Is it time to start over and add 5 new companions for each Faction?

commanderwar

I'm on the other side one of thoese players who love getting new comps (etc.) even if they won't use them even once xD

It's just interesting and cool and even more if these comps later stay visible on Odessen. It creates a image that our faction is increasing and strenghting which is great!

As for who should be new companion or important story character for each faction is very very hard question, but indeeed Rivix should be on Imp side.

Yeah I agree, but what I love about companions the most is the interaction with our character in the story, or the companion stories they hac.

On a off note, Still can't believe Lana, had no companion story yet. a least, theron had a book about him, Lana should at least get a companion story

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you meant to reply to someone else? Or maybe I was confusing, in my very last post, because there is a misunderstanding.

Sorry ... my apologies !!

Let me try to approach it this way ...

I was adding more stuff to what was said (I should have been a lot more clear on that .. and obviously wasn't).

I think we're in agreement (for the most part). Just maybe looking at how to get there a little differently!

We're good on this end. I agree with your original idea ... just added some stuff as to why.

I hope this makes a little better sense. If not ... that's cool. Ask for better clarification. I wont go thermal on ya !!

We have a lot but like OP says, precious few ones to carry a proper narrative.

The issue is BW wanted/want's to do consequences but for some reason the only way they know how/can is the [kill] button.

Bar one case I can think of (cracks on Odessan wall) there are no player specific visual changes to the game world, based on your choices, like other MMO's have. Even ancient one, like LOTRO. Guess it is too technically challenging or labour intensive. It's all been that damn character homicide crutch.

But years of that cruthc have laid waste to the character pool. I mean who honestly cares about the throw away cast of every new piece of content? What percentage of players can even name the leadership of their respective factions at this stage? On the other hand I know about the big WoW characters and I never played that game past trial. Cos Blizz managed to build a consistent narrative based on strong cornerstone characters that have transcended the bounds of that one game... while BW killed theirs off one after another to give players "choice".

As much as I love Malgus, and think devs were extremely short-sighted to kill him off at launch, he's the incarnation of this game's narrative nightmare. They wrought such devastation on the character line up they had to revive one to try and carry the torch a bit further.

For a supposedly story based game, SWTOR narrative honestly has the depth of a puddle on account of how they handle companions.

Pretty much this, we already had more than enough companions, but BW got too trigger happy, made most of them killable to the point they can't really use them in the main story anymore so they just exist as random show ups who just "Oh you're going to save the world, well not before you get a kiss honey, ok bye never see you again until I need to kiss you again". Got even more crazy when they started killing important faction specific companions killing any of the future conflicts that could have came out of it. Now that the story is going back to Repub vs Imps it would have been nice to see how Lana and Theron would conflict and interact with that, would have given Lana especially some much needed weight, but can't do that now. Now we're stuck with a bunch of bland stand ins. So if they did ever reset the board, don't make the same mistake twice.

XIV has followed a similar pattern to WoW, XIV has been through multiple expansions from Heavensward, to Stormblood to Shadowbringers. Most of the core characters in all these expansions are still alive. Even the ones who were criticized by the fanbase like Lyse. And the story has only become stronger because of it. You play the original game, and none of the characters you knew then are the same as they are now, hell most of them aren't even the same class or have the same abilities they used to, nor the same motives, they have blossomed into entirely different beast over all 3 of the expanions along with the protagonist. That development can't happen with Swtor killing everybody left and right.

Edited by vallixas

Problem is that BW screwed themselves over with only Theron and Lana being important. You, the player character, are not even as important as they are. You, the player character, are supposed to the the center of the story. Lana also has way more screen time than Theron.

Interesting take, but how far does the story advance if I just ignore it? Will they team up and play the expansions out w/out me? If not, then they are not the driving force for the content. It could be, quite simply, that they get more screen time because, besides the original ship compliment for each class, they've been with us longer than anyone else.

Problem is that BW screwed themselves over with only Theron and Lana being important. You, the player character, are not even as important as they are. You, the player character, are supposed to the the center of the story. Lana also has way more screen time than Theron.

