Fixing Healing.... Attention Dev

mrdmdstar

A couple reasons why there is a shortage of healing. Two reasons really.... the horrible UI, which is unforgiving when it comes to clicking your target... I can try clicking Khem Val when he is standing 10 meters away, and he can't be targeted... so I have to click his portrait. This is annoying to the point of angering.

The second, if I had an offensive target as well as defensive target at the same time, a lot of the pain of healing could be mitigated. One of the things I can't understand is how this was not "barrowed" from WAR. Playing a Warrior Priest I could be attacking a mob, and still have my main tank targeted as well, to cast a heal on, without losing my primary attacking target. It made playing a healer feel like less work.

Since this game is 100% solo-able, I don't find myself grouping much, so being able to just keep Khem Val targeted as a friendly or defensive target would save much of the incessant clicking that really shouldn't have to be done.

Suggestions:

1. Allow a friendly or defensive target. (in addition to the target I am attacking)

2. Make raid frame border turn red when group mate is taking damage

3. Make out of range group mates dim even more than they currently do, I don't care if I have to struggle to see them, the current dimming is not enough when the pace of a WF is going on.

A couple reasons why there is a shortage of healing. Two reasons really.... the horrible UI, which is unforgiving when it comes to clicking your target... I can try clicking Khem Val when he is standing 10 meters away, and he can't be targeted... so I have to click his portrait. This is annoying to the point of angering.

The second, if I had an offensive target as well as defensive target at the same time, a lot of the pain of healing could be mitigated. One of the things I can't understand is how this was not "barrowed" from WAR. Playing a Warrior Priest I could be attacking a mob, and still have my main tank targeted as well, to cast a heal on, without losing my primary attacking target. It made playing a healer feel like less work.

Since this game is 100% solo-able, I don't find myself grouping much, so being able to just keep Khem Val targeted as a friendly or defensive target would save much of the incessant clicking that really shouldn't have to be done.

Suggestions:

1. Allow a friendly or defensive target. (in addition to the target I am attacking)

3. Make out of range group mates dim even more than they currently do, I don't care if I have to struggle to see them, the current dimming is not enough when the pace of a WF is going on.

Signed!

Can't wait for the first 'go back to wow' comments! Lol!

healing UI can use plenty of improvements (the biggest one for me being - if I'm running a 2 people heroic quest - I want to be able to see companions on my raid frames instead of trying to select them in a field). but its not nearly as bad as some make it out to be.

the shortage of healers is due to majority of people simply not liking to heal. UI improvements will lessen the disparity slightly, but they will not alleviate it.

that said, more customizable raid frames (especially ability to see only buffs/debuffs you can deal with, hiding the rest), mouseover capability, target of target etc would be MOST welcome.

You make valid points and suggestions. This however is entirely incorrect. There is no way you are doing equal level heroic4s, and equal heroic2+s start to get extremely difficult to solo at some points (Nar Shadda+).

the game suggestion forum is that a way ----------------------------------------->

Seriously, why post this in general forum?????? There is a place for this stuff.

Really?! Do show, because I have not seen an actual "Suggestions" area since beta...

Suggestions:

Ok, so how is it harder to click a portrait than trying to click an avatar in the middle of a bunch of enemies with a bunch of attack animations going off? Second problem, focus your tank, and cast your heals using your focus modifier key. Easy enough to do.

Harder is not the point. Moving the cursor to the bottom left of my screen... and clicking, when I can't click my companion who is 10 feet away, attacking 1 gold mob with no fancy spell effects or anything else, is unacceptable. Then I target the mob, add some damage to help burn the mob down or a stun to buy my companion some time, oh... now companion needs healed again... rinse repeat....

If I wanted to move my mouse around a lot and click everything, I would not have a N52 Speedpad or Naga Epic. I am a firm believer that the mouse should be used to move the camera when needed, or equip an item, etc. I think I move my mouse more as a healer, than playing a FPS.

Using the focus modifier is like using a band-aid on something that needs stitches.

Okay I've gotta mention "the game which must not be named" but in WoW you could be casting a heal on someone, then switch to an enemy mob and it would still cast the heal on the person you wanted it to be on instead of yourself. I'd like to see this in the game, it's nice!

The operation frames are alright when they work properly... the last few warzones haven't shown my own health in the operation frames though, which is slightly annoying. And companions can't be targetted with F keys at the moment, which would also be helpful! I can adapt, but these are some things that would make a healer's life a bit easier... )

the game suggestion forum is that a way ----------------------------------------->

Seriously, why post this in general forum?????? There is a place for this stuff.

Devs close suggestion threads in the PTR forum, and tell them to post suggestions in the General Forum.

I played WAR for a long time and i loved my defensive target. But that game had a lot of hybrid classes, this game really doesn't. No healer damages through healing, or heals by damaging people, DPS rarely have to target a friendly, which makes the Dual targeting system not really a necessity but a luxury.

Would i like it in? Yeah. Is it necessarily needed? No.

Using the focus modifier is like using a band-aid on something that needs stitches.

That's how dual-targeting works. The difference here in SWTOR is that we don't get a second unit frame pop up. Allso, you do understand that F1 is the default to target your companion, right?

As someone that plays a Sage Healer the UI is terrible. Have to click the image of the player or companion you wish to heal when running groups. It is annoying because it doesn't always work and when one of the players has a companion up the image is so stinking small it takes extra effort to just to click it.

When I run solo with my companion I have a remapped a key so that I can quickly target him and then switch back to the target when needed. Why this game does not have target of target boggles my mind.

I do not care if we ever see mods, but I do care if the UI they give us is not functional. How did this ever get past beta? Did anyone beta testing the game ever give any feedback?

Sadly healing (and tanking) are an afterthought in SWTOR. I mean, are we seriously still using the "looking at green bars model"? Seriously?

What is still more unbelievable is the that the successful and popular defensive target option was not added and what is even more unbelievable than that is that even though you have directional DPS abilities, there are no directional heal abilities, like developers didnt want to go through the trouble of creating something fun in healing.

SWTOR healing is just a bad copy and paste from vanilla WoW.

That's how dual-targeting works. The difference here in SWTOR is that we don't get a second unit frame pop up. Allso, you do understand that F1 is the default to target your companion, right?

I do, however, with all the skills filling 3 bars, and my Companion taking the 4th, I don't have any free keys on my N52 to map to F keys.

A couple reasons why there is a shortage of healing.

Haven't noticed a "shortage" of healers but then again, haven't needed a healer for the vast majority of content so far and guess the term "shortage" is relative to how important or necessary one feels healers are.