Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

Ya cause GC being a bio-chemist then getting hired on developing WoW(based on some demo with no dev experience) knew what he was doing too!!!! right????? AMIRITE??

GC was hired into the Age of Empires: Rise of Rome development team based on an Age of Empires custom map he did, where he continued making maps. By Age of Empires 2 he was the Lead designer and continued being the Lead Designer in Ensemble Studious until 2008 after which he was hired by Blizzard, having then 10 years of industry experience.

There he mostly took over Tom Chiltons(Kalgan) job of Class/Proffession mechanics, meanwhile there's still 5 other game designers doing the rest of the game. If you remember, Kalgan was universally hated on at the forums, so it's not surprising they changed the public face.

Edited by Zironic

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank You - Baznasty (Thread 1, Page 87) -- WoW Example/Contrast MUST SEE!:

As explained in the video below, you can kill two target at the same time with two different ability. The mount in swtor does not feel fluid at all tho, but again seems more like a specific issue.

Thank You - Sanchpanza (Thread 1, Page 123) -- TOR Example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzP0xjNLyX4

Thank You - Hulduet (Thread 2, Page 89) -- TOR Ability Activation Timer:

Thank You - Samdbtto (Thread 1, Page 124) -- TOR Target Switch Responsiveness

These might be the only video related to ability delay. I can say i am not experiencing anything similar, in my case every ability fire at gcd. I had issue similar to these when i was playing with graphic at high ( bubble popping 2sec-3sec after i cast it). Try to turn everything on low and see if that help. My computer should run this game at high but its just so much more fluid at low, so it might be a problem with graphic setting.

Note1 : In the first video it seems to take time to draw the weapon. Dunno if that have to do with something.

Note2 : In both video they dont try to cast an other spell after the lagging one. Would like to see if its still possible to cast 1 spell every 1.5 sec in those condition.

Thank You - Badchx (Thread 1, Page 181) -- TOR Healing Issue MUST SEE!:

Its an ui bug, not really related with ability delay..

Thank You - Devolution (Thread 1, Page 210) -- TOR Melee Ability Delay MUST SEE!:

It seems like riposte does not fire if there is a GCD. It casted instantly once the gcd was over. Again specific issue

Thank You - Badchx (Thread 2, Page 148) -- WoW/TOR Cast-Moving Responsiveness MUST SEE!

See

Thank You - jtype_sw (Thread 3, Page 24) -- Kolto Injection Healing FAIL ABSOLUTE MUST SEE!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fc79BNC-zI Thats far from being an ability delay problem. Its the ability not firing at all. Much, much worst. I hope they fix this issue and again, ive never experienced that.

Thank You - Owarida (Thread 3, Page 27) -- Imperial Agent, Delay + Snipe Cancel etc.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTX3VYtZGhE

Odd bug specific to cover. I heard it does not do this if you cover on place (shift+f). Also i think this is adressed in patch 1.02.

So while swtor still have a lot of bug in their combat system, i dont think there is a problem with how the combat system was designed.

Only two of these video show a problem related to ability delay, and since i am not having this problem it lead me to believe that it is user specific and not something wrong with the core of the combat system.

Im not saying every thing is perfect and that those issue are not real issue. (I wish those issue are getting fixed soon.)

What im saying is there is nothing wrong with the core mechanic,

(or they might in some specific case but i have yet to see any) and in my experience combat felt pretty fluid and i never lose time beetween gcd to fire a spell. Note that some spell takes time to travel before damaging, but that should not stop you from firing 1 spell every gcd.

Also, if they change the cast bar ui to make it more like wow i feel like some people would feel its more fluid. ATM its when the castbar turn white while it would feel more fluid if it was before it reach the end.

Look.

I am asking you to give me an example to reproduce. If you can't do that from your OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE then why are you here?

Give me an ability to go and do this myself that you know causes this problem so I can bug report it and you can get it fixed! I went looking for this problem and I could not find it!

Stop dodging the damn question. There is no point in sending Bioware false information and saying it effects abilities that it doesn't effect. The only example I can find that works guaranteed every time is the mounting effect, which I bug reported myself last week. In terms of instant abilities, they all work exactly when they are supposed to with the exception of Riposte.

wow sooo delusional it´s not even funny LOL

The videos don't actually show anything. I've watched them all, I've attempted to reproduce them, and nothing actually happens that is out of the ordinary.

None of you appear to actually know what is going on! The only one who seems to have any idea is the ex WoW player who can't even quantify what's going on beyond a general "lack of competitiveness" which considering WoW itself had a very connection biased tendency to shut itself off mid run and prevent you from taking actions is patently absurd.

Like I said. Examples. You should be able to reproduce them if you're suffering this problem, because I've been trying for a week and I simply can't do it. There are Knights and Warriors swearing that they can't interrupt anything ever because of ability lag and here I am, interrupting precisely when I mean to.

So you'll have to forgive my skepticism.

Again. The homeopathy industry is worth around a billion quid in the UK.

IT DOESN'T WORK.

Give me something to reproduce, damn it. An ability I can use where I can test its responsiveness precisely. All you are doing is reinforcing my general opinion that this is in fact a band wagon effect based on a handful of definable examples of this problem.

I'm not going to "get with the program" because a large number of people are convinced something is happening. 80% of the planet believes in God.

this is me trying to get on my mount. you can try this one yourself, you've gotten to lvl 25 right?

Edited by Corwingeorge

So while swtor still have a lot of bug in their combat system, i dont think there is a problem with how the combat system was designed.

Only two of these video show a problem related to ability delay, and since i am not having this problem it lead me to believe that it is user specific and not something wrong with the core of the combat system.

