Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Issue with the Launcher and Intel i7-12700k

digitalfreak

has anyone done a video tutorial for the fix yet?

Apparently this is request to me as an author, but my proficiency in making videos is not enough high. On the other side, using this patcher is very easy:

Download ZIP file, unpack executable file of patcher to SWTOR folder (where the launcher is), run it as administrator. If the launcher has updated the game and should restart, run it again a few times until update finishes. To avoid using the right-click menu every time, create a shortcut to the patcher on desktop or taskbar and select the checkbox "Run as administrator" in Advanced Properties.

The difficulties may begin if you use the Steam launcher or the game hasn't been updated too long. Sometimes need to use a launcher repair utilitiy from EA (one for standard website launcher and another one for Steam). But these cases are rare and I explained them in previous posts here. Making a special video for such cases would be unnecessary.

And finally, please note that the patcher was created as a temporary solution, a quickfix which should work no longer than a few days, maybe a week until BW releases official fix of Alder Lake incompatibility, as almost all developers have already done. Who would know that players will be using it more than 3 weeks, and we still don't have ETA of official fix.

Thanks, Vorpe, I just realised my mistake. I created a patcher in the form of test version (as I supposed) and hoped to get some quick replies which need to fix the problems, if any, and create the final version with more info in description; but I expected that BioWare will release the official launcher with fixed DLL soon, as I highly hoped, so the patcher will be no longer required. But I couldn't foresee that the first version is good itself and BW will work on fix so long.

Because of this I forgot to give the ways to check the identities of the files, sorry. Being not a professional programmer, I don't have a digital signature, also I left empty the file version info. (I can fill it in and re-build, but is it really necessary?) Well, here are the details of the files which are located on my OneDrive storage (e-mail address is in the description, date format DD/MM/YYYY):

ZIP archive with the patcher (executable file) and text file with short description

swtor_alder_lake.zip (2702 bytes)

swtor_alder_lake.exe 5,632 07/01/2022 19:13 -a--

swtor_alder_lake.txt 334 07/01/2022 19:19 -a--

sha1: bfaf5494f1375f503a3e3480f3c6291a8ce46962

ZIP archive with the source code of patcher written in C

swtor_alder_lake_c.zip (2657 bytes)

swtor_alder_lake.c 5,465 08/01/2022 14:50 -a--

sha1: 96441b139102ac47e4357c4f3ebb7bd1e12ad625

All files placed on OneDrive are automatically checked for malware by Microsoft, so even if your anti-malware database is outdated, you can at least count on MS service.

I get the login box with it but then I put my info and it goes away and nothing happens the game never launches

Add another to the long list. Brand new PC build w/ i7. Launcher downloaded and ran fine yesterday. Today nothing I do even launches the launcher. Doesn't appear in task manager, compatibility mode doesn't work, running as admin does nothing either. Uninstalled & reinstalled with same effect. WTH??

I get the login box with it but then I put my info and it goes away and nothing happens the game never launches

Hello Luis_M,

If you were able to input the name and password on the first screen, then the Alder Lake incompatibility has been solved. Remained problems are less likely related to CPU, more likely to Windows or SWTOR installation.

First of all, please add the Windows version you use, which SWTOR account you have (have you downloaded the installer on SWTOR website or installed in Steam), have you played SWTOR on this installation before or it's the first attempt to run the client. Please include the last launcher log. It can be found in the "log" folder inside SWTOR installation, typical name "launcher_20220201.log" (includes the last run date). Some examples of the log can be found on previous pages in this thread. Usually the last lines of log point at the problem which prevents launcher from normal work (for example, missed some required components, no DirectX support in video system, damaged files, login problem, network problems etc.). Many problems can be solved by repairing the SWTOR installation or the launcher.

Add another to the long list. Brand new PC build w/ i7. Launcher downloaded and ran fine yesterday. Today nothing I do even launches the launcher. Doesn't appear in task manager, compatibility mode doesn't work, running as admin does nothing either. Uninstalled & reinstalled with same effect. WTH??

Hello zzzzap,

I suspect that your problem is not related to Alder Lake incompatibility because SWTOR already worked before. Even you haven't mentioned it specifically, I suppose that you used the Alder Lake patcher and know how does it work (it can be seen in Task Manager after start, then it loads the SWTOR launcher launcher.exe, patches the bugged code and immediately quits).

