Mercenary Ability, Tactical Item, and Set Bonus Feedback

EricMusco

Well, that's not how I understand the description of the tactical. As far as I understand it, only the abilitiy you actually use a stack of power surge on (i.e. a casted ability) gets a cooldown reset. That doesn't aply to any other ability you use while power surge is active. At least that's how I read that.

Let’s read it again:

Power Cycle - When you use an ability with Power Surge, that ability is not put on cooldown

The fact that they purposely call out the ability being used with PS in the first part, then specifically calls in out in the second part in reference to the CD, says to me that it’s the ABILITY that you use with PS and not PS itself.

3 uses of PS=3 abilities = 3 no CD. That’s how I read it.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am i getting you right, Randor, you say that this tactical can reset the CD of ANY ability if it is used with Power Surge?

I bet that is not the case, it works only on casts, meaning on Abilities affected by the original effect of Power Surge.

Otherwise, Mercs would be OP as **** in PvE and even more in PvE. Poor players could eat 3 Heatseekers in a row...

If this tactical grants this, Merc will be broken

That’s how it reads to me. Let’s read it once again:

Power Cycle - When you use an ability with Power Surge, that ability is not put on cooldown

Now PS currently only affects cast times. This tactical refers to the “ability” being used with PS will get the CD reset. If PS is 1 or 3 charges, it doesn’t matter because it applies to every single one. That’s how I read it.

And I would agree that would be OP.... except for the fact that there’s no heat mitigation here, so the first rip of 3 abilities would overheat you, or push you into the 40+ range and you would have to rapid shots to bring it back.

xXSistros, mrwayan, I DO see where you're coming from though: Since the current PS charges only get used/triggered by casted abilities, that this would continue to be the case with Power Cycle, only adding the cooldown drop to the casted abilities. What I'm anticipating is that the CD effect would also trigger the PS charge, like the cast does. The reason I think that is the way they worded the Power Cycle, "when you use an ability with power surge". That reads to me ANY ability. If they said something like "when an ability uses a power charge", that would be a different story. Hope that makes sense.

I might be completely wrong. I guess we'll know next week. That being said, if it IS only on the casted items, then yep, pretty much only good for 3x concussion missile in PVP. PVE would mean only FM are Tracer, and at a 40s CD for PS, that won't be worth it.

Now PS currently only affects cast times. This tactical refers to the “ability” being used with PS will get the CD reset. If PS is 1 or 3 charges, it doesn’t matter because it applies to every single one. That’s how I read it.

And I would agree that would be OP.... except for the fact that there’s no heat mitigation here, so the first rip of 3 abilities would overheat you, or push you into the 40+ range and you would have to rapid shots to bring it back.

To me it seems like you need to consume a Power Surge stack. That can be done only by casts.

This was the very first thing I wanted to test on the PTS, so sad Bioware could not get the PTS ready in time for the weekend. I especially wanted to test this with the Power Overrides Utility, which gives Power Surge an extra charge. Meaning potentially up to four abilities with no cooldown. But I cannot imagine that Bioware would knowingly allow mercs to start using Blazing Bolts four/five times in a row.

Even if it is just abilities with cast time, though, this could potentially still mean up to four Concussion Missiles with zero activation time and zero heat (Heat Damping Utility) with maybe a fifth normal Concussion Missile waiting to be used. And this could happen every 38.3 seconds (on Live 16% alacrity and Power Overrides Utility reduces the cooldown on both Power Surge and Concussion Missile to 38.3). I can't see Bioware knowingly this either - the salty tears of PVPers would turn Ossus into Waterworld.

So, in short, no matter how we use it in PTS I think the fun will be short-lived as I can in no way foresee this Power Surge thing making it to Live as currently presented - I expect both the Utility and the Tactical to be reworked.

As always, just my two cents.

Edited by dracmor
Correcton

That sounds ridiculously fun spreading a max of 24 missiles across 8 targets. But fusion missile builds a lot of heat, can we get a heat reduction on fusion missile for this tactical item like 10 less or even 5 less? IO's fusion missile dot spread does this by reducing it to 15 heat.

This

As it stand Fusion is just too costly and if its filling a similar role in both specs now the cost should be comparable

This was the very first thing I wanted to test on the PTS, so sad Bioware could not get the PTS ready in time for the weekend. I especially wanted to test this with the Power Overrides Utility, which gives Power Surge an extra charge. Meaning potentially up to four abilities with no cooldown. But I cannot imagine that Bioware would knowingly allow mercs to start using Blazing Bolts four/five times in a row.

