The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What's the point of 5 different sets?

bahudson

Just like the title says. I for the life of me cannot understand the point of having five different sets to work towards, when only one or two per class are worthwhile. It seems unnecessarily convoluted. So here's what I propose. (I know it won't be implemented at this point but it's worth a shot):

-Nix the five different sets. Per class, have 1 set that is for PVE, and 1 set that's for PVP. (Different set bonuses, the PVP set will have that sweet sweet e x p e r t i s e, etc.)

-Keep the tactical items, since that looks like it's gonna be major. Nix the amplifiers, though. Those seem like useless RNG.

Honestly, it will make people have more fun in the game, and if there is a steady stream of content incoming, and I'm guessing there is, more people will be ready for the new content, without having to worry about grinding endlessly.

Edited by bahudson

If *your* choice is that you prefer to have no choice to keep it simple, just grind to get one generic set that might fit for all your dps toons, since its why these sets are for. Actually some of these choices are actually better than some class sets, so many people may use these regardless.

Some people like the customization and choices, and have fun min-maxing all their stats and gear, they have their options, you have yours, win-win.

When they changed the skill trees for set abilities, they killed customization and diversity of builds. SWTOR was lacking in that regard compared to other games. I'm happy that we see all those choices coming soon.

You say you pvp, would you rather see everybody with the same uniform sets and bonuses, or see a bit more diversity and possibly be surprised or challenged outside of your comfort zone? Or surprise other players yourself with a well chosen extra effect they couldn't predict?

I like your idea of having specific "expertise" or valor -related sets for pvp.

Edited by jambalayabungee

So, I kind of get where you're coming from, but I think you're missing the point. People that are min/maxing ARE using the same sets. There's no difference from one fully min/maxed sniper to another, for example, other than skill. The only bit of customization we have is the skill trees. That's fine.

What should happen is for us to have 1 expertise set of gear for PVP, and one set for PVE w/out expertise. Also, changing the disciplines up a little more by adding a new ability/whatever else.

Edit: When I say "one set" I mean one per class/spec, not one universal set for every DPS/heal/tank. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear.

Edited by bahudson

I didn't see min / max that way, as a more equal way to judge skill by having the same base. Make sense. At some point it make people rely less on gear than skill, that's a valid point.

The way i saw it, the gear bonuses / stats allocations ... these options are different tools, and you can optimize your class the best you can depending of the situation . Is it more of a PVE mindset? my own mindset maybe :p

(Ideally the options would have to be interesting tho, there is still work to be done here for all the sets to be useful / relevant :p)

So yeah, agree to Disagree

I'm sure there is a lot of people that feels like you tho.

You are right than when we will have to actually *grind* for these sets it would be pretty frustrating if there is a tons of those, and reducing the number of sets to the most popular ones might help.

I feel the bigger issue right now is the lack of competitive DPS boosts on class-specific sets.

Inasmuch as healing and/or tanking sets go, the general set bonuses are okay (not amazing but not terrible)

Inasmuch as DPS sets go... nothing compares to the Berserker set at the moment which is a damn travesty.

Edit: And with only 7 possible set pieces and sets giving the desired effects at 6 pieces we can't "mix and match" as we were led to believe.

More sets are fine by me if we have lower numbers of pieces required for the bonus. i.e. if Berserker was a 6piece, but tactician (increases dps by 1%, +1 stack TA) was a 2piece then I could also toss in toxic haze refunds TA cost and that might approach similar levels of DPS gain.

But please, just get rid of the berserker set altogether, its just too good for other sets to compete with.

Edited by Iymurra

If *your* choice is that you prefer to have no choice to keep it simple, just grind to get one generic set that might fit for all your dps toons, since its why these sets are for. Actually some of these choices are actually better than some class sets, so many people may use these regardless.

Some people like the customization and choices, and have fun min-maxing all their stats and gear, they have their options, you have yours, win-win.

When they changed the skill trees for set abilities, they killed customization and diversity of builds. SWTOR was lacking in that regard compared to other games. I'm happy that we see all those choices coming soon.

You say you pvp, would you rather see everybody with the same uniform sets and bonuses, or see a bit more diversity and possibly be surprised or challenged outside of your comfort zone? Or surprise other players yourself with a well chosen extra effect they couldn't predict?

I like your idea of having specific "expertise" or valor -related sets for pvp.

Isn't that the point of tacticals and amps though? 5 different sets of gear is just going to cause problems.