The Unofficial Appearance Customization Thread

magnuskn

Top of that the devs admitted the gear mods are less flexible than the a-tabs.

If you're referring to what Georg Zoeller said shortly before launch, then we both know you're misrepresenting that statement. He was referring to the system the game was launching with, not 1.2.

After 1.2, it will be just as flexible as an a-tab, only you get to actually CUSTOMIZE.

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We both know you are only looking at a part of the equation.

It's not because you're displaying a piece of gear that it's easier to obtain. That's simply not true.

Also thing is A-Tab makes every item more valuable as desired either for its stats or even its look or both, all of them. We also both know in all former polls on these very forum over 75% of the voters said look > stats.

Wow appearance system and gear dyes have been the top#1 topic on their suggestion forums since launch. They finally have been obliged to add transmogrification due the the competitors.

And you are right a-tab are more easy to manage than the mods system which are actually a pain to maintain: 7 items per character x 3 mods per item x 5 companion x number of alts == you need a damn spreadsheet to manage all this mess.

Even switching mods between your character and companions is a pain.

Top of that the devs admitted the gear mods are less flexible than the a-tabs.

There's no risk in the mods system nor in non mod system it's just a pain.

I'll point out that poll did not represent 75% in favor of appearance tabs, it represented appearance customization. The opinions expressed by those voters ranged beyond just a desire for appearance tabs and the mod system and color matching answer many of the issues behind their votes.

It also bears noting that there were longer threads (same gender romance comes to mind) and that thread length is more a function of a strong and passionate divided discussion and forum moderation and mergers than it is a sign of a unified support behind the title issue.

The post 1.2 system is less flexible in the costume changing regard but, actually offers more variety than appearance tabs alone. You can wear any combination of pieces your character could don in regards to armor type, class and alignment. You can mix and match it through the color matching system to different effects. On top of that you can custom fit the stats of the armor. Their goal was never to support frequent costume changes but, it offers more options.

Edited by Matte_Black

I'll point out that poll did not represent 75% in favor of appearance tabs, it represented appearance customization. The opinions expressed by those voters ranged beyond just a desire for appearance tabs and the mod system and color matching answer many of the issues behind their votes.

It also bears noting that there were longer threads (same gender romance comes to mind) and that thread length is more a function of a strong and passionate divided discussion and forum moderation and mergers than it is a sign of a unified support behind the title issue.

The post 1.2 system is less flexible in the costume changing regard but, actually offers more variety than appearance tabs alone. You can wear any combination of pieces your character could don in regards to armor type, class and alignment. You can mix and match it through the color matching system to different effects. On top of that you can custom fit the stats of the armor. Their goal was never to support frequent costume changes but, it offers more options.

More options but not as convenient as an appearance tab* and so far not all gear meshes and textures will be available in orange parts.

Then if I remember well it cost roundly 650k to change a whole set transferring the mods between 2 sets of top end gear. And you pay each time you change.

More options but not as convenient as an appearance tab* and so far not all gear meshes and textures will be available in orange parts.

Source? Because this is in direct contradiction to what the devs said.

Then if I remember well it cost roundly 650k to change a whole set transferring the mods between 2 sets of top end gear. And you pay each time you change.

You don't pay each time you change. You pay once for each particular set. Then, if you want to change between those sets, you do so freely. At no cost. You just put the damned thing on.

Source? Because this is in direct contradiction to what the devs said.

Mine is few posts above. Now can you parse the one from the devs saying all the gear will have orange equivalent because from my knowledge from the PTS it seems not like it.

You don't pay each time you change. You pay once for each particular set. Then, if you want to change between those sets, you do so freely. At no cost. You just put the damned thing on.

Maybe I'm missing something here but you have to pay when switching mods between gear.

Mine is few posts above. Now can you parse the one from the devs saying all the gear will have orange equivalent because from my knowledge from the PTS it seems not like it.

I'm missing something, because I don't see a link in your posts... Also, the schems are acquired through Underworld Trading. Not all schems have been found yet. That doesn't mean green gear doesn't have an orange version.

Maybe I'm missing something here but you have to pay when switching mods between gear.

