The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

MODDABLE "orange" quality gear ONLY for levels 1-49, very disapointed :-(

Rheemus

The only solution here is to come up with a system that keeps groups from just farming the first raid boss or two, while also not making players feel like they are being force to wear something they dont like the look of.

I present the following:

Location limited Mods:

These mods work just like normal mods, except they only can be slotted in the armor type listed on them. IE: Boots only, Chest only, gloves only, etc.

Now that we have these new raid dropped high quality mods, here is how raid boss loot would work.

Bosses would drop 2 types of items.

- 1 or 2 Moddable, but empty, armor set pieces (these would have no mods on them, but be fully moddable. Players wouldnt be forced to use them if they didnt like the look, but would still randomly drop for those who DID want to slot them and wear them

and

- X number of my suggested new "location limited Mods". Each specific boss in a raid would drop a specific location type mod. IE: The first boss would drop mods that would ONLY work in say, boots. The 2nd boss would drop these high quality raid mods that would only work in gloves. The third dropped chest mods, etc etc etc.

This would insure that players would want to kill ALL raid bosses to get mods for ALL the armor parts (and weapons). Simply farming the first raid boss would get you a bunch of mods that only worked in boots. What good would these really do? Its not that practical, and players would still want to kill the other raid bosses for mods to put in the rest of their gear.

There you have it. Players get to wear what they want, mod them how they want, and Bioware is happy because players arent only farming the first raid boss and nothing else. Raid mods still end up being higher quality than craftable mods, and normal loot drops, giving successful raiders a sense of accomplishment and advancement, while not forcing them to look ugly in something they dont want to wear.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can easily obtain your epic tier gear and transfer the mods from them to whatever piece of gear you want to wear (and have the same stats). I know this because I have done it. Sure, the mods take about 30k a piece to pick out but it's the price you have to pay if you want to look a different way than intended.

I know that i will refuse to wear any of the artifact gear sets, they looks so horrible and must have been designed by someone on a bad day or someone who does not know anything about star wars as they don't fit into the universe at all. I thought the whole point of modable gear was that we could choose how we want to look no matter what loot we get.

*rolls eyes* Why did they waste money and time on a system to give people a chance to wear what they want too only to gimp it in the end? Would hnave cost less to do an A tab then.

I mean I thought the mod gear was a great idea and somehting way new for MMOs. Could ahve even been a selling point for the game. Well not if you can't raid for your mods eh?

Way to go Bioware.

Look simple fix is this. (To keep people from farming first boss and adding those mods to all gear.)

raid chest heavy armor mods can only be used in orange heavy armor chest piece. All drops BOP.

What's so hard about this?

go to a mod station with a piece of orange gear and a piece of epic gear of the same type... chest, gloves, whatever... press mod button... create new item with the stats of the epic gear and the appearance of the orange gear. done.

HAHAHAHA!!! That's even easier than what I posted. Bioware hire this guy!

You can easily obtain your epic tier gear and transfer the mods from them to whatever piece of gear you want to wear (and have the same stats). I know this because I have done it. Sure, the mods take about 30k a piece to pick out but it's the price you have to pay if you want to look a different way than intended.

Okay, so what's the deal here ? We got two different stories going on now. One side yes you cannot take the mods out of raid gear. yet you said you can but it cost a lot.

So can we, or cannot we?

Now if we cannot take them out I have to go with what Belbullab said. What he said is just KISS. Keep it simple stupid.

Originally Posted by Belbullab

go to a mod station with a piece of orange gear and a piece of epic gear of the same type... chest, gloves, whatever... press mod button... create new item with the stats of the epic gear and the appearance of the orange gear. done.

Edited by IHIavok

Okay, so what's the deal here ? We got two different stories going on now. One side yes you cannot take the mods out of raid gear. yet you said you can but it cost a lot.

So can we, or cannot we?

you can only take out 2 mods.

the mod. and the enchantment, the armoring mod (which gives you the armor rating and expertise if you have a pvp epic) is locked which means that orange gear and weapons are always worse then the epic ones. the mods also do not drop in any raid i was.

HAHAHAHA!!! That's even easier than what I posted. Bioware hire this guy!

Thats exactly what transmog is in WoW. I know there's a lot of WoW haters here but sometimes Blizz does hit it on the head.

Personally I'd like to see something different. I think they should just do away with End-Game Epic gear all together (well, moddable gear anyway) and just have Epic Mods that you get from Bosses.

Either way, I think this is a temporary problem. I can't imagine BW letting all that Orange gear go to waste. I'm saving all my oranges just in case and I recommend others to do so as well.

Edited by Darkulous

you can only take out 2 mods.

the mod. and the enchantment, the armoring mod (which gives you the armor rating and expertise if you have a pvp epic) is locked which means that orange gear and weapons are always worse then the epic ones. the mods also do not drop in any raid i was.

