these original base skills in place and chosen something else to work, yet you did not.

What I want to know and I’m sure true tank players would too, why did you make changes of this magnitude that fundamentally changed the tanking arm of the Triad of the game? You owe the players the truth and explanations they’ve been asking for.

All the while you are avoiding and refusing to address anything about this update you’ve given us. So far, it is costing you subs, especially from those long-time players who been with this game from the start. It is the continuous subscriptions that keep the lights on, not the cartel market. Can you afford to revisit March 2013 (Update 1.2) today?

Finally, why are you following the outdated and inadequate WoW model? Why do you continue to focus in on trying to emulate Blizzard’s game when there are other games that far surpass it, like Final Fantasy XIV? You think you’re doing better with this minor shorten version of 7.0 you claim is an expansion? No, the best xpacs we’ve seen was KOTET & KOTFE and that was years ago.

I’m a paying customer. I am asking you for answers that need to be addressed. Not by forum members, not by Community moderators, but you the developers. I’m not demanding, I’m asking for you to respond and help us understand why you’ve fundamentally altered tanking as you have.

Edited by Ghost_Spectre

Not only cc, intimidating roar used by tanks was where the 15 per cent reduction on damage done was (were the mobs affected by the controlling effect or not), meaning it was a defensive cooldown for the entire team and worked on raid bosses.

The fact that this was made a choice for tanks as well as dps specs tells me whoever did these changes doesnt even play the class and just took a hatchet to anything that had the word cc in it without knowing the intricacies of the classes and specs.

Edited by TevosisHot

Not only cc, intimidating roar used by tanks was where the 15 per cent reduction on damage done was (were the mobs affected by the controlling effect or not), meaning it was a defensive cooldown for the entire team and worked on raid bosses.

The fact that this was made a choice for tanks as well as dps specs tells me whoever did these changes doesnt even play the class and just took a hatchet to anything that had the word cc in it without knowing the intricacies of the classes and specs.

Spot on. I only wanted to focus on Tanks and tanking as it is my main focus in this game and others. I'd hope hope others would do likewise with the remaining classes.