Only starter planets availible. Again!

Huggo

Morning all!

After not being able to log any of my toons during the weekend and seeing that many others had the same issue

I was really pleased to see it worked after patch.

However, after yesterdays unscheduled downtime my issues have returned, that is, only toon on starter planet is availible, meter showing game download up to the right shows 0.0%.

Was the error identified in the first place or was it just luck that I could log my toons a few times yesterday?

If the error was fixed, what happened that made it necessary to reintroduce the bug?

Do the error occure regardless of server or is it server specific?

Yes, I do have a 1060 with the latest drivers, doubt this has anything with Nvidia drivers though as it worked yesterday.

And didn't work the days before, with the same drivers.

Just tried again and it still doesn't work :(

Be aware that this will involve downloading the game again.

Exactly, why should we continuing with all kinds of work a rounds like full install, deleting folders etc. when it is the

client that have issues? Sort the root issue, not continue with advices to sort this recurring problem for so many!

I don't speak for anyone but myself, when I say that I frankly have no interest of reinstalling game, troubleshoot

drivers, spend hours just to log on and see that only starter planets are availible.

Fix the issue and let us know when it is done

Exactly, why should we continuing with all kinds of work a rounds like full install, deleting folders etc. when it is the

client that have issues? Sort the root issue, not continue with advices to sort this recurring problem for so many!

I don't speak for anyone but myself, when I say that I frankly have no interest of reinstalling game, troubleshoot

drivers, spend hours just to log on and see that only starter planets are availible.

Fix the issue and let us know when it is done

As understandable as your frustration is, Ranting wont fix anything. This is not the first time the BR release has had issues, and it will not be the last. Your choice to use the solution provided, or not, but /soapbox will not get you anywhere with them on this matter.

Edited by Kaveat

BW hasn't acknowledged the issue with bitraider for anyone else, for a near decade. why would they suddenly acknowledge it for you?

no, they did, at least once, back in 2014:

BitRaider Or Bug? Resolving common issues with the streaming client

what is ironic is that they detail deleting the .xfr files, but in many BR bugs those files have been hung and locked until reboot

either way, this is just another reason many opt to switch to the non-BR version and just have done with it.

Edited by Kaveat

Hi! My wife had this issue twice yesterday, both time solved by deleting the BR-folders as described in various places.

I think this is the third time it happens for her but never for me.

A bit annoying but when the fix works it does not take to much time, still seems quite a common issue so it would be nice if it's fixed.

What is the negatives with the non BR-issue if the game except from needing to reinstall the game?

Most people who have encountered this have found that switching to the non-streaming client resolves the problem. Follow the step closely. Be aware that this will involve downloading the game again.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Troubleshooting-Guides-Info/Guide-How-to-Switch-to-Non-Streaming-Launcher/m-p/4867417#M27

i've had this issue since the update as well.

thanks for posting this.

Hi! My wife had this issue twice yesterday, both time solved by deleting the BR-folders as described in various places.

I think this is the third time it happens for her but never for me.

A bit annoying but when the fix works it does not take to much time, still seems quite a common issue so it would be nice if it's fixed.

What is the negatives with the non BR-issue if the game except from needing to reinstall the game?

I should have kept quiet, now I just got the issue. The fix for my wife did not help me, neither did the launcher-repair utility. Well I guess a day without playing could be good and perhaps better luck tomorrow.

<Edit: As seen in another thread it actually helps just to reboot the computer for me and leaving the folders as they are. Strange issue this but I'm glad I got the game running. So try simple reboot or shutdown/start and it might work for you too. Som say it works 50% so try twice

Edited by MrSteed

I had this problem a couple of days ago. Running the Launcher Repair Utility fixed it for me.

Download and instructions here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/star-wars/star-wars-the-old-republic/swtor-launcher-troubleshooting-guide/

Much faster than reloading the whole game but others have said in another thread that it didn't work for them.

It's like the days of WinME and Vista: its hit & miss. some have more issues from it than others, but eventually more will end up on the non-BR version than the default just because they are fed up with the default issues.

Either way, if people really want their installed version to work better, they will find a way to make the change rather than just ranting over it.

TBH, it does not take much work, just make the changes and set the download to run while you sleep/work, or even copy your data files to another computer, make the changes, login & start your download, then copy back the non-br version when it's done. It's not as if the game data files are unique to each comp they are installed on.

Edited by Kaveat

It's like the days of WinME and Vista: its hit & miss. some have more issues from it than others, but eventually more will end up on the non-BR version than the default just because they are fed up with the default issues.

Either way, if people really want their installed version to work better, they will find a way to make the change rather than just ranting over it.

TBH, it does not take much work, just make the changes and set the download to run while you sleep/work, or even copy your data files to another computer, make the changes, login & start your download, then copy back the non-br version when it's done. It's not as if the game data files are unique to each comp they are installed on.

I was to lazy to do that today but will do it next time. What happens when there is a new patch, do you manually download it without bitraider or how does it work?

I was to lazy to do that today but will do it next time. What happens when there is a new patch, do you manually download it without bitraider or how does it work?

unless you do a clean re-install, you should be set. once you set the launcher.settings to non-br, the non-br launcher stays that way. all updates and whatnot are using the non-br update packages direct from BW/EA, with no more torrenting between players for updates.

that said, there is still a chance that an update could brick your installation, that hazard exists on both sides, and nothing to do for it except maintain your own backup of the 'last working version' of the game data folder. It's annoying, but can be done with automatic backups, and has saved many a bacon from having to re download everything again.

Edited by Kaveat

unless you do a clean re-install, you should be set. once you set the launcher.settings to non-br, the non-br launcher stays that way. all updates and whatnot are using the non-br update packages direct from BW/EA, with no more torrenting between players for updates.

that said, there is still a chance that an update could brick your installation, that hazard exists on both sides, and nothing to do for it except maintain your own backup of the 'last working version' of the game data folder. It's annoying, but can be done with automatic backups, and has saved many a bacon from having to re download everything again.

Thanks, that sounds well worth it. And thanks for the backup reminder, I always says that to other but kind of forget myself sometime :) Especially for online games where it's easy to think everytihig is saved somewhere else.

Thanks, that sounds well worth it. And thanks for the backup reminder, I always says that to other but kind of forget myself sometime :) Especially for online games where it's easy to think everytihig is saved somewhere else.

when you do your backup, do not forget to include

%localappdata%\stwor

which contains your game settings and per account /character files (chat settings, UI profiles, key binding profiles, friend/ignore lists, etc)

the added benefit of maintaining a backup of both your game data and user files is that you can later use that backup to get another computer going on swtor without having to re-download the game and re-setup your UI(s) again.

in your case, you can set the non-br on your comp, do the download, verify, then copy that to the wifes comp and you'll both be set.

Edited by Kaveat

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.