The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Thoughts on the current Nautolan Customisation?

Diggeric

Hey everyone! It doesn't seem like there are any threads on the PTS Nautolan Customization yet, so I thought I'd start one off as I'm curious to hear people's opinions and suggestions. Obviously, what we see at the moment is only from PTS Phase 2, so I'm pretty sure there'll be more changes between now and Onslaughts release, but I'm still very curious to know people's thoughts.

Up to now, I already really love the look of the Nautolans, I'm super impressed with the head options and having so many different montral shapes (which gives me faith for any future customisation options for the Twi'lek and Togruta); I really like the eye colour options which surprised me initially as I was expecting just black but yeah more eye colours is great; I love all the scars and I'm glad that they're mostly unique especially the one that also puts scars on the montrals; although it doesn't seem like there is much change to the heads when switching body types, but tbh that doesn't faze me that much as long as the proportions are good which they seem like they are so all good there.

In terms of hopes for the final release, the most important one for me personally is more skin colours like getting the skin colours that the Togruta have, which I think may be the easiest thing to add; a couple more patterns would be nice to get a bit more closer to the amount of patterns that came with the Cathar and Togruta; even though I don't think they'll end up being added, but straps and jewellery would've been nice for some more customisation, however I'd be fine if they're not added; even if there isn't straps for the montrals, I do still think that the faces with the montrals in the ponytail need to have a simple brown strap or something that wraps around the base of the montrals to make it look more natural for them to be held up as a ponytail rather than them looking like they are defying gravity lol; also an option to change the colour of the pattern would be awesome and I don't think it would be too much work just like my point on the skin colours; additional complexions would be great or at least a more 'clean' complexion option where there isn't any of the dark marks on the face; finally, it could be just me but I would like a face for the female Nautolans that is more like the Nautolans we've seen in game already, so really I guess I'm asking for the original male and female nautolan faces.

But yeah, I've gone on for a bit, so I'll finish there, I'm intrigued to know if there's any more things people would like to see!

Edited by Diggeric

From the one Nautolan that I made, a size 2 female BH, it appears disproportionate; the head is too small for the body. I considered if it was just the face portion, but no, the whole thing looks too small.

The choices are okay, it would be nice to have faces that are more like npcs. I'll have to take another look at game Nautolan's to be sure.

The good: New scars options

The so so: most of it

The Bad: Head. This is a cheap trick. They look like a lot because there are 36 options but look closer....What we have here are a combination of only 6 face options with 6 montrals options.

If i have to grade overall options i will put this as better than Twilek but not nearly as good as Togruta or Cathar. Since this will be for free for subscribers i find it just decent; but if i were to pay 600cc like Togruta or Cathar i would feel cheated.

Edited by Balameb
correction

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/417469557234466827/617783631036940321/unknown.png player nautolan

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/417469557234466827/617742683355742218/unknown.png npc nautolan

and it can get worse https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/417469557234466827/617783774389862550/unknown.png

Males look fine and like the npcs so its fine but the females.. I've wanted nautolan for years for my jedi but this is just awful to look at

I'm impressed, imo better then a lot of other alien races both male and female. Glad they listen to us on adding different tentacles positions for aliens. Also note that in Star wars legends Nautolans only had blue, green, purple, or gray colored skin, in which I believe BW added all the colors. So I don't think they could add any more, maybe different variation of the existing colors. Also note that BW said a few says ago on stream it's not finish yet, and from what they said in the live stream a few days ago. we were not suppose to see these just yet until later on the PTS, so some of the textures are not done. However from what's done looks great IMO Edited by commanderwar

Tbh I didn't realise how off the female head proportions are when I first tried them out. So yeah I agree that needs to be sorted out which I'm sure they will.

It terms of skin colours I would've just liked a few more shades of the colours we have, like a more paler purple and blue, and a red skin option.

I also agree about the certain features looking too exaggerated, if they were scaled down even just a little bit like just a bit smaller lips it would make a big difference for the better.

