Issue with the Launcher and Intel i7-12700k

digitalfreak

Hello,

I am a French player. Sorry for my English.

I have a Intel 12700KF and I tested the patch without success. The launcher starts and indicates "update of the launcher" then it closes. Same problem finally.

Cordially.

That is normal. Just keep running it until its finished, it does the SAME thing with the official launcher. When you first install the generally, on another cpu, the launcher closes and opens multiple times.

Hello Cassianus,

It was my first attemption, copy the whole functional SWTOR folder from my old PC to the new PC.

The problem is always like. I click on the launcher. It appears a second then it disappears.

With the patch, the launcher is appeared several seconds and it indicates « the launcher is updating » then the launcher get closed.

Impossible to launch it. The same problem continued. Attemption, first with Windows 10 then Windows 11.

I have a motherboard Gigabyte. I updated the bios and enabled the mode gaming processor. No change.

The patcher that I used is the one which I downloaded from your message (01.07.2022 , 05:34 PM | #233) of the page 24.

Cordially.

I have tried that in the past, it doesn't work. you'll have to reinstall the game, or just put the old storage drive in your pc and use that.

The launcher opening and closing with the fix is normal, idk if youre a steam user or have used the launcher in the past but you should know it does the same thing with the official launcher, on any cpu. Especially for old installs. Just keep running the fix, it will finish eventually, and the launcher will work. I've not heard of this fix not working.

The launcher opening and closing with the fix is normal, idk if youre a steam user or have used the launcher in the past but you should know it does the same thing with the official launcher, on any cpu. Especially for old installs. Just keep running the fix, it will finish eventually, and the launcher will work. I've not heard of this fix not working.

Sorry, but this is not a supposed behaviour. Patcher should work immediately: after replacing the couple of bytes in DLL it is unloaded from the memory (this can be seen in Task Manager) and launcher continues to work on its own, showing the initial screen with user name and password. If it works in different way, for example, if need to run it several times, then the code should be fixed or improved. Because of this, I try to ask people for as much details as possible to improve patcher if need and solve their problems.

If SWTOR client is too old, a year or more, and code is too different, patcher may not be able to fix the bug in DLL. If so, please inform me here which version was used (launcher date and size) and I will try to find it in my system images.

Edited by Cassianus
Added a signature with link

RBF_FAN,

I see you added the launcher log, nice. It shows that your launcher is outdated. For current version, first lines of log should be like this (note the different core version and, most important, launcher size):

2022-01-18 04:02:03 INFO SWTOR Launcher [Core:U2021.0.33 Lib:P1.6] initialized.

2022-01-18 04:02:03 INFO File info: C:\Program Files (x86)\SWTOR\launcher.exe size=8042696, created=7/26/2012 19:54:2, accessed=3/2/2021 15:7:7, written=3/2/2021 12:29:8

Your last line is about Timezone; the next should be SpecsHash, but launcher stops working and quits without error message. It's the typical behaviour after wrong CPU detection. The patcher fixes it, at least for current launcher.

I haven't tested the patcher with your old launcher. I will try to find that version, but if unsuccessful, I may ask you to send me the files launcher.exe and SWTORLaunch.dll (in ZIP archive) by e-mail, this will allow to improve the patcher code.

P.S. I have checked my archives up to July 2017 (Core: D1.0.18), and current patcher allows to use such old launcher. But no luck to find your version, so please send your files for test.

P.P.S. You might have used the launcher repair file from EA support web site, where it's called Streaming launcher (not Stream launcher), file LauncherRepairUtilityU2021.0.18.exe.

It install the files where launcher.exe is smaller than current launcher, its size is 7476440 bytes. After installation, this utility attempts to run this launcher, which fails on Alder Lake. But the patcher swtor_alder_lake.exe is able to run it well. Then this "repairing" launcher downloads the current versions of files and attempts to reload immediately, it fails again. Need to start the patcher again as usual, then the normal functionality is restored and you can log in.

Edited by Cassianus
Added EA launcher repair info

Over 39,000++ views on this thread... yet we still get crickets from BW on a fix, or... anything. :o

Great work, Cassianus, for doing what the dev team has absolutely ignored. We get what... crickets from them??

