7.0 last expansion?

Zergnaut

We will not know until they actually say it is cancelled. There was talk on SWG prior to them closing the game if it was going to close and the devs kept saying no until it was officially announced it was closing.

It would depend on

(1) Finances

(2) People playing

(3) Disney

So while it is not closing right now, it does not mean they will not come into the forums a few months or year and tell us they are closing the game. I have learned to just be prepared.

I remember that all too well. I took a break from SWG for a few months to check out the new MMO, RIFT. I read rumblings whether it was on the SOE forums or elsewhere that the game could close. It was during the summer of 2011 when SOE finally made the announcement the game would be shutdown in December of that year, ironically enough as it turned out, to make room for this game. I immediately subbed back up to SWG to go down with the ship. Lucas Arts didn't want two Star Wars MMO's running and made their decision. The funny thing is, this game's population and server count are nearly identical to what SWG's was in 2011. Ten years later, here we are....

I hope this this game doesn't shut down for another ten years and it probably won't if this company can stop making boneheaded decisions.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.pcgamer.com/bioware-has-no-plans-to-end-star-wars-the-old-republic-anytime-soon/

From the Nov 4th, 2021 PCGamer article, "BioWare Has No Plans to End Star Wars: The Old Republic Anytime Soon:"

Let me play devil’s advocate for a minute. BioWare isn’t necessarily EA management. EA could very easily sell BioWare, shut it down or merge studios or tell BioWare it’s not going to keep funding swtor with a budget. Under those circumstances, BioWare would probably have to shut swtor down.

Also, even if BioWare or EA had plans to shutter swtor. Does anyone really think they would tell us during the 10 year anniversary? Most of the time, game companies say they have no plans and then give players little to no warning when they announce they are shutting down. If we are lucky, we’ll get a 3 month notice before it happens (Wether that’s next year or 10 years from now).

Especially as they can continue to milk players right up to when the game eventually shuts.

Obviously not, not only they ve been hyping up the 10th anniversary we ve gotten some huge updates technically speaking, them untangling the origin stories from the class in order to change them into combat styles probably took a lot of resources from their already limited resources hence why the 7.0 story content is less.

They clearly have plans for past 7.0 and with WoW dying a huge part of the mmorpg community has moved to other games, swtor being one of the more prominent ones who benefited from that.

So if anything, they ll definitely be bringing out more content.

Also if you noticed the trailer they posted, the last second clearly suggests a cinematic trailer is in the works, or they are planning to show it at some specific point, maybe launch date?

Edited by ralphieceaser

Exactly.

I'm not sure why it's so hard for some to understand, that continuing this game isn't up to EAWare any longer, it's up to Disney. I think their contract with EA was signed in 2013, it's whether Disney deems it a worthy investment any further once that ten year contract is up. Disney owns Star Wars now, it's not up to EA, it's as simple as that.

Ah see, I knew you thought SWTOR fell under the same EA license, but like I said, this game predates that contract.

Which contract? This Star Wars game was already in production before EA purchased BioWare from VG Holding Corp during the 2008 financial crisis. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioWare

None of us knows what's in that contract, but I doubt it ends in 2023.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Ah see, I knew you thought SWTOR fell under the same EA license, but like I said, it predates that contract.

None of us knows what's in that contract, but I doubt it ends in 2023.

As far as I know, the details of that contract were not released, but it was a ten year contract. Either way you look at it though, Disney can pull the plug on this any time they want once that contract is up. Unless you can somehow verify that it cannot be done. And citing a Wiki page that anyone can edit is irrelevant.

Edited by Pirana

https://sec.report/Document/0000712515-21-000148/

The above is why I never went into accounting. Anyhoo....

partially offset by a $110 million decrease in net revenue primarily from the Star Wars and UFC franchises.

partially offset by a $291 million decrease in net revenue primarily from the Star Wars, The Sims, and Need for Speed franchises.