Even if it is just abilities with cast time, though, this could potentially still mean up to four Concussion Missiles with zero activation time and zero heat (Heat Damping Utility) with maybe a fifth normal Concussion Missile waiting to be used. And this could happen every 38.3 seconds (on Live 16% alacrity and Power Overrides Utility reduces the cooldown on both Power Surge and Concussion Missile to 38.3). I can't see Bioware knowingly this either - the salty tears of PVPers would turn Ossus into Waterworld.

So, in short, no matter how we use it in PTS I think the fun will be short-lived as I can in no way foresee this Power Surge thing making it to Live as currently presented - I expect both the Utility and the Tactical to be reworked.

As always, just my two cents.

Yup, pretty much exactly nailed it here.

Im enthusiastic about those changes, but as much as all those sets look promising and full of potential, I wonder how they will impact IO rotations, how we could weave those effects around it, or would we have to change the rotation so its more efficient?

I mean,its fun to try stuffs, but IO dont have a lot of room to improvise

Im still a new IO adept tho, Im curious to know what do you IO mercs veteran / rotationCrafters hanging here think about that ?

I thought Power Step looked like a great option first, now , Im not sure.

Except from the fact than a free PS falling in a low heat cycle would allow us to squeeze an extra ability instead of a rs, is there a way to optimise that rotation even more (energy wise ) around those procs?

I guess we would have to see it the %crit bonus and dmg makes a bit difference. Im not crazy about how it basically force you to use PS every chance you have just to get the better of the set, and that dont seems to synergize so well with the tacticals except Energizer?

Opener: dots-mag-unload-(super) electro-td-mag-PS-mag

1)dots – PS- (TSO)-unload-PS-td-mag-PS-mag

2)dots- PS – unload – PS – td-mag-PS-mag

3)dots –(VH)- PS-unload-PS-td-mag-PS-mag

4)dots-FM-(super)-unload-rs- td-mag-PS-mag

5)dots rs- unload-rs-td-mag-PS-mag

6)dots-rs-unload-electro-td-mag-PS-mag

repeat 1-6

(does the 6th free PS count toward the next 5 x stacks or not? )

What about the Magnetic and Sweeper Tacticals in themselves, how they could be used rotationally so its worth it?

Im dreaming of neverending dot spread and / or refresh cycle, but yeah, it wont probably happen lol

I guess the safe choice would be Critical Charge and Energizer like someone said, where you could just do your rotation pretty much the same, with added passive benefits?

I guess we will see when the PTS will be online .... Maybe tomorrow afternoon, who know :p

EDIT: removed external references

Edited by jambalayabungee
last edit ! made an error

Im enthusiastic about those changes, but as much as all those sets look promising and full of potential, I wonder how they will impact IO rotations, how we could weave those effects around it, or would we have to change the rotation so its more efficient?

I mean,its fun to try stuffs, but IO dont have a lot of room to improvise

Im still a new IO adept tho, Im curious to know what do you IO mercs veteran / rotationCrafters hanging here think about that ?

I thought Power Step looked like a great option first, now , Im not sure.

Except from the fact than a free PS falling in a low heat cycle would allow us to squeeze an extra ability instead of a rs, is there a way to optimise that rotation even more (energy wise ) around those procs?

I guess we would have to see it the %crit bonus and dmg makes a bit difference. Im not crazy about how it basically force you to use PS every chance you have just to get the better of the set, and that dont seems to synergize so well with the tacticals except Energizer?

Opener: dots-mag-unload-(super) electro-td-mag-PS-mag

1)dots – PS- (TSO)-unload-PS-td-mag-PS-mag

2)dots- PS – unload – PS – td-mag-PS-mag

3)dots –(VH)- PS-unload-PS-td-mag-PS-mag

4)dots-FM-(super)-unload-rs- td-mag-PS-mag

5)dots rs- unload-rs-td-mag-PS-mag

6)dots-rs-unload-electro-td-mag-PS-mag

repeat 1-6

(does the 6th free PS count toward the next 5 x stacks or not? )

What about the Magnetic and Sweeper Tacticals in themselves, how they could be used rotationally so its worth it?

Im dreaming of neverending dot spread and / or refresh cycle, but yeah, it wont probably happen lol

I guess the safe choice would be Critical Charge and Energizer like someone said, where you could just do your rotation pretty much the same, with added passive benefits?