As I can see on my PC, BioWare didn't update the launcher or other components yesterday or today, so it's a problem with your PC only. It may be OS update, conflict with other software, damaged files, many other reasons... Please look at the launcher log, it may help to understand your problem; you can also compare the last log and one of previous logs when SWTOR worked well. As a solution, I would suggest to use the system restore to one of previous dates. I cannot give you more specific advice right now.

Edited by Cassianus
Added details in Task Manager

OK, I understand now your problem. BTW, thanks for good words about my efforts.

I tried to reproduce this on my Windows 11 Pro 22000.469 (last non-insider build). I switched on all possible settings in Windows Security > Virus & threat protection, removed all exclusions; added Cloud-delivered protection and Automatic sample submission (usually they are switched off). Also I switched for test the Memory integrity (Device security, Core isolation) which usually is not recommended because it decreases the system performance.

Then I ran as administrator the patcher swtor_alder_lake.exe. But it showed the usual yellow UAC dialog, after allowing the launcher started and showed the initial screen. No any warning about trojans were on my PC, I cannot reproduce it right now. Maybe OS is different, I can test only on Windows 11 and 8.1.

Anyway, it should be possible to avoid the warning by adding the SWTOR folder to exclusion list: Windows Security > Virus & threat protection > Manage settings > Add or remove exclusions > + Add an exclusion. Select "Folder", then point at SWTOR folder, add it (it should appear in the list of exclusions). Alternatively, you can exclude only the patcher's exe file, keeping the whole folder protected by default.

As I remember, the security system showed me an alert at first start of patcher, I allowed it and this warning no longer was shown again. Maybe your OS work differently in this case. I will try to do more tests, also maybe someone else will see the same problem. If so, please add a post here.

P.S. I am a subscriber since 2013, never cancelled yet.

Hey again Cassianus, so turns out I downloaded the wrong patcher, I went through and found yours (thought I was downloading it again) turned out to be a different one. Only hiccup I had with your was that the launcher closed itself a few times before I was able to login. Just had to open it a few times. Thank you so much!!

Hello Luis_M,

If you were able to input the name and password on the first screen, then the Alder Lake incompatibility has been solved. Remained problems are less likely related to CPU, more likely to Windows or SWTOR installation.

First of all, please add the Windows version you use, which SWTOR account you have (have you downloaded the installer on SWTOR website or installed in Steam), have you played SWTOR on this installation before or it's the first attempt to run the client. Please include the last launcher log. It can be found in the "log" folder inside SWTOR installation, typical name "launcher_20220201.log" (includes the last run date). Some examples of the log can be found on previous pages in this thread. Usually the last lines of log point at the problem which prevents launcher from normal work (for example, missed some required components, no DirectX support in video system, damaged files, login problem, network problems etc.). Many problems can be solved by repairing the SWTOR installation or the launcher.

Windows 11 Pro

Steam Version

I played just fine before I upgraded to i7 12700K, also new motherboard & new RAM- also reinstalled the game fresh into new 980 Pro M.2 - Since the upgrade, the game won't launch.

Log: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2022-02-03 19:09:19 INFO SWTOR Launcher [Core:{BuildVersion} Lib:P1.6] initialized.

2022-02-03 19:09:19 INFO File info: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars - The Old Republic\launcher.exe size=8007384, created=1/30/2022 22:46:21, accessed=2/3/2022 18:57:16, written=1/30/2022 22:46:21

2022-02-03 19:09:19 INFO Initializing download manager

2022-02-03 19:09:19 INFO Loaded settings from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars - The Old Republic\launcher-app.settings

2022-02-03 19:09:19 INFO Loaded agreements from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars - The Old Republic\eula.settings

2022-02-03 19:09:19 INFO Loaded settings from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars - The Old Republic\launcher.settings

2022-02-03 19:09:19 INFO Sending crash dumps to [https://patcher-crash.swtor.com/crashcatch]

2022-02-03 19:09:19 INFO completeLauncherInit()

2022-02-03 19:09:19 INFO -----------------------------(360)-----------------------------

2022-02-03 19:09:19 INFO Timezone: 360

2022-02-03 19:09:21 INFO SpecsHash=3038964716.552001443

2022-02-03 19:09:21 INFO Skipping patcher patch

2022-02-03 19:09:28 INFO User logs in.