This is not entirely accurate. Raid tier gear only has 2 mods in it: enh and mod. For t2 (columni) it costs 27k per thing you take out. You can take out both of these and get lvl 23 armoring from daily commendations. The armor difference is about 50. I have 8k armor...50 is not enough to matter when you are tanking in raids (which I do).

Using that above system you can wear whatever you want for a minimal armor loss (aka doesn't matter even as a tank).

This is not entirely accurate. Raid tier gear only has 2 mods in it: enh and mod. For t2 (columni) it costs 27k per thing you take out. You can take out both of these and get lvl 23 armoring from daily commendations. The armor difference is about 50. I have 8k armor...50 is not enough to matter when you are tanking in raids (which I do).

Using that above system you can wear whatever you want for a minimal armor loss (aka doesn't matter even as a tank).

its not just the armorrating its the expertise that is in the armor mod which means alot.

also the champ or columi epic armoring mods have way higher stats then the currently available armoring mods you can get from the dailys

unsure if proposed before, didnt want to read 40+pages, but wont this work:

have an new color mod that add's beside the stats of the item also a part of the set bonus.

For each set piece (chest/head etc) they divide in 3 (enchanment/mod/armour) mod's

Get all 3 matching mod's to get the setpiece bonus.

Dive all current setbonus per piece in 3 mods (ea: chestbonus for BH-healer) you need all 3 chest mods to get the actual BH-healer setpart to work.

You can still place the chest bonus inside a leg if you want. (or only chest if really preferred by bioware or my idea can't work, haven't raided yet)

or remove the chest part and name it 1 (lame name I admit)

but if you place all 3 1's inside a leg piece you get the leg bonus, in a chest you get chest bonus.

if you already used BH-healer 1, you can't used it again, you need to complete an other number to get a new effect.

I think the same boss should also drop 1-3 random modpiece's to allow modding, but you still are not allowed to remove the mod's from the current set's. (aka beside the current drops).

This way you still need to kill "all" bosses but also gives people customize options.

Mod's are BOP and still can't get removed, since getting a full set in your own preferred gear will get to easy.

I hope this is understandable.

unsure if proposed before, didnt want to read 40+pages, but wont this work:

have an new color mod that add's beside the stats of the item also a part of the set bonus.

For each set piece (chest/head etc) they divide in 3 (enchanment/mod/armour) mod's

Get all 3 matching mod's to get the setpiece bonus.

Dive all current setbonus per piece in 3 mods (ea: chestbonus for BH-healer) you need all 3 chest mods to get the actual BH-healer setpart to work.

You can still place the chest bonus inside a leg if you want. (or only chest if really preferred by bioware or my idea can't work, haven't raided yet)

or remove the chest part and name it 1 (lame name I admit)

but if you place all 3 1's inside a leg piece you get the leg bonus, in a chest you get chest bonus.

if you already used BH-healer 1, you can't used it again, you need to complete an other number to get a new effect.

I think the same boss should also drop 1-3 random modpiece's to allow modding, but you still are not allowed to remove the mod's from the current set's. (aka beside the current drops).

This way you still need to kill "all" bosses but also gives people customize options.

Mod's are BOP and still can't get removed, since getting a full set in your own preferred gear will get to easy.

I hope this is understandable.

That's kinda what I was saying to in my post. Basically, instead of Epic gear, you have Epic mods.

its not just the armorrating its the expertise that is in the armor mod which means alot.

also the champ or columi epic armoring mods have way higher stats then the currently available armoring mods you can get from the dailys

Again, the stats are not very different. Here is the proof. I can't speak to pvp gear.

http://i.imgur.com/wHBPj.jpg

As you can see there is only a differential of 60 armor and that is not even the best available armoring mod. I have 8k total armor. It is negligible.

Edited by Taalon

Again, the stats are not very different. Here is the proof. I can't speak to pvp gear.

http://i.imgur.com/wHBPj.jpg

As you can see there is only a differential of 60 armor and that is not even the best available armoring mod. I have 8k total armor. It is negligible.

you have to remember there are set bonuses which greatly out perform the small stat differences.

Yes as mentioned by Emmanuel Lusinchi - Associate Lead Designer

http://www.swtor.com/blog/some-clarifications-item-modifications

The reason you can't alter the armour stat of epic level 50 gear is to support the idea of doing operations for gear to gain the ultimate and best items (e.g. chest item). Due to them having a higher armour rating (and more importantly set bonuses) than any moddable item it gives a purpose to aim for them, although their appearance may not be favoured by some and therefore you can just keep and upgrade orange gear to a degree.

If the difference isn't that big and you prefer your orange items then do operations for fun and for the mods which 'can' be removed to place into your orange items.

