The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

"Outfit Customizer"

arunav

A new system that lets players take off portions of armors, similar to what developers have access to when designing NPCs, for CCs or credits would be a very welcome addition.

Currently, for both in-game and CM armor, there are often hoods, backpacks, shoulder attachments, and other additions to armors that players would like to remove but can't.

I thought a player driven system for armor design, similar to how Strongholds was implemented for environments, could be made.

This would allow players to truly customize their characters' appearances to their liking, as many (most?) armor sets have attachments that people would rather remove or change, if given the option.

This would also make up for the lack of a hood toggle, to a great extent, depending on how it is implemented. For example, the hood-down version of a chest might be available as one of several customization options, especially for CM armor where we see NPCs with the hood-down versions in different areas of the game.

Anyway, I recognize this isn't a small undertaking, but it could be a profitable one that players also would welcome, like Strongholds.

If not possible, making variants available of CM armor sets for a CC price would be welcome, at the very least. Especially if players have already unlocked them in Collections, maybe we could spent a small about of coins for variation on the armor.

An example of this is the Enigmatic Hero set, and the simpler, frankly nicer version Nadia Grell wears in the Ossus update, when the companion returns. Her version is hood-down, and has some extra additions to the armor removed.

There are many other examples, some of them much more extreme in difference, that could be proposed. My main suggestion is players be given some agency over what additions/extra pieces are kept on an armor set or not.

Edited by arunav

Yeah. That is NEVER going to happen. You are essentially asking for a dev tool to go out to the masses. should that happen it would be a complete disaster software-wise. Besides, if they haven't given us a "hood-down" button by this point, what makes you think they are willing to put all this in place? Hell, the newest Jedi armor comes with two chest pieces, one with the hood up and one with the hood down. All because making a "toggle hood" button is either impossible with current game tech (unlikely) or they are just unwilling to spend the resources to make it (the more likely option)

Yeah. That is NEVER going to happen. You are essentially asking for a dev tool to go out to the masses. should that happen it would be a complete disaster software-wise.

Not necessarily. If it's just a little panel per armour piece that has checkboxes for which accessories (hood, butt-cape, cloak, dangly strands, etc.) are visible, the problems you're thinking of won't happen. (There would be other problems, mostly related to rendering performance, but those can be mitigated in various ways.)

Besides, if they haven't given us a "hood-down" button by this point, what makes you think they are willing to put all this in place?

I don't have a [citation needed] for you, but BioWare said long ago that a hood-down button wasn't going to ever happen, while a "hide hood" button might. The game is already capable of hiding raised hoods - many helmets and other head armour do it, as do Twi'lek and Togruta characters - so it's "only" a case of changing the condition for hiding or showing the hood. (There's an unguessable amount of weirdness living in those quotes around 'only', of course.)

Hell, the newest Jedi armor comes with two chest pieces, one with the hood up and one with the hood down. All because making a "toggle hood" button is either impossible with current game tech (unlikely) or they are just unwilling to spend the resources to make it (the more likely option)

There's a separate debate about the price of going through every existing armour in the game that has an up or down hood and adding hideable meshes / textures for the missing state so that an up/down button can work. (And a separate oddity around wearing a "hides hood" helmet with the "down" state activated. Should it hide the downed hood?.)

I feel I should remind the general readership that I've been a software developer (but not of games) for more than thirty years. I know a thing or two about the realities of software development.

Yeah. That is NEVER going to happen. You are essentially asking for a dev tool to go out to the masses. should that happen it would be a complete disaster software-wise. Besides, if they haven't given us a "hood-down" button by this point, what makes you think they are willing to put all this in place? Hell, the newest Jedi armor comes with two chest pieces, one with the hood up and one with the hood down. All because making a "toggle hood" button is either impossible with current game tech (unlikely) or they are just unwilling to spend the resources to make it (the more likely option)

Just like player housing where individuals designed their own environments using game assets, based on a system developers use to design in-game areas?

I don't think you know if it's possible or not, or if it's practical or not, or how profitable it's likely to be or not.

Since this is a suggestion area of the forum, I made a suggestion that most players I know would welcome.

Edited by arunav

Just like player housing where individuals designed their own environments using game assets, based on a system developers use to design in-game areas?

I don't think you know if it's possible or not, or if it's practical or not, or how profitable it's likely to be or not.

Since this is a suggestion area of the forum, I made a suggestion that most players I know would welcome.

It would be welcome, we all know we've outfits that we'd love to add to or take stuff away, that sort of customisation would be awesome. Unfortunately I don't know if it would be possible, but I'm 100% behind getting it if it is :)

Steve is correct in that this would be quite doable

Many (most?) armour sets come with a number of attachments along with the core model. Simplistically, these attachments could be hidden, or replaced with an empty model with relatively little fuss. This is already possible in fact, though to do so would be against the rules as it would require you to modify game files.

Now all indications are that SWTOR is a mass of spaghetti code so this is probably a lot harder than it needs to be, but it is far from impossible.

All in all, I think it is a good idea, and it would increase demand on the CM, as there are many sets that have just that one ugly bit that turns them off that they would now buy, so win for BW too

All in all, I think it is a good idea, and it would increase demand on the CM, as there are many sets that have just that one ugly bit that turns them off that they would now buy, so win for BW too

Agreed, we've seen it here, and in game, people complaining about this part or that. If they could sort out the mess of the code, and work through it to give us this, it would be great. And chances are, with more choice how to adapt the armour, they might sell more

I dont think there's much more they can actually do that you're asking for. The Reason, the Game is a combination of two gaming engines they took the Hero engine and I dont remember what other engine they used. That being said the game was originally in development with the Hero Engine iirc.

One of the original leads, that of course doesnt work for EA or BW any longer of for a long time, answered a bunch of these question about 4-5 years ago in an interview. Dont ask me with whom cause I dont remember.

You might be able to find his interview somewhere I dont know.

• 2 months later...