They were pretty much even for a time. During SoR, the events throughout Rishi and Yavin 4 especially if you were Pub player, Theron got more time, but if you were an Imp player Lana got more time. It changed in KOTFE when Theron was gone up until the midpoint of the storyline. Though they made up for it as Theron was heavily involved with the missions there on out, and the star fortresses etc while Lana barely got any side arc other than the main plot. Theron again got a whole arc (no matter how bad the pacing/writing was) while Lana again just remained a mommy to the PC while not actually getting her own side stuff. So one could argue Theron had more considering he got his own side content, and his own arc within the main plot.

But I agree with your other point pretty much during and after KOTET the commander became less important, and now it's basically adventures of Lana and friends

As much as I love SoR/KOTFE for introducing Lana and Theron (and especially Theron to us, I mean I probably would have unsubbed much quicker without the addition). Those expansions and the introduction of the alliance DID start the the PC on the path to becoming less important, and the game feeling less personal. Part of that also began with taking away our ship, and the personal moments with companions on said ship. The game opted for a more cinematic experience. Lana and Theron both appear on your original ship whenever you go on it, but gone were those 1 to 1 convos with your companions. Everything about Theron and Lana are said by them in the main story, and they are constantly in a state of keeping the story going forward. We can never just sit with them like the originals, everything about them being constantly connected to the main plot, so it feels less personal. I don't even know why they really gave us the ship back because it doesn't really serve the purpose it used to.

Edited by vallixas

Sorry ... my apologies !!

Let me try to approach it this way ...

I was adding more stuff to what was said (I should have been a lot more clear on that .. and obviously wasn't).

I think we're in agreement (for the most part). Just maybe looking at how to get there a little differently!

We're good on this end. I agree with your original idea ... just added some stuff as to why.

I hope this makes a little better sense. If not ... that's cool. Ask for better clarification. I wont go thermal on ya !!

I keep forgetting to reply to these post, sorry it took a while, I believe I get it. But yes, in a better world, I would want more conversations with the old romance, but there are too many and lot of them can be dead. So I think starting over is the best option

Pretty much this, we already had more than enough companions, but BW got too trigger happy, made most of them killable to the point they can't really use them in the main story anymore so they just exist as random show ups who just "Oh you're going to save the world, well not before you get a kiss honey, ok bye never see you again until I need to kiss you again". Got even more crazy when they started killing important faction specific companions killing any of the future conflicts that could have came out of it. Now that the story is going back to Repub vs Imps it would have been nice to see how Lana and Theron would conflict and interact with that, would have given Lana especially some much needed weight, but can't do that now. Now we're stuck with a bunch of bland stand ins. So if they did ever reset the board, don't make the same mistake twice.

XIV has followed a similar pattern to WoW, XIV has been through multiple expansions from Heavensward, to Stormblood to Shadowbringers. Most of the core characters in all these expansions are still alive. Even the ones who were criticized by the fanbase like Lyse. And the story has only become stronger because of it. You play the original game, and none of the characters you knew then are the same as they are now, hell most of them aren't even the same class or have the same abilities they used to, nor the same motives, they have blossomed into entirely different beast over all 3 of the expanions along with the protagonist. That development can't happen with Swtor killing everybody left and right.

I agree, besides companions BW needs to stop killing characters so fast. Empire really has no important faction characters yet. Hopefully Tau and General will lead the Jedi and republic, and will become a important faction characters, and Malgus can be the important faction character for the empire. I do think BW should stop listening to players who ask to kill them off imo

Edited by commanderwar

While I can understand the thought behind this idea, and I agree with certain points, I don't want what would in essence be a clean slate. There are companions and LIs right now who are near and dear to my heart, and I'd be gutted if they were replaced with a brand new set. Yes, I'm bummed when I don't get a sweet cutscene with Theron, Arcann or... hell, who even knows what my Quinn is up to these days but, at least we get -something- every now and then. Even if it is only a letter, and I'd rather have that than to see them replaced and never get a thing again from those characters. And, Lord Scourge... we have petitioned for literal years to have him become a romance option, which has only recently started paying off, at long freaking last. Nothing Bioware could offer in the shape of new LIs and companions would ever make me willing to lose him now.

I get that sounds selfish when a brand new set of companions and romances might be best overall, for the player majority, but this isn't something I'm willing to support. Adding new companions and LIs, sure, I'm still waiting for Balkar with open arms, but just not in place of the ones we have now.