We also may divest or sell assets or a business and we may have difficulty selling such assets or business on acceptable terms in a timely manner. This could result in a delay in the achievement of our strategic objectives, cause us to incur additional expense, or the sale of such assets or business at a price or on terms that are less favorable than we anticipated. We may be unable to maintain or acquire licenses to include intellectual property owned by others in our games, or to maintain or acquire the rights to publish or distribute games developed by others. Many of our products and services are based on or incorporate intellectual property owned by others. For example, our EA Sports products include rights licensed from major sports leagues, teams and players’ associations and our Star Wars products include rights licensed from Disney. Competition for these licenses and rights is intense. If we are unable to maintain these licenses and rights or obtain additional licenses or rights with significant commercial value, our ability to develop successful and engaging products and services may be adversely affected and our revenue, profitability and cash flows may decline significantly.

I think this part in the report is worth highlighting too :

Our business partners may be unable to honor their obligations to us or their actions may put us at risk

I would suggest that some of BioWares decisions regarding 7.0 are certainly risky if their intention is to drive players from the game as it will reduced income.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Whatever it takes to make it look like it's still going to the uninformed gamer is whatever they're going to do.

This means low effort "expansions" which have a single homogenized story, very little new content added, a new gearing system because why not break it after fixing it, and a round of puff pieces by gaming journalist websites talking about how shiny the new "expansion" is.

All in service to hooking some transient players for a few months, in the hopes that some whales buy some cartel coins before moving on.

You can expect they'll keep pumping out expansions under this model for a long while, there's no reason for them to stop pushing the envelope on the "lowest effort for the highest yield".

A better question to ask yourself, rather than wondering if 7.0 is the last expansion, is why they bother making "expansions" at all, or why they call them "expansions" in the first place, when very, very little is actually expanded upon. Just google SWTOR Legacy of the Sith, read some articles, realize exactly who they're targeting with this, and then realize, it's not you they're making it for.

Edited by Severith

As a software developer who worked from home all through COVID, I'd like to point out that working from home does almost nothing to limit a software developer (at least after initial setup, but office requires this too usually).

as a software developer who worked from home all through covid, i'd like to point out that working from home does almost nothing to limit a software developer (at least after initial setup, but office requires this too usually).

please do not bring common sense and logic to the converstion, sir or ma'am.

I bid you good day!

No! Good day i said!

As far as I know, the details of that contract were not released, but it was a ten year contract. Either way you look at it though, Disney can pull the plug on this any time they want once that contract is up. Unless you can somehow verify that it cannot be done. And citing a Wiki page that anyone can edit is irrelevant.

Where is the evidence that it was a 10-year contract? For arguments sake, let say it was a 10 year contract. That means the contract is up now. So when the devs say SWTOR "will be around for years to come," I imagine they don't mean 2 years or less.

As for wiki, this particular page is fine, and lists its sources at the bottom. However, if you'd like another one citing when EA acquired BioWare, here is the press release: https://ir.ea.com/press-releases/press-release-details/2007/EA-To-Acquire-BioWare-Corp-and-Pandemic-Studios/default.aspx

Where is the evidence that it was a 10-year contract? For arguments sake, let say it was a 10 year contract. That means the contract is up now. So when the devs say SWTOR "will be around for years to come," I imagine they don't mean 2 years or less.

As for wiki, this particular one is fine and lists its sources at the bottom. However, if you'd like another one citing when EA acquired BioWare, here is the press release: https://ir.ea.com/press-releases/press-release-details/2007/EA-To-Acquire-BioWare-Corp-and-Pandemic-Studios/default.aspx

Google is a wonderous venture, utilize it. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lifestyle/arts/ea-disney-star-wars-deal-658636/ There are plenty of other sites that can confirm this as well.

As I mentioned previously, the contract was signed in 2013, thus nullifying your response that it would be up already.

Edited by Pirana

I'm trying to tell you that BioWare had a previous contract with LucasArts for SWTOR because EA didn't formally acquire BioWare until January 2008. SWTOR had already been in development before EA.

