The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

[SPOILER] SoR Republic/Imperial dialogue differences

KingStannis_B

Is there any particular reason for the dialogue differences in Shadow of Revan? For example:

Imperial: "You wanted my return. You did not need to destroy whole fleets, or turn a living world barren for that. You only had to point the Empire and Republic to a shared adversary, and let them do what they do naturally: make war. The scores of dead have nourished me. I am awakened, and I bring with me--death!"

Republic: "The deaths you've caused. The war you've fueled. It is all mine. This galaxy is mine. It's time I claimed it once more."

The Imperial version is the most impactful in my opinion. I don't see any obvious reason why the Republic side gets a simple and concise version?

Another strange difference is when Revan merges back into one piece. In the Imperial version, the dark revan is afraid to become one with the Force and is then reassured, but in the Republic version he instantly goes along with it.

Edited by KingStannis_B

Not to mention that the story is much more impactful if you play a Warrior. Not even Knights get as good dialogue.

I'm forever salty that the Jedi Knight didn't get any interesting dialogue when they have Scourge with them.

How you capture the insane Imperial Guard leader is a bit different too. If I remember correctly, on the Imp side, you simply capture him, while on the Pub side, Darth Marr walk in and ***** slap him lol

I guess they wanted to give it a different feel for both sides to add some replay value to the story, but imo it ended up being a bit lackluster on Republic Side. Already on Rishi I felt that I got more information as Imperial compared to my Republic characters. Plus Imps could be a lot more sceptical from the beginning while Reps just were expected to go with it from the start, especially when it came to working with Theron or Lana if you were from the opposing side.

I'm forever salty that the Jedi Knight didn't get any interesting dialogue when they have Scourge with them.

As someone who had read the Revan novel prior to playing the game, this was the biggest miss and disappointment in whole SoR for me. Like someone from upstairs who had no clue of or cared about the story just decided that every class character was just allowed one voiced male and female companion each and here the LIs took precedence, story be damned. So we ended up with Doc who, like, never adds anything useful to the story. :rolleyes:

Dialogues change as a matter of perspective to your faction.

I'm disappointed when rescuing Theron Imperial gets a flirt dialogue option when Theron saves himself but Republic doesn't. Then again, Republic bangs Theron but Imperial only gets a kiss goodbye on Yavin.

Oh, this is not the Theron Shan fan club thread? :D;)

I guess they wanted to give it a different feel for both sides to add some replay value to the story, but imo it ended up being a bit lackluster on Republic Side. Already on Rishi I felt that I got more information as Imperial compared to my Republic characters. Plus Imps could be a lot more sceptical from the beginning while Reps just were expected to go with it from the start, especially when it came to working with Theron or Lana if you were from the opposing side.

As someone who had read the Revan novel prior to playing the game, this was the biggest miss and disappointment in whole SoR for me. Like someone from upstairs who had no clue of or cared about the story just decided that every class character was just allowed one voiced male and female companion each and here the LIs took precedence, story be damned. So we ended up with Doc who, like, never adds anything useful to the story. :rolleyes:

Never read the book but I read the wiki page after Scourge has become one of my fav comps.

Scourge should be an important side character in SoR. There could be a lot of interesting conversations with Revan depending on whether we play a light side or dark side Jedi Knight, but all we have is... silence.

I got the feelings that a lot of writers have no idea how to write the Republic side of stories.

Imp side RotHC is way more interesting than Pub side, from the story itself to the NPCs (love that we get a Suicede Squad of Imps from all races and background). SoR is essentially one story but Imp side NPCs and Imp/Pub interactions are written better. Good guy story doesn't necessary mean boring, but sadly, most Pub side stories are just boring to me. Or worse, trying to be edgy and dark and "realistic" by whining about "RePUblic corRupTion!1! PoLitIcs bAd!!11!" (looking at you, Trooper class story).

Dialogues change as a matter of perspective to your faction.