PS: I know you're not suggesting wiping everyone we have now from the board but that is what would end up happening with a brand new party introduced and given screentime/a role to play.

Edited by JennyFlynn

Honestly, i could hardly care less about adding new companions.

What's the point to add more, and more LIs when we all know the dudes will die anyways as there will always be some edgelord dudebros who will want to kill anything that doesn't have bewbs and who doesn't worship the floor they walk on... ?

I'd much rather have actual content for the companions i never killed and who are not called Lana Beniko... And who should never have been given that option in the first place, especially the LIs, and even more so the ones who were actually part of KOTFE.

Every time the night life event comes round there are plenty of players who play only to get the companion. So clearly some like having more, you may not, others do.

I do agree with you character LI's should never of had a kill option.

I personally don't see the need to "start over" but have no issues at all in adding more companions. I also don't see a propblem in allowing players to remove comps that are no longer part of the on-going story, should they chose to. You could always add any removed companion to the Odessen terminal should any player want any removed companion back.

Edited by StormForceDax

Warning wall of text to follow !!

Every time the night life event comes round there are plenty of players who play only to get the companion. So clearly some like having more, you may not, others do.

I do agree with you character LI's should never of had a kill option.

I personally don't see the need to "start over" but have no issues at all in adding more companions. I also don't see a propblem in allowing players to remove comps that are no longer part of the on-going story, should they chose to. You could always add any removed companion to the Odessen terminal should any player want any removed companion back.

While I can understand the thought behind this idea, and I agree with certain points, I don't want what would in essence be a clean slate. There are companions and LIs right now who are near and dear to my heart, and I'd be gutted if they were replaced with a brand new set. Yes, I'm bummed when I don't get a sweet cutscene with Theron, Arcann or... hell, who even knows what my Quinn is up to these days but, at least we get -something- every now and then. Even if it is only a letter, and I'd rather have that than to see them replaced and never get a thing again from those characters. And, Lord Scourge... we have petitioned for literal years to have him become a romance option, which has only recently started paying off, at long freaking last. Nothing Bioware could offer in the shape of new LIs and companions would ever make me willing to lose him now.

I get that sounds selfish when a brand new set of companions and romances might be best overall, for the player majority, but this isn't something I'm willing to support. Adding new companions and LIs, sure, I'm still waiting for Balkar with open arms, but just not in place of the ones we have now.

PS: I know you're not suggesting wiping everyone we have now from the board but that is what would end up happening with a brand new party introduced and given screentime/a role to play.

While both of these are unquestionably valid points and undoubtedly shared by a larger group that probably has responded ... there are a couple of points that make OP point of view a very valid point as well.

Consider the following:

** Right now companions are (for the most part) dead !! Some are dead at the hands of an assortment of dark side players who indeed believe to be the incarnation of death itself (so-to-speak). Although this is not my own personal style of doing things I do (strangely enough) understand this particular mind set. That is their right to make those choices.

On the other hand many really enjoy their interactions with their companions. This part of the game if it continues as demonstrated for the last two years is indeed already a thing of the past. I personally think that this a bad idea. I do understand the logistics and $$$ behind the affair and as a retired purchasing director can appreciate a part of the decision making process ... but I also see the other side of the cause / affect equation and believe that there should be other alternatives to look at and solve the equation with a balance that would be more equitable for everyone ( including the board of directors and share holders at EA).

** As a part of "dead companions" mentioned earlier is the matter of who is still alive. Again, regardless of what reason and HOW we got here (frustrations aside) the simple fact is ... this is where we are at. And even now there is a thread requesting to have the ability to do away with Lana Beniko.

I must confess I was sadly disappointed when at the conclusion of Echoes of Oblivion instead of seeing Kira ... who's face did I see ... Lana! IMO the writers missed a golden opportunity and frankly messed up !! Lana was still on Odessen ?? Well .... That went well !!! (NOT !!)

That said the fate of Lana is still yet to come. That is not what this thread is about (there is one that is still active for that discussion). BUT it is, however, an opportunity to demonstrate as to HOW we got to where we are with what companions we have that still remain (for any number of reasons).

** Future companions. Yes we need some !! We also need some of the old ones to return ??

Two points to ponder (one of which is that of OP).