Secondly, SWTOR was released in 2011 -- not 2013 -- so the Disney/EA deal doesn't include SWTOR under those terms.

I'm trying to tell you that BioWare had a previous contract with LucasArts for SWTOR because EA didn't formally acquire BioWare until January 2008. SWTOR had already been in development before EA.

Secondly, SWTOR was released in 2011 -- not 2013 -- so the Disney/EA deal doesn't include SWTOR.

None of that means anything. The contract is what's important. Simply because EA acquired BW in 2008, doesn't negate said contract. I shouldn't have to explain this to an adult.

Disney is the new player in town. Also, this is all moot as Disney owns Lucas Arts and well, the Mouse makes the call.

In any event, this is all George Lucas' fault.

Secondly, SWTOR was released in 2011 -- not 2013 -- so the Disney/EA deal doesn't include SWTOR under those terms.

That is correct, which is why I often refer to this company as EAWare. Nowhere have I mentioned this game was released in 2013, as a matter of fact, I even mentioned in this thread it was released in 2011. Regarding the actual contract, as already mentioned by both of us, no one knows what exactly is in that contract that Disney signed with EA. What is fact though, is that Disney owns Star Wars and can pull the plug anytime they wish to, this shouldn't be hard to understand. And if this endeavor that Disney chose with EA, which does run SWTOR, if at any point and time, they feel it's a net loss, they will pull it.

None of that means anything. The contract is what's important. Simply because EA acquired BW in 2008, doesn't negate said contract. I shouldn't have to explain this to an adult.

Disney is the new player in town. Also, this is all moot as Disney owns Lucas Arts and well, the Mouse makes the call.

In any event, this is all George Lucas' fault.

"I shouldn't have to explain this to an adult," but a previous contract is inherited by the new owner, unless negotiated otherwise.

Nowhere have I mentioned this game was released in 2013, as a matter of fact, I even mentioned in this thread it was released in 2011.

I did not say that you did, however, the Disney-EA contract is 2013 - 2023. Again, as I said, SWTOR predates and operates under different terms. You and I don't know what those terms are.

no one knows what exactly is in that contract that Disney signed with EA. What is fact though, is that Disney owns Star Wars and can pull the plug anytime they wish to, this shouldn't be hard to understand. And if this endeavor that Disney chose with EA, which does run SWTOR, if at any point and time, they feel it's a net loss, they will pull it.

I doubt Disney is going to "pull the plug anytime they wish to" if they have no legal way to end the terms of whatever contract is in place for SWTOR. We don't know the terms, and SWTOR does not operate under the 2013 - 2023 exclusivity contract unless there is a provision in said contract.

Novation is a substitution, including the substitution of one party or obligation for another in a contract. Here's how that works: Party A and Party B are the original signers of the contract. Party A has been bought by Party C, Parties A and B must agree to the novation and sign a novation agreement stating that Party C has been substituted for Party A. Party A is excused from liability by the novation agreement, and Party A gives up any rights against Party B. 1 2

A novation agreement may be part of an original contract, or it may need to be signed at the time of the change. In the case of a name change, for example, a novation agreement might be needed in order to make a new contract with the newly named business.

Assignment is a transfer of some property or ownership to someone else, including duties and rights. For example, some independent contractor contracts state that the duties of the contractor can't be assigned or transferred to someone else. Ownership of intellectual property (copyrights, trademarks, or trade secrets) are sometimes transferred to someone else. A contract might include the right to transfer the responsibilities of one of the parties of a contract to another business entity, which might include the assignment to a successor (new) company.

And considering Disney entered into the contract with EA, the contract between BW and Lucas Arts was not continued or they would not have entered into a new contract and I would not advise anyone to go up against Disney.

In addition, this is not just about contract law, it is also about IP (Intellectual Property Law) and that law is normally tied up very well.