2022-02-03 19:09:29 ERROR Crash detected. Sending dump

2022-02-03 19:09:31 ERROR Crash send failed.

OK, I see the dump... While you called it upgrade, I'd say that it's more than a completely new PC (you replaced the CPU, motherboard, RAM, SSD), then reinstalled the game. I see you used the patcher properly, otherwise the last line in the log would be with timezone.

I cannot directly reproduce this case on my PC (the same OS, CPU, similar SSD), but I use the website launcher while your launcher version is from Steam. In such situation I suggested two options couple of pages before: try to repair the Steam launcher or, if it will have no effect, switch to standard website launcher (but you will have to disconnect two accounts and lose the ability to subscribe via Steam, so use this as a last resort).

1) Check your DirectX using both dxdiag utilities, one 64-bit in %windir%\System32, another one 32-bit in %windir%\SysWOW64 (this is the most important). Usually the problems with DirectX are shown in the log directly, but it will never be excessive to check them in advance. Check that the file D3DX9_38.dll presents in the %windir%\SysWOW64 folder (%windir% usually is C:\Windows)

2) Run the launcherDiag.exe utility and check its results.

3) Try to repair the installation without logging in, when crash is not yet happened, using the gear icon on the first screen and "Repair" option (skip if you already tried this and it had no effect).

4) Use the built-in Steam verification of SWTOR installation, as described in the help article.

5) If success, try to run launcher (using the patcher, of course) as many times as need to update all files.

6) Check the launcher log again. Please compare with the log above and post the result here.

If the normal work cannot be restored this way, unlink the accounts and download the website (Streaming as EA calls it) launcher repair utility from EA, the same page. The file is LauncherRepairUtilityU2021.0.18.exe (allow the browser to download from non-secure source). Then you can rebuild SWTOR independently from Steam.

BTW, try to check the Internet connection to crash-collecting web address https://patcher-crash.swtor.com/crashcatch - in web browser it shows the error 405: Method Not Allowed, it's OK (not 404 or "cannot connect" - this would mean a connection problem).

Edited by Cassianus
Added connection check

I've been using the community provided work-around for the last few weeks and it's great. However I'm really disappointed with the complete radio silence from the dev team on this particular issue beyond the simple acknowledgement they gave months ago. I get they're busy, but to be left in the dark on this for so long really feels crappy as a paying customer.

I've been using the community provided work-around for the last few weeks and it's great. However I'm really disappointed with the complete radio silence from the dev team on this particular issue beyond the simple acknowledgement they gave months ago. I get they're busy, but to be left in the dark on this for so long really feels crappy as a paying customer.

I agree, Zoomba. 100%.

OK, I see the dump... While you called it upgrade, I'd say that it's more than a completely new PC (you replaced the CPU, motherboard, RAM, SSD), then reinstalled the game. I see you used the patcher properly, otherwise the last line in the log would be with timezone.

I cannot directly reproduce this case on my PC (the same OS, CPU, similar SSD), but I use the website launcher while your launcher version is from Steam. In such situation I suggested two options couple of pages before: try to repair the Steam launcher or, if it will have no effect, switch to standard website launcher (but you will have to disconnect two accounts and lose the ability to subscribe via Steam, so use this as a last resort).

1) Check your DirectX using both dxdiag utilities, one 64-bit in %windir%\System32, another one 32-bit in %windir%\SysWOW64 (this is the most important). Usually the problems with DirectX are shown in the log directly, but it will never be excessive to check them in advance. Check that the file D3DX9_38.dll presents in the %windir%\SysWOW64 folder (%windir% usually is C:\Windows)

2) Run the launcherDiag.exe utility and check its results.

3) Try to repair the installation without logging in, when crash is not yet happened, using the gear icon on the first screen and "Repair" option (skip if you already tried this and it had no effect).

4) Use the built-in Steam verification of SWTOR installation, as described in the help article.

5) If success, try to run launcher (using the patcher, of course) as many times as need to update all files.

6) Check the launcher log again. Please compare with the log above and post the result here.

If the normal work cannot be restored this way, unlink the accounts and download the website (Streaming as EA calls it) launcher repair utility from EA, the same page. The file is LauncherRepairUtilityU2021.0.18.exe (allow the browser to download from non-secure source). Then you can rebuild SWTOR independently from Steam.