A). New companions also bring a certain "freshness to the game". It does without question add new depth to the content. Yet the simple undeniable fact is that we all come from different backgrounds in RL and consequently see the same character differently. Even still ... we need that "freshness" to the game.

OH ... just a foot note here: visiting companions. Someone needs to sort out just how much these new "visiting" companions dominate what is happening. IMO .. if they are visiting companions while they are a part of the story they shouldn't be who we are forced to deal with to the point where we don't even interact with our normal companions. JUS is an example of where this clearly was a bad idea. The overall story was written where everyone was left behind ... thereby forcing the entire episode to focus on one person. Not good !!

All of that said .. new companions at the expense of all of the old ?? Freshness added to the game should not destroy the long term relations that many players have build throughout the duration of this game. Many feel very strongly about that sort of thing. It's not my position to determine a right or wrongness of their attachments. It is there. Ignoring that would indeed be a mistake.

B). New companions for a "fresh start". Why?? Well simply stated there are so many that have been written out of the game (for one reason or another). Theron Shan is a primary example of this. Although I have personally kept Theron on as a part of the team ... many have not. There are several others in this same state of affairs. Properly reconciling this has to be a writers nightmare !!!

IMO this is why OP has came to his conclusion with the question: is it time to start over with some new ones and perhaps NOT make the same mistakes ?

In a perfect world I would love to simply add some new ones to a very limited list of those we have now which might include the following:

** Kira Carsen (my overall favorite)

** Theron Shan

** Vette (overall disposition is just fun)

** HK-55 ( +1 to kill counter !! )

** Gault

** Lana Beniko (has to be one of the most faithful in the entire game)

** Lord Scourge ( for those who like him .. )

Sorry just more or less my personal favorites (with the exception of Lord Scourge ) ... I am aware that there are so many more.

In a perfect world we would be having a LOT more fun with our companions that what we are. There would also be more customizations available as well (hair styles and the like).

BUT ... if all of that remains as it is ... DEAD !!! Would it be better to have 5 new ones ??

OP has an interesting point to be pondered !!

Holy crap, you made me forget all about HK (you can't blame me, they dusted him so fast), he was one of the best new comers, and they got rid of him so fast to replace him with Scorpio. You just highlighted the main problem, it's not so much that they killed too many companions (I mean they did), it's moreso they killed off some of the better personalities on the team. In a perfect world, none of the characters in your list should have been touched with a death option.

Theron faired a little better than most. Due to his popularity and existence throughout much of the expansions. He still shows up after frequently, usually whenever Lana does as well, I appreciated his inclusion in echoes of oblivion, and they're atleast TRYING to keep up the lana/theron dynamic that they had pre-nathema, but it still just seems.....off.

Ultimately, I think they realize the Theron choice was a big oppsie, they've been trying to remedy that choice and make it up to the fanbase by keeping Theron almost as active as Lana in the newer stuff. But it's like if you were going to do that, you shouldn't have had the death choice in the first place.

Edited by vallixas

Warning wall of text to follow !!

While both of these are unquestionably valid points and undoubtedly shared by a larger group that probably has responded ... there are a couple of points that make OP point of view a very valid point as well.

Consider the following:

** Right now companions are (for the most part) dead !! Some are dead at the hands of an assortment of dark side players who indeed believe to be the incarnation of death itself (so-to-speak). Although this is not my own personal style of doing things I do (strangely enough) understand this particular mind set. That is their right to make those choices.

On the other hand many really enjoy their interactions with their companions. This part of the game if it continues as demonstrated for the last two years is indeed already a thing of the past. I personally think that this a bad idea. I do understand the logistics and $$$ behind the affair and as a retired purchasing director can appreciate a part of the decision making process ... but I also see the other side of the cause / affect equation and believe that there should be other alternatives to look at and solve the equation with a balance that would be more equitable for everyone ( including the board of directors and share holders at EA).

** As a part of "dead companions" mentioned earlier is the matter of who is still alive. Again, regardless of what reason and HOW we got here (frustrations aside) the simple fact is ... this is where we are at. And even now there is a thread requesting to have the ability to do away with Lana Beniko.