I'm disappointed when rescuing Theron Imperial gets a flirt dialogue option when Theron saves himself but Republic doesn't. Then again, Republic bangs Theron but Imperial only gets a kiss goodbye on Yavin.

Oh, this is not the Theron Shan fan club thread? :D;)

Imp side Theron romance is fun. It's quite sad to think that Theron didn't think we'll meet again on Yavin-4 so the goodbye kiss is more of my thing. What can I say, I crave that sweet hurt/comfort and angst lol

Every thread can be a Theron Shan thread :p

Never read the book but I read the wiki page after Scourge has become one of my fav comps.

Scourge should be an important side character in SoR. There could be a lot of interesting conversations with Revan depending on whether we play a light side or dark side Jedi Knight, but all we have is... silence.

If you like Scourge you should definitely read the novel since half of it is written from his perspective. On the other hand it will just make you more frustrated over the lost potential. It wouldn't even need a lot of dialogue to make it feel right. But, ah, that ship has sailed of course.

I got the feelings that a lot of writers have no idea how to write the Republic side of stories.

Imp side RotHC is way more interesting than Pub side, from the story itself to the NPCs (love that we get a Suicede Squad of Imps from all races and background). SoR is essentially one story but Imp side NPCs and Imp/Pub interactions are written better. Good guy story doesn't necessary mean boring, but sadly, most Pub side stories are just boring to me. Or worse, trying to be edgy and dark and "realistic" by whining about "RePUblic corRupTion!1! PoLitIcs bAd!!11!" (looking at you, Trooper class story).

I don't mind the more realistic approach, quite the opposite. They are usually the better stories on Pub side for me. You need some internal struggle to make a story interesting - if all are just good guys then it gets boring (just like on Imp side if all are just evil). I really wish I could put my finger on why RotHC and SoR felt lackluster on Rep side compared to Imp. I mean, Rep side has Oggurobb in RotHC! :D Though discount-Kira (Lemda Avesta) was a bit of a let down.

If you like Scourge you should definitely read the novel since half of it is written from his perspective. On the other hand it will just make you more frustrated over the lost potential. It wouldn't even need a lot of dialogue to make it feel right. But, ah, that ship has sailed of course.

I don't mind the more realistic approach, quite the opposite. They are usually the better stories on Pub side for me. You need some internal struggle to make a story interesting - if all are just good guys then it gets boring (just like on Imp side if all are just evil). I really wish I could put my finger on why RotHC and SoR felt lackluster on Rep side compared to Imp. I mean, Rep side has Oggurobb in RotHC! :D Though discount-Kira (Lemda Avesta) was a bit of a let down.

I have the book somewhere, it's just, like you said, I'm afraid that reading the book will make me more angry about the lost potential.

For me, RotHC Imp side has better NPCs, and they are different: an honorable Sith who's put here because of Sith politics. A cold, workaholic officer who signed up to be away from paper work. Aliens who's put on the suicide job probably because they are aliens. And you get to save the planet, even though not with a noble motivation, but you save it anyway. The character death(s) feels more impactful. The Makeb Imperial team is dedicated and loyal, they give up their lives to achieve an impossible goal, which it's rare and unique compared to the other Imperials we've met as an Imp side toon. On the Contrary, Pub side Makeb is more blend. You meet people, you save people. It feel like an episode of the Transformers G1 cartoon, if you know what I mean. Oggurobb is fun, but there's nothing really special about it. The only thing special is how realistic Saresh reacted to your "accomplishment". "What do you mean you get me no super fuel but millions of refugees?!!" it's harsh and probably politically incorrect even in the SW universe, but yeah, that would be a hot mess for the Republic. Sadly we never really hear anything about it after that.

SoR is better, Darth Marr's slightly different attitude is interesting on the Pub side (and the slap is *chef kiss* lol) but Theron/Imp side toon romance interaction is better on the Imp side to me so I'm biased...