The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Brutal Leveling in 7.0?

tinkywinkyofborg

So, I worked my way through the origin story for my PTS baby toon, and here's my biggest gripe (and that of several friends as well):

Leveling is *brutal* in regards to the pace abilities are rolled out. I made it as far as level 35-ish before I went to Onderon to boost myself to 80. I get that the goal was to reduce ability bloat, but what we have instead are unserviceable player characters stretched out over the length of the story.

I would rather see players get the bulk of their abilities earlier and have more time with them so that new players can adjust to a rotation, etc. I think it'd make for a much more pleasant leveling experience!

I haven't done the level a baby to max yet. (I will do so probably). So don't take this as critique.

But isn't it normal to have a reduced ability load as low-level player? I have leveled multiple alts via lowbie and midbe PvP on live. And only in the higher spectrum of lowbie (around level 35-40ish) I would have some sort of a rotation.

Again. Not saying you are wrong and it might be to few abilities. But giving abilities to fast is also not a good thing. As you kinda need to learn what each of your abilities does and how it synergizes with each other.

Brutal in terms of pacing, or non-excitability? I made a new toon 2 weeks ago, got her up to 45, still haven't got them off Quesh. In terms of pacing, its about the same for me. In terms of sbilities, yeah there is a little gap, but I didnt find that too much of a hardship, as I haver done a couple flashpoints, some space combat missions, and trying to also get achievements all over again (to figure out which ones will grant the Underworld Syndicate plans, so I can looks at my live legacy to figure out what best to do to gather plans effectively)

I think its a feeling of 'brutal', knowing you started from scratch, and in the back of your mind you know abilities are lost, the character you are making isnt permanent, and you may be doing it for the achievement to get titles like others.

I haven't done the level a baby to max yet. (I will do so probably). So don't take this as critique.

But isn't it normal to have a reduced ability load as low-level player? I have leveled multiple alts via lowbie and midbe PvP on live. And only in the higher spectrum of lowbie (around level 35-40ish) I would have some sort of a rotation.

Again. Not saying you are wrong and it might be to few abilities. But giving abilities to fast is also not a good thing. As you kinda need to learn what each of your abilities does and how it synergizes with each other.

That's very generous to think it's planned so people learn their abilities.

I see you're a commando so in 7.0 lets give you High Impact Bolt at level 15 and you can't reliably debuff mobs to use it until level 23 because your preset spec is Gunnery and 7.0 locks Plasma Cell to Assault so people won't know why it's such a garbage unusable ability that's always greyed out.

You will be using Explosive Round for 3 maybe 4 planets not to learn but because there's nothing else worth using due to ability removal and stretching out of what's left.

Have a look at what you'd have on the original game while Explosive Round spamming in 7.0 PTS:

Hammer Shot, High Impact Bolt, Full Auto, Sticky Grenade and Pulse Cannon was great to have on Ord Mantell. Stockstrike was a bit troll for a commando (once you became one) but if you fancied some roleplay fighting it was amusing. And look, the starting Cell was Plasma Cell so you'd have something to trigger High Impact Bolt on.

Edited by Gyronamics

That's very generous to think it's planned so people learn their abilities.

I see you're a commando so in 7.0 lets give you High Impact Bolt at level 15 and you can't reliably debuff mobs to use it until level 23 because your preset spec is Gunnery and 7.0 locks Plasma Cell to Assault so people won't know why it's such a garbage unusable ability that's always greyed out.

You will be using Explosive Round for 3 maybe 4 planets not to learn but because there's nothing else worth using due to ability removal and stretching out of what's left.

Have a look at what you'd have on the original game while Explosive Round spamming in 7.0 PTS:

Hammer Shot, High Impact Bolt, Full Auto, Sticky Grenade and Pulse Cannon was great to have on Ord Mantell. Stockstrike was a bit troll for a commando (once you became one) but if you fancied some roleplay fighting it was amusing. And look, the starting Cell was Plasma Cell so you'd have something to trigger High Impact Bolt on.

This was my take on Gunnery. They needed to swap Grav Round to level 15, and put High Impact bolt at 23. I understand why they did it this way since High impact bolt is usable by all Commando specs, but it really became a useless ability until you get Grav Round at 23.

Edit: Keep in mind when I leveled mine from 1-64 I didn't have the ability to Character transfer, so my Legacy level started at 1, so I was missing all of my XP perks from the character perk screen, and no DvL armor, so at least when this goes live I won't be stuck at the low level range anywhere near as long as I was on the PTS.

Edited by Toraak