I must confess I was sadly disappointed when at the conclusion of Echoes of Oblivion instead of seeing Kira ... who's face did I see ... Lana! IMO the writers missed a golden opportunity and frankly messed up !! Lana was still on Odessen ?? Well .... That went well !!! (NOT !!)

That said the fate of Lana is still yet to come. That is not what this thread is about (there is one that is still active for that discussion). BUT it is, however, an opportunity to demonstrate as to HOW we got to where we are with what companions we have that still remain (for any number of reasons).

** Future companions. Yes we need some !! We also need some of the old ones to return ??

Two points to ponder (one of which is that of OP).

A). New companions also bring a certain "freshness to the game". It does without question add new depth to the content. Yet the simple undeniable fact is that we all come from different backgrounds in RL and consequently see the same character differently. Even still ... we need that "freshness" to the game.

OH ... just a foot note here: visiting companions. Someone needs to sort out just how much these new "visiting" companions dominate what is happening. IMO .. if they are visiting companions while they are a part of the story they shouldn't be who we are forced to deal with to the point where we don't even interact with our normal companions. JUS is an example of where this clearly was a bad idea. The overall story was written where everyone was left behind ... thereby forcing the entire episode to focus on one person. Not good !!

All of that said .. new companions at the expense of all of the old ?? Freshness added to the game should not destroy the long term relations that many players have build throughout the duration of this game. Many feel very strongly about that sort of thing. It's not my position to determine a right or wrongness of their attachments. It is there. Ignoring that would indeed be a mistake.

B). New companions for a "fresh start". Why?? Well simply stated there are so many that have been written out of the game (for one reason or another). Theron Shan is a primary example of this. Although I have personally kept Theron on as a part of the team ... many have not. There are several others in this same state of affairs. Properly reconciling this has to be a writers nightmare !!!

IMO this is why OP has came to his conclusion with the question: is it time to start over with some new ones and perhaps NOT make the same mistakes ?

In a perfect world I would love to simply add some new ones to a very limited list of those we have now which might include the following:

** Kira Carsen (my overall favorite)

** Theron Shan

** Vette (overall disposition is just fun)

** HK-55 ( +1 to kill counter !! )

** Gault

** Lana Beniko (has to be one of the most faithful in the entire game)

** Lord Scourge ( for those who like him .. )

Sorry just more or less my personal favorites (with the exception of Lord Scourge ) ... I am aware that there are so many more.

In a perfect world we would be having a LOT more fun with our companions that what we are. There would also be more customizations available as well (hair styles and the like).

BUT ... if all of that remains as it is ... DEAD !!! Would it be better to have 5 new ones ??

OP has an interesting point to be pondered !!

You really lost me at the part that I bolded above. Simply put, Quinn deserved to die in the vanilla game's story. Sorry that he was the crutch healer for players, and a potential LI, which, according to one of the posts you cited here as having valid points, means that he should never have a kill option. Not only should he have had one, it should have been right there, where his "plot twist" happens. IIRC, there was one, in the betas? It was removed because "but my healer", wasn't it?

But no, 5 new ones won't replace what was built up in the vanilla game, where applicable, or over the course of the Revan arc into the expansions. Especially if it's going to go the way previous examples have gone, even before SoR. Why add more to just summarily ignore after a bit of spice?

I personally did not kill Quinn. I feel in games like this, killing the interesting companions, only the player loses out. I remember first playing the Inquisitor class, I wanted so bad to kill Harkun, but then the game progressed, you meet up with him again, and you kinda get to see his perspective on things, and you start to think despite him being a dick, maybe you were a little pompous *** before.

I don't agree that LI status isn't a valid point, it is. It's a huge part of this game, and plays a huge part in player investment. But it's a very valid point especially given the few options people have. For example the few popular LI's that could be romanced by both genders, should never have been touched.

5 newer companions could certainly replace what was lost, and they've done it before, when they booted our original companions to introduce Theron, Lana and co. Create new characters, give them depth, make them likable, put effort into the story, and you have a substantial group of new comps. The main issue here is, do they have the funds to even do that, short answer, probably no. I don't think this game will ever get that big of expansions that it did then.

