The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

UI Feedback: Deconstruction

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

One of the things you may have noticed is that with the Onslaught expansion we are making a number of UI improvements. Some of these are improvements on existing systems, others are completely new interfaces for new systems. Reminder that all of this is still a work in progress so don't focus your feedback too much on visual fidelity and focus on functionality. Also, please avoid gameplay feedback as we are really seeking thoughts about the interface only in this thread.

Please share your feedback on deconstruction. The types of feedback we are looking for:

• Do you understand the purpose of the deconstruction window?
  • Do you know how to use/access deconstruction?
  • Do you understand what you are getting from deconstruction?

Those are just some examples, share any thoughts you have!

Thanks.

-eric

Hey folks,

One of the things you may have noticed is that with the Onslaught expansion we are making a number of UI improvements. Some of these are improvements on existing systems, others are completely new interfaces for new systems. Reminder that all of this is still a work in progress so don't focus your feedback too much on visual fidelity and focus on functionality. Also, please avoid gameplay feedback as we are really seeking thoughts about the interface only in this thread.

Please share your feedback on deconstruction. The types of feedback we are looking for:

Thanks.

-eric

Purpose: Yes

How to use: Yes

Getting from: Yes, mostly

Sometimes if I'm deconstructing several things at once, the window of what I'm getting takes up more than the screen offers. Perhaps an overall total instead of an itemized list would be appropriate. Another option would be to make it selectable whether it's itemized or just a summary.

Please ITEMIZE the deconstructed items. I don't care where the mats came from. but I would like to see more than scraps from gear as the mats cost 200 scraps a piece. Also where do the MK 11 augmentation components come from? for 1-10 it come from every piece of gear at least one. I have deconstructed hundreds of pieces and only got 3.

The deconstruction window seems OK to me.

The countdown timer was unexpected, but seems like a good idea. Maybe you could make it look a bit more natural within the game? Different background or so. It looks a bit outlandish as it is now. But this is something for the last line in your to do list.

Do you understand the purpose of the deconstruction window?

YES

Do you know how to use/access deconstruction?

YES

Do you understand what you are getting from deconstruction?

YES we get junk.

Before we would get half the mats that would be used to make said item. Plus an augmentation component for making augmentation kits.

What we should be getting from the 268 recipe item.

Half the mats on a 268 would be ten conquest mats, 10 instance or pvp mats and then the half the mat components.

What you get is less than one percent of the cost to buy the mats with Jawa scraps. So we get junk.

Deconstruction seems pretty straightforward. The deconstruct countdown is probably unnecessary. I can foresee it getting tiresome after a couple of weeks.

Its actually to prevent us from deconstructing an item we might want. So it has it uses in case we ended up doign an oopsie and trying to deconstruct a piece of our own gear instead of things we wouldn't use/need.

I know why it's there, and I can see how useful it will be in the beginning, but like many things in the customizable UI, I would like to turn it off once I grow accustomed to the new XP -- similar to how you can turn off pop ups when destroying things in GC.

Fair enough, provided the default was to have the cooldown in order to prevent new players from accidentally getting rid of their own gear.

Hey folks,

Thanks.

-eric

Is this how we now Reverse Engineer items to gain the newest schematic?!?!

Please make all the UI match the old style of windows or make the old style match the new UI windows.

At the moment they are so different, it feels extremely unprofessional and amateurish like I’m running multiple third party addons, like you would in games like World or Warcraft.

I know you guys are better than this. Please don’t release it live or you will get bad feed back from players and I dare say from industry reviewers in the gaming media. You don’t want it to be come a meme like Anthem’s disjointed systems.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I know you said not to focus too much on visual fidelity, but getting the deconstruction results as what looks like one giant text file on screen right now is a big yikes and makes it hard to keep track of what you got. I think if you deconstruct several things at once a summary of everything you got would be sufficient, you don't need it broken down item by item.

I was also a bit confused by how some things broke down - it seems newer pieces of gear give you junk, but I'm a bit mystified as to why things like old level 70 gear seem to break down into rank 1 artifact fragments... :confused: Don't really understand the logic behind that.