Help with crashes and PC reboots

Florrentius

i have cleaned my pc for dust and temps are okay.

was wondering if star parse was causing a crash maybe?

i do use all the time but maybe when i click raid and raid with other it would cause a crash?

Considering i only have game crashes during ops...

Will keep this in mind...

Turn off the combat log recording and leave Star parse off and see what happens.

i have cleaned my pc for dust and temps are okay.

was wondering if star parse was causing a crash maybe?

i do use all the time but maybe when i click raid and raid with other it would cause a crash?

Considering i only have game crashes during ops...

Will keep this in mind...

Try not using it during raids but I doubt it would make much of a difference. Still it could be the final straw that broke the camel's back.

If it is during raids though then the CPU does matter and 3 Ghz isn't a lot for this game... and since you're asking a lot of your graphics card with using high settings on that resolution I think it might be the combination of the two. There are a lot more combat animations to deal with in a raid after all and more data to manage in group content for the CPU.

My cpu is overclocked to 4ghz with 8 cores and i have 2 gtx 980 in sli

I run dxun on potato graphics and still got freezes and 1 crash

You should have lead with that. I’m nearly convinced you have a heat issue or power issue.

Have you stress tested your CPU? And when you do, what temps are you running at? How long have you run the stress test for? And does it crash? Also, what’s your OC power settings

I use Prime95 to stress test on maximum heat. If you stay under 77c for 12 hours and no crashes, then you’re stable and your system isn’t suffering heat stress.

Lastly, swtor isn’t optimised for SLi, try turning it off while playing.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I used intelburntest for strestest, everything should be the same as in march 2017.

I used the same pc to play at 1440p with sli and the same overclocks and played from 2014 till then flawlessly.

Either windows updates are screwing me or the game got more intense.

Maybe cpu degradation or gpu degradation after being 6 years old?

Eventho my gpu never gets over 40 degrees celsius

And my cpu under full load goes near 80 degrees celsius

The only thing i saw drom yesterdays game session is that as i freeze i saw a spike in windows task on the

Cpu and one of the gpu, some times just one of the gpu and sometimes cpu + both gpus

Edited by Florrentius

I used aida for strestest, everything should be the same as in march 2017.

I used the same pc to play at 1440p with sli and the same overclocks and played from 2014 till then flawlessly.

The only thing i saw drom yesterdays game session is that as i freeze i saw a spike in windows task on the

Cpu and one of the gpu, some times just one of the gpu and sometimes cpu + both gpus

How long do you stress test for?

Its possible a part in your system may be wearing under heat stress, poor optimisation or just getting old. Nothing lasts for ever. It could even be your PSU not delivering power properly, motherboard or ram.

The only way to know what’s happening is to test each part of your system.

Download prime95. Run it under max heat setting and if you can’t run it for 8 hours under 77c without it crashing you have an issue somewhere. (You shouldn’t run a system higher than 77c for that long). If you OC and can’t get your max temp under 77c, you need better cooling or you need to lower the power setttings or lower the clock.

I also use HWMonitor to monitor temps because it shows all your voltages and settings for your system.

When you OC, are you doing it manually or using the ASUS app to do it for you?

Edited by TrixxieTriss

The overclock is the same as it ever been since the beginning

I use hwi too, manual Conservative overclock 4.5, and now i lowered the multiplyer to 4 On my 5960x

Its not temps or dust. Maybe cpu or gpu just getting old i guess?

Weird that i can play other game fine tho...

And that this gamecrashes doesnt happen regularly only sporadic.

Even had a week without crashes...

Will try to play with one of the gpu and see if one of them are dying

Edited by Florrentius

The overclock is the same as it ever been since the beginning

I use hwi too, manual Conservative overclock 4.5, and now i lowered the multiplyer to 4 On my 5960x

Its not temps or dust. Maybe cpu or gpu just getting old i guess?

Weird that i can play other game fine tho...

And that this gamecrashes doesnt happen regularly only sporadic.

Even had a week without crashes...

Will try to play with one of the gpu and see if one of them are dying

Remember that swtor is more cpu intensive than GPU. Where as other games put more stress on the GPU. So that’s also a possibility. Honestly, it’s hard for me to determine the issue without having it on my work bench to test each part.

Here’s a really simple trouble shooting step you can do. Take out one of your GPUs and test. If it crashes again, move that same GPU in the system to the second pcie slot you had the other GPU in and test. If it still crashes, swap the PSU cable to the unused PSU cable from the second GPU.

If it still crashes, rinse and repeat after swapping out the GPU for the second one.