Edited by vallixas

You really lost me at the part that I bolded above. Simply put, Quinn deserved to die in the vanilla game's story. Sorry that he was the crutch healer for players, and a potential LI, which, according to one of the posts you cited here as having valid points, means that he should never have a kill option. Not only should he have had one, it should have been right there, where his "plot twist" happens. IIRC, there was one, in the betas? It was removed because "but my healer", wasn't it?

But no, 5 new ones won't replace what was built up in the vanilla game, where applicable, or over the course of the Revan arc into the expansions. Especially if it's going to go the way previous examples have gone, even before SoR. Why add more to just summarily ignore after a bit of spice?

Please believe me when I tell you that you are probably correct ( I haven't personally played that aspect of the game ). There are several that feel as though many choices were justified !! And when particularly viewed from the "dark side" many others would follow in similar lines of reasoning ... Theron Shan could also be seen in that light (from a certain stand point of view). Dark side players do have that characteristic to "dispense" of anyone whom they so desire as a result of:

** betrayal

** lack of trust

** done using the resource of that character (dark side characters often use others around them and dispense with them when they're finished).

As well it should be noted that the differing points of view on LI's and companions is one of the things that continues to add to the complex equation of who do we keep ? Who is dead ( and thereby shouldn't keep) ... as well as who do we want to GET RID of !!

To which some players are asking ... why not just start out with some fresh one ?? IF there were some new ones added .. I personally have 6 (or was it 7) alts that are unattached to anyone. I can definitely see the possibilities IF a NEW female companion with a better personality came along !! That might prove interesting !!

[/snip]

5 newer companions could certainly replace what was lost, and they've done it before, when they booted our original companions to introduce Theron, Lana and co. Create new characters, give them depth, make them likable, put effort into the story, and you have a substantial group of new comps. The main issue here is, do they have the funds to even do that, short answer, probably no. I don't think this game will ever get that big of expansions that it did then.

I agree .. the continuous demonstration of a lack of resources available to be invested into the game will PROBABLY prohibit the addition of 5 new companions (let alone the current use of a LARGER number of current companions that are already available ).

Edited by OlBuzzard

Holy crap, you made me forget all about HK (you can't blame me, they dusted him so fast), he was one of the best new comers, and they got rid of him so fast to replace him with Scorpio. You just highlighted the main problem, it's not so much that they killed too many companions (I mean they did), it's moreso they killed off some of the better personalities on the team. In a perfect world, none of the characters in your list should have been touched with a death option.

Theron faired a little better than most. Due to his popularity and existence throughout much of the expansions. He still shows up after frequently, usually whenever Lana does as well, I appreciated his inclusion in echoes of oblivion, and they're atleast TRYING to keep up the lana/theron dynamic that they had pre-nathema, but it still just seems.....off.

Ultimately, I think they realize the Theron choice was a big oppsie, they've been trying to remedy that choice and make it up to the fanbase by keeping Theron almost as active as Lana in the newer stuff. But it's like if you were going to do that, you shouldn't have had the death choice in the first place.

Sorry I missed this earlier ... and yes .. I agree !!

Please believe me when I tell you that you are probably correct ( I haven't personally played that aspect of the game ). There are several that feel as though many choices were justified !! And when particularly viewed from the "dark side" many others would follow in similar lines of reasoning ... Theron Shan could also be seen in that light (from a certain stand point of view). Dark side players do have that characteristic to "dispense" of anyone whom they so desire as a result of:

** betrayal

** lack of trust

** done using the resource of that character (dark side characters often use others around them and dispense with them when they're finished).

As well it should be noted that the differing points of view on LI's and companions is one of the things that continues to add to the complex equation of who do we keep ? Who is dead ( and thereby shouldn't keep) ... as well as who do we want to GET RID of !!

To which some players are asking ... why not just start out with some fresh one ?? IF there were some new ones added .. I personally have 6 (or was it 7) alts that are unattached to anyone. I can definitely see the possibilities IF a NEW female companion with a better personality came along !! That might prove interesting !!

History. They'll be "the next big thing", for a while, and then go on the same shelf as the rest of them. Spend that money instead on revitalizing the ones we have already. Vette's VA goes all the way back to KotoR, Mission Vao, so instead of writing her off for one of five new choices, revitalize Vette. Barring how long they've been around, the same could be said for the others, and would be a much better use of time and money, as far as I'm concerned.

