Need help with Head-canon. SPOILERS AHEAD.

Kaskitt

After completing the quest on the IA storyline on Voss about The Shining Man. I became interested in the parts of his holorecording where he mentions that he was on Voss to try and learn how to shield himself from the force. I know that force sensitives have this ability to some degree as far as being able to make it harder to become force mind tricked, or even have some kind of force shield around them to make it harder to become choked/shocked and such. I am interested in weather or not The Shining Man is either perhaps a bit force sensitive and able to do this, or maybe he went to the Voss to learn some kind of ability or aquire some kind of relic/technology to shield himself from the force altogether along with the rest of the star cabal. I would like to understand more about this for my own headcanon on my agent and perhaps smuggler as to why they would be able to take down not only your average force user but also refuse Valkorion's control of him and also be quite capable to kill him. Maybe become completely immune to all force attacks.

Not much is mentioned in this cutscene and I am wondering if this is something that can be done, or has been done before,

I always just assumed it came down to willpower, at least that's how Valkorion always worded it. Our character just has a strong psychological fortitude?

I'm not huge on lore but the way the force is explained by some jedi, that the force are in all living things, even those that cannot wield the force conciously, always made me think that anyone could potentially learn to resist force abilities, at least a bit.

For example, maybe you can't stop someone from choking you but you could retain enough concentration to aim a blaster and disrupt the opponent's attack.

Force Users are "strong in the Force". It allows them to use unnatural and sometime insanely powerful abilities.

BUT !

This has nothing to do with the strength of one's mind. It is said that people with a strong willpower cannot be affected by mind tricks and mind control. The best exemple is in Clone Wars, when two Jedi Masters and the Chosen One group together to mind control Cade Bane, who resist to the point of nearly dying from exhaustion... Cade Bane is not Force Sensitive and has never been stated or noted to be even a little bit strong in the Force.

Valkorion's mind control suffer the same weakness : it is stated that he specifically uses means to lower your willpower :

- By accepting his powers, you accept his influence.

- By making you absorb the life force of those close to him, he strengthen his own connexion to you.

- Even with all that, he still must win a battle in the center of the mind to take control.

Furthermore, not being Force Sensitive does not mean you are defenseless against Force Users. Sure, Force users can resist to Force powers with their own, but that defense isn't absolute or even reliable in itself. There's a lot of way to fight a Force User without using the Force yourself...

Kotor 2 gives us two exemple :

First is when HK-47 teaches you how to fight a Jedi... what weapon to use and how to severe their connexion to the Force. The second is your battle against Dark Sion, who is litteraly invincible thanks to the Force... and the only way to beat him is to convince him to abandon his rage.

In my opinion, sufficiantly smart people can beat Force Users, even strong ones.

Edited by Myrmicus

Along with that, 2 of my favorite dialogues are with the BH.

1. the scene where the BH confronts the Jedi at the end of Chapter 1 where the Jedi attempt to use a mind trick on her, and she responds (I can wave my hands too).

and where the Jedi tries again, and remarks on our Character as having more mental discipline than our nemesis in the chapter 1 story, who they had managed to imprison in the brig.

So our characters CAN resist the force to a certain extent, even when they are not force sensitive themselves.

Along with that, 2 of my favorite dialogues are with the BH.

1. the scene where the BH confronts the Jedi at the end of Chapter 1 where the Jedi attempt to use a mind trick on her, and she responds (I can wave my hands too).

and where the Jedi tries again, and remarks on our Character as having more mental discipline than our nemesis in the chapter 1 story, who they had managed to imprison in the brig.

So our characters CAN resist the force to a certain extent, even when they are not force sensitive themselves.

There's a similar scene with the Smuggler on Tatooine;

Depending on your choices, either Jedi Nariel or Sith Zare (or both) will attempt to use the mind-trick and the Smuggler has the dialogue option to tell them to stop waving their hands, they look ridiculous. Zare observes that the smuggler is strong-willed, making them of no use to her.