Once per piece. That's it. You acquire the gear with the stats you want, pull it, put in the orange or purple gear you like. That's it, you're done. After you've done that, there is never any reason to pull it again. Want to switch outfits? Then acquire the stat gear like you did for the first outfit, and build a second outfit. Then you can switch between the two outfits as often as you want because they have the same mods and stats.

Rinse-repeat for every outfit you want in your wardrobe. This "pulling mods every time you want to switch your outfit" is completely pointless and utterly unnecessary.

My 50 Smuggler has 4 separate BiS outfits. I switch at will and it doesn't cost me a single credit.

I'm missing something, because I don't see a link in your posts... Also, the schems are acquired through Underworld Trading. Not all schems have been found yet. That doesn't mean green gear doesn't have an orange version.

Once per piece. That's it. You acquire the gear with the stats you want, pull it, put in the orange or purple gear you like. That's it, you're done. After you've done that, there is never any reason to pull it again. Want to switch outfits? Then acquire the stat gear like you did for the first outfit, and build a second outfit. Then you can switch between the two outfits as often as you want because they have the same mods and stats.

Rinse-repeat for every outfit you want in your wardrobe. This "pulling mods every time you want to switch your outfit" is completely pointless and utterly unnecessary.

My 50 Smuggler has 4 separate BiS outfits. I switch at will and it doesn't cost me a single credit.

Casually just walking around picking up full sets of Rakata Gear so I can have multiple outfits... or pay about 750k each time just to change the main parts of the outfits.

How much of the population did Bioware say was doing Operations?

And how many people are running around with millions on their characters?

With that system a lot of the fun is taken out of changing your look. Now it's not fun but something as serious as collecting end game gear.

This game doesn't appeal to me. Here everything is too serious save NPCs banter. Until something new comes out or my friends decide to move I'll be stuck here wishing Bioware would remove that stick out from behind them.

Edited by illgot

Casually just walking around picking up full sets of Rakata Gear so I can have multiple outfits... or pay about 750k each time just to change the main parts of the outfits.

How much of the population did Bioware say was doing Operations?

And how many people are running around with millions on their characters?

With that system a lot of the fun is taken out of changing your look. Now it's not fun but something as serious as collecting end game gear.

This game doesn't appeal to me. Here everything is too serious save NPCs banter. Until something new comes out or my friends decide to move I'll be stuck here wishing Bioware would remove that stick out from behind them.

And the mantra that even the devs have been saying for several years now: This game will not be for everyone.

This game is two months old. Get off the "not many people are doing XXX". Of course they aren't. It's only two months old, and a great many more people than the average MMO are playing alts, experiencing the other storylines.

I am. I have 11 characters across two servers. And I STILL have complete outfits. It's just not as tough as you're trying to make it sound. It just really isn't.

So you're saying the devs didn't say all items will have orange counter parts. Good we agree then.

Glad to read that you agree on we're obliged to pay to switch mods between gears or grind again to acquire a second or third or fourth time the mods.

=> Appearance tabs are still way superior.

So you're saying the devs didn't say all items will have orange counter parts. Good we agree then.

Glad to read that you agree on we're obliged to pay to switch mods between gears or grind again to acquire a second or third or fourth time the mods.

in beta the devs did say every green, blue, and purple item would have an orange equivalent. I believe they want to work back to that (as all green, blue, and purple items in beta were modable).

It will just take them a lot of man hours to create recipes for every item in their database. I'm fine with that, but what should be lowered is the cost to remove the mods from orange item to orange item. A high cost to take them out of the initial item is fine, but paying just as much just to change your appearance isn't fun.

Honestly changing your look by constantly moving around mods isn't fun either it is as fun as respecing manually every time you want to PvP or PvE.

Edited by illgot

Now you're just being pedantic. You know the devs did, indeed, say that.

No, a-tabs are freebies, not superior.

in beta the devs did say every green, blue, and purple item would have an orange equivalent. I believe they want to work back to that (as all green, blue, and purple items in beta were modable).

Not quite correct. All items used to be moddable, not have an orange version. Then they took it away. Then, on the last "launch build" at the beginning of December, and the build the game launched with, Emmanuel Lusinchi confirmed that all green items (and only green) have an orange version and were given to the crafters. He also mentioned that these schems come through Underworld Trading. To this day, new schems of orange items are still filtering out of UT.

