10 Years - Tell me your SWTOR-Y - Share your memories

Darka

• 6 months later...

Note: This is a long story. Feel free to skip to the parts that interest you.

tl; dr: Why I started playing / Drew Karpyshyn sucks :D

I joined in 2.0 (Spring 2013) as a F2P. I hoped it would continue the story of Kotor2. For the most part, it didn't, and when it tried, it did it badly. Revan and the Exile (I refuse to use the dumb name Karpyshyn made-up) were already ruined in the Maelstrom Prison FPs long before SoR. In fact, I didn't really like the premise of the Great Galactic War / Cold War at all. Kreia made the True Sith sound so menacing and then what we got was the usual BW Saturday Morning Cartoon villains.

But I enjoyed other aspects of the game and stayed. Notably, I really enjoyed the Agent and Bounty Hunter class stories. In hindsight, if I'd had more experience of MMOs or AAA games in general, I probably would not have played for long. Alternatively, if I'd picked STO instead, I'd probably have been playing that all these years instead, rather than playing a few hours a month ago and getting bored.

tl;dr: Going Preferred / once upon a time the game economy worked :p

I was F2P for about a year, and really struggling leveling the two characters I had, so I bought $5 worth of xp boosts and things improved a little. I didn't sub until 2018 or so, but I joined at a good time, because after becoming preferred I was able to buy all the major account / species unlocks off the GTN, all under the 200k credit limit. I think I paid 1M for Cathar after they released escrow and it was a really laborious process collecting all those credits on one character AND the escrows, which have never been cheap to buy for credits.

tl;dr: Being a Bad :o

I died a lot at first. I remember dying so often on my first character, a Trooper, that my armor broke and I didn't have enough credits to fix it. I died on my first Agent in Hutta after getting ambushed by a mob of droids during an early story mission. By my third character, I wasn't dying as much and was feeling more confident, and then I rolled a Warrior and got as far as Balmorra before dying to trash --the Chiss ambassador quest--and was so embarrassed I deleted that character, the first time I ever did that.

A big problem early on was that leveling was so painful. I got my Trooper as far as Alderaan but he was five levels behind, even doing every mission and sidequest (not counting heroics which were really tough). My Agent was stuck on Tatooine literally driving around collecting exploration xp to level up. I started doing pvp solely because I needed the xp, I didn't really want to play with anyone else. I realized soon after becoming preferred that if I used xp boosts constantly, and I did 5 warzones a week (the max) and 3 PVE space missions (the max), AND continued to do all sidequests, I could consistently stay at recommended level or only one level below.

tl;dr: Once upon a time BW made good changes :eek:

Legacy storage / strongholds were a lifesaver. Before that, I had to mail crafted armor mods to my characters, one piece at a time. Similarly, I didn't figure out how to get a third crew skills slot for a long time (the old referral process), so I only had two crew skills per character and had to mail the mat stacks that the crafter needed. Crafting was time consuming but effective because without blue and (after I bought an account-wide artifact unlock) purple mods, the basic story content was often very difficult.

I eventually smoothed out all these problems, or BW released QoL patches that made things a little easier, like Collections, or level sync. I read this forum a lot even though I couldn't post, because occasionally people had useful tips, which is how I got the security key and 100 cc/month, though initially I thought it had to be reinstalled every month which was a pain.

tl;dr: Why I hate other players :mad:

The forum often disparaged F2Pers, blaming them for, pretty much everything. People on this forum like to downplay the toxicity for obvious reasons, but I can tell you that i resisted subbing for a long time because I didn't want to be associated with anyone on here. It's not quite as bad now but what remains the same is ignorant subs speaking for F2Pers and asking for things that subs want while pretending that it's for F2P benefit, like pvp balance lmao :rolleyes:.

I was pretty antisocial for the vast majority of time I've been playing, I even made a personal guild and bought a guild ship BEFORE legacy storage, just to take advantage of the bank and so I could put all my imp characters in one guild. but when I first subbed I found a friendly guild in SS and learned how to do Ops and most of the non-solo FPs, and had/have a lot of fun. Just...not enough to remain subbed indefinitely.

tl;dr: TOR bucket list / a long list of things I don't care about anymore :cool:

Before the game shuts down, I'd like to finish all the ops I haven't done, like the Dxun one or Gods From the Machine, as well as the few remaining FPs I haven't done, mainly the rakghoul ones. I also want to complete all the uprisings at least once.

