Pretty disappointed with the combat style switching. Bioware misinformation.

DarthWoad

Read this text from the Legacy of the Sith page on this website:

Players can now separate their Class Story from gameplay style for an even greater customization experience. This frees up Advanced Class options as characters can choose any Advanced Class within the Tech or Force playstyle! Play as a Trooper wielding a Sniper Rifle, or a Sith Inquisitor with a lightsaber in each hand, or even secretly use Dark Side powers while posing as a member of the Jedi Order.

As far as I know, right now it's just a class switch feature. I'm seeing Gunslingers and Shadows running around on the Imperial Fleet when I mouse over other players...so much for "secretly using Dark Side powers". I'm pretty sure it's the same on the Republic fleet too.

This isn't an "even greater customization experience" as far as I know. When I switch combat styles, I'm unable to weild weapons and armor from my previous combat style, which is the impression I was getting. Like I said, this is just a plain old class switch feature.

No..you can't be a Sith Inquisitor and have a lightsaber in each hand, because you have to switch to your Marauder class, and your character will be labelled as a Marauder, and all of your weapons and armor will be removed if you can't weild them. All you're doing is switching your class, and there's no mix and match.

Overall I'm pretty disappointed with this update. I thought I'd have more freedom when it comes to weilding weapons from other classes, such as a Sith Juggernaut weilding two sabers. But no.

Edited by DarthWoad

It is working exactly as advertised. What did you expect? To be wielding a sniper rifle while doing your commando rotation? No, you do your sniper rifle rotation with a sniper rifle and your commando rotation with an assault cannon. Pretty straight forward.

It is working exactly as advertised. What did you expect? To be wielding a sniper rifle while doing your commando rotation? No, you do your sniper rifle rotation with a sniper rifle and your commando rotation with an assault cannon. Pretty straight forward.

Tell me how it's possible to be a Sith Inquisitor and wield two lightsabers, as they quoted on their website?

Tell me how it's possible to be a Sith Inquisitor and wield two lightsabers, as they quoted on their website?

Origin: Sith Inquisitor

Combat Style: Sith Marauder.

-- OR --

Origin: Sith Inquisitor

Combat Style: Jedi Sentinel.

That's how. Inquisitor is now an *Origin* (story), not a class.

This is what BW does, they don't communicate effectively at all. They tend to fluff things that unless you're used to it, it sounds completely different then what it is.

You're not at fault for being misled, you were misled.

Nor is Steve incorrect technically, but is it honest and straightforward way to promote it.

Not at all.

Its used car salesman tactics.

SteveTheCynic has it correct. See his post.

I guess I was misinformed about that. But another thing, how do you "secretly" use dark side powers when being a member of the jedi order, when your dark side user class is labelled for everyone to see?

Edited by DarthWoad

I'm loving it so far. Loadouts are what we should have had originally, and I now have a toon how can do it all. Yes, he's hauling around two sets of gear, but I like the versatility.

Same. I Am quit enjoying the load outs. Its so fast to switch from one to the other, tbh i was surprised swapping would be this smooth.

I guess I was misinformed about that. But another thing, how do you "secretly" use dark side powers when being a member of the jedi order, when your dark side user class is labelled for everyone to see?

It's "Secret" as in story-wise a jedi wouldn't use lightning abilities. It's not you hiding your abilities from other players it's your character hiding their dark powers from other story driven characters. I thought this was obvious, nothing here was misinformation it's your own expectations that betrayed you.

You're getting too meta in your rant. Maybe you have never played as a Force User that was the opposite alignment of your faction, but there are parts of each of the four Force User stories where your chosen alignment is acknowledged by other characters. And I mean, there is only so much you can do in a video game without true artificial intelligence (think of the Cardinal System from Sword Art Online) running the story and NPCs.

No, OP is right. This is a disappointing and pointless change.

Most of already have alts and can just switch classes that way. Why give us an option to do that, but that disables all our gear? It's like a step backwards.

Edited by Warlocc

Read this text from the Legacy of the Sith page on this website:

As far as I know, right now it's just a class switch feature. I'm seeing Gunslingers and Shadows running around on the Imperial Fleet when I mouse over other players...so much for "secretly using Dark Side powers". I'm pretty sure it's the same on the Republic fleet too.

This isn't an "even greater customization experience" as far as I know. When I switch combat styles, I'm unable to weild weapons and armor from my previous combat style, which is the impression I was getting. Like I said, this is just a plain old class switch feature.