With 1.2, they don't have to create orange versions of purple items. Purple items, themselves, will work like orange items.

It will just take them a lot of man hours to create recipes for every item in their database. I'm fine with that, but what should be lowered is the cost to remove the mods from orange item to orange item. A high cost to take them out of the initial item is fine, but paying just as much just to change your appearance isn't fun.

Honestly changing your look by constantly moving around mods isn't fun either it is as fun as respecing manually every time you want to PvP or PvE.

The cost, I hope you realize, is by NO MEANS, whatsoever, finalized.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

Now you're just being pedantic. You know the devs did, indeed, say that.

No, a-tabs are freebies, not superior.

For the adults that grind in real life with jobs, kids, spouses, and extended family, we do not like to come into a game and find every single aspect of that game is also a grind. At least not Westerners.

If a player wants to change something as casual as their characters clothing, something they have already earned, the last thing they want to do grind again just to afford a feature that has absolutely no effect on anyone but that player.

Saying that the orange mod system is superior to an appearance tab is like saying manually resetting your skills is superior to dual spec capability.

Edited by illgot

Dear (ahem , dang those profanity filters)

We have customized appearance already.

It's called socketting up a piece of armor you like and wearing it all the way to fifty.

It's not EXACTLY the customization you had in some game long long ago , true. But it is customization none the less.

Saying that the orange mod system is superior to an appearance tab is like saying manually resetting your skills is superior to dual spec capability.

Yeah, well, that is a completely subjective statement, so we won't get anywhere with that aspect. We'll have to agree to disagree on that point.

Yeah, well, that is a completely subjective statement, so we won't get anywhere with that aspect. We'll have to agree to disagree on that point.

It is not subjective.

Is manually setting up your spec every time superior to dual spec? No.

The same applies to the mod system being being tied to the appearance system. The mod system is great, but combining it with the appearance system is just clumsy design.

Dual spec and the appearance tabs take an overly complex function and simplifies it. Players click a button and switch functions. Manually changing each function every time accomplishes nothing positive for the game or the player.

Someone will say it serves as a money sink to manually change everything in game; this has nothing to do with dual spec or appearance tabs.

Dual spec should cost each time a player switch specs or purchases a dual spec template. It is a far superior design than going to an NPC, paying them to reset character skills, reassigning those skills, and resetting the skill bar for the new skills every time a player switches specs.

The same applies to an Appearance Tab. There can easily be a charge associated with either purchasing the tabs themselves or applying gear to those tabs. A system like that is far superior to a system which forces you to unplug 4 mods on each item just to change that slots appearance.

More mind numbing work that serves no purpose in game is only a sign of bad design, not superiority.

Setting aside appearance tabs for now since they don't appear to be in the offing no matter their reported popularity or validity, what area of appearance customization is most in need of further development?

• Armor Dyes?
  • Post creation avatar changes?
  • More Avatar Options?
  • More Races?
  • Specific pieces of armor?
  • Companion issues?
  • Others?

Setting aside appearance tabs for now since they don't appear to be in the offing no matter their reported popularity or validity, what area of appearance customization is most in need of further development?
  • Armor Dyes?
  • More Avatar Options?
  • More Races?
  • Companion issues?
  • Others?

They will get round to it in the end ok.

• Armor Dyes?
  • More Avatar Options?
  • More Races?
  • Companion issues?
  • Others?

Armor dyes would be a nice start as I do not see Appearance Tab ever hitting TOR either.

I would love one thing not marked on that list though. Unlocking clothing designs that are currently faction based. It just seems silly that a Sith Inquisitor would always wear black sleek outfits and a Jedi would always wear brown robes.

Or that an Imperial Agent would always wear very uniform looking outfits while only Smuggler would wear fedora hats.

You can forget about armor dyes for one simple reason. They've gone with using the same skins with different color variations to differentiate different levels of gear, and armor dyes would completely destroy that.

I personally would much rather have a dye system, but I don't expect we'll ever see it.

You can forget about armor dyes for one simple reason. They've gone with using the same skins with different color variations to differentiate different levels of gear, and armor dyes would completely destroy that.

I personally would much rather have a dye system, but I don't expect we'll ever see it.

I agree. More meshes and skins are needed if a dye system would show that variety is lacking.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.