PvP and Why It Sucks (As a level 50 Marauder)

Ceraz

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i gota say on this topic i really think merauders need a dps boost and a BIG one. after all unlike assasins who are tank/dps/mid ranged dps hybreeds with lots of stuns knockbacks and CC (did i mention the stealth?) we are melee classes that just do ok dmg....thats all. i can get on a smuggler and he can just and there and take the punishment as he stuns and bursts me down. and if for some reason i get out he just knocks be back and im immobilized for what 3 sec? and slowly get my speed back?

im saying melee that dont have all the CC and hybreed abilities and can stealth for surprise attacks should be something that ppl RUN from.

in every other MMO that ive played to this date. any main dmg melee class that does not stealth like the marauder has made classes that are ranged or hybreeds(classes that can do everything but are not good at one thing) they have stealth and range on there side and all the CC's that come with that. i dont expect to have lots of CC or more stuns i just dont want to sit on someone beating away trying to kill them for a long time or untill there teamate comes and kills me. i want to feel like a main dps class that makes ppl try to get away or kite you. right now ppl dont even reeally have to run but if they do they will take little to none dmg...

• 2 weeks later...

Much like WoW's PvP... you'll get rocked without 'expertise' (resilience). I play as a Juggernaught. If I pull all my stops as a long time, heavy mmo player I consistently am at the bottom of damage charts. The PvP mechanic in this is different, not bad per se. As a tank I am just a distraction with considerable stuns, interupts, knockbacks and crazy mitigation for me AND my allies. A support role of a team. The design is such to be played in groups. A healer, damage and tank trio will be a nightmare to deal with.

And as far as I can tell... everyone died a lot 40-50. I cursed my useless companions more times than I care to remember. Again, not WoW. Harder, different.

A geared mara vs a geared sin with both players good the mara will win unless all their skills are on cd at the start of a fight. My problem with my mara is that he's undisputably the best 1v1 class in the game and there isnt any clear 1v1 component to this game... I meam, if ur gunna make a class so clearly single target nukey, have it have some point...

I have to agree with almost everything the OP said. I've been playing Marauder as well, PvP alot and some PvE HMs and Ops. I know we have no dps meters yet but in PvE I feel like I'm doing the most damage, even when some members of the party are outgearing me by a bit. PvE wise, I could not understand why you wouldn't want a Marauder in every group. Dmg output is amazing, good at taking out adds, great group buffs(Predation, Bloodthirst, Bersek healing). Oh yeah, you'll want to spec Annihilation. And I prefer stacking surge and crit(25% crit chance, 80% critical multiplier is nice) With that and all the bleed effects that occur and that are critting, it's difficult to see a boss's health meter or casting meter because so much damage, and big fonted crit damage, is flowing out of your enemy.

As far as PvP goes, well that's just a crapstorm for Marauders. I took brutal punishment in WZs for a good two weeks straight, mainly because 95% of WZs are Huttball. I'm sure I learned the class better during that time, but I know my gear got significantly better....300 expertise is a good jumping off point to start seeing improvements in PvP combat, then you can really start to shred people. 2 or 3 weeks ago I had everyone in the WZ coming after me because I was an easy kill, but now people are scrambling to get away from me. Oh yeah, you'll want to spec Annihilation.

They can be very powerful but it does take some time. I can completely agree about us having no knockbacks, the only Advanced class without one. And ALL of our "stuns" being channeled, in a way, simultaneously rooting yourself in place(Force Choke, Ravage). It makes it very diffiicult to control an enemy in ways that other classes can do to us, but that's why we rely on our damage output....that's just the way it is. I enjoy it now, it really is a challenge to master the class. I haven't gotten all the way there yet, but I'm starting to really understand it. Oh yeah, you'll want to spec Annihilation.

If you want a challenge and want to play a class that is really fun to play(even at it's frustrating times), I would recommend rolling a Marauder/Sentinel. Duel wielding it just so damn fun.

DISCLAIMER: I have played all three specs extensively(Carnage first, then Annihilation, then Rage, and now permanently Annihilation)

Edited by SoBlue

• 1 month later...
I have to agree with almost everything the OP said. I've been playing Marauder as well, PvP alot and some PvE HMs and Ops. I know we have no dps meters yet but in PvE I feel like I'm doing the most damage, even when some members of the party are outgearing me by a bit. PvE wise, I could not understand why you wouldn't want a Marauder in every group. Dmg output is amazing, good at taking out adds, great group buffs(Predation, Bloodthirst, Bersek healing). Oh yeah, you'll want to spec Annihilation. And I prefer stacking surge and crit(25% crit chance, 80% critical multiplier is nice) With that and all the bleed effects that occur and that are critting, it's difficult to see a boss's health meter or casting meter because so much damage, and big fonted crit damage, is flowing out of your enemy.

As far as PvP goes, well that's just a crapstorm for Marauders. I took brutal punishment in WZs for a good two weeks straight, mainly because 95% of WZs are Huttball. I'm sure I learned the class better during that time, but I know my gear got significantly better....300 expertise is a good jumping off point to start seeing improvements in PvP combat, then you can really start to shred people. 2 or 3 weeks ago I had everyone in the WZ coming after me because I was an easy kill, but now people are scrambling to get away from me. Oh yeah, you'll want to spec Annihilation.

They can be very powerful but it does take some time. I can completely agree about us having no knockbacks, the only Advanced class without one. And ALL of our "stuns" being channeled, in a way, simultaneously rooting yourself in place(Force Choke, Ravage). It makes it very diffiicult to control an enemy in ways that other classes can do to us, but that's why we rely on our damage output....that's just the way it is. I enjoy it now, it really is a challenge to master the class. I haven't gotten all the way there yet, but I'm starting to really understand it. Oh yeah, you'll want to spec Annihilation.

If you want a challenge and want to play a class that is really fun to play(even at it's frustrating times), I would recommend rolling a Marauder/Sentinel. Duel wielding it just so damn fun.

DISCLAIMER: I have played all three specs extensively(Carnage first, then Annihilation, then Rage, and now permanently Annihilation)

Why annihilation over rage? Curious because i have only ever spec'ed rage and i quite like it, Force crush is nice in pvp, and stacking shockwave after choke is sweet. What about annihilation gives it the edge in your opinion.