That step will help see if you have GPU, gpu-PSU or PCIe issue.

PSU’s are often overlooked as the problem. Inconsistent PSU power can start to happen due to dirty grid power (Surge protectors don’t stop this) or spikes from storms or grid outages. Just good old wear and tear and heat can degrade the PSU life. It’s one part of the pc I never skimp on.

You can also try running the system by swapping the ram modules in and out.

Sadly, if it’s your motherboard your outta luck cause it’s intel chipped.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I used intelburntest for strestest, everything should be the same as in march 2017.

I'm not 100% sure what stress test actually test, but it may not test what you think it does. You're running 1440p with high settings @144Hz, with a card that isn't meant to do that and you run operations/raids with a cpu that will have trouble with group content in general. The game definitely gets graphical updates so 6 years ago the game was different indeed. And pushing your graphics card like that could have degradation as an effect as well. The CPU the same. Ctrl + Shift + F shows you the actual FPS. That might be another interesting thing.

So I'm not saying that I'm sure it's that but there are definitely reasons to think that it might be that you've pushed your graphics card and possibly cpu with a game that has had multiple graphical updates over the years. Results in the past are not a guarantee for the present in other words.

Just started my pc up, 10mins later on potato graphics, lowest setting possible, i get a gamefreeze and i get a loading screen from swtor then im back.

My fps was 200 when entering the instance, during the fight it was around 70-80 fps

maybe my fps is too variable? whould i turn on gsync?

even on fleet it goes from 200 fps to 50ish

ive turned it down hoping it would improve stability

Edited by Florrentius

Just started my pc up, 10mins later on potato graphics, lowest setting possible, i get a gamefreeze and i get a loading screen from swtor then im back.

My fps was 200 when entering the instance, during the fight it was around 70-80 fps

As I've sometimes point out - perhaps even in this thread - you can have a "thermal fault" that only shows up when a components temperature changes. This is not the same as "overheating", but overheating can result in a thermal fault that continues after the overheating problem is fixed.

Typically, a thermal fault will be the result of a crack in a component, that expands when the item warms up, and loses connection. It could also be a 'bad' solder joint that is oxidized and/or badly done, that loses contact when the circuit board warms up.

Unfortunately, the main way to find a thermal fault is by replacing components. Not everyone has spare parts. 🙂

Dude, do some Trouble shooting

The fluctuation in fps is pretty normal in SWTOR. That's due to the poor optimization of the game.It would've been diffferent if it had been lower like 10 fps in the raid for example. The difference is still big but that's probably because you have a 3Ghz cpu. What instance are you referring to by the way?

What I suggest doing though is turn down the refresh rate of your monitor to 60Hz and use a 1080p resolution. That should be fine for your graphics card to handle and you can use that as a proper comparison. It's the resolution the card was meant to handle of you will, so the point is to test it to see if it works fine at what it should be able to handle.

Of course if you run a 1440p monitor setting it to 1080p isn't necessarily great so if you have a 1080p monitor that would be better probably.

This still could be down to different things but at least it will tell us something if you test it with the appropriate resolution and refresh rate. If the problem still persists then that raises different questions.

Edited by Tsillah

The fluctuation in fps is pretty normal in SWTOR. That's due to the poor optimization of the game.It would've been diffferent if it had been lower like 10 fps in the raid for example. The difference is still big but that's probably because you have a 3Ghz cpu. What instance are you referring to by the way?

What I suggest doing though is turn down the refresh rate of your monitor to 60Hz and use a 1080p resolution. That should be fine for your graphics card to handle and you can use that as a proper comparison. It's the resolution the card was meant to handle of you will, so the point is to test it to see if it works fine at what it should be able to handle.

Of course if you run a 1440p monitor setting it to 1080p isn't necessarily great so if you have a 1080p monitor that would be better probably.

This still could be down to different things but at least it will tell us something if you test it with the appropriate resolution and refresh rate. If the problem still persists then that raises different questions.

i have a 8 core running at 4.5hgz. with 2 gtx 980 gpus but im trying now at 1080p.

Last update on this problem.

So in the end i resolved this problem with deleting my settings for my account and each character.

Everything except Gui layouts and keybinds.

Now im playing as 3 years ago, max resolution and ultra settings. Thank u all for ur time and help.

Last update on this problem.

So in the end i resolved this problem with deleting my settings for my account and each character.

Everything except Gui layouts and keybinds.

Now im playing as 3 years ago, max resolution and ultra settings. Thank u all for ur time and help.

Cool, glad you got it sorted (even if I was barking up the wrong tree lol). :D