What's the best way to acquire the Emergency Power set?

karimthejedi

The closest you get to a sure-fire way is Dxun. Kai Zykken's random objects are too random to be called "sure-fire" (and the inventory thing is just to stop them giving duplicates). The only way that's 100% guaranteed, when available, is to buy it directly from Kai when he has the item explicitly.

(I'm at three pieces of Apex Predator so far: one dropped from an ordinary reward crate, and the other two were bought directly from Kai when he had them as individual pieces.)

The closest you get to a sure-fire way is Dxun. Kai Zykken's random objects are too random to be called "sure-fire" (and the inventory thing is just to stop them giving duplicates). The only way that's 100% guaranteed, when available, is to buy it directly from Kai when he has the item explicitly.

(I'm at three pieces of Apex Predator so far: one dropped from an ordinary reward crate, and the other two were bought directly from Kai when he had them as individual pieces.)

Yeah Zykken's random rolls are unreliable. I just rolled a few and seem to have gotten duplicates; I guess he replicates adaptive armor and stops at class-specific? I hope.

Anyway thanks. I'll find a group for Dxun hopefully!

Well, for starters, you can use Right Price for just about all the content except Master operations. I’m not even sure what the best set is for pvp, it’s probably not Strategist although that set is sort of designed to be it. You really need to work on getting tech fragments and renown crates, and you can get plenty of both from content tankable in Right Price.

Basically all my pieces of EP came from Kai’s random unique item, although I may have gotten one or two from a renown crate. So the way that worked for me was to wait until I had 9-10k tech fragments and buy 9-10 things at once. Just buy them quickly and don’t look at what you have until after you’ve purchased the 9-10 items. To maximize your chances of getting something you don’t have, like a piece of emergency power, you need to make sure that you have everything you DONT want in your inventory or PERSONAL cargo hold. Therefore, I usually bring all those “General” sets into my inventory like Stationary Grit, Taskmaster, Victor, Tristin’s Retort, Final Breath, etc. Now, I know that in theory Kai can still give you a duplicate of those general pieces even if you have it in your inventory. But, I seem to get less duplicates this way. I still get duplicates but less of them. I always placed all of my emergency power pieces into legacy cargo hold. I use this same technique for opening renown crates or really any series of boxes. I usually store up a bunch of various types of crates and open a bunch at once, since it is very time consuming to clear out inventory to make room for all the general sets. Kai also looks at your achievements so make sure, if you have bugged or incomplete achievements for sets, you fix the bug for everything BUT emergency power. To fix a missing achievement for a set you actually have, mail the set to one of your characters and then equip it. This usually updates the achievement when you pull the items out of the mail message and put them on. Do this for every VG/PT set you own except emergency power and for every general set that you can.

It’s not a foolproof method and it is even less reliable once you have the full set on one character (with the achievement completed), but this method more or less helped me get to my first set and 4/7 for my second set thus far.

Short of running Dxun, of course. If you do, and you are grouping with friends/guild mates, try to bring as many Troopers/BHs as possible. You can tank the story mode version of the op with the Right Price set well enough.

Well, for starters, you can use Right Price for just about all the content except Master operations. I’m not even sure what the best set is for pvp, it’s probably not Strategist although that set is sort of designed to be it. You really need to work on getting tech fragments and renown crates, and you can get plenty of both from content tankable in Right Price.