I guess we will see when the PTS will be online .... Maybe tomorrow afternoon, who know :p

BTW:

A bit ago Power Step was datamined as : " Power Shot and Tracer Missile reduce the Heat of the Power Shot or Tracer Missile by 2 , stacks 3 times" . Unless it still gives that effect and we don't know it (how great would that be ! ) wouldnt it have been a better bonus for a sustained build than a free PS every 6 times?

As you already mentioned, I think that Critical Charge is the Thing for IO. If the Power Step Stacks don't scale like hell, I think they are more Arsenal or even Bodyguard-oriented... Furthermore, when you ramped and use your normal Rotation, you have only one PS, which is placed between your two heat refunding Mag shots, so the nullified Heat Cost isn't that strong. Critical Charge is permanently in effect.

The Sweeping Carnage Tactical gives you the Opportunity to keep your Dots up for a very long time (permanent, if the 45sec Debuffs are refreshed too), but I don't see that this will outdamage the doubled Supercharged Gas. The only use that comes to my mind is Master Blaster Final Phase, where you can refresh four dots with one DfA...

The Problem is that DfA and SB don't spread the dots, and so I think the Use of this Tactical is limited. But with the addition that the chosen AOE Ability also ticks the Dot damage, it could be a nice thing to make Mercenaries more suitable as add-sweepers, i.e. for Tyth.

I think, and I like that, that for IO, our whole playstyle stays nearly the same as it was, with many Possibilities to improve and adapt to special situations.

Hello, quick impressions for Arsenal Merc:

1. So I tried the Power Set (Notorious Set Bonus plus Power Override Utility). Both Fusion Missile and Concussion Missile went on cooldown on the second use. Both Tracer Missile and Rapid Scan could be activated instantly four times in a row. Intended? Bug? As it stands, this might be used in PVP to get more than one instant CC but most likely I think it would used by Bodyguard (healing) as a way to possibly burst heal. As Arsenal DPS, it might be a little burst with the four TM (and the heat wasn't so bad), but I honestly don't know how useful this kind of burst will be in either PVP or PVE. Maybe if higher mobility is needed then this will allow a more controlled way to fire instant TM and move about. So I'm undecided on this set, as it's usefulness seems highly situational and the (4) bonus - 10% armor penetration for a measly 6 seconds that can only happen once per minute - is very weak. [side note for the curious: any other ability that was used, such as Death from Above or Blazing Bolts, etc did go on cooldown as expected - these sets only affected cast time abilities].

2. So it appears that alacrity and/or any other bonuses do not apply to the time of a Recharge. i.e. if you use both charges of rocket out, it is 20 seconds (and not the 17 second cooldown I had showing) to gain a charge back. If you use both charges of Power Surge it is a full minute to gain a charge back. If this is Working As Intended, it will be a bit confusing to some players to see a cooldown listed for an ability but the recharge time is different. Maybe add recharge time to the description of the ability? Otherwise this bug still exists.

3. Why can't an Arsenal Merc use Energized Charges Tactical? Especially as this would seem to have good synergy with the Concentrated Fire bonus set?

4. Both the Concentrated Fire and Notorious sets have lackluster (6) bonuses. For each of these as Arsenal DPS if I picked them I would take the (4) bonus and then take a (2) bonus that had +2% accuracy. Speaking of which, why are there no bonuses to accuracy in the merc sets?

5. Concentrated Fire set: when watching my stats my crit chance went up by only 2% but my crit multiplier did go up by 10%. This may be just a display bug.

6. I couldn't tell if the Hunter Killer (4) piece bonus was actually working or how large an area it covered, as there was no animation or tooltip to indicate the size of the personal stealth protection.

7. Turns out I loved the Thermal Nuclear Fusion. But it was not consistent - the signature would spread fine but the heatseeker missiles seem to need to hit targets in front of you (not one that may be burning to your side or behind you) and there seemed to be a distance limit to them as well (and not just hit any burning target). On the plus side, if the targets were grouped together enough you can just fire TM at each target and the HM will still duplicate to multiple targets - i.e. it is not necessarily dependent on the Fusion Missile. I don't know if this is intended or not but I liked this.

8. I also liked the tacticals Burning Bright and Primed Ignition - both a nice little boost to DPS, although I am not sure that the Primed Ignition is scaling correctly (seemed less effective on Ossus than on Czerka). But combined with the bonus sets I think this will be a small improvement in Arsenal DPS, although I am not sure it will be enough to boost the class up from the bottom of the heap. I'll leave that to the theory crafters, number crunchers and players that actively parse all the time (there are a lot of choices to go through when including General Sets, so I don't envy the person who wants to figure out BiS).

