The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Mercenary Ability, Tactical Item, and Set Bonus Feedback

EricMusco

you cant blame them for not knowing that though, who actually uses it due to heat issues? :)

You know, once in a blue moon, i.e. every 1m43s, when thermal sensor overrides comes off CD. /sigh /sadpanda

LOL

Edited by Randor

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, once in a blue moon, i.e. every 1m43s, when thermal sensor overrides comes off CD. /sigh /sadpanda

LOL

i actually find a lot of sneaky uses for it in pvp, but i think some heat adjustments to skills like that could benefit us as much as anything else, would be like getting new skills to just be able to actually use them more

Correct! With your regular rotation, that set means you would basically have a consistent 10% crit buff during any fight. That, coupled with the quicker stack build for supercharge gas (which, remember, you build stacks with tracer during a fight, but takes a while because you're clicking other abiities too), is promising. If the stack build can approach activation on CD (every 8 seconds), that means a constant 10% armor penetration buff and 1-3% alacrity buff.... and most importantly........ a 10 heat vent every 8 secs. That's sounds pretty tasty to me!

All that said, we won't know until PTS drops. Much excite! lol

The only time in Rotation where this Buff is "harder" to keep up is in IO execute Phase. In 5.x I use Missile Blast and Fusion Missile as fillers, because they benefit from sub 30%, I think FM outdamages PS in Execute Phase. Given that you do that, you build only one Stack with that obligatory PS in the rotation. So, if RNGsus manages not to give you the Set Bonus proc stack, you only get one Stack every 12 seconds or so. Long story short, this Set Bonus for me changes the way I play in Execute Phase, as I have to watch for these Supercharge Procs and decide if I have to use PS or FM to keep that Bonus up. In all other cases, this Set Bonus seems to fit perfectly in the IO way of playing...

I am also exited about testing "Sweeping Carnage". Doing a full channel of sweeping Carnage does more Damage than the Dot damage (the initial hit), so it could also be a Single target DPS Boost. But I don't think that Sweeping Carnage refreshes the 45 sec Buffs... Over all, I think Energizer will be a lot better for IO (also for Arsenal, but they have other very interesting options), especially with that new Set Bonus.

Looking forward!

In fact since were discussing it, as an official feedback point can we please get some heat reduction on certain skills that are effectively left out of the rotation not usable due to cost being too high?

Thinks like Fusion missile, missile blast, etc... costing as much as double other skills that we can use?

Not getting new skills is fine with me, but it would be hugely beneficial to open up some we cant use much today in return?

Feel free to add more to the list guys that im not thinking off of the top of my head but i think adding more skills as practically usable would be of more benefit than adding new ones.

Edited by Floplag

In fact since were discussing it, as an official feedback point can we please get some heat reduction on certain skills that are effectively left out of the rotation not usable due to cost being too high?

Thinks like Fusion missile, missile blast, etc... costing as much as double other skills that we can use?

Not getting new skills is fine with me, but it would be hugely beneficial to open up some we cant use much today in return?

Feel free to add more to the list guys that im not thinking off of the top of my head but i think adding more skills as practically usable would be of more benefit than adding new ones.

Seriously,

i don't get these heat issues feedback... I am maining IO merc in NIM Content since 2.0, and yes, it is a difficult spec to learn. But when you think about it, you have a standard rotation with very decent DPS, and ramping Options which are i.m.o. very intuitive (one Heat intensive Filler= one Heat Cooldown, Vent Heat as Wild Card Cooldown).

I cannot speak much for High end PvP, but I personally love IO Merc Performance in PvE...

Hey folks,

New Ability - In lieu of a new ability, Mercenaries will now have two charges on Rocket Out

This is actually not bad. Mercs don't need more defensive/offensive abilities, they are decent as they are. This will actually help them get out of tight spots in raids. Often times you need fast movement abilities in some fights and this will help with that.

Set Bonuses

• Critical Charge - (4) Gaining a stack of Supercharge increases your critical chance by 10% for 10 seconds. This effect can only occur once every 10 seconds. (6) Doing damage or healing an ally has a 5% chance to build a Supercharge and can only happen once per 3 seconds.
  • Power Step - (4) Activating Power Shot, Tracer Missile or Rapid Scan increases the critical chance of your next Power Shot, Tracer Missile or Rapid Scan by 3%. Stacks up to 5 times. - (6) Power Shot, Tracer Missile and Rapid Scan grant a stack of Power Step, stacking up to 5 times. At 5 stacks, your next Power Shot, Tracer Missile or Rapid Scan is more effective and costs no Heat.