Basically all my pieces of EP came from Kai’s random unique item, although I may have gotten one or two from a renown crate. So the way that worked for me was to wait until I had 9-10k tech fragments and buy 9-10 things at once. Just buy them quickly and don’t look at what you have until after you’ve purchased the 9-10 items. To maximize your chances of getting something you don’t have, like a piece of emergency power, you need to make sure that you have everything you DONT want in your inventory or PERSONAL cargo hold. Therefore, I usually bring all those “General” sets into my inventory like Stationary Grit, Taskmaster, Victor, Tristin’s Retort, Final Breath, etc. Now, I know that in theory Kai can still give you a duplicate of those general pieces even if you have it in your inventory. But, I seem to get less duplicates this way. I still get duplicates but less of them. I always placed all of my emergency power pieces into legacy cargo hold. I use this same technique for opening renown crates or really any series of boxes. I usually store up a bunch of various types of crates and open a bunch at once, since it is very time consuming to clear out inventory to make room for all the general sets. Kai also looks at your achievements so make sure, if you have bugged or incomplete achievements for sets, you fix the bug for everything BUT emergency power. To fix a missing achievement for a set you actually have, mail the set to one of your characters and then equip it. This usually updates the achievement when you pull the items out of the mail message and put them on. Do this for every VG/PT set you own except emergency power and for every general set that you can.

It’s not a foolproof method and it is even less reliable once you have the full set on one character (with the achievement completed), but this method more or less helped me get to my first set and 4/7 for my second set thus far.

Short of running Dxun, of course. If you do, and you are grouping with friends/guild mates, try to bring as many Troopers/BHs as possible. You can tank the story mode version of the op with the Right Price set well enough.

Thank you so much!

So you also keep the items in your personal inventory/cargo hold when even opening renown boxes and conquest crates? That's interesting. I'll def keep the achievement thing in mind and try doing it asap.

Also, you mean to say Dxun story mode can drop sets of Emergency Power?

And when you collected 9-10K frags and rolled on Zykken, how many rounds of that you reckon took you to get the full set? Given that you fixed any achievement bugs and had as many items in your inventory when rolling.

Thanks again!

Thank you so much!

You are welcome, but I can't take credit for figuring out the trick, its described in this thread:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9926104#post9926104

So you also keep the items in your personal inventory/cargo hold when even opening renown boxes and conquest crates?

Yup. Last few weeks I've been working on a third copy of Revitalized Mystic and Empowered Restorer, which is a set that is conquest-preferred. Using the above described technique, and two toons, I was able to complete the sets pretty quickly.

Also, you mean to say Dxun story mode can drop sets of Emergency Power?

Well, I won't commit to a specific drop rate on story mode, but the patch notes from 6.0.1 clearly state:

Source: Increased drop chance from Dxun Operation bosses. Not available on the Tech Fragment vendor.

by which I think it is reasonable to infer the following:

1.) There is a real chance of looting it from story mode Dxun, but probably small

2.) The chance to loot it goes up with op size and difficulty mode, just like every operation-preferred set.

3.) The chance to loot it goes up the more Troopers or Bounty Hunters in the group, just like every operation-preferred set.

Regarding point 3 specifically, I remember shortly after 6.0.1 went live, people on Satele Shan would advertise for Dxun PUGs that were Trooper-only or BH-only. I mean its probably doable, Plasma Tech is great for DoT spreading and commando heals are very good, especially since the BiS set at that time was Concentrated Fire (which was later nerfed but still isn't bad.) At any rate, Right Price, Meteor Brawler, and Concentrated Fire are all available from the Tech Frag vendors so it was pretty easy to get a decently-geared group together.

Now, I will say that I have pretty routinely seen Dxun-preferred sets drop in HM Eternity Vault and Karagga's Palace. I have witnessed two pieces of Apex Predator drop on a guild run 8-person HM EV within the past 3 or 4 weeks for example. However, even though I have seen several original 6.0 Dxun sets drop in HM EV/KP, I have never seen a piece of Emergency Power drop from those two ops. That doesn't mean it can't, but I haven't seen it in the 18 months or so since the set was added to the game in 6.0.1.

And when you collected 9-10K frags and rolled on Zykken, how many rounds of that you reckon took you to get the full set?

It's pretty bad. I think I got a piece of EP every 20 items or so I bought from Kai. It's gone down quite a bit since I got several of the pieces marked off for the achievement. Who knew we'd actually want that bug to NOT be fixed?

Does this inventory thing really work with Kai? Just put all your crappy sets in a "gambling" character's inventory and you'll never get those sets from Kai?

