Pixelated shadows in graphics

Devousa

Hi,

My settings for the game are pretty high but recently I have noticed in some cutscenes shadows on character's clothing or skin tend to pixelate a lot. Does anyone know which setting would affect these? They are quite random so by no means a constant disturbance but I was thinking if there's a setting I can turn off to make the issue go away.

In the image link you can see an example of this effect on the character's Jedi Robes.

https://imgur.com/a/uGTO43r

Are there some trees or foliage casting those shadows? It's possible one of the objects has some bug with shadows but the rest of the objects have normal shadows. Or it could be one of those random low res bugs, like with textures sometimes it will randomly switch to low rest muddy textures before returning to high res. Happens more frequently in cutscenes, or at least that's when I notice it.

Are there some trees or foliage casting those shadows? It's possible one of the objects has some bug with shadows but the rest of the objects have normal shadows. Or it could be one of those random low res bugs, like with textures sometimes it will randomly switch to low rest muddy textures before returning to high res. Happens more frequently in cutscenes, or at least that's when I notice it.

The scene in the image I linked first happened indoors but I would say in general I have had this issue appear in both indoor locations as well as outdoors. I was able to get this second screenshot where some trees are casting "nice" shadowy pixel blocks on Kira Carsen's face.

https://imgur.com/a/zeTKaGT

• 10 months later...

I've got your back, bro.

Try the following one at a time until you see a difference:

* Turn off Ambient Occlusion in the Nvidia Control Panel for SWTOR.

* Turn off "Enhanced Shadows" in the in-game settings.

* Turn up your Shadow Cascades to High or Shadow Resolution bar all the way up.

Pixelated shadows could come from 2-3 different settings. You'll need to play with each Shadow option in the game settings and try low, then high, until you see that change in pixilation. I can tell you that this is an in-game setting and not anything wrong with your rig, my shadows crisp and clear in-game.

• 6 months later...
The scene in the image I linked first happened indoors but I would say in general I have had this issue appear in both indoor locations as well as outdoors. I was able to get this second screenshot where some trees are casting "nice" shadowy pixel blocks on Kira Carsen's face.

https://imgur.com/a/zeTKaGT

Ive noticed the same issues lately :D And my laptop is high-end gaming laptop. I play on Ultra.

I started a new toon and had the same pixel shadow on one NPC on Tython. (it was a talking cutscene).

Also today on Coruscant... The starting quest for Jedi Knight story when you meet your master and some other guys in the Cenate, the togruta jedi talking a lot and 2-3 times say "me and Kira" , "you and Kira" etc and pointing on her right side but there is no one there in the cutscene :D I just thought Im missing something cuz I cant see Kira in the whole room when they zoom the scene out a few times. Then I decided to record the weird bug and pressed ESC to replay the cutscene but then the NPC Kira just appeared next to the jedi master. 30 sec later.... And when I started the converstation again to record it.... she was on her place this time.

Also I just noticed the planets below the GSF fights... The moving ships/cars and the trafic on surface are very bad pixels. It must be a new thing cuz I started play GSF only cuz the cool and amazing look of the space a few weeks/months ago.

PS: Is it possible they broke the old game code when they changed the UI and the other stuff in this expansion?

Edited by iankalo