The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

@LFG tool haterz

Nevur

Waaaaah Waaaaah why cant everything be handed to me on a silver platter. Go find a group and quit whining. If your looking to a group up and do something, guess what, 2-3 of the other 2 million people probably are too. Spend 15 minutes looking for a group of people you can talk to and get to know and level with them.

Doesn't work.

There are only 50 people on the Republic Fleet, not 2 million.

Only one of them is in the correct level range for Hammer Station.

He is not LFG. I whispered him and he declined.

I did a global search for people with their LFG flags up. Only 14 people showed up, none of which were in the level range for the flashpoint. No one uses this feature.

What do I do now?

Edited by carnac_fett

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Bioware gives tools to griefers and jerks that lets them do as they please with no consequences why should I play? LFD did indeed sort of help get dungeons moving in Wrath, but even in cata it's still 30+ minute queues for all but the easiest heroics.

If they add an in server group finder, I'm ok with that. I am not ok with cross server. Cross server functions effectively KILL the community as proven by WoW.

Just aslong they leave the auto join and auto teleport out :)

Why not an auto-teleport? All the flashpoints are accessible from the same room.

Is there something wonderful and significant about taking a speeder to the shuttle, taking the shuttle up to the station, running down a couple of halls, and taking an elevator down to where the flashpoints are?

The trip didn't strike me as fun or interesting. I wouldn't miss it.

Cross server functions effectively KILL the community as proven by WoW.

Do you have any proof that WoW's community was killed by the Dungeon Finder?

From my six years in that game, I always thought the WoW community was killed by the WoW community.

Edited by carnac_fett

Do you have any proof that WoW's community was killed by the Dungeon Finder?

From my six years in that game, I always thought the WoW community was killed by the WoW community.

WoW has a terrible community because the players werent allowed to police their own. In Everquest if you were a D_ck and ninja looter or just an overall bad player you got blacklisted and had to reroll because everyone knew you had a bad rep and you never got grouped. Also server boards in everquest usually had a hall of shame forum where you could post about someone if they were bad and others would also list their experiences if they had any with this same player

In WoW if you post badly about someone else you get forum banned. If you make a bad name for yourself you just change it, or server change, or faction change. There is no punishment for having a bad rep. Its almost like Blizzard is on the side of the fail players.

Edited by Dabrixmgp

This post illustrates the problem. Pro-LFD people only see two options...

1. LFD tool.

2. Spam General.

It never occurs to them to join a guild or actually talk to people and make friends.

Sorry, but I don't want this to turn into a lobby game with people just standing around waiting for their instance to pop so they can mindlessly rush in to break their loot pinata and get their freebie epics.

That's what WoW has become, and I will never play that game again. Go there if that's what you want.

So you essentially oppose a LFD tool because that will force you to realize that all this game is at cap is people waiting around to get into a group so they can mindlessly rush in to break the loot piñata.

Hate to burst your bubble but that IS all this game is.

So you essentially oppose a LFD tool because that will force you to realize that all this game is at cap is people waiting around to get into a group so they can mindlessly rush in to break the loot piñata.

Hate to burst your bubble but that IS all this game is.

Isnt that what every game is about?

<<So you essentially oppose a LFD tool because that will force you to realize that all this game is at cap is people waiting around to get into a group so they can mindlessly rush in to break the loot piñata.>>

From my experience this was the same in that "other" MMO....

That's how it is in any MMO.

Players want to play.

Having to sit around waiting to play isn't a 'feature' of any game.

There is a perfectly viable and usable LFG tool already in the game. The issue is, people don't use it either cause they don't know it's there or since it's not the same as the LFD tool in WoW they think it sucks and refuse to use it.

Maybe the game should do a better job of how to use the feature that is already in game that is designed to make getting a group easier.

There is a perfectly viable and usable LFG tool already in the game. The issue is, people don't use it either cause they don't know it's there or since it's not the same as the LFD tool in WoW they think it sucks and refuse to use it.

Maybe the game should do a better job of how to use the feature that is already in game that is designed to make getting a group easier.

A simple fix would be to add a button onto the UI that toggles your LFG flag.

