The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Sets should always come boxed up

When you buy an armor set from the CM it should always come boxed up instead of individual pieces.

This saves the player inventory space and keeps things organized so the player can more easily resell the set as a whole on the GTN or so they do not lose pieces when claiming multiple sets.

Side suggestion: have an NPC on fleet that will box a set if you bring them all the pieces. I know this is an impossible function but it would make an incredible money sink if you charge 10 million credits.

When you buy an armor set from the CM it should always come boxed up instead of individual pieces.

A variation on this is a recurring request. The variation is that the Collections interface should give you armour sets in a box rather than in individual pieces when you claim them.

This saves the player inventory space and keeps things organized so the player can more easily resell the set as a whole on the GTN or so they do not lose pieces when claiming multiple sets.

I've never heard of people *losing* pieces when buying whole sets from the CM, nor (and it wouldn't matter anyway) when claiming them from Collections. On the other hand, the "sell the set on the GTN" thing is a good point for CM purchases.

Side suggestion: have an NPC on fleet that will box a set if you bring them all the pieces. I know this is an impossible function but it would make an incredible money sink if you charge 10 million credits.

I don't think it's impossible, although the details of how it would have to work to make it *correct* are a little hairy. In essence, you'd take the full set of N pieces of the same not-bound armour set(1) to this NPC, and, in a way that's vaguely similar to a vendor, the NPC would offer a boxed-set in return, which would also be not-bound.

(1) For sets like Resort Swimwear(2), where there are multiple pieces for the same slot (two chest pieces for Resort Swimwear, two helmets for the Darth Malgus one with a duplicate, and two heads and two chests for one of the more recent ones), you still have to provide the full eight or nine pieces, not just a complete seven-piece set of one piece per armour slot.

(2) I cite that one because it's the first that was like that, and also because it's the only one whose exact name I remember.

the player can more easily resell the set as a whole on the GTN

There were a couple of times when I purchased an armor set from the Cartel Market and put it up for sale on the GTN, and somebody bought just the Chestpiece, nothing else. That seemed to make the rest of the armor set unsellable. It seemed like nobody wanted to buy the armor pieces without the Chest armor.

I don't know if my experience is common, but that's what happened to me, and it really put me off of selling Cartel Market armor sets on the GTN unless they're boxed up.

And as you say, if a player wanted to keep an armor set, having it boxed up would make storage a lot simpler.

I fully support this idea.

I'd also like it if you could just recover the single piece you need/want rather than the whole set.

- or -

You recover the set from collections as a box, from which you can then remove the piece(s) you want, and then which you can just turf the rest as a box.

I'd also like it if you could just recover the single piece you need/want rather than the whole set.

- or -

You recover the set from collections as a box, from which you can then remove the piece(s) you want, and then which you can just turf the rest as a box.

That would be excellent as well.

I've never heard of people *losing* pieces when buying whole sets from the CM, nor (and it wouldn't matter anyway) when claiming them from Collections. On the other hand, the "sell the set on the GTN" thing is a good point for CM purchases.

I have stupidly deleted an unused piece of armor when unlocking multiple sets. I'll buy a few sets, claim them all then start unlocking them all and forget one piece and delete it. So far I haven't been caught doing this with an expensive set, but I'm sure someone else has.

There were a couple of times when I purchased an armor set from the Cartel Market and put it up for sale on the GTN, and somebody bought just the Chestpiece, nothing else. That seemed to make the rest of the armor set unsellable. It seemed like nobody wanted to buy the armor pieces without the Chest armor.

I don't know if my experience is common, but that's what happened to me, and it really put me off of selling Cartel Market armor sets on the GTN unless they're boxed up.

And as you say, if a player wanted to keep an armor set, having it boxed up would make storage a lot simpler.

I fully support this idea.

There are a few reasons people do this. First is they just want one piece for their outfit. They don't care about about adding it to collections and may only have one character. Second, they need it to finish their collections unlock and third, they are buying up all of one piece (chest) so they can resell the chests later for a few hundred million mark up.

This is the reason I want all sets purchased to come boxed up.

Edited by Darkestmonty

I have stupidly deleted an unused piece of armor when unlocking multiple sets. I'll buy a few sets, claim them all then start unlocking them all and forget one piece and delete it. So far I haven't been caught doing this with an expensive set, but I'm sure someone else has.

Fair point, although I wouldn't call that "losing" a piece.

• 2 weeks later...
Sets should always come boxed up

+1. Perhaps it made the programmer's job easier to just list everything separately when granted rather than indexing everything in the database to reflect it being in a box, who knows.

All I know is it now takes two passes to get all the mail pieces when I create a new character, and at least 2 full rows of that are taken up by individual armor pieces that could have been boxed up. I create a toon, go the mailbox, grab the first full inventory of stuff, consume it or stow it in my cargo hold, then go back to the mailbox and grab the back half of the stuff.

Quality customer service isn't about making life easier for the customer service providers, but their customers.