Edited by Ayrdor

as said there are also epic mods, im pretty sure you can boost modable gear to something extremely strong. other vice the whole modable gear thing would make no sense anymore. The reason they did it was so players can have diffrent looks!...

you have to remember there are set bonuses which greatly out perform the small stat differences.

As you can see, I already have my 4pc, not including the helm. You can basically get away with wearing one piece of orange without damaging your stats or bonuses.

As you can see, I already have my 4pc, not including the helm. You can basically get away with wearing one piece of orange without damaging your stats or bonuses.

I keep trying to get people to understand this.

Wear any orange robe you can find, hide your headgear and the only thing you are a clone in is your gloves, boots and legs and you retain your set bonus. If they give us back the color matching as they have been talking about, you can make those all match based on the color of a robe of your choosing. It also means you can avoid all the ugly shoulderpads and hats people keep whining about. It also looks like the stat fall-off will be statistically negligible.

Amazing how small an issue this really is once you start looking it's facts in detail.

Yes as mentioned by Emmanuel Lusinchi - Associate Lead Designer

http://www.swtor.com/blog/some-clarifications-item-modifications

The reason you can't alter the armour stat of epic level 50 gear is to support the idea of doing operations for gear to gain the ultimate and best items (e.g. chest item). Due to them having a higher armour rating (and more importantly set bonuses) than any moddable item it gives a purpose to aim for them, although their appearance may not be favoured by some and therefore you can just keep and upgrade orange gear to a degree.

If the difference isn't that big and you prefer your orange items then do operations for fun and for the mods which 'can' be removed to place into your orange items.

I read it and I think his approach to encouraging and rewarding players who participate in high-end content has merit, but some of the rewards look like garbage. A simple solution is to make all artifact items moddable, and make their mods slot-specific.

The designers need to get over themselves and realize that not ever piece they create is worthy of being put into the game.

I have read suggestions that you can get by with a 4-set bonus by hiding the helm and using a moddable chest. However, that is a band-aid solution for some really awful looking armor especially the helms. The helm is one of the most iconic pieces to an armor set and having to hide it because the designer's interpretation greatly differs from my own is unacceptable.

This is an RPG and I don't want to RP that I am a Sith peacock.

Edited by G-Seven

I read it and I think his approach to encouraging and rewarding players who participate in high-end content has merit, but some of the rewards look like garbage. A simple solution is to make all artifact items moddable, and make their mods slot-specific.

The designers need to get over themselves and realize that not ever piece they create is worthy of being put into the game.

I have read suggestions that you can get by with a 4-set bonus by hiding the helm and using a moddable chest. However, that is a band-aid solution for some really awful looking armor especially the helms. The helm is one of the most iconic pieces to an armor set and having to hide it because the designer's interpretation greatly differs from my own is unacceptable.

This is an RPG and I don't want to RP that I am a Sith peacock.

Yeah, I wonder why IE. Malgus doesn't look like an Darth Aeroplane or Darth Peacock? I mean it would support the logic of the gear design afterall.

...Maybe it wasn't iconic.

C'mon BW, give us the a-tab.

Edited by Beansoup

To be honest, once you start getting gear sets you wont have the problem of looking goofy anymore. Though, if you just wear the gear you get through your questing you'll never really have the problem either. I'm not sure who the people who have clown suit problems are since from 1-50 I never encountered that problem. Maybe the BH armor is already matched better than other classes.

Just wanted to chime in and add that this bothers me as well. I'm already kind of annoyed by how expensive it is to remove purple mods from gear. The prospect of needing to break the orange set while raiding is an annoyance that doesn't really add anything to the gaming experience in my opinion, and not being able to get set bonuses through mods forces the raiding player to choose between looks and functionality - which defeats the purpose of having appearance customization options in the first place.

This game is really great in my opinion, but I will cancel my sub if this isn't fixed. Don't want to get invested in another six year wait.

Edited by Laiov

Wow i just learned this, and now i really dont wanna play my SI. I was going for a whole darth talon thing with a female SI in the dancer outfit. But now it seems that, it isnt worth it at 50. Thank god im in a guild where having fun matters and not min maxing stats. BW give us an appearence tab or unlock the mods from gear.

I keep trying to get people to understand this.

Wear any orange robe you can find, hide your headgear and the only thing you are a clone in is your gloves, boots and legs and you retain your set bonus. If they give us back the color matching as they have been talking about, you can make those all match based on the color of a robe of your choosing. It also means you can avoid all the ugly shoulderpads and hats people keep whining about. It also looks like the stat fall-off will be statistically negligible.

Amazing how small an issue this really is once you start looking it's facts in detail.

I forgot to read yout post, but this is what im gonna have to do. Imma have grind for good mods and enhancements, but thats a price ill pay for the way i want to look.