No..you can't be a Sith Inquisitor and have a lightsaber in each hand, because you have to switch to your Marauder class, and your character will be labelled as a Marauder, and all of your weapons and armor will be removed if you can't weild them. All you're doing is switching your class, and there's no mix and match.

Overall I'm pretty disappointed with this update. I thought I'd have more freedom when it comes to weilding weapons from other classes, such as a Sith Juggernaut weilding two sabers. But no.

Inquisitor is the Origin Story. Not the combat style. Inquisitor used to be just Assassins and Sorcerers. Now they have the option to be all the other force users (some needing to meet requirements in Light Side).

And it was made clear early on, we wouldn't be using Shadow Combat Style with a single blade lightsaber (which, yes, I want too) and how Juggernaut wouldn't be using two sabers. Want two sabers, you need to be Marauder or Sentinel Combat Styles.

It was pretty easy to understand.

No, OP is right. This is a disappointing and pointless change.

Most of already have alts and can just switch classes that way. Why give us an option to do that, but that disables all our gear? It's like a step backwards.

Because I still get to have my blaster using Agent. Whether that be rerolling or just using it as a second combat style.

Same goes for all else.

Because I still get to have my blaster using Agent. Whether that be rerolling or just using it as a second combat style.

Same goes for all else.

Half the choices already share storylines, and 80% of your choices will share gear. It literally adds nothing while introducing bugs and issues.

Not even government work manages to waste manpower like this.

Half the choices already share storylines, and 80% of your choices will share gear. It literally adds nothing while introducing bugs and issues.

Not even government work manages to waste manpower like this.

This take is....just nuts. It's a massive improvement. I have tons of loadout slots. No more re-specing, re-doing hotbars, re-selecting utility points. They got rid of some of the skill bloat and added really neat new modifications to existing skills so you can customize what they do a bit, in many cases optimizing for single target or AoE DPS.

"Literally adds nothing" is so far from accurate it simply defies logic. I absolutely love this system, it's such a massive improvement. Heck, even if you don't want a second combat style loadouts are still fantastic for managing your initial combat style.

As for the people claiming misinformation...I read what they said it would do, and it's exactly what I was expecting. I'm bewildered by this entire thread.

If I could replay the games story I feel like having one character doing everything is more enjoyable. But since I can only do the new stuff and once I still have to make a new alt to enjoy the game again. I guess it just feels a bit lackluster like a lot of things from this 'expansion'

My only complaint is the problem switching loadouts. I save one and then switch to another and apply it and guess what all my abilities bars are mixed up again and here I go again to get them straight. It would be nice if I wouldn't have to keep fixing my ability bars when I switch characters. I am not going to spend 10-30 minutes doing that everytime and it even gives me the wrong skills from the ones I have chosen. Please fix.

My only complaint is the problem switching loadouts. I save one and then switch to another and apply it and guess what all my abilities bars are mixed up again and here I go again to get them straight. It would be nice if I wouldn't have to keep fixing my ability bars when I switch characters. I am not going to spend 10-30 minutes doing that everytime and it even gives me the wrong skills from the ones I have chosen. Please fix.

Have you been saving your loadout after making the hotbar changes? Once I did that all my hotbars stayed exactly as I saved them when switching loadouts.

I have to admit I skim read the blurb and assumed the same as the OP, that you would be able to "mix and match" skills and abilities between your primary class and another (so, you would be, say a marauder, but be able to "swap out" some skills with another class, like lightning and sabrestaff from the inquisitor skillset). I thought that would be cool, as it would really "customise" your character style.

Doesn't seem to work like that, just seems to be the ability to switch wholescale between x and y styles. I think this is still very useful though, especially as a solo player as you can play, say, an operative, but flip to, say, bounty hunter or commando for those missions which need a bit more firepower. It also helps fit in with groups easier if you can flip skills to plug holes in groups which need, say an extra tank or whatever, especially if you're a small group of regular friends, for example.

I know you could create an alt and run with that, but that takes time and effort, and you end up with another "character" which may not grab you as much. For myself, while I do have alts, I still have one or two characters I prefer, who I have invested time and effort in, and really enjoy playing. So, I can be Darth Drago the marauder, but when I fancy, or need, a sorcerer, I don't have to logout and change to T'Karten, who is a different level, has different items, etc. and who I didn't really end up enjoying as a character (mainly as I didn't enjoy the inquisitor storyline).

So, yeah, not what I thought at a light glance, and not as cool (imho) as a true "hybrid" but still a good feature.

Let's not mention the UI though :D