Subs pay to play so why...

Anihilator

Apologies if this is old news but,

Why is maintenance done during the day for European players?

I subscribe, so the last thing i expect, is to not be able to play during the day.

Offline today between 1pm and 5pm GMT is a joke and I firmly believe that if maintenance can not be done at a more appropriate time for each country, give or take an hour or so each way, then we should not be expected to pay full price subs.

Again, sorry if this is old news, but it is so annoying when you think you can login during the day to play SWTOR and find out you can't because of maintenance. Good god!!!

Yes it's annoying, but as the servers are in the US, it goes on US time, so unfortunatly anyone not in sync, loses out. Can't be helped. :(

The European servers are in Ireland. (I play from France with only 32 ms server ping. No way my packets are getting to America and back in only 32ms.)

The problem isn't the location of the servers, but the location of BioWare's offices, and the need to update all the servers at the same time.

The European servers are in Ireland. (I play from France with only 32 ms server ping. No way my packets are getting to America and back in only 32ms.)

You have a better connection than me, i'm at the very best at 49ms when everything's fine, but most of the tie around 200-300 ms.

Well yesterday night was just unplayable, i was over 50k ms

You have a better connection than me, i'm at the very best at 49ms when everything's fine, but most of the tie around 200-300 ms.

Well yesterday night was just unplayable, i was over 50k ms

It helps a *lot* that I'm in one of the inner suburbs of Lille, in the north, (so a lot closer to Ireland than, say, Nice or Toulouse), and I have 1 Gbps-down(1) fibre as well.

(1) Pedantically, it's "only" 950 Mbps.

Thanks for the replies all :)

After doing a lot of research, I did find a few posts, stating that Bioware are aware of the annoyancies voiced by European players and are looking at ways of trying to fix this.

I'd like to believe it, but dare say it won't happen, after reading the above replies. :(

Fingers crossed tho eh! :)

Yes this was discussed many times before. Mainly when we had expansions or updates and the servers were down longer than anticipated and it always hit the EU players because they always fixed the issue at 1 am EU time and that was afternoon in US. In such cases Europeans went to sleep and had to play the game the next day afternoon, while US people got a fresh start.

Seems there is nothing we can do about it. If the game Studio would be in EU then USA would have the same issue.

It helps a *lot* that I'm in one of the inner suburbs of Lille, in the north, (so a lot closer to Ireland than, say, Nice or Toulouse), and I have 1 Gbps-down(1) fibre as well.

(1) Pedantically, it's "only" 950 Mbps.

Ah yep, that makes a lot of difference.

I live in a small village pretty much in the middle of nowhere near Le Mans.

When i lived near Paris, that was much better, but that's pretty much the only thing i miss from living there..

From business we did all updates after work hours the day updates was done.

BW/EA should take evaluation of where the traffics is lowest, even if BW/EA employee needs to work at night.

Updates does always happens in evening/night time. Unless crises, needed fix in real time.

And from what I have seen on the forums the European servers is the most active.

Edited by RaschRune

Pretty much this.

Pretty much *not* that. The European servers are in Ireland. The problem is two-fold:

* Because any player anywhere can switch around to any server anywhere, all servers must update at the same time.(1)

* BioWare's offices are in the US, and they obviously prefer to do server maintenance (with or without patches) during their office hours, which does sort of make sense.

(1) Yes, that means that maintenance-only down-time(2) could be phased, apart from the second point.

(2) GW1 and GW2 don't have server down-time.

Shortly (usually ten minutes or so) before they ship a patch, an in-game warning goes up that a build is coming. When they ship it, a different warning goes up, giving you a couple of hours to log out.

When you log out, the launcher takes over and patches the game, and then you can go in on the new version.

During those couple of hours, some people will be patched and playing on new-version server instances, and others will be unpatched, and therefore playing on old-version server instances.

When the couple of hours runs out, everyone still playing on an old-version server instance is booted out and the launcher patches the client, as above.

They can and do ship emergency patches whenever they are necessary rather than waiting for a Tuesday or Thursday.

For maintenance, they just mark a server instance as unavailable, and as players move from one map to another, the instance depopulates and eventually is empty, at which point it shuts down.

The problem isn't the location of the servers, but the location of BioWare's offices, and the need to update all the servers at the same time.

oops,, your right, i meant the office....lol

Also, the way GW2 does it sounds so much better :)

Edited by DarkTergon

one way I could see them avoiding this issue would be the following:

1. Disable Server Transfers for 24 hours before and after a new patch is released.
  2. Release the patch for US servers early morning as normal.
  3. Release the patch for EU servers late at night at midnight / 1am Central Time.

This would make both sides happy as they would get the patch pushed out during each zone's off time and prevent issues with character transfers by disabling it for 24 hours before and after a patch. After would be there just in case an emergency patch needs to be pushed out to fix something.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.