At the very least, BW should credit Cassianus's account with lots and lots of Cartel coins for doing what they apparently cannot.

Edited by jahrl

Bummer to see this. Just got a new pc and can't play. Hopefully they find a fix soon but it looks like its time to cancel the sub

Drigz, the fix already exists, you need to look a few pages back. I even added the link to my signature (never used it before). If you will have some problems, please ask here. Last couple of weeks I use my PC more as a test machine rather than for playing SWTOR :)

Over 39,000++ views on this thread... yet we still get crickets from BW on a fix, or... anything. :o

I think they have different priorities right now: release of delayed 7.0 is more important than Alder Lake fix. At least they believe in that, even though without a fix a lot of people with last processors could quit completely or cancel subscription. However, I am sure that they know of patcher and don't worry about players who may come here and find the solution.

RBF_FAN,

I see you added the launcher log, nice. It shows that your launcher is outdated. For current version, first lines of log should be like this (note the different core version and, most important, launcher size):

2022-01-18 04:02:03 INFO SWTOR Launcher [Core:U2021.0.33 Lib:P1.6] initialized.

2022-01-18 04:02:03 INFO File info: C:\Program Files (x86)\SWTOR\launcher.exe size=8042696, created=7/26/2012 19:54:2, accessed=3/2/2021 15:7:7, written=3/2/2021 12:29:8

Your last line is about Timezone; the next should be SpecsHash, but launcher stops working and quits without error message. It's the typical behaviour after wrong CPU detection. The patcher fixes it, at least for current launcher.

I haven't tested the patcher with your old launcher. I will try to find that version, but if unsuccessful, I may ask you to send me the files launcher.exe and SWTORLaunch.dll (in ZIP archive) by e-mail, this will allow to improve the patcher code.

P.S. I have checked my archives up to July 2017 (Core: D1.0.18), and current patcher allows to use such old launcher. But no luck to find your version, so please send your files for test.

P.P.S. You might have used the launcher repair file from EA support web site, where it's called Streaming launcher (not Stream launcher), file LauncherRepairUtilityU2021.0.18.exe.

It install the files where launcher.exe is smaller than current launcher, its size is 7476440 bytes. After installation, this utility attempts to run this launcher, which fails on Alder Lake. But the patcher swtor_alder_lake.exe is able to run it well. Then this "repairing" launcher downloads the current versions of files and attempts to reload immediately, it fails again. Need to start the patcher again as usual, then the normal functionality is restored and you can log in.

I caved and just decided to use your launcher fix in the meantime until Bioware releases an official fix.

My game is patching now and hopefully everything else will run smoothly from here :jawa_smile:

Drigz, the fix already exists, you need to look a few pages back. I even added the link to my signature (never used it before). If you will have some problems, please ask here. Last couple of weeks I use my PC more as a test machine rather than for playing SWTOR :)

I think they have different priorities right now: release of delayed 7.0 is more important than Alder Lake fix. At least they believe in that, even though without a fix a lot of people with last processors could quit completely or cancel subscription. However, I am sure that they know of patcher and don't worry about players who may come here and find the solution.

Hi Cassianus,

I've seen people have success with your patch on the Steam version, but I keep getting stonewalled by Steam asking if I meant to use the optional parameter "-ELEVATED". I clikc ok, but then nothing happens. Any idea on what I can do?

I've seen people have success with your patch on the Steam version, but I keep getting stonewalled by Steam asking if I meant to use the optional parameter "-ELEVATED". I clikc ok, but then nothing happens. Any idea on what I can do?

Hello RelStarr,

Sorry, I don't know the correct answer: I have never used Steam, and as I saw, many reviews about subscription through Steam are negative (unlike positive reviews about free SWTOR version). To test how the patcher works with Steam, I should install it on my machine, which I prefer to avoid, at least now. But some people replied that patcher is able to work with Steam version of launcher as well, only need to run it using the patcher instead of Steam UI. You can try this too.

I think it should be possible to switch from Steam to BW launcher directly or by installing the launcher fix from EA, then it will upgrade itself to actual version (see my notes in one of previous posts). If you write on this forum, your BW name and password should be suitable for launcher too instead of Steam name. But it's more a wishful thinking rather than a strict knowledge: I didn't test this myself, so it would be better to make a backup of SWTOR folder first.