I don't really need to make any more characters, i've already got over 60 spread out on two servers. I don't need any more SHs, I just bought the 2nd Fleet SH with the GS tokens, the last one I needed. I don't need any more armor--at the last collections sale I unlocked pretty much every armor I'd bought. I don't really need any more insta-70 tokens, after the last server merge and I had to delete dozens of characters, I began using the tokens to make clones of the characters I lost. But I've gained back all the ones I particularly wanted.

tl;dr: When you're a story player and you hate the story :rolleyes:

Oh, and I don't need to know how the story ends. I don't care about the immediate story, the saboteur thing, at all, and I'm not concerned about what happens to my characters in the larger sense. The Republic wins, obviously, but probably makes some accommodation with the Empire which lasts until Knight Errant era when everything falls apart.

Or at least, that was the old expanded universe. TOR is kind of set adrift so in theory they could do something really cool and unexpected. But the main reason I don't care is because I have no confidence in BW to write a good ending, and, as I alluded to earlier in this textwall, that's not merely because Legacy of the Sith sucks, I think TOR's writing has always been pretty terrible.

tl;dr: Moving on from TOR :)

This was a good game and I spent a LOT of time playing it, time I could have used much more productively, to be honest. Or even unproductively on other things--I bought Disco Elysium recently and I'm itching to try it out. If BW announced tomorrow that they were shutting down the game by Jan 1 2023, I'd be sad but also okay with it. I've about had my fill of this game. Conversely, if it continued for another 10 years, I'd be fine with that too: I don't need the game to die just because I'm tired of it. That should be obvious but the forum is still pretty radioactive lol.

Edited by Ardrossan

The good times:

My first toon setting foot on Ord Mantell and WALKING the first 14 levels.

My 6 year old daughter rolling a Shadow at launch and levelling it up fully (to 50 at the time)..only help from me was making sure she was geared...its wasn't guaranteed like now! (Scary that she is 16 now!)

Joining my first guild ...an all Italian outfit other than me ...a girl thought me the only Italian I needed "Ciao ragazzi!"

Someone giving me 40k on Tatooine so I could get a basic speeder - I was, and still am so grateful to that person...I have done the same for others many times since, in their memory.

Getting my smokey speeder, that I'd missed out on in the game's second proper event.

There a lot of others but nobody wants a wall of text.

I rage quite in 2012 or 2013 because I came across the Quinn betrayal with no warning! Then came back a few weeks later, made a Sage and discovered on that Sage how to make millions of credits. BUT my friends stopped playing soon after and we all went back to WoW.

Came back to swtor in 2014 or 2015 and Quinn became my favourite LI somehow after I played through the betrayal and his whole story (see the Quinn thread) stayed until the KotFE exodus; got sent a questionnaire via email which actually wanted my opinions on what had gone wrong. Came back as preferred, lasted 5 minutes without access to my millions and good gear so re-subbed and have been back subbed ever since (yep, I said I'd probably unsub until some actual 7.0 story but here I still am - stupid star wars has me in it's grip).

Three of my most memorable swtor moments:

• Me and two rl friends doing the datacrons one evening and being in hysterics at our failed jumping ability
  • Deciding somewhat drunkenly that the three of us could take down Lucky. We did. It took ages!
  • Participating in the Quinn thread at it's height (it was so much fun and lasted so long - put Quinn in something good in 7.0 so we can resurrect that awesomeness)

Edited by Sarova

One of my fondest memories of SWTOR was my JK leaping at a droid just as someone pushed it over the edge. Weee! Watch me flyyyy!

I don't think any of us could play for a couple of minutes, we were all laughing so hard. 🙂

Edited by JediQuaker

This was my first MMO. When it launched, my twins were 5mo old and used to sit in my lap while I played. They'd sit quietly and be completely focused on the action on the screen. Now 10yrs later, they still enjoy watching me play. I actually created a character just for them. They picked the look, outfits, clothing, crystal colors, and everything. They choose the choices that character makes in the story. And they'll tell people they've been playing SWTOR all their lives. :D

Joining my first guild in Ebon Hawk, The Defender Program ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.