Strongholds - Why is hook cap < actual hooks?

AxelStorm

Can you explain in more depth the issue? There are way more hooks available than the cap. And that is how it should be. If we were limited to the same amount of hooks as the cap we’d have fewer options. With more options, the more personalized we can make our shs

After you've accumulated decos for a few years, you'll get to the point where no Stronghold would be big enough to hold ALL of them. 🙄

Plus, it's better (imho) to make a nice well thought out decoration 'theme' than to just jam all the decos you can into one space. Too many SHs look more like junk shops (or museums) than 'homes'. 🙂

Edited by JediQuaker

After you've accumulated decos for a few years, you'll get to the point where no Stronghold would be big enough to hold ALL of them. 🙄

Plus, it's better (imho) to make a nice well thought out decoration 'theme' than to just jam all the decos you can into one space. Too many SHs look more like junk shops (or museums) than 'homes'. 🙂

I already reached that point long ago, and I'm not interested in jamming them all in one space. It's pretty rude to assume otherwise. But the fact remains that DK and Coruscant allow a smaller number of decos per hook count than others. My Nar Shaddaa stronghold is around 65-70% decorated with only the outdoor area left; it might not reach 100% by the time I'm finished. But on DK and Corsucant I've run out of hooks before finishing. Those two need the cap increased.

Keep in mind that the hook counts were based on conditions when getting a stronghold bonus had pretty substantial in game perks, and the number and accessibility of decorations was substantially lower than it is now.

Getting to 100% stronghold bonus, was a fairly significant grind, especially if you didn't want to just fill ever small hook with whatever the cheapest thing the vedors were selling up to the cap for that particular decoration.

If you needed to fill every single hook to get to the cap, which is how the bonus was calculated, then the mob would have been out with their torches and pitchforks over the size and expense of the grind.

Basically hook cap number is a legacy feature from when the strongholds update released, and they've kept newer strongholds more or less in line with the original ones as far as that goes.

Well, it's smaller than the number of actual hooks because if you had to fill the number of hooks exactly, you would have an overly uniform nightmare of a place you would have to clutter wherever the devs felt there should be stuff, rather than placing things where you want them to be. You also wouldn't be able to have the flexibility of converting hooks, such as the large multi-hook (1 large + 9 small) into 4 mediums, depending on what your design requires.

The part that I don't understand is why you can't have a certain level where you've 100%ed the stronghold, but still have the option to exceed that and add more to the remaining hooks. I would think this would be possible to code (though perhaps not advisable to do from a design perspective, at least in some already-cluttered SHes).

I'm not saying the hook count = deco max count.... but it is ridiculously less where i cannot evenly deco all the expansion rooms i have..... the walls and ceilngs have 10+ hooks in some rooms... and i think we all like to fill those up... but it ends up accounting for almost 50% of max deco space..

agian. needs to be increased, substaintally.... or atleast put a higher max on the wall and ceiling decos...

Well, it's smaller than the number of actual hooks because if you had to fill the number of hooks exactly, you would have an overly uniform nightmare of a place you would have to clutter wherever the devs felt there should be stuff, rather than placing things where you want them to be. You also wouldn't be able to have the flexibility of converting hooks, such as the large multi-hook (1 large + 9 small) into 4 mediums, depending on what your design requires.

The part that I don't understand is why you can't have a certain level where you've 100%ed the stronghold, but still have the option to exceed that and add more to the remaining hooks. I would think this would be possible to code (though perhaps not advisable to do from a design perspective, at least in some already-cluttered SHes).

You don't have to fill anything though. 100% decorated doesn't give any bonus anymore, so there's no reason you need to have your stronghold at 100% rather than 90% or 75%. As someone else mentioned, the hook cap is probably a relic of the time when that mattered for conquest. All the more reason why they should increase it now.

Edited by Ruvalie

You don't have to fill anything though. 100% decorated doesn't give any bonus anymore, so there's no reason you need to have your stronghold at 100% rather than 90% or 75%. As someone else mentioned, the hook cap is probably a relic of the time when that mattered for conquest. All the more reason why they should increase it now.

It does sort of "show" completion for public strongholds, so I can't really see it going away entirely. But overall, I agree: we should be able to exceed the existing cap. I'm hesitant to call for raising the cap to a new specific maximum, though, because then OCD designers like myself will be pushed to clutter some SHes to achieve it, and it still might fall short in other spacious SHes like Alderaan or Rishi. Give us the flexibility to do what we want with them.