Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Disappointment of a Game, READ FAST

Julsnet

I didn't read all the whining and flaming, but I'm afraid the OP is correct in his critique. He obviously made a dramatic presentation, but the information in his post is valid and accurate.

Personally, I see this game as a great start, and a phenomenal platform in which to introduce all the bells and whistles and tightening down of the features. I can understand where the OP is coming from, and so should you: half a decade of development with a huge studio and EA money backing the project, this game should've been released with more complete mmo features, and less focus on VO.

However, development is a very time-intensive activity, and mmo's are literally the most advanced computer applications developed by mankind (i'm serious, think about it: a global database application with complete 3d graphics front end and interface, supporting millions of end-users in real time. That's hardcore). So, give the devs some credit with what they've brought us, and understand as development for the game continues, they will address each and every one of the flaws you've (correctly) pointed out.

relax.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let him vent. Move along. Absolve yourself of the situation. Or whine about him like a child. whatever.

As you whine about other people whining? haha, Let them whine about him whining.. Or complain about them whining like a child. Ohhh let the hypocrisy commence.

to everyone dismissing his post i want to use the phrase "Even a broken clock is right twice a day"

Doesn't sound like any one is "Dismissing" his post. Sounds like people are trying to show him the error of his ways. How many people in the course of 9 days can complain about how unpolished this newly launched MMO is? Expect much?

Stopped reading with "This isnt an MMO, its a SP game labeled and MMO for money's sake" you are full of crap, ive done more multipolayer content than I did while leveling in WoW ... there is more of it on the way to max, and there is the same ammount end-game.

Buh buh the "instanced worlds right" .... any different to any other Theme-park mmo? no .... you barely see anyone in WoW, you barely seen anyone in any damn leveling zone who isnt leveling ... so why does instancing matter?

You make no sense.

You love WoW, why play this? - a true statement.

Here's the thing ...

The most popular and long lasting MMORPG's in history had launches that were actually worse than this game's.

That's a good sign.

And all of those games got polished and up and running and went on to make history.

If you read the little bit of dev chatter that's out there, they all acknowledge the feedback being given. These issues are known. And are being worked on.

Nothing major changes until the first big patch, which is currently in production. And that will only address a couple of things since the it was already in production prior to launch.

Give the game time. Or don't. But it's not going to fix itself by January 1, 2012. Do what you will with that information.

However, that was before and including WoW and the mmo landscape has changed considerably since then.

But I hope you're right and this does become a more content rich, successful game. It's not like I benefit from it being bad when I've paid money for it. But my point was only that I'm just not prepared to pay a sub for it until it becomes that game, and there's only so many people they can afford to have that attitude before it's not financially viable to make it into that game.

Funny thing is he dont even played this game enough to critisize it , for example he says that you cant change chat bars theres 2 bars 1 for social 1 for other things . In fact yes you can dude and you can also customize em and change like only for tells , only for say msgs etc.

He says you need to wait for animations to do something , in fact he is waitin for global cooldown most of time .

If we are gonna talk bout problems here , my prios would ;

1: No combat log

2: Huuuge load times in between zones. I even get kicked cuz of load time to warzones , before i enter it lol.

3: Insane low fps on some ok configs. Unplayable even.

4: No rewards for world pvp , yes i killed ppl from opposite faction , but for what ? Only for fun ? Yeah its fun but even mobs get you some xp and money for killin em.

5: Random warzones , lemme pick what i want to play . I hate huttball for example.

I just want to point out some (more) misinformation by the OP.

He said that the subscriber population has dropped from 1.5 to 1.2 million.

That is incorrect. If you head over to Darth Hater or listen to the upcoming The Republic on GBTV you will find out the investment firm IIE has said by their projections SWTOR has 2.5 million concurrent subscribers.

2.5 million

Cowen & Company says that the figures are closer to 2.9 million

Keep in mind these are estimates but since they are coming from guys who actually make money from this sort of thing I figure they are a hell of a lot more accurate than the op's lie of 1.2 million.

Edited by Jett-Rinn

I actually agreed with quite a bit aside from the "See you Pandaside" sentiment. WoW is just as bad and it's had seven years to fix its shortcomings.

I would actually commend EA on the fact that they're banning people for being tools. Blizzard allows people to abuse, berate, *****, unreasonably votekick others, moan and complain free of consequence because they don't want to lose subs by punishing people or deleting posts. As a result, the community is complete and utter crap, and a lot of the reason that these forums and the game are just as difficult to wade through as WoW (thanks, defectors).

They are "NOW NOW NOW!" people like you. Case in point, I got into my first Black Talon group, was super excited. You know what happened? The entire group *****ed at me for not skipping the story and dialogue. I only see this getting worse because all of you ADD people want speedruns for gear or whatever. There are already "LFM Hammer, SKIP" messages going on in general. Bioware *had* to foresee this.