As for parameter "-Elevated": it's not optional, it's an internal parameter used by launcher by its design. Normally the launcher needs administrative rights for full read-write access required by updating system. It starts with User rights, then asks for elevation in UAC (user account control) and restarts itself with this parameter. I reproduced this behaviour excluding first start and adding the parameter directly. Because of this, patcher should be run as administrator (can be chosen in context menu or set in the file properties). Without this parameter, launcher may refuse to work or will try to restart, which fails on Alder Lake CPU.

Thanks, Vorpe, I just realised my mistake. I created a patcher in the form of test version (as I supposed) and hoped to get some quick replies which need to fix the problems, if any, and create the final version with more info in description; but I expected that BioWare will release the official launcher with fixed DLL soon, as I highly hoped, so the patcher will be no longer required. But I couldn't foresee that the first version is good itself and BW will work on fix so long.

Because of this I forgot to give the ways to check the identities of the files, sorry. Being not a professional programmer, I don't have a digital signature, also I left empty the file version info. (I can fill it in and re-build, but is it really necessary?) Well, here are the details of the files which are located on my OneDrive storage (e-mail address is in the description, date format DD/MM/YYYY):

ZIP archive with the patcher (executable file) and text file with short description

swtor_alder_lake.zip (2702 bytes)

swtor_alder_lake.exe 5,632 07/01/2022 19:13 -a--

swtor_alder_lake.txt 334 07/01/2022 19:19 -a--

sha1: bfaf5494f1375f503a3e3480f3c6291a8ce46962

ZIP archive with the source code of patcher written in C

swtor_alder_lake_c.zip (2657 bytes)

swtor_alder_lake.c 5,465 08/01/2022 14:50 -a--

sha1: 96441b139102ac47e4357c4f3ebb7bd1e12ad625

All files placed on OneDrive are automatically checked for malware by Microsoft, so even if your anti-malware database is outdated, you can at least count on MS service.

Hey, tried this fix, managed to update the launcher, got past the username/password section, hit the play button and then the monitor goes black screen as if it will load the game then continues to crash. Not sure if anyone else has had this issue with your patch, it was the same with jedi95 patch. Not sure what other information I can give you to try and help fix this?

Hey, tried this fix, managed to update the launcher, got past the username/password section, hit the play button and then the monitor goes black screen as if it will load the game then continues to crash. Not sure if anyone else has had this issue with your patch, it was the same with jedi95 patch. Not sure what other information I can give you to try and help fix this?

Hello xrmx,

The problem you have happens much after the moment when the patcher has successfully fixed the CPU incompatibility and allowed you to log in (when the launcher shows initial screen, patcher is already quit, you can see it in Task Manager). So, you have a problem with the client, which should work normally with Alder Lake in Windows 11 or 10, even in 8.1 if you managed to install it on such machine.

While I am not ready to assist you like tech support, your "official" options are also limited because BW/EA support still doesn't have a practice with this CPU and OS. So, my first recommendation would be to run the DXDiag and, if it will not find any problem, attempt to repair the SWTOR installation from the launcher (screen Settings). It will scan the integrity of all files, which takes some time. On my machine it took about 2 min. If the repaired installation still doesn't work properly, need to look more deeply.

One possible source of problems may be in damaged user configuration. It is stored in the folder

%userprofile%\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings\

(to see it, need to show hidden files in Explorer). You can rename the "settings" to something else, for example, "settings_old", then client after the start will re-create all settings anew and assign the default values. As a result, for example, you will see the animated logos and have typical graphic/sound parameters. All custom UI settings your characters had will be reset to default. If it will be successful, you can use these initial settings and restore your preferred UI options step-by-step, carefully checking that functionality of client isn't lost after a few changes.

Hello xrmx,

The problem you have happens much after the moment when the patcher has successfully fixed the CPU incompatibility and allowed you to log in (when the launcher shows initial screen, patcher is already quit, you can see it in Task Manager). So, you have a problem with the client, which should work normally with Alder Lake in Windows 11 or 10, even in 8.1 if you managed to install it on such machine.