When you hit the button, it shows you a list of all flashpoints. Pick the one you want and your LFG note is automatically made to be the name of the flashpoint.

Also, the current method to see all players with an LFG flag up (/who, filter by LFG) is a bit obtuse. There should be a button for that on the /who results window.

When you hit the button, it shows you a list of all flashpoints. Pick the one you want and your LFG note is automatically made to be the name of the flashpoint.

Also, the current method to see all players with an LFG flag up (/who, filter by LFG) is a bit obtuse. There should be a button for that on the /who results window.

This is a fine idea.

i was against the LFG at the beginning, but after acheiving lvl 26 and having yet to do hammer station or mandalorian raiders or the chimerieuereerea (no clue how to spell) and i have spent 2-plus hours just standing on the space station spamming /lfg for .... to still not get to do the content, i am switching to the pro-LFG side.

i had forgotten how annoying and time wastey it is trying to find or fill a group. as in most mmorpg's the majority of folks went DPS, and tanks / heals are few and far between. so it's a bunch of dps folks just milling about waiting.

its' not epic or star warsy to stand around...

/LFG - hammer

/LFG - MR

/LFG - Chemeaueueueueueueueueueueueue

over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over

Yeah the /who feature does need a little work because once you type /who it just opens the social window with your current location by default even if you type /who graun or /who 40-44, you have to use the search field in the social window.

The LFG tool though shouldn't be limited to just flashpoints, but also heroic quests or just a general LFG option. That's the issue I see with your suggestion about the flashpoint listing. But you can still set your LFG note manually to DPS - Taral V, Maelstrom, really doesn't take that much effort.

Good ideas though.

Looking for Dungeon and Looking for Raid are eventually required. The reason is that eventually, everyone gets fully geared up from those dungeons and no one does them anymore. In the very early days of WoW, this is what happened to me and eventually I rage canceled only to pick the game back up later.

The server pop is one part of the equation but also equally important is the availability of the roles and classes to complete the instance. I'm in a heavy to very heavy server but depending on time of day, I still have difficulty finding groups for flashpoints and even group quests. Getting exact classes hasn't even happened or possible yet. A matchmaking system like LFD and LFR solves these problems automatically.

The decision to include a LFD or LFR should not be based upon how it affects the community. There are plenty of opportunities to be social on a server such as grouping up for quests, while you level, chatting in general, etc.

Flashpoints and Operations are all about gameplay and when you do them, you are focusing on the game at hand and generally you don't have time to talk except when giving directions or tips. When I queue up to a dungeon or a raid, I intend to play the game and so are people who join up for them. The first flashpoint I did, I did not say a single word even though I wanted to. We ended up talking afterwards but we had no time to during the run.

Not many people hating on LFG just LFD.

People don't want something where you press a button the game automagically matches you up with total strangers who are normally all from different servers that you will never see or talk too again, who you will barely speak with during the run.

Yeah the cross server auto dump is crap. I donno what's wrong with people, drop a LFG in general chat, you'll probably get a tell and an invite.

I mean the basic issue is people don't want to have to go "LFG any flashpoint" in general because what, they're to shy?

Try to be a little social man, I hate grouping with people who have no interest in the group and are just using it to clear a zone and see the others in the group as there to service their need to clear a zone.

This game doesn't need a LFD tool to make people not talk or "kill the community". The game and its players are doing a good job of that already. I join groups and no one talks. No one talks in chat, nothing. Anything social about this game is DOA. Edited by Merex

Looking for Dungeon and Looking for Raid are eventually required. The reason is that eventually, everyone gets fully geared up from those dungeons and no one does them anymore. In the very early days of WoW, this is what happened to me and eventually I rage canceled only to pick the game back up later.

The server pop is one part of the equation but also equally important is the availability of the roles and classes to complete the instance. I'm in a heavy to very heavy server but depending on time of day, I still have difficulty finding groups for flashpoints and even group quests. Getting exact classes hasn't even happened or possible yet. A matchmaking system like LFD and LFR solves these problems automatically.