It seems like only bad MMOs like FFXIV are free of all you instant gratification people. Maybe I'll give that another shot. Hope those of you who are not utter and complete douchebags enjoy the game. The story driven content is awesome and a breath of fresh air as long as other players aren't abusing you for not skipping content.

Edited by Clumsypolarbear

However, that was before and including WoW and the mmo landscape has changed considerably since then.

This game has launched with less major bugs than City of Heroes, World of Warcraft, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, (all of which I got to beta test and was part of the launch), Star Wars Galaxies, Aion's american release (I know nothing of it's actual release), Final Fantasy 12, Pirates of the Burning Sea, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Vanguard Saga of Heroes and Rift. Those are only MMORPGs I have experience with at launch.

This game is also better than Tabula Rasa was the one day I spent playing that.

What am I missing? Eve? Superhero Squad Online?

I will admit DCUniverse Online had fewer issues on launch day than this game. And that's another one I beta tested and was there for launch. And one of the major launch day bugs got fixed that first week.

But then that game got KILLED by Sony's security breach.

Edited by SnoggyMack

If we are gonna talk bout problems here , my prios would ;

1: No combat log

2: Huuuge load times in between zones. I even get kicked cuz of load time to warzones , before i enter it lol.

3: Insane low fps on some ok configs. Unplayable even.

4: No rewards for world pvp , yes i killed ppl from opposite faction , but for what ? Only for fun ? .

I Agree with all 4 of these points, and at least i know these will be fixed or changed for the better.

READ FIRST: I posted this yesterday as well, but the SWTOR team locked it because they said I was talking too much about "canceling my account" and not enough on actual feedback, despite there being 2 sentences of me just saying, "Sorry, I will not be subbing next month." They are locking ALL threads that give the game a negative image because everyone is unsubbing, and they know if people read these posts they will also consider. This game is dying already, and they have to censor us now. My last post was randomly closed, not even locked, it literally was deleted from the forums. I took out the 2 sentences about my canceling my account, so they couldn't "lock" it, so instead they flat out deleted the entire thing. The thread DISAPPEARED. No doubt this one will be locked soon, so know this players of SWTOR, the game is dying and they know it, they are taking away the right to rant! Read the entire post fast before they close it for no reason again. I'll see you all panda-side.

Now, here is the original post-

I waited for this game for a long time. I really tried to like it, I kept telling myself it will get better it will get better. It won't, and even if some things change for the better, I am playing RIGHT NOW aren't I? and I want the experience to be enjoyable RIGHT NOW.

Note- when i compare anything to other mmo's, dont say "o go back to wow if it was so good." Im just comparing it so you can better understand what I'm talking about, so stop QQing all over the post. Remember, to each his own. This is MY opinion, and I'm entitled to it, though most of this stuff is one-sided and cant be argued against.

Overall, this game is NOT an mmo. It's a single player RPG with minimum mmo content in it to call it an mmorpg, solely to make money.

-The light and dark side choices are useless. I always wanted to do different choices both dark and light, but in order for it to actual be useful (barely as it is), I have to pick either ALL dark or ALL light choices. This game was supposed to be built on how I control my destiny, yet it rewards the mainstream path and leaves variability to rot

-No chat bubbles. Enough said. And stop commenting that it's an easy fix, because you look like an idiot. If it was an easy fix, it would have been fixed in beta, let alone now after weeks after launch.

-The fact that there are different "instances" for everywhere and everything. If I join a group with someone, I usually have to travel to their "instance" or world pretty much to see and do stuff with them. It's pretty much an entire different server with combined chat functions. Completely destroys a big portion of the social aspect of MMO's. And even worse, you have to wait 30 minutes to switch again to a different instance. So if I have friends or another group to go to, sorry I have to wait 30 minutes.

-PvP is broken, and CANNOT be repaired, at least for a year or two. Mixing all lvls together in warzones?!?!?! ***? Yah balance our health and damage of our moves, but do you honestly think as a lvl 19 I have enough spells to take on a lvl 38 we'll say who has cc's, stuns, and many pew pew moves? I pretty sure whoever thought of this system must have been on something.

-The actual warzones BLOW. Ok huttball is cool at first, but gets old TOO fast. alderran is sooo bad. SO bad. Its small first off, and all u do is aoe and fight around the flag points in one giant mass of people running around in one area.

-The planets r mostly small. its like if earth was a planet, the entire zone would be the size of upstate new york. you call that a planet? there are a FEW fairly sized planets, but u fly by them quickly and never see them again.