While I am not ready to assist you like tech support, your "official" options are also limited because BW/EA support still doesn't have a practice with this CPU and OS. So, my first recommendation would be to run the DXDiag and, if it will not find any problem, attempt to repair the SWTOR installation from the launcher (screen Settings). It will scan the integrity of all files, which takes some time. On my machine it took about 2 min. If the repaired installation still doesn't work properly, need to look more deeply.

One possible source of problems may be in damaged user configuration. It is stored in the folder

%userprofile%\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings\

(to see it, need to show hidden files in Explorer). You can rename the "settings" to something else, for example, "settings_old", then client after the start will re-create all settings anew and assign the default values. As a result, for example, you will see the animated logos and have typical graphic/sound parameters. All custom UI settings your characters had will be reset to default. If it will be successful, you can use these initial settings and restore your preferred UI options step-by-step, carefully checking that functionality of client isn't lost after a few changes.

Hey Cassianus, I tried all of the above and unfortunately nothing worked so I will try re install the game, but not getting my hopes up, I will probably need to wait until the official patch comes out at this rate :(

Hey Cassianus, I tried all of the above and unfortunately nothing worked so I will try re install the game, but not getting my hopes up, I will probably need to wait until the official patch comes out at this rate :(

Of course you can reinstall the game, but I am afraid that the result will be nearly the same: repair should work similar to reinstallation, but it doesn't remove user profiles. Profiles, on the other side, can be re-created independently, but apparently it didn't help you. In such cases the official support usually asks to perform the system diagnostics by running launcherDiag.exe and send the result by mail. However, this file may contain too much information, including the details of user account and machine, so I would prefer not to ask you for it. Better to find another way, if possible.

For example, you can attach here the client log (not the launcher log because the launcher works normally now). It is located in <SWTOR folder>\swtor\retailclient\swtor\logs\

You can choose one of last logs, it should contain the line(s) with error info. Also try to look in the OS Event Viewer for last critical and error messages related to SWTOR client. If it crashed, then OS writes such info to event log. Some other advices from EA support articles may also help.

I suggest to do as much as possible right now, fix of the launcher from BW unlikely will solve your particular problem. However, after that the Alder Lake CPU will be counted supported and you will be able to ask EA for help with the client.

When I built my new rig, I installed the non steam version, dropped the alderlake launcher in and then ran it like six times before the launcher that came up stopped saying that it needs to update and then exiting.

After that I logged in and waited an eternity for the download and install but the game works fine.

Of course you can reinstall the game, but I am afraid that the result will be nearly the same: repair should work similar to reinstallation, but it doesn't remove user profiles. Profiles, on the other side, can be re-created independently, but apparently it didn't help you. In such cases the official support usually asks to perform the system diagnostics by running launcherDiag.exe and send the result by mail. However, this file may contain too much information, including the details of user account and machine, so I would prefer not to ask you for it. Better to find another way, if possible.

For example, you can attach here the client log (not the launcher log because the launcher works normally now). It is located in <SWTOR folder>\swtor\retailclient\swtor\logs\

You can choose one of last logs, it should contain the line(s) with error info. Also try to look in the OS Event Viewer for last critical and error messages related to SWTOR client. If it crashed, then OS writes such info to event log. Some other advices from EA support articles may also help.

I suggest to do as much as possible right now, fix of the launcher from BW unlikely will solve your particular problem. However, after that the Alder Lake CPU will be counted supported and you will be able to ask EA for help with the client.

Hey, so I checked the client log and I have this, no idea what it means though.

2022-01-21T14:54:37.881945 4de4 INFO [bwaRenderer] ERROR: CreateDevice() failed 'D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE' adpater: 0 [Client.Renderer](dx8cs_services.cpp:`anonymous-namespace'::RendererLogMessageHandler:571)

2022-01-21T14:54:37.881945 4de4 INFO [bwaRenderer] Failed to create D3D Device [Client.Renderer](dx8cs_services.cpp:`anonymous-namespace'::RendererLogMessageHandler:571)

2022-01-21T14:54:37.881945 4de4 INFO Renderer Failed to initialize renderer interface. [Client.Renderer](dx8cs_services.cpp:`anonymous-namespace'::RendererLogMessageHandler:571)