The decision to include a LFD or LFR should not be based upon how it affects the community. There are plenty of opportunities to be social on a server such as grouping up for quests, while you level, chatting in general, etc.

Flashpoints and Operations are all about gameplay and when you do them, you are focusing on the game at hand and generally you don't have time to talk except when giving directions or tips. When I queue up to a dungeon or a raid, I intend to play the game and so are people who join up for them. The first flashpoint I did, I did not say a single word even though I wanted to. We ended up talking afterwards but we had no time to during the run.

Good post. People also don't realize that there is a large cluster of players around the same levels now since the game is still fairly new. What happens next month when a majority of players are 50 and you want to run a 20 flashpoint? What if you can't play at peak times? etc. Everyone knows a tool will be added eventually anyway.

Read what I said.... respond to that not something else.

They did. Just because you don't like the answer is no reason to dismiss it. There is absolutely no difference between picking up random strangers in /1 General Chat or having the game match me up with random strangers.

Well, there is one difference. It's faster for the game to do it. The end result is the same for most of us. Personally, I don't care if anyone in the group says a single word. I'm there to get an instance done, to see the story, and maybe, if I'm lucky, enhance my character. It's a game, not Facebook.

Bored at work, been poring over the forums. One point of contention I've run across frequently is the idea of a LFG tool, wether or not it should be implemented. I'm in the pro-LFG tool camp myself, but the argument goes that somehow the tool destroys player community, makes people less social, etc.

What?

Do you consider it socializing to ask (or spam) people in general chat (or whispers) if they want to run an instance? Is it the time spent before the party is filled out? I'm just looking for a more in-depth explanation of what people mean when they claim dungeon finders ruin a server's sense of community. I've played MMOs with and without LFG tools, and for the life of me, I can't ever recall those without having this vaunted sense of belonging the anti-tool camp purports.

You did not read the points a lot of us bring up and for starters most of us would not mind having a SAME server LFG tool.

Cross server adds to the anti social ninja looting who cares about any one or why bother respecting them or be polite mentality because you wont in all circumstances ever see those people again.

For the record i don't mind cross server PVP but no to cross server lfg. It supports the community to keep each server to there own server as much as possible. Believe it or not most of us have not had troubles finding or making groups using /1 and yes it is more social as you tend to get people say hi and in a lot of case's strike up conversations..

If its a time thing for you to not have the 10-30 minutes it may take to form or join a group then why are you playing rpgs at all especially mmorpgs??

But it is especially when the follow-up is <gasp> actually talking to people who are also looking for a group.

/1 Me: LFG Hammer Station

/w Random Person #1: Hey, I'll go.

/w Random Person #2: Invite plz

/w Random Person #3: Need heals?

(granted, it takes a while, anywhere from 5-45 minutes for this exchange to take place; I'm just saving time)

Zone In

Complete Objectives

See Story/Questlines

Sometimes Get Loot

Finish Dungeon

/p Me: Thanks for the run guys, gj.

/p Random Person #1: Same guys, nice run

/p Random Person #2: Thx all.

Random Person #3 Leaves the Party

Me: Leaves the Party

I never see or speak with them again (unless something strange happens). This is the very same interaction whether I find randoms using General Chat or a LFD type system. Only difference is it takes much, much longer the General Chat way than the LFD Way. That is it.

This game doesn't need a LFD tool to make people not talk or "kill the community". The game and its players are doing a good job of that already. I join groups and no one talks. No one talks in chat, nothing. Anything social about this game is DOA.

no idea what server your on but on lord praven which is full. We are really social, every ones always chatty even in /1 groups too for the most part talk quiet a lot or perhaps i am just more of a social person then you and strike up conversations with folks??

no idea what server your on but on lord praven which is full. We are really social, every ones always chatty even in /1 groups too for the most part talk quiet a lot or perhaps i am just more of a social person then you and strike up conversations with folks??

I'm glad you're happy that you're an internet social butterfly, but I'm here to play a video game. I interact with people doing group/heroic quests, and flashpoints when I can actually find groups (healer, ~10 min queue at all times server) I couldn't care less about chatting about someones day or what kind of beverage they're currently drinking, I just want to play.