This doesn't prevent them adding new ones down the line, of course, since new NPCs are part of new content, for those like you, that are unattached, but instead of just trashing what we have, which is largely already a thing, bring it back.

History. They'll be "the next big thing", for a while, and then go on the same shelf as the rest of them. Spend that money instead on revitalizing the ones we have already. Vette's VA goes all the way back to KotoR, Mission Vao, so instead of writing her off for one of five new choices, revitalize Vette. Barring how long they've been around, the same could be said for the others, and would be a much better use of time and money, as far as I'm concerned.

This doesn't prevent them adding new ones down the line, of course, since new NPCs are part of new content, for those like you, that are unattached, but instead of just trashing what we have, which is largely already a thing, bring it back.

The next new thing !! I agree ! It's kind of how "Hollywood" does things !! ;) I don't personally. (Married 46 years now).

As we mentioned earlier ... "perfect world" ... I would keep some of the past . (Trying to make a determination as to which ones ... ugh !! That might be an issue for some folks). Vette would be one mine !

OH .. BTW ... here's just a sample of what we are doing other wise :

** 3 JK that are all close to Kira !! ;)

** I really did not like the personality of Elara that well (please note ... many DO like her) sooo of the 3 troopers I play two of them like Lana Beniko ... the other is deliberately unattached (just in case there are new developments later on in the game).

** ALL of my smugglers are still "foot loose and fancy free" ... or they like Lana !

Sooo ... the idea of 5 new companions ?? Not bad really. How they are introduced and what is to become of the rest. That is a very interesting question. And I think that OP has posed a good question. At the least it is something worthy of civil discussion ! (Please note: discussion thus far has IMO been very civil ... and I appreciate that !!)

Reality ... probably nothing will become of any of them. Oh there might be a brief 45 second to 1-1/2 minute dialogue with one companion (from the whole list that is out there). Well, MAYBE !! But right now ... I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it !! ;)

Edited by OlBuzzard

The next new thing !! I agree ! It's kind of how "Hollywood" does things !! ;) I don't personally. (Married 46 years now).

As we mentioned earlier ... "perfect world" ... I would keep some of the past . (Trying to make a determination as to which ones ... ugh !! That might be an issue for some folks). Vette would be one mine !

OH .. BTW ... here's just a sample of what we are doing other wise :

** 3 JK that are all close to Kira !! ;)

** I really did not like the personality of Elara that well (please note ... many DO like her) sooo of the 3 troopers I play two of them like Lana Beniko ... the other is deliberately unattached (just in case there are new developments later on in the game).

** ALL of my smugglers are still "foot loose and fancy free" ... or they like Lana !

Sooo ... the idea of 5 new companions ?? Not bad really. How they are introduced and what is to become of the rest. That is a very interesting question. And I think that OP has posed a good question. At the least it is something worthy of civil discussion ! (Please note: discussion thus far has IMO been very civil ... and I appreciate that !!)

Reality ... probably nothing will become of any of them. Oh there might be a brief 45 second to 1-1/2 minute dialogue with one companion (from the whole list that is out there). Well, MAYBE !! But right now ... I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it !! ;)

Ideally, they'd have something for all of them. The thing about writing for choices is that you actually have to write for choices. While the Vette/Torian thing was supposed to come off as swtor's Virmire, Mass Effect 1's Ash or Kaiden must die scenario, it just came off as forced, considering the forces we have available. At least on Virmire we could attribute it to "there's only one Normandy to fly rescue missions". However, even post that, there should be content written for both, since only one or the other dies. This makes it available to everyone, no matter what you chose, and completely eliminates the need for "but which one".

If I thoroughly believed they would do this, which I don't, I'd rather see that time and money invested in the Vanilla comps, and SoR's crew too. I didn't think this crew distribution thing was going to be a good idea when they first took the comps, and as we can see, it's really biting them in the butt now. At cap, I need maybe 9 comps total, 8 for crafting/gathering missions, and one to use while that's going on. Everyone else is unnecessary. So you can see where I might think that adding even more really doesn't do much for what's trying to be addressed, it just adds more fuel to the fire when, at the end of the day, any new comps get the same treatment.