-The planets themselves, however small they are, are SO poorly designed and have no open space. The mountains and different environmental terrains make it so I follow a linear path to wherever my quest is. No openness at all. In wow, the zones were so open and I felt free to go wherever, I had breathing space. In this game, it doesn't feel real at all, feels like they wanted to use less memory space so they restriced the environment of the planets, as if they weren't small in the first place.

-The auction house or whatever its called is just a mess. You can't even search for anything. You have to go through of a huge list of detailed options to identify EXACTLY what you are looking for before you can even type anything. If I want to see the prices for something I'm going to sell, I'm not going to spend 5 minutes going through a list to find that out

-operations and flashpoints are so glitched. So many bugs that I feel like its still beta

-the amount of bugs in general, like i said above, they didnt spend anytime at all to fix them

-No option for macros. This can be easily fixed as well, but who knows how long until it will be, if chat bubbles haven't even been implemented

-when you quit the game, it sometimes freezes up and doesnt quit. This has happened on both my high-def gaming i7 laptop and my desktop. It's a hassle to press cntrl+alt+delete and have to wait for the game to be forced quit

-Worst customer service I have EVER seen in my life. Their emails take over 5 days to respond, and the phone lines are even worse. When you call them, a MAJORITY of the time you will here, "Lines are too busy, call again later" and then it hangs up on you. ONE time I got lucky and it put me in que. Guess how long I waited? Over two hours. TWO GODDAM HOURS. No joke, after 121 minutes of leaving the phone on the speaker, I was like **** this and hung up. Didn't even get my problem solved. The reasoning for this will be explained in the next problem below, so read on

-Ques for both getting to the game and the actual site. Wait, the actual site? Since when does a website have a que? And no, don't even think about saying, "its because a lot of people play the game," No. The servers just blow. Only ~1.5 million players currently play the game, so if your site/servers can't handle THAT, then that's just sad. Vanilla wow had ques too, but it was only about 5-10 mins MAX. And that was only for the actual game. It's so sad to even say that a website has que problem, and the fact that it's not because there are a lot of people going on it makes things worse.

-No social aspect to game. The chat is soo annoying. More in aion but also a bit in wow, you could customize your chat so you have for example, on tab for general chat, one for only regular chatting with people around you, one tab for party chat, one for guild, or you could even mix a tab to have like guild and party chat. In this, all you have is one social tab and one combat tab. The social chat is filled with the General [barrens] chat of people randomly talking about stuff, so a lot of times you miss people who try and talk to you. Its already hard enough to talk without chat bubbles, this makes it near impossible.

-When you target someone and you use a spell, it follows them wherever they go, so you cant kite people. If your a melee character and are running around say a ranged dps, they will ALWAYS hit you with the spell/attack because the character auto locks on you while your are casting/charging, so it will turn on its own in the same spot and if the enemy goes behind you, it turns around on its own. Horrible for melee characters

-Some moves you have to wait until the animation is finished before you can actually do anything else. For example, if you are a sith inquisitor, you have to wait for the character to actually move his hands in a dumb motion to cast Static Barrier before I can cast another spell. In pvp and sticky pve situations, it really is the difference between life and death.

-Certain/Numerous buggy things in the interface. One is when I right click on a name in the chat to whisper or do an action do, it doesn't work often times and I have to click a bunch of times before it works. It's really annoying when the general chat is going through so fast.

-Inspecting is so hard to get to, you have to right click the character, then scroll to Other Actions, and then go to the drop down list to actually get to it. Inspect is one of the most used actions from player to player, so why is it so hard to get to? People arent standing still most of the time, they are moving, so taking a long time to get to a command that only works when they are next to you is so dumb.

-Ships. No they arent YOUR own ship. You just go inside, and watch a 5 second animation of light speed to another planet, then your out. They should have had like mini games or something for ships, or allowed people to go in your ships. you could have even decorated the inside of your ship in different ways or had at least some sort of customization besides the unnoticed gear that you attach for space battles. Had multiplayer interactions/stuff u know? Even runescape had player owned houses where other people could come inside and do lots of fun stuff in.

-Space combat was just another addition they added for it to look good so people buy the game, but then see it is such a joke. Its like a cheap rip off of Star Fox. you go in a linear path shooting stuff. Like, if you ever played super smash bros, you know when you beat the 1p part, at the end your the gunner of a fake ship or something and you shoot the names of the people as they go by in space? Kind of like a playable credits. Thats pretty much the same thing as space combat in swtor.smh

-crafting is HORRENDOUS. You dont even craft, your companions do. I could get max lvl stats in all my crew skills by standing in one spot for hours. You don't do anything, you just send your companion off to gather stuff, then send em off again to make stuff out of what they gathered.

-Companions ALWAYS get in the way. Everytime I run into someone I need to talk to, my companion for some reason ALWAYS has to go right in front of me and block me from being able to press the character. No, I dont want to ****in talk to ur ugly face every goddam minute khem, Get the **** out of my way.