BTW, try to check the Internet connection to crash-collecting web address https://patcher-crash.swtor.com/crashcatch - in web browser it shows the error 405: Method Not Allowed, it's OK (not 404 or "cannot connect" - this would mean a connection problem).

HAHA! yeah I guess your right the only thing I didn't change was the Graphics Card - I don't know how to do half the stuff you are telling me to do here, I did locate the D3DX9_38 dll - but not sure on how to check any of the other stuff - I have ran the verification of files in Steam - uninstall and reinstall but nothing, then when I get the login screen where I type my user name and password there is no settings wheel.

I get the login screen where I type my user name and password there is no settings wheel.

Sure, my mistake, it's not a wheel but a cog, more exactly, two cogs in the lower left corner. This button opens another screen with the option "Repair", but it's true for standard website launcher, Steam version may not have this button and repair option is available inside Steam.

If something I wrote is unclear or hard to understand, please ask, I will try to explain in other words. DXDiag is a test tool, executable file named dxdiag.exe. There are two of them, in System32 and SysWOW64, you should run both.

Hello Darth_Furian,

To better understand your problem, please add the launcher log (at least until the lines with parameters Timezone and SpecsHash). If you had to terminate the launcher in Task Manager, please also add the details how the Alder Lake patcher is seen in it, it should work about a second, then the launcher continues working alone. I suppose that you need to fix SWTOR installation using the launcher repair tool and then downloading the update of all other files (with the help of the patcher, of course).

But first, please tell whether you use the standard (website) launcher or the Steam version.

Edited by Cassianus

Hello Darth_Furian,

To better understand your problem, please add the launcher log (at least until the lines with parameters Timezone and SpecsHash). If you had to terminate the launcher in Task Manager, please also add the details how the Alder Lake patcher is seen in it, it should work about a second, then the launcher continues working alone. I suppose that you need to fix SWTOR installation using the launcher repair tool and then downloading the update of all other files (with the help of the patcher, of course).

But first, please tell whether you use the standard (website) launcher or the Steam version.

I use the standard non-steam version. The Alder Lake patcher is seen in process manager, in fact it stays there until I manually terminate it, like the launcher. Absolutely no window is shown, the launcher doesn't open at all, I have no access to any repair tool.

As for the logs well... Here's todays log :

2022-02-08 07:28:53 INFO File info: launcher.exe size=2512760, created=7/26/2012 19:54:2, accessed=2/8/2022 6:28:10, written=7/26/2012 19:54:2

2022-02-08 17:34:27 INFO File info: launcher.exe size=2512760, created=7/26/2012 19:54:2, accessed=2/8/2022 16:33:55, written=7/26/2012 19:54:2

2022-02-08 17:37:21 INFO File info: launcher.exe size=2512760, created=7/26/2012 19:54:2, accessed=2/8/2022 16:33:55, written=7/26/2012 19:54:2

2022-02-08 17:38:05 INFO File info: launcher.exe size=2512760, created=7/26/2012 19:54:2, accessed=2/8/2022 16:33:55, written=7/26/2012 19:54:2

2022-02-08 17:38:36 INFO File info: launcher.exe size=2512760, created=7/26/2012 19:54:2, accessed=2/8/2022 16:33:55, written=7/26/2012 19:54:2

And here's yesterday's (first time I tried launching the game since new CPU, I don't have any older logs but it's been some time since I last played) :

2022-02-07 19:17:31 INFO SWTOR Launcher [Core:U2021.0.33 Lib:P1.6] initialized.

2022-02-07 19:17:31 INFO File info: E:\Star Wars-The Old Republic\launcher.exe size=8042696, created=3/2/2021 13:10:53, accessed=2/7/2022 19:17:27, written=3/2/2021 12:29:8

2022-02-07 19:17:31 INFO Initializing download manager

2022-02-07 19:17:31 INFO Loaded settings from E:\Star Wars-The Old Republic\launcher-app.settings

2022-02-07 19:17:31 INFO Loaded settings from E:\Star Wars-The Old Republic\launcher.settings

2022-02-07 19:17:31 INFO Sending crash dumps to [https://patcher-crash.swtor.com/crashcatch]

2022-02-07 19:17:31 INFO completeLauncherInit()

2022-02-07 19:17:31 INFO -----------------------------(-60)-----------------------------

2022-02-07 19:17:31 INFO Timezone: -60

2022-02-07 19:18:00 INFO SWTOR Launcher [Core:U2021.0.33 Lib:P1.6] initialized.