Im not saying every thing is perfect and that those issue are not real issue. (I wish those issue are getting fixed soon.)

What im saying is there is nothing wrong with the core mechanic,

(or they might in some specific case but i have yet to see any) and in my experience combat felt pretty fluid and i never lose time beetween gcd to fire a spell. Note that some spell takes time to travel before damaging, but that should not stop you from firing 1 spell every gcd.

Also, if they change the cast bar ui to make it more like wow i feel like some people would feel its more fluid. ATM its when the castbar turn white while it would feel more fluid if it was before it reach the end.

Hi, I made the

video.

My point with this video is that when I release my move button, be it running og strafing, I expect the game to allow me to start casting right away. In wow, thats not a problem. In swtor I have to wait 0.2-0.5 sec before I can start casting. My "fix" to this, is always doubletapping my keys. Very annoying.

But it almost seems that there are different animationlenght between the classes. I see that your Twi'lek is somewhat smother than my Rattataki. And if that also is the cause, we have a huge problem when it comes to endgame pvp/raids.

"You're not a Twi'lek ey? Get out". :p

I am seriously really baffled how some people cannot see this problem. There are two possibilities: they dont want to acknowledge the problem or their gameplay is so slow that they dont perceive the delay.

I noticed the ability delay problem the first time I went into warzone in beta. At the time I didnt know what was wrong but the combat just felt - strange, laggish, unresponsive.

Hi, I made the
video.

My point with this video is that when I release my move button, be it running og strafing, I expect the game to allow me to start casting right away. In wow, thats not a problem. In swtor I have to wait 0.2-0.5 sec before I can start casting. My "fix" to this, is always doubletapping my keys. Very annoying.

But it almost seems that there are different animationlenght between the classes. I see that your Twi'lek is somewhat smother than my Rattataki. And if that also is the cause, we have a huge problem when it comes to endgame pvp/raids.

"You're not a Twi'lek ey? Get out". :p

I would seriously doubt its a problem with the rattataki being different than the twilek. Still something the dev would need to investiguate.

If you pay attention to the footstep in swtor you should be able to cast right after you hear it, but this can be heard more easily when jumping+casting.( You have to hear the two foot touch the ground before you can cast)

If its any different for you then there is indeed a problem with something.

I am seriously really baffled how some people cannot see this problem. There are two possibilities: they dont want to acknowledge the problem or their gameplay is so slow that they dont perceive the delay.

Three possibility actually, they are not having an issue.

Three possibility actually, they are not having an issue.

if you arent having an issue how come you're telling us about not having the issue 20 times and not playing the game?

if this delay wasnt drivin me nuts, id be playin the game, instead of arguin with people like you

Edited by Corwingeorge

and watch the game burn baby burn.

Seriously, this is not an easy fix and will most likely not be changed. To fix this it would take an entire new combat engine and I don't see it happening. The problem was known since Alpha of this game and kept getting pushed aside for "more important" issues.

People in Beta kept complaining about this issue and BW chalked it up to "don't spam your buttons" and "We want to give the combat a real feel so we waited until all animations finish before damage occurs".

I remember reading BW saying pretty much this but the Beta forums are now gone.

Either Way someone at BW will lose their job and this game will ultimately fail unless this is changed soon and it's not going to happen.

It's not entirely that bad, however I would like to see this fixed. Its rough trying to get on my speeder 34 times each time.

He, tbh the speeder dismount is really not a big problem for me - no one there that wants to kill you. Pvp combat, well, that is another story...

if you arent having an issue how come you're telling us about not having the issue 20 times and not playing the game?

if this delay wasnt drivin me nuts, id be playin the game, instead of arguin with people like you

Cause there is a 3 part thread saying everyone have issue with everything while i do not.

Either Way someone at BW will lose their job and this game will ultimately fail unless this is changed soon and it's not going to happen.

One does not create a 200m MMO using a 3rd party engine - at least if you want it to be succesful. Guess what bioware did :>

and watch the game burn baby burn.

Seriously, this is not an easy fix and will most likely not be changed. To fix this it would take an entire new combat engine and I don't see it happening. The problem was known since Alpha of this game and kept getting pushed aside for "more important" issues.

People in Beta kept complaining about this issue and BW chalked it up to "don't spam your buttons" and "We want to give the combat a real feel so we waited until all animations finish before damage occurs".

I remember reading BW saying pretty much this but the Beta forums are now gone.

I was in beta for 4 month before the game launched and no where did they say that. Also i keep seeing people saying animation have priority over ability but thats just not the case for me and i have yet to see this in any video posted here yet.

I even posted a video that shows the animation is delayed 1sec after the ability start casting.

So i posted a video of ability having priority over animation, can anyone post a video of animation having priority over ability ? i doubt it.

I would seriously doubt its a problem with the rattataki being different than the twilek. Still something the dev would need to investiguate.

If you pay attention to the footstep in swtor you should be able to cast right after you hear it, but this can be heard more easily when jumping+casting.( You have to hear the two foot touch the ground before you can cast)

If its any different for you then there is indeed a problem with something.

So what you're saying is that it's an animationdelayproblem? Because we cant be watching the feet of our chars when fighting a movmentboss?

And nobody is going to listen to footsteps during endgame pvp/raid? :)

So what you're saying is that it's an animationdelayproblem? Because we cant be watching the feet of our chars when fighting a movmentboss?

And nobody is going to listen to footsteps during endgame pvp/raid? :)

No you just have to start casting when your char finish moving.

When you hear his footstep was just an example to know precisely when he stop moving.