-Voice acting and visual customization: The thing they spent the most time and money on, voice acting, and its not even that great. At first, yes its pretty good, but thats only because its new and you havent seen any other mmo with this depth of voice acting. but after a while, you notice the same voices from everyone. Not only that, but a lot of your own replies are the same. "This is beneath me Ill do it" and corny lines like that are frequently used in the EXACT same tone. And visual customization is even worse. In aion, the customization for your characters was the best I've ever seen in my life. It's the exact opposite in this game. You see a lot of familiar faces in different NPC's that you interact with. Only difference is one might have a mustache while the other doesn't.

Now, I know in the future, SOME of these things MIGHT be fixed, probably not even fully. But like I said in the beginning, I'm playing this game now. I'm lvling and experiencing the game NOW. I don't want to wait until some of these major issues are fixed to fully enjoy the game. Sorry BioWare, you should have sticked with what you were actually good at, single player RPGs. You can have the $60 I paid for the game as a donation for actually attempting to make an mmo.

Looks like its pandas for me...peace

Later, enjoy your Panda's and 12yr olds.

Saddens me to read this OP. I have spent the last 2 weeks trying desperately to get the game installed and am on my 3rd attempt from scratch today (6hrs remaining).

Seems to me that BW released this game far too early...............

This is the sort of thing that scares me.

Try the game, make up your own mind (and seriously after two weeks contact customer support, I had this game installed in about 6 hours total and that's with my terrible Internet)

Haha, everything he complained about he compared to other games that had years to polish. Id like to see what this guy had to say about WoW, or "Runescape" when they both first started. Seriously, get real, the game launched like 9 days ago and already theres fewer issues than any other game launch in history. Not to mention its more well rounded... No, WoW did not start out with Battlegrounds, No "Chat bubbles", in fact that took FOREVER to add... it also barely started out with working instances. No, runescape didnt start out with player housing. No SWG didnt start out with deco options, or any kind of ship building or decorating.

-THIS ALL CAME LATER, **** and stop complaining. BTW i didnt even read all of this, the first 2 sentences of the first 3 paragraphs was enough for me.

So I made this new car for you, don't mind that it has no seat belts, has an 8 track instead of a CD player, no air conditioner, no emergency break, and no blinkers because hey the 1908 model t ford didn't have those either, why compare the car to the new ones when we can compare it to an older one?

Also Rift had less bugs during BETA.

If you did do any research, some of the things you mention are public and have been so for a very long time. The bugs/content balance is in full swing and Bioware will have to take priorities on what gets done.

Anything else you think is lacking or "broken" comes from your opinion and cannot be based on fact.

If this is something you do not enjoy, find something you that will make you happy. You cannot always have your cake and eat it too.

Edited by silverdanta

Later, enjoy your Panda's and 12yr olds.

LOL it's funny how SWToR can't compete with WoW now, according to most, yet in a few months its committing seppuku with it's panda launch. Glorious!

Edited by Swirly

So I made this new car for you, don't mind that it has no seat belts, has an 8 track instead of a CD player, no air conditioner, no emergency break, and no blinkers because hey the 1908 model t ford didn't have those either, why compare the car to the new ones when we can compare it to an older one?

You should probably compare a 2011 Mercedes to a 2004 Mercedes if you're going to make that analogy.

This game demolishes any and all forms of gaming entertainment available in 1908. The MMORPG genre was just not that well done 103 years ago.

One of my biggest Frustrations in the game is the User Interface. It needs to have an option to be scaled down.

The Quickslot Bar(s) needs to have "sets" like other MMORPGs. For example Tab 1 is my PVE set and Tab 2 is my healing set of skills, etc.

For this game however, Tabs 1-4 are not separate. Unless I have to do some .ini tweaking? But I don't want to do that. Also when PVPing the right Quickslot bar is covered by the map.

Before I go to healer mode I have to Rearrange my Healing skills to the 1-0 Quickslot bars (for easier healing). In other MMOs all I have to do is click the tab up or down and I'm all set.

You should probably compare a 2011 Mercedes to a 2004 Mercedes if you're going to make that analogy.

This game demolishes any and all forms of gaming entertainment available in 1908. The MMORPG genre was just not that well done 103 years ago.

Actually his analogy is far better than yours. 1908 in the history of cars is in about the same location as 2004 in the history of MMO's.

MMO's have changed much more rapidly in the last 7 years than cars have.

Why do people think we care if they gona cancel their subs or not...

I don't know, I don't care, but I do care that BioWare removes threads such as this one that contains no flamatory material, only solid criticism of a game that still has many flaws.

I'm not canceling, but the reason this thread is getting so much attention is that Bioware continually for all the wrong reasons keep closing it. Let the OP vent. At least his criticism is constructive (most of it).