These seem extremely good. So mercs are getting a almost permanent 10% crit or 15% crit to their filler. Meanwhile assassins get Shadowcraft where using phantom stride out of stealth gives them 1 crit ability (once ever 1.15 minute best case scenario). Hopefully more 'balance' takes place....

Seriously,

i don't get these heat issues feedback... I am maining IO merc in NIM Content since 2.0, and yes, it is a difficult spec to learn. But when you think about it, you have a standard rotation with very decent DPS, and ramping Options which are i.m.o. very intuitive (one Heat intensive Filler= one Heat Cooldown, Vent Heat as Wild Card Cooldown).

I cannot speak much for High end PvP, but I personally love IO Merc Performance in PvE...

I'm personally only referencing Arsenal, not IO. Update 5.3 back in 2017 when they "balanced" (i.e. nerfed) Arsenal/Gunnery DPS, they took away 5% of Blazing Bolts damage, AND upped the heat cost to 20. This may not seem like a lot, but when you're hitting 40-42 APM on the spec, it's something that comes into play.

IO is the highest parsing ranged dps currently - and they have good burst possibilities too so if you need the dps to clear nim content learn IO it is totally fair. Arsenal has great DCDs and survivability so if they buff their damage to even to middle of the pack again they be overtuned.

This is actually not bad. Mercs don't need more defensive/offensive abilities, they are decent as they are. This will actually help them get out of tight spots in raids. Often times you need fast movement abilities in some fights and this will help with that.

These seem extremely good. So mercs are getting a almost permanent 10% crit or 15% crit to their filler. Meanwhile assassins get Shadowcraft where using phantom stride out of stealth gives them 1 crit ability (once ever 1.15 minute best case scenario). Hopefully more 'balance' takes place....

I don't share your view on the 2 charge Rocket Out (more than 20m in raids just doesn't make sense, there's no need, especially for those that are ranged already), but totally with you on the crit package seeming extremely good! When Arsenal got nerfed in 2017, Target Tracking, the crit bonus of heatseekers, priming shot and rail shot, dropped from 30% to 15%. This was a massive hit to our overall DPS numbers, especially in regards to sustainability. If this set means we can effectively be back up to 25%............... now we're looking much better.

I don't share your view on the 2 charge Rocket Out (more than 20m in raids just doesn't make sense, there's no need, especially for those that are ranged already), but totally with you on the crit package seeming extremely good! When Arsenal got nerfed in 2017, Target Tracking, the crit bonus of heatseekers, priming shot and rail shot, dropped from 30% to 15%. This was a massive hit to our overall DPS numbers, especially in regards to sustainability. If this set means we can effectively be back up to 25%............... now we're looking much better.

I don't think you are understanding the purpose of 2 charges. It's not there to use it twice in a row to get away 40m. It's to have 2 gap closing ability in a short period of time. Some very few examples below:

• In a Vet Queen run, you get 2 red circles in succession, use 1 rocket out each time. (I have seen merc/commando have problems when they get two circles in a row).
  • Izax missile phase, use 2x rocket out for 2 phases and hydraulic for another.
  • Dread council - kiting Raptus.

As for DPS, Arsenal is not supposed to have the highest dps parse. As a RANGED burst dps that can off-heal and have great defensive cooldowns, it is in the perfect place. Arsenal is good enough to clear any HM raids. If you are doing NiM raids, then you better learn IO. I know many raiders who won't take you seriously at top end raids unless you know how to play IO.

In 90% of the gameplay Arsenal is fine as it is and can clear everything. Only in the very top end, you may need to swap to IO if you want to put in some extra numbers. And if you ARE playing at the very top end, than you better be used to not only swapping between one spec to another, but even swapping classes when the fight calls for it. Which is fine, because no one spec should be the king in every single content.

I don't think you are understanding the purpose of 2 charges. It's not there to use it twice in a row to get away 40m. It's to have 2 gap closing ability in a short period of time. Some very few examples below:

• In a Vet Queen run, you get 2 red circles in succession, use 1 rocket out each time. (I have seen merc/commando have problems when they get two circles in a row).

As for DPS, Arsenal is not supposed to have the highest dps parse. As a RANGED burst dps that can off-heal and have great defensive cooldowns, it is in the perfect place. Arsenal is good enough to clear any HM raids. If you are doing NiM raids, then you better learn IO. I know many raiders who won't take you seriously at top end raids unless you know how to play IO.