9. If for some reason you struggle with heat issues or just don't like using Vent Heat every so often, you can use the A Breath of Fresh Air and weave some Hammer Shots into your rotation (at the cost of some dps I'm sure) and never have to use it or you can use Cool Your Jets (vent 20 heat every 20 seconds); that is, if you don't mind flinging all over the map. I do think this can be a good escape measure, though, for both IO and Bodyguard if you find yourself overheated with Vent Heat on cooldown. Also, shouldn't Kolto Missile count towards A Breath of Fresh Air?

Anyway, overall I enjoyed//liked the tacticals but I think the set bonuses need to be modified.

As always, just my two cents. Thanks for listening!

Concentrated fire set doesn't do anything(4set). 10% crit change.

PS:

2% you did get from mastery relic or from enhancement it self.

10% crit multiplier is from advance targeting and not from bonus set.

Edited by aleksm

The Sweeping Carnage Tactical gives you the Opportunity to keep your Dots up for a very long time (permanent, if the 45sec Debuffs are refreshed too)

Yes they are :)

and no, Power Step dont ramp up like crazy, Yeah the supercharge set is a winner so far :)

There is a 4 pieces set that gives 2 charges of TSO, it works the first time you use it, after it doesnt :/ I guess its bugged?

Playing on PTS is hard, english isn t my mothers tongue ;).

I played with an Arsenal Mercenary, Madness Sith Sorcerer and Engeneer Sniper.

With my Mercenary i finished the Ossus Quest line but can t found Lord Izar on the fleet.

I used the Primed Ignition

Priming shot causes its target to burn. Blazing Bolts, Heatseker Missiles and Traser Missile all tick its damage.

Enemy burn and get damage, nothing special.

German version of the PTS not available.

So, here is my PVE IO Mercenary Feedback:

First of all, great job! Playing with the new Sets and Tacticals feels very well and I had much fun to test it.

1. The concentrated Fire Set in my opinion is the thing for IO mercs. Though I don't always like RNG (and RNG doesn't always like me...), I like it in this set, because the RNG forces you to have a better awareness of your stacks, which now can stack much faster/slower. Well designed set Bonus.

Critics: I coudn't see the 10% crit chance rise from the 4 part Bonus... Is that Buggy?

2. Tacticals:

I like it that all IO Merc Tacticals are stronger for the class than the General ones, like Greased lightning.

I like the IO Tacticals A LOT! In my opinion, they impact IO in different, but very reasonable ways.

2.1. I am in love with energized charge! It synergizes perfectly with the concentrated Fire Set Bonus. I don't have a problem with the very high uptime of what actually is meant to be an offensive cooldown (In one try I had 49%).

First, we are a dot spec with a good rotational Burst window, and so that long uptime fits well, I think. Second, Dot Marauders Berserc has a very frequent use, if i remember right...

I think that Concentrated Fire+Energized Charge will be my Build in 90% of the Raids, because it let's you play IO just like I play it now, but stronger.

2.2. Actually, Continuous Fire does more damage on a dummy! it outdpses Energized Charge with ca. 200 dps.

I couldn't test the AoE Potential yet, but I estimate that the AoE use of this will be rather rare. If you are the only Addsweeper in Tyth HC and NIM, this Tactical could be big. As I already mentioned, It also does the highest DPS from all Tacticals, but makes the spec even harder in Raid environment. You have to run the Rotation as fast as possible, to get both dots refreshed. If you have to move one Time, the dot refresh gets in Danger... Perhaps you yould tweak the Rotation a bit to make that easier, like Sweeping Blasters - Filler - UL - Filler - TD - MS - PS - Sweep - MS - Filler and so on, but it only moves the difficulty to another Position in the rotation. Nevertheless, with practice, Continuous fire could become a very powerful yet difficult Bolster to IO Merc. I would consider it in Asa Nim 1 and 4, A+V 3 (in the arena) and 6, SF 1, 3 and 4 (perhaps not if you are mine runner), SP 1, Temple 1, Rav 2, 3 and 4

GotM 1 and 2.

The explosive Dart tactical is interesting, as it alters the way I manage heat to fit more of those bad boys in, but it cannot keep up with the two others.