Ideally, they'd have something for all of them. The thing about writing for choices is that you actually have to write for choices. While the Vette/Torian thing was supposed to come off as swtor's Virmire, Mass Effect 1's Ash or Kaiden must die scenario, it just came off as forced, considering the forces we have available. At least on Virmire we could attribute it to "there's only one Normandy to fly rescue missions". However, even post that, there should be content written for both, since only one or the other dies. This makes it available to everyone, no matter what you chose, and completely eliminates the need for "but which one".

If I thoroughly believed they would do this, which I don't, I'd rather see that time and money invested in the Vanilla comps, and SoR's crew too. I didn't think this crew distribution thing was going to be a good idea when they first took the comps, and as we can see, it's really biting them in the butt now. At cap, I need maybe 9 comps total, 8 for crafting/gathering missions, and one to use while that's going on. Everyone else is unnecessary. So you can see where I might think that adding even more really doesn't do much for what's trying to be addressed, it just adds more fuel to the fire when, at the end of the day, any new comps get the same treatment.

If everyone just wanted the "vanilla comps". Some of us don't like many (in some cases MOST) of the vanilla comps. A lot of that depends on the character. The smuggler ... and the commando (both light side) are two example for me personally. Just basic personality conflicts I guess .. but just the same. That's one of the reasons that some might welcome the opportunity for new companions !!

At the end of the day... it's really difficult to suggest as the best direction to go. New ideas and (in this case) new companions are always a possibility.

I'm glad that OP opened up the thread !! It's good to discuss these things !

If everyone just wanted the "vanilla comps". Some of us don't like many (in some cases MOST) of the vanilla comps. A lot of that depends on the character. The smuggler ... and the commando (both light side) are two example for me personally. Just basic personality conflicts I guess .. but just the same. That's one of the reasons that some might welcome the opportunity for new companions !!

At the end of the day... it's really difficult to suggest as the best direction to go. New ideas and (in this case) new companions are always a possibility.

I'm glad that OP opened up the thread !! It's good to discuss these things !

I touched on that a bit upthread, since new NPCs do come with new content. If, however, it's just going to be more of the same, is it really worth the time? I understand "but I'll finally get a romance, maybe" comment, but we see how well those pan out, and frankly, some of them went better than I thought they would. They're still on the shelf, as it were, and I can also understand why. There are story beats where the comp may not be back yet. They could be dead, of course, but that only really applies to what, 4 of them, Quinn, Kailyo, Theron, Vette or Torian, and we're still not getting interaction. Following the OP's suggestion just compounds the problem with 5 new characters in the mix.

I touched on that a bit upthread, since new NPCs do come with new content. If, however, it's just going to be more of the same, is it really worth the time? I understand "but I'll finally get a romance, maybe" comment, but we see how well those pan out, and frankly, some of them went better than I thought they would. They're still on the shelf, as it were, and I can also understand why. There are story beats where the comp may not be back yet. They could be dead, of course, but that only really applies to what, 4 of them, Quinn, Kailyo, Theron, Vette or Torian, and we're still not getting interaction. Following the OP's suggestion just compounds the problem with 5 new characters in the mix.

There are also Jorgan, Koth and Arcann, plus Senya (if you also count non LIs here)

That's just it ... we're not getting any interaction from any of them. IMO (as mentioned earlier) companions are pretty much dead. Aside from a brief appearance in the story lines ... there's nothing !! Zippo !!!

Companions need revival !!

Don't get me wrong I would love it to have meaningful and a good amount of companion reaction, with old companions. However besides 1 minute alliance alerts, BW doesn't want to do that with the killable ones, and I feel there are far to many romance companions for BW or an company, to do meaningfully imo. That's why I suggest news ones, because I love companion interactions

I personally did not kill Quinn. I feel in games like this, killing the interesting companions, only the player loses out.

Yeah I agree, I know people wanted to kill quinn, but the problem is BW doesn't really do with anything with them after. Also in my opinion, I do think the have the resources to do five new companions that interact with the story, I think it is possible.

Edited by commanderwar

Also in my opinion, I do think the have the resources to do five new companions that interact with the story, I think it is possible.

If that were the case though, I'd prefer them to pick 4-5 different current LI/Comps per patch or story update, on a rotation type basis, and put those resources toward them than to focus on a new set.

Edited by JennyFlynn