Never is far too strong. You WILL definitely get Victor's set pieces, Life Warden tacticals, all the usual trash, any General piece basically, just maybe a little less of it.

Edited by phalczen

ive seen the thread! yea its ridiculous how they've made this set so impossible to acquire. hopefully they change that. has anyone brought it to the devs attention?

cool im itchin to try it and restore my efficient termination set, which i think is gonna be damn tough since the achievement is completed. lets see!

also yes, gonna have to get some BH's and troopers together for Dxun, prob veteran mode and hope for the best. do multiple pieces fall throughout? any looting tips? my loot is set to default.

thanks for all the tips and info; especially on other ops etc. but ill stick to Dxun since its the proven method and prob gonna roll on Zykken 10 items at a time like u advised, maybe i can collect one full set and equip similar stats for both Rep and Imp toons.

cheers!

ive seen the thread! yea its ridiculous how they've made this set so impossible to acquire. hopefully they change that. has anyone brought it to the devs attention?

cool im itchin to try it and restore my efficient termination set, which i think is gonna be damn tough since the achievement is completed. lets see!

Death Knell is better than Efficient Termination (hint: ET boosts Spike or whatever the Shadow equivalent is(1), which is a very limited-use ability since it can only be used while in stealth). Both are available from the Consular/Inquisitor vendor on the Fleet.

(1) I call it "Boot to the Head", as a commentary on what your Shadow does, but mostly as a homage to Tae Kwon Leep by The Frantics.

Death Knell is better than Efficient Termination (hint: ET boosts Spike or whatever the Shadow equivalent is(1), which is a very limited-use ability since it can only be used while in stealth). Both are available from the Consular/Inquisitor vendor on the Fleet.

(1) I call it "Boot to the Head", as a commentary on what your Shadow does, but mostly as a homage to Tae Kwon Leep by The Frantics.

I'm actually on Death Knell with my Shadow, since I've chosen DPS for the time-being. But after reading a guide online I'll try Efficient Termination when I switch to Tank. Unless what you say is true, that the Spinning Kick ability can only be used from stealth. I'll double-check.

And lol, I actually googled your reference. Cheers

Edited by karimthejedi

I'm actually on Death Knell with my Shadow, since I've chosen DPS for the time-being. But after reading a guide online I'll try Efficient Termination when I switch to Tank. Unless what you say is true, that the Spinning Kick ability can only be used from stealth. I'll double-check.

And lol, I actually googled your reference. Cheers

Spinning Kick/Spike can be used outside of stealth and without positional requirements for tank Shadows/Assassins.

Although it won't do its knockdown to most ops bosses or a player with full resolve, it can still be used, and with the 6-piece Efficient Termination set, grants you 10% damage reduction for 6 seconds, so its benefit is in anticipating a big boss attack or other similar incoming attack and resilience/force shroud is on cooldown. It is still listed as the best in slot for defensive gearing in the SWTOR Theorycrafter discord. Death Knell is listed as BiS for offensive-oriented (but still a tank) gearing. I use both sets while tanking depending on the content, as well as Rebuking Assault.

I picked up my full set off Kai but I had around 100k tech frags saved up and burned through them right before they changed the timers on the vehicles that cost tech frags.

I also finished my Apex set and 4/6 of the vet ranger set with those 100k tech frags.

Edited by Darkestmonty

Spinning Kick/Spike can be used outside of stealth and without positional requirements for tank Shadows/Assassins.

Ah, OK. That would be the source of my confusion. I play Infiltration Shadow and the mirror (Deception?), where it has those restrictions. Thanks.

Hey guys,

Just a re-bump coz a guildie mentioned he got the Emergency Power set from rolling on the general vendor, which when you look at it, costs considerably less in terms of both tech frags and credits (its basically 0 credits to roll on the Spoils of War vendor).

Just wanted to verify the above? Or is it only Zykken? And since Zy is more expensive on the random roll, does that provide a higher chance of getting the item?

I feel like the general Spoils of War vendor can also give out the "Onderonian" general items so could potentially be a huge waste despite the price reduction.

Cheers,