Edited by casirabit

"I shouldn't have to explain this to an adult," but a previous contract is inherited by the new owner, unless negotiated otherwise.

I did not say that you did, however, the Disney-EA contract is 2013 - 2023. Again, as I said, SWTOR predates and operates under different terms. You and I don't know what those terms are.

I doubt Disney is going to "pull the plug anytime they wish to" if they have no legal way to end the terms of whatever contract is in place for SWTOR. We don't know the terms, and SWTOR does not operate under the 2013 - 2023 exclusivity contract unless there was a provision in said contract.

You've answered your previous statement, we don't know what it's in that contract. You don't know what the legalities are unless you're in their board meetings or conference calls. Again though, I'll point out the obvious, which seems to be lost on you, is that Disney owns Star Wars, they have the final say in what happens to their property, which includes this game.

I understand that Casiribit, I also understand, well, know, that Disney owns all Star Wars (including, IINM, all IP) at this point. NOW, they may decide to allow EAware to continue with SWTOR. For a fee of course.

Then we get into what I described a few posts ago, does EA continue with SWTOR, knowing all the financials AND on top of that a fee? (Flat or percentage).

That contract has nothing to do with SWTOR. SWTOR was released in 2011 before the 2013-2023 exclusivity contract. Why is this so hard to understand?

Because Mickey owns any and all Star Wars. You (the ubiquitous you) can't sell a "Star Wars" game when somebody else owns the IP. Doesn't matter when it was released.

EDIT: Said "exclusivity" contract was or is the only thing protecting SWTOR and by default EA from the Mouse. Once Mickey purchased all the IP, I can imagine that had a "cooling effect" on EA's desire to pump money and resources into a game they knew they would / could lose.

EDIT2: https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/ea-plans-to-keep-making-star-wars-games-despite-losing-exclusive-rights-2871715

Do I need to tell you who owns Lucasfilms games? Same company that owns Lucas Arts.

If Ubisoft wants to create a SW game, they have to pay a fee to Disney. Or develop the game and let Disney publish. But I can't market a "Star Wars" game, even if self-developed without expecting MASSIVE litigation from Disney.

Edited by MystyqeofXev
Forgot Something

You've answered your previous statement, we don't know what it's in that contract. You don't know what the legalities are unless you're in their board meetings or conference calls. Again though, I'll point out the obvious, which seems to be lost on you, is that Disney owns Star Wars, they have the final say in what happens to their property, which includes this game.

lol then quit saying it's a 10 year contract that ends in 2023.

I think their contract with EA was signed in 2013, it's whether Disney deems it a worthy investment any further once that ten year contract is up.

Because Mickey owns any and all Star Wars. You (the ubiquitous you) can't sell a "Star Wars" game when somebody else owns the IP. Doesn't matter when it was released.

EDIT: Said "exclusivity" contract was or is the only thing protecting SWTOR and by default EA from the Mouse. Once Mickey purchased all the IP, I can imagine that had a "cooling effect" on EA's desire to pump money and resources into a game they knew they would / could lose.

For argument's sake, let's assume this MMO has a 10-year contract for Star Wars. This game was released in 2011, so the 10 years is already up. So it's possible there's a new contract in place.

This is like talking to a brick wall. That contract was signed in 2013 and due to expire in 2023. If Disney wants to continue onward, the contract could be extended.

Again, what does that contract from 2013 to 2023 have to do with SWTOR when SWTOR was released in 2011, and already operating under its own contract. The contract you bring up is for a Star Wars exclusivity deal, meaning that only EA can make Star Wars games during those 10 years. Thus, it has little or no bearing on SWTOR.

For argument's sake, let's assume this MMO has a 10-year contract for Star Wars. This game was released in 2011, so the 10 years is already up. So it's possible there's a new contract in place.[/quote

This is like talking to a brick wall. That contract was signed in 2013 and due to expire in 2023. If Disney wants to continue onward, the contract could be extended.

]