Also, just making all the faces skinnier would be so much better and improve their whole look, I saw someone mentioned about their permanent smile which I do think they could look a bit more rested, but it does remind me of Kit Fisto's signature nautolan smile lol

The good: New scars options

The so so: most of it

The Bad: Head. This is a cheap trick. They look like a lot because there are 36 options but look closer....What we have here are a combination of only 6 face options with 6 montrals options.

If i have to grade overall options i will put this as better than Twilek but not nearly as good as Togruta or Cathar. Since this will be for free for subscribers i find it just decent; but if i were to pay 600cc like Togruta or Cathar i would feel cheated.

Not as good as the Togruta or Cathar? What brand of spice do you happen to have there, my friend? :D No really, the Cathar are awful besides like 2-3 faces (for both genders imo) and mostly because they look strangely human and not weirdly proportioned wonks, hair customization is in the garbage, darker skin tones are completely unusable and they have a distinct lack of CAT-like features. Togruta have pitiful selection of faces (seriously, who comes up with like 70% of these?), terrible 'jewelry', a lack of montrail customization, male npc ingame have the longer ones but PCs can't have them (which still looks god awful) and there's been almost no additions made to them besides the jewelry I don't recall anyone asking for.

If anything, Nautolans > Twilek >>> Togruta > Cathar as it stands right now with the number of customization options and regarding lore and I'm a big Twilek and Cathar fan.

Not as good as the Togruta or Cathar? What brand of spice do you happen to have there, my friend? :D No really, the Cathar are awful besides like 2-3 faces (for both genders imo) and mostly because they look strangely human and not weirdly proportioned wonks, hair customization is in the garbage, darker skin tones are completely unusable and they have a distinct lack of CAT-like features. Togruta have pitiful selection of faces (seriously, who comes up with like 70% of these?), terrible 'jewelry', a lack of montrail customization, male npc ingame have the longer ones but PCs can't have them (which still looks god awful) and there's been almost no additions made to them besides the jewelry I don't recall anyone asking for.

If anything, Nautolans > Twilek >>> Togruta > Cathar as it stands right now with the number of customization options and regarding lore and I'm a big Twilek and Cathar fan.

Its a matter of tastes, you are entitle to like twileks better. But about options, i think you did not count properly. There may be options that you don't like and only few are probably good about lore (i give you that). But Twileks have just 3 faces with 4 variations of each one. And only 8 colors. The only big number is cosmetics and patterns but is all in the same choice that it does not even offer the full range of combinations.

Togruta and Cathar just offer way more options that it cannot even compared.

Edit: I do think there is a lot that need to be added to both Togruta and Cathar. Like for expample more (and proper) hair options for cathar.

Edited by Balameb
add info

When i heard the Nautolans where going to be the next playable race i started deciding more or less the looks for the one i was going to make, based on the npcs we fing ingame. The idea i had was a character similar to the one in Mageraah post. I can't do that currently, the faces seem just off, and we don't have that many (6?).

I like the montral options, even if the "ponytail" option seems weird, i also like the skin colors, but the rest is just off to me. I prefer some of the cathar and togruta options (more options to them would be nice tho) to any of the Nautolans, as it it right now. Hopefully BW can correct some of it, or i'll have the first race i'm not making a character off.

Usually there's at least one face or variant i really like in the races, but can't seem to find one in the Nautolans so far, and that's a bummer for me, already had the class and personality chosen for my next playtrough.

When i heard the Nautolans where going to be the next playable race i started deciding more or less the looks for the one i was going to make, based on the npcs we fing ingame. The idea i had was a character similar to the one in Mageraah post. I can't do that currently, the faces seem just off, and we don't have that many (6?).

I like the montral options, even if the "ponytail" option seems weird, i also like the skin colors, but the rest is just off to me. I prefer some of the cathar and togruta options (more options to them would be nice tho) to any of the Nautolans, as it it right now. Hopefully BW can correct some of it, or i'll have the first race i'm not making a character off.

Usually there's at least one face or variant i really like in the races, but can't seem to find one in the Nautolans so far, and that's a bummer for me, already had the class and personality chosen for my next playtrough.