To conclude, very well designed! If you have to balance this class, do it by i.e. reducing the time of supercharged gas (not doubled, but prolonged by x, make DfA and Sweeping Blasters tick the dots of X % of their damage, but don't alter the mechanics! I think they fit very well. By the way, looking at the numbers of other classes, I don't think that we need to be nerfed...

I am very exited about the new expansion, and, I have to admit it, a bit relieved, that you didn't mess up my Baby. Well Done! :)

You have to run the Rotation as fast as possible, to get both dots refreshed. If you have to move one Time, the dot refresh gets in Danger... Perhaps you yould tweak the Rotation a bit to make that easier, like Sweeping Blasters - Filler - UL - Filler - TD - MS - PS - Sweep - MS - Filler and so on, but it only moves the difficulty to another Position in the rotation. Nevertheless, with practice, Continuous fire could become a very powerful yet difficult Bolster to IO Merc.

Fiddled a bit trying to adjust a rotation with it, i admit it would take some practice to get right, but if you only want the dot refresh/tick it works even if you clip SW a bit...there is something to be done here:)

Hey folks,

Let's talk about what Spoils of War has in store for the Mercenary! Below you will find the Mercenary's new ability, the set bonuses that are planned for them, and a list of their new Tactical items. You may see bonuses which refer to charges. We are introducing new tech in Onslaught which will allow abilities to have multiple charges, meaning you can use them more then once (per charge) and the cooldown will simply add a charge up to the maximum.

Keep in mind that all of this is subject to change

New Ability - In lieu of a new ability, Mercenaries will now have two charges on Rocket Out

Set Bonuses

These bonuses will likely have the high end of piece requirements, such as requiring 4 or 6 pieces. The smaller piece bonuses will be more passive in nature (stat benefits, etc).

• Critical Charge - (4) Gaining a stack of Supercharge increases your critical chance by 10% for 10 seconds. This effect can only occur once every 10 seconds. (6) Doing damage or healing an ally has a 5% chance to build a Supercharge and can only happen once per 3 seconds.
  • Power Step - (4) Activating Power Shot, Tracer Missile or Rapid Scan increases the critical chance of your next Power Shot, Tracer Missile or Rapid Scan by 3%. Stacks up to 5 times. - (6) Power Shot, Tracer Missile and Rapid Scan grant a stack of Power Step, stacking up to 5 times. At 5 stacks, your next Power Shot, Tracer Missile or Rapid Scan is more effective and costs no Heat.
  • Surging Power - (4) Power Surge grant Precision Targeting, increases armor penetration by 10% for 6 seconds. This effect cannot occur more than once peryh minute. (6) Power Surge gets an additional charge
  • Technical Medic - (4) Onboard AED becomes instant-cast. (6) Chaff Flare heals all allies around you.

Tactical Items

This a new item slot coming in Onslaught. You can only wear one Tactical Item at a time.

Mercenary

• Cool Your Jets - Rocket Out vents 20 heat and immobilzes enemies around you for 1 second.
  • Jettison - Jet Boost increases your movement speed by 50% for 3 seconds. For each enemy you hit with Jet Boost the cooldown of Hydraulic Overrides reduced by 3 seconds.
  • Missile Back - Missile Blast knocks its target back and refunds some heat.
  • Power Cycle - When you use an ability with Power Surge, that ability is not put on cooldown.

Arsenal

• Hot Shot - Fusion Missile spreads Heat Signature. Heatseeker Missiles fire additional missiles to nearby targets affected by Heat Signature.
  • Priming Bolts - Dealing damage with Blazing Bolts increases the damage of your next Priming Shot, stacking up to 8 times to 100%.
  • Burning Shot - Priming Shot causes its target to burn. Blazing Bolts, Heatseeker Missiles, and Tracer Missile all tick its damage.

Innovative Ordnance

• Sweeping Carnage - Sweeping Blasters and Death From Above refresh and tick your Incendiary Missile burn and Serrated Shot bleed. This effect can only occur once every 2.5 seconds.
  • Magnetic Trigger - Explosive Dart now remains dormant on the target for 12 seconds. Mag Shot detonates it, dealing double its standard damage to the primary target.
  • Energzier - The duration of Supercharge Gas and Supercharged Burn are doubled.

