Can't click links in chat, anyone know what causes this?

Seridin

Links in chat are either unclickable or when I can click them once in a while the item appears almost offscreen, so I have to grab the edge and drag it up, but most times links just don't work at all. Anyone know a work around or a setting to fix this?

The tooltips are opening but they are doing it below the chat window which probably means off screen if you have chat at the bottom. Try moving chat up a little bit and you'll see the top of the tooltip which you can then drag to somewhere you can read it.

It has been broken for months. Doesn't seem to be of any concern to BW.

Resetting the UI (Ctrl+U+U) fixes it... momentarily. I can click one link and then it breaks again.

That sucks, maybe if we all keep bug reporting it, something will get done

The tooltips are opening but they are doing it below the chat window which probably means off screen if you have chat at the bottom. Try moving chat up a little bit and you'll see the top of the tooltip which you can then drag to somewhere you can read it.

Ty I will give this a try today

That doesnt work. I already tried that.

The best workaround is to ctrl u u anytime it fails to work.

• 1 year later...
turn on chat click-trough in preferences, apply, then turn it off again and apply. FIxed it for me.

edit: nope, got broken minute later again. WHat a game, what a company :D

For me the link pop-up can randomly appear off screen. I don't know why this happens, but I keep hitting Escape key until the Options menu appears.

The priority for Escape key is:

Windows - character sheet, abilities, etc.

Pop-ups - item and achievement links

Options menu

Because the Options menu is the lowest priority, once I see that menu, I know the link pop-up has also been closed (without being able to see it). Then links will work again until the bug happens. It doesn't happen often for me. Pretty random, maybe a few times a week.

Like someone posted above, it's possible to force it to happen by putting chat window at bottom of the screen. Then link pop-ups will usually be off screen all the time because the pop-ups always appear at bottom right of chat window. (it's coded pretty "dumb", not robustly.)

So anyways, the next time this happens, try hitting Escape a few times. It might work and save you some time not having to Ctrl+U or relog.

For me the link pop-up can randomly appear off screen. I don't know why this happens, but I keep hitting Escape key until the Options menu appears.

The priority for Escape key is:

Windows - character sheet, abilities, etc.

Pop-ups - item and achievement links

Options menu

Because the Options menu is the lowest priority, once I see that menu, I know the link pop-up has also been closed (without being able to see it). Then links will work again until the bug happens. It doesn't happen often for me. Pretty random, maybe a few times a week.

Like someone posted above, it's possible to force it to happen by putting chat window at bottom of the screen. Then link pop-ups will usually be off screen all the time because the pop-ups always appear at bottom right of chat window. (it's coded pretty "dumb", not robustly.)

So anyways, the next time this happens, try hitting Escape a few times. It might work and save you some time not having to Ctrl+U or relog.

OMG I thought this was just me this was happening too! Years ago I set my UI similar to how I had my WoW UI set up so my brain didn't have to learn a new layout. Any link I click in swtor gen chat frequently pops up off the screen below and to the right of chat, which is bottom left on my UI. Sometimes I can drag the link box up because I generally know where it is off screen but this doesn't always work. I shall try your "escape" plan :)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...