Was the same for me, I had 2 characters all ready for nautolan but as they are now it would be horrific.

I'm a little confused how to even create a Nautolan. On the character creation screen, when I select Nautolan, it just gives me a Togruta.

Right now, only Bounty Hunter works for Nautolans.

To me, their faces look like they're having a severe allergic reaction to something. They lack the angular look of the NPC versions. And yes, the female heads are out proportion. The male version heads can sometimes end up with a case of Headless Horseman, clipping, mostly inside the body cavity. Or they might suffer a case of "no neck" syndrome.

I'm a little confused how to even create a Nautolan. On the character creation screen, when I select Nautolan, it just gives me a Togruta.

You have to be a Bounty Hunter if you want to play as one.

Personally they still need some work. This is the what you get with the [19-24] faces

https://i.imgur.com/W6tnc2d.png

I believe that these heads are simply place holders as the artists continue to fine tune the head mesh.

This is on body 1. Since all of the heads are all currently the same size (for male and female) they become hilarious if you use body 3.

Rolled a trooper. This looks a bit bleh to me: https://i.imgur.com/9TUTBYQ.png?1

Not liking the rifle target point near the eye

Edit: Aha, I see the problem! This one got mangled in the transporter, Captain!

Not only does he not have any hands (the geometry simply isn't even there) but his teeth are on top of his head. This is looking at him from above where you can see his teeth:

https://i.imgur.com/0c0aYkI.png

Maybe a trooper wasn't a good idea.

Edit: A body type 1 trooper looks fine: https://i.imgur.com/BMuVf4j.png

Edited by xordevoreaux

Liking it so far.

Need to tweek the appearance window and separate the head from the montals. 72 head options with 6 montrals per face is a bit tiresome to go through.

The devs must be exasperated when they read this. The one thing they wanted to stave off post-release was a lot of people complaining that there aren't enough appearance options, so they shower us with appearance options, and then people complain it's too much.

Personally, I like all the options. More the better.

Edited by xordevoreaux

The devs must be exasperated when they read this. The one thing they wanted to stave off post-release was a lot of people complaining that there aren't enough appearance options, so they shower us with appearance options, and then people complain it's too much.

Personally, I like all the options. More the better.

I don't think that was a complain about too many options (i personally think we need a lot more), just that is not easy to navigate. Example: If you like a face is easy to see the different mongrals for that face and compare. But if you are set on a mongral and want to see how each face affects the result is not convenient because you need to go to many options that change your views, so is more difficult to compare properly.

If they put the options of face and montrals in different select items, you keep the same amount of options but easier to navigate/compare.

• 4 weeks later...
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/417469557234466827/617783631036940321/unknown.png player nautolan

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/417469557234466827/617742683355742218/unknown.png npc nautolan

and it can get worse https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/417469557234466827/617783774389862550/unknown.png

Males look fine and like the npcs so its fine but the females.. I've wanted nautolan for years for my jedi but this is just awful to look at

Same here. Always wanted to play a Nautolan, but I really can't look at that.

There's something weird about the female faces especially. They look really puffy and swollen or something. None of them have the sleek form of the NPC nautolans. I don't mind us having these faces, I'd just like it if at least some of the faces didn't look this way. Edited by Estelindis

There's something weird about the female faces especially. They look really puffy and swollen or something. None of them have the sleek form of the NPC nautolans. I don't mind us having these faces, I'd just like it if at least of the faces didn't look this way.

The NPC ones just need to be used for the players too, no need to make another model.

I don't get it.

..well, my Nautolan male vanguard just runs headless..

I made him some 2 weeks ago, played a bit of Ord Mantell, logged off, logged back yesterday.... NO HEAD!

So of curiosity I finished Ord, went to fleet, played my 1st group FP (HS of course) and was all the time headless.

Made few screens ( do not know how to post them), I guess, if i continue I could beat Malgus and Valkorion totally headless..:):):)

Edited by Przemo_No