Bodyguard

• Supercharged Burst - Kolto Missile grants a stack of Supercharge Gas for each target it hits. Supercharged Gas heals all nearby allies for the same amount as Kolto Missile's initial heal when activated. Kolto Missile's cooldown is extended by 4 seconds.
  • Alacrity Scan - Rapid Scan can be cast while moving and heals an additional 10%.
  • Kolto Time - Kolto Shot applies a lingering heal over time effect to its target.

As a note, if you are a Commando player, you can expect to see these set bonuses mirrored for you as well, they are still in process.

Let us know your thoughts! Here are the types of feedback we are looking for. XX seems too strong or too weak. XX Set Bonus combined with XX Tactical seems too strong or too weak. I wish there was a Set Bonus or Tactical that had a specific effect or modified a specific ability not listed. Be as specific as possible in your feedback.

-eric

PTS additions / name changes :

for reference!

(New == old)

SETS:

• Concentrated Fire set == Critical Charge set
  • Apex Predator set == Power Step set
  • Notorious set == Surging Power set

SETS THAT ARE NOT ON THE LIST:

• Game Plan : (2) +2% mastery (4) : When your Kolto counter health's monitor is triggered for the first time, it deals damage back to the enemy who damaged you (Kolto Overload reflect ! )

• Hunter Killer: (2) +2% mastery (4) Stealth Scan also apply stealth protection to you, scanning a small area around you

• Squad Leader : (2) + 2% mastery (4) Whenever you take damage with Energy Shield, a weaker shield is applied to nearby allies

• Woads Instinct: (2) + 2% mastery (4) Thermal Sensor Override gain 2 charges

TACTICALS:

IO :

• Continuous Fire == Sweeping Carnage
  • Energized Charges == Energizer
  • Magnetized Shrapnel == Magnetic Trigger

Arsenal:

• Primed Ignition == Burning Shot
  • Thermal Nuclear Fusion == Hot Shot
  • Burning bright == Priming Bolts

bodyguard:

• Rocket Fuels Vapors == Supercharged burst
  • Running Rapid Restoration == Alacrity Scan
  • Hp-5 Dart Device == Kolto Time

formatting

- BTW why do Mercs only have +mastery on their sets, but no %accuracy, %alac or %crit?

Also, thumbs up to whoever wrote the quotes on the BH tacticals, I laughed at a couple :p

• Flying Fists : "Now i can punch your face without approaching you - Tarro Blood "
  • HP-5 device: "There is something engraved to the side : "simonsays",next to a crudely drawn angry ewok" (what?)
  • Power Cycle: "How is that up already ? " - An anonymous VIctim" XD

Suggestion for this one:

Sweeping Carnage - Sweeping Blasters and Death From Above refresh and tick your Incendiary Missile burn and Serrated Shot bleed. This effect can only occur once every 2.5 seconds.

It's kind of silly that 2 AOE's refresh a single target DOT, so I think this needs more.

I would change it to this:

Sweeping Carnage - Sweeping Blasters and Death From Above refresh and tick your Incendiary Missile burn and Serrated Shot bleed, and spread burn and bleed to other targets hit with Sweeping shot and Death from Above, so long as a target already under the effects of that status effect are within the radius of Death from Above or Sweeping Blasters. This effect can only occur once every 2.5 seconds.

The idea here is to hit one target with the status effect, and then use Sweeping Blasters and Death from above to spread those status effects to anyone in the radius, so long as at least one target has those effects within the radius (to avoid spreading the effect to someone nowhere near an affected target for instance).

Suggestion for this one:

Sweeping Carnage - Sweeping Blasters and Death From Above refresh and tick your Incendiary Missile burn and Serrated Shot bleed. This effect can only occur once every 2.5 seconds.

It's kind of silly that 2 AOE's refresh a single target DOT, so I think this needs more.

I would change it to this:

Sweeping Carnage - Sweeping Blasters and Death From Above refresh and tick your Incendiary Missile burn and Serrated Shot bleed, and spread burn and bleed to other targets hit with Sweeping shot and Death from Above, so long as a target already under the effects of that status effect are within the radius of Death from Above or Sweeping Blasters. This effect can only occur once every 2.5 seconds.

The idea here is to hit one target with the status effect, and then use Sweeping Blasters and Death from above to spread those status effects to anyone in the radius, so long as at least one target has those effects within the radius (to avoid spreading the effect to someone nowhere near an affected target for instance).

That is way too strong. This would make IO Mercs Single Target Mobility AND AoE MONSTERS. Adds would die like flies if the AoEs spread dots. I like the Idea of the Tactical just like it is. They become Single Target Rotational, with