OK, xrmx, I checked these lines in my log:

2022-01-21T18:49:14.635717 16f8 INFO [bwaRenderer] Initializing renderer... [Client.Renderer](dx8cs_services.cpp:`anonymous-namespace'::RendererLogMessageHandler:571)

2022-01-21T18:49:14.653282 16f8 INFO [bwaRenderer] using 24-Bit Depth Buffer. [Client.Renderer](dx8cs_services.cpp:`anonymous-namespace'::RendererLogMessageHandler:571)

2022-01-21T18:49:14.711382 16f8 INFO [bwaRenderer] Successfully created Device [Client.Renderer](dx8cs_services.cpp:`anonymous-namespace'::RendererLogMessageHandler:571)

Apparently you have a problem with DirectX, more exactly, with Direct3D. SWTOR uses the D3D libraries which are not included in OS and are added during initial installation to the system directory. For example, you should have the file D3DX9_38.dll in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ (it should be added by installer, manual copying is not enough).

I suggest to perform the DirectX diagnostic using both 32 bit and 64 bit tools. Usually they are located in:

C:\Windows\System32\dxdiag.exe (64-bit)

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dxdiag.exe (32-bit)

This needs some time, then you will see result screen. Pay attention at Display, DirectX Features: they all should be enabled, except of DirectX 12 Ultimate (not used in the game).

You may download DX runtime from Microsoft: DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)

You may also have a problem with video adapter or video driver, try to update or reinstall it too.

OK, xrmx, I checked these lines in my log:

2022-01-21T18:49:14.635717 16f8 INFO [bwaRenderer] Initializing renderer... [Client.Renderer](dx8cs_services.cpp:`anonymous-namespace'::RendererLogMessageHandler:571)

2022-01-21T18:49:14.653282 16f8 INFO [bwaRenderer] using 24-Bit Depth Buffer. [Client.Renderer](dx8cs_services.cpp:`anonymous-namespace'::RendererLogMessageHandler:571)

2022-01-21T18:49:14.711382 16f8 INFO [bwaRenderer] Successfully created Device [Client.Renderer](dx8cs_services.cpp:`anonymous-namespace'::RendererLogMessageHandler:571)

Apparently you have a problem with DirectX, more exactly, with Direct3D. SWTOR uses the D3D libraries which are not included in OS and are added during initial installation to the system directory. For example, you should have the file D3DX9_38.dll in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ (it should be added by installer, manual copying is not enough).

I suggest to perform the DirectX diagnostic using both 32 bit and 64 bit tools. Usually they are located in:

C:\Windows\System32\dxdiag.exe (64-bit)

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dxdiag.exe (32-bit)

This needs some time, then you will see result screen. Pay attention at Display, DirectX Features: they all should be enabled, except of DirectX 12 Ultimate (not used in the game).

You may download DX runtime from Microsoft: DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)

You may also have a problem with video adapter or video driver, try to update or reinstall it too.

Update: turns out my OS installation somehow became corrupted so I had to reinstall my OS and this solved the issue, thanks for the help :)

So, apparently I've also joined the unlucky crowd with Alder Lake CPUs.

At first I thought it was Windows 11 issue, but then my friend, who's been using the same 12700k only with Win 10 - has run into the same problem.

I wonder if the official patch will come at all?

A bit salty about subsciption too.

I wonder if the official patch will come at all?

A bit salty about subsciption too.

Have the same issue just with the i9-12900k and also salty about subscription.

Welcome, newcomers! Indeed, people coming here were unlucky almost two months because no official patch was released; it still doesn't exist. But the situation changes, unofficial fix of this problem is happily found and many players already used it last two weeks (more exactly, two fixes: one is here and another one is on SWTOR-related Reddit). So, people who earlier considered to cancel their subscription can now play SWTOR on their PCs with Alder Lake, waiting at the same time for official fix; but developers still haven't announced their progress. It may be released with the fix next Tuesday, or only with 7.0, who knows...

If you are brave enough to use the unofficial patcher (code is available too), then the bonus: you may ask any question about it or, more generally, about problems with SWTOR client in Windows 11 here, I try to answer them all, as you see.