2022-02-07 19:18:00 INFO File info: E:\Star Wars-The Old Republic\launcher.exe size=8042696, created=3/2/2021 13:10:53, accessed=2/7/2022 19:17:27, written=3/2/2021 12:29:8

2022-02-07 19:18:00 INFO Initializing download manager

2022-02-07 19:18:00 INFO Loaded settings from E:\Star Wars-The Old Republic\launcher-app.settings

2022-02-07 19:18:00 INFO Loaded settings from E:\Star Wars-The Old Republic\launcher.settings

2022-02-07 19:18:00 INFO Sending crash dumps to [https://patcher-crash.swtor.com/crashcatch]

2022-02-07 19:18:00 INFO completeLauncherInit()

2022-02-07 19:18:00 INFO -----------------------------(-60)-----------------------------

2022-02-07 19:18:00 INFO Timezone: -60

2022-02-07 19:18:25 INFO SWTOR Launcher [Core:U2021.0.33 Lib:P1.6] initialized.

2022-02-07 19:18:25 INFO File info: E:\Star Wars-The Old Republic\launcher.exe size=8042696, created=3/2/2021 13:10:53, accessed=2/7/2022 19:17:27, written=3/2/2021 12:29:8

2022-02-07 19:18:25 INFO Initializing download manager

2022-02-07 19:18:25 INFO Loaded settings from E:\Star Wars-The Old Republic\launcher-app.settings

2022-02-07 19:18:25 INFO Loaded settings from E:\Star Wars-The Old Republic\launcher.settings

2022-02-07 19:18:25 INFO Sending crash dumps to [https://patcher-crash.swtor.com/crashcatch]

2022-02-07 19:18:25 INFO completeLauncherInit()

2022-02-07 19:18:25 INFO -----------------------------(-60)-----------------------------

2022-02-07 19:18:25 INFO Timezone: -60

2022-02-07 20:18:35 INFO File info: launcher.exe size=2512760, created=7/26/2012 19:54:2, accessed=2/7/2022 19:18:30, written=7/26/2012 19:54:2

OK, the situation is better now.

Today BioWare has updated the SWTOR launcher, and the bug with Alder Lake incompatibility has been fixed. At least, for standard website launcher. It no longer requires the patcher, moreover, it may not work correctly if used with the patcher. Please use the patcher one more time only to perform this update, and when the launcher will be updated, you can delete the patcher for good and should run SWTOR as always intended.

The updated launcher:

launcher.exe 8,045,984 bytes 04/02/2022 01:25 (dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm)

Edited by Cassianus

OK, the situation is better now.

Today BioWare has updated the SWTOR launcher, and the bug with Alder Lake incompatibility has been fixed. At least, for standard website launcher. It no longer requires the patcher, moreover, it may not work correctly if used with the patcher. Please use the patcher one more time only to perform this update, and when the launcher will be updated, you can delete the patcher for good and should run SWTOR as always intended.

The updated launcher:

launcher.exe 8,045,984 bytes 04/02/2022 01:25 (dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm)

Nope. Still not working.

Nope. Still not working.

Please try to use the launcher repair, need to download it from this website: LauncherRepairUtilityU2021.0.25.exe.

Despite the date in its name, it contains the updated launcher which works with Alder Lake CPU. Run the updated utility, it will fix the SWTOR installation. EA recommends then to remove the folder bitraider and all its content.

Note that the link to repair utility on EA support page is still not updated, that file LauncherRepairUtilityU2021.0.18.exe is old and cannot work with new CPU.

Edited by Cassianus

The launcher now works on Steam. Good job, Bioware, only took you four months to fix a critical and fundamental flaw in your launcher that somebody fixed in half the time with nothing but a debugging tool.

Props to Cass. What a hero.

Edited by Bulletspongey

Please try to use the launcher repair, need to download it from this website: LauncherRepairUtilityU2021.0.25.exe.

Despite the date in its name, it contains the updated launcher which works with Alder Lake CPU. Run the updated utility, it will fix the SWTOR installation. EA recommends then to remove the folder bitraider and all its content.

Note that the link to repair utility on EA support page is still not updated, that file LauncherRepairUtilityU2021.0.18.exe is old and cannot work with new CPU.

This worked thanks!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.