In 90% of the gameplay Arsenal is fine as it is and can clear everything. Only in the very top end, you may need to swap to IO if you want to put in some extra numbers. And if you ARE playing at the very top end, than you better be used to not only swapping between one spec to another, but even swapping classes when the fight calls for it. Which is fine, because no one spec should be the king in every single content.

I totally agree with what you said about Rocket out, it has it's moments in PvE Content, and we get a new OP, who knows...

I play Arsenal in two Encounters: The Commanders in Temple and Draxus. For Brontes, Terror Boss 3 and 5 I would consider playing it, but the IO Burst Potential is so high, that it appears more viable to me. But I think with this Tactical that makes Heatseeker do Splash damage, Arsenal could move in the right Direction by adding more Burst AoE Potential to this Class. Nevertheless, I think that Arsenal performs too bad on single Target. It needs a littlebit love, perhaps that Priming Shot Burn is what we searching for. But IO needs to be the better Spec, simply because it is harder to play.

40m is just an example, as are your encounters.

Vet Queen: 2 red circles in succession is: A. not difficult to maneuver as ranged, and B. Such a small sample size

Izax: Not sure where you would absolutely need this, unless you're in the wrong spot at the wrong time.

Kiting Raptus: With Thrill, this is a non-issue and easy to handle with zero rocket out and only HO.

Again, it's nice to have, but we're getting the short end of the stick in comparison to others.

Also again, not asking to be a top DPS, but parsing close to 8% below IO is ridiculous. And I fully disagree: The mere fact that you HAVE to dump Arsenal for NiM shows that it's underpowered. Sure you should absolutely be swapping combat proficiencies on a regular basis, but discarding 25% of the games disciplines for NiM content isn't balanced, IMO.

Again, it's nice to have, but we're getting the short end of the stick in comparison to others.

The problem is that you're only looking at this from a pve perspective. Balance is primarily a pvp issue. Arsenal mercs will likely still be the best dps class in pvp in 6.0. You're not getting the short end of anything.

The problem is that you're only looking at this from a pve perspective. Balance is primarily a pvp issue. Arsenal mercs will likely still be the best dps class in pvp in 6.0. You're not getting the short end of anything.

Bingo. You nailed it. Exactly what I said in my first post on the matter, it's probably great for PVP. That's only a portion the game though. Unfortunately, it's something I don't do often, so my input really is from the PVE angle only.

So yeah, I gotta stand by my worthless from the PVE angle.

Which is why they really should be coming out with PVE or PVP specific tacticals. Tacticals that work in PVP but not in PVE, or tacts that work in Operations, but nowhere else. Unfortunately, area specific items like that don't seem to be in the cards.

A lot of it screams heat issues (Surging Powers additional charge on Power Surge, Power Cycles no CD on 2 casted abilities, etc.)

I'm curious: what casted abilities are you thinking of here (dps specs)? Arsenal uses 1 casted ability , IO uses 2 (PS, SS), but none of these abilities have a cooldown anyway. I guess there's also Fusion missile, but I don't really see a benefit of using 2 FM for either spec.

Unless I'm missunderstanding what this tactical does, I'm 95% sure that this is aimed at pvp, because double/tripple concussion missile is the only usefull thing I can think of for this tactical.

I'm curious: what casted abilities are you thinking of here (dps specs)? Arsenal uses 1 casted ability , IO uses 2 (PS, SS), but none of these abilities have a cooldown anyway. I guess there's also Fusion missile, but I don't really see a benefit of using 2 FM for either spec.

Unless I'm missunderstanding what this tactical does, I'm 95% sure that this is aimed at pvp, because double/tripple concussion missile is the only usefull thing I can think of for this tactical.

There's quite a few in the Arsenal priority system. In the regular rotation , Electro Net has a 1m18s CD, heatseekers @ 13s, and TSO @ 1m44s. AOE rotation, FM @17s as you said, and Death from Above @ 39s.

TM does come into play with the "Surging Power" set bonus though, because that gives a 3rd power surge charge, if you're speced into 2 already. And remember, Power Surge ability wipes out activation times. One of the biggest lag times in the rotation is when you're having to build that 3rd stack of tracer lock to get to 5 for Rail Shot, but man.... the heat. lol

I just need to get in there to test it. Arsenal is already on the bloody edge when it comes to heat management, anything that's an instacast/no CD just screams overheating.

Unless you use your middle PS charge for TSO, erasing the heat from #3......

Eric, get PTS back up right meow! lol

There's quite a few in the Arsenal priority system. In the regular rotation , Electro Net has a 1m18s CD, heatseekers @ 13s, and TSO @ 1m44s. AOE rotation, FM @17s as you said, and Death from Above @ 39s.

TM does come into play with the "Surging Power" set bonus though, because that gives a 3rd power surge charge, if you're speced into 2 already. And remember, Power Surge ability wipes out activation times. One of the biggest lag times in the rotation is when you're having to build that 3rd stack of tracer lock to get to 5 for Rail Shot, but man.... the heat. lol

I just need to get in there to test it. Arsenal is already on the bloody edge when it comes to heat management, anything that's an instacast/no CD just screams overheating.

Unless you use your middle PS charge for TSO, erasing the heat from #3......

Eric, get PTS back up right meow! lol

You realize that Power Surge only works on casts? So Electro Net, Heatseekers are not gonna work. Same for DfA, it's a channel, not a cast..

Surging set (extra power surge set bonus):

I thought the extra power surge would be great for Medic, since you could squeeze a 4th insta-healing hand in a supercharge window ( the instant from emergency, + the 2 charges from the utility )

....but with the 4 pieces bonus aimed at dpses / irrelevant in that case, its a bit less tempting.

No cd ability w Power surge tactical:

I dont see for what I could use that tbh. Other than that insta-concussion in pvp, like some ppl pointed out.

On IO, Im afraid it would mess the rotation's timing / heat management. We will see in the testing . Im so bummed out the pts got delayed tho, cleared my w-e for this >_< ah well.

Also, I vouch for a more directional Rocket Out instead of the 2 charges like somebody proposed , or a backward + forward move, so you could jet out, and come back into range if needed :p Its a personal preference tho, I just hate the backward movement in general :p

Edited by jambalayabungee

You realize that Power Surge only works on casts? So Electro Net, Heatseekers are not gonna work. Same for DfA, it's a channel, not a cast..

Yes, but the "Power Cycle" tactical adds cooldown reset TO Power Surge, which means yes, Electro Net and Heatseekers would be viable, because you wouldn't have to wait for the respective 1m18s & 13s CDs.

Also applies to DFA, because while it has a 3s channel time, Power Surge stays active for 14s. Again, only for AOE situations, but absolutely viable......... if the heat can be managed.

Yes, but the "Power Cycle" tactical adds cooldown reset TO Power Surge, which means yes, Electro Net and Heatseekers would be viable, because you wouldn't have to wait for the respective 1m18s & 13s CDs.

Also applies to DFA, because while it has a 3s channel time, Power Surge stays active for 14s. Again, only for AOE situations, but absolutely viable......... if the heat can be managed.

Well, that's not how I understand the description of the tactical. As far as I understand it, only the abilitiy you actually use a stack of power surge on (i.e. a casted ability) gets a cooldown reset. That doesn't aply to any other ability you use while power surge is active. At least that's how I read that.

Honestly, very excited about a lot of these things.

The healing tacs all could all potentially be rad and could bring merc heals up to par in ranked pvp which would make me a real happy camper.

2 rocket outs its pretty chill for me. Can't count how many times i've gotten snagged on some random texture. A 2nd charge would fix that and just be incredibly useful when i'm not screwing up haha

Am i getting you right, Randor, you say that this tactical can reset the CD of ANY ability if it is used with Power Surge?

I bet that is not the case, it works only on casts, meaning on Abilities affected by the original effect of Power Surge.

Otherwise, Mercs would be OP as **** in PvE and even more in PvE. Poor players could eat 3 Heatseekers in a row...

If this tactical grants this, Merc will be broken

Edited by xXSistros

Hey folks,

We are going to be bringing PTS offline shortly to deploy a new patch. This patch will do some rebalancing for our scaling tech in Story mode content. It has been made a bit more difficult than it is currently.

-eric

More difficult? My normal average damage rating is 5K +/- and HP is 135K +/- and now with the new gear Damage rating is 3K and HP is 101K. So, when Onslaught goes live will the new gear so be seriously nerfed and the old gear be the same as it was? Doesn't make sense, or will you nerf all gear respectively and make fights nearly impossible to get through? Anyone still have 5K+ damage rating and 135K+ HP?

Arsenal

• Hot Shot - Fusion Missile spreads Heat Signature. Heatseeker Missiles fire additional missiles to nearby targets affected by Heat Signature.

That sounds ridiculously fun spreading a max of 24 missiles across 8 targets. But fusion missile builds a lot of heat, can we get a heat reduction on fusion missile for this tactical item like 10 less or even 5 less? IO's fusion missile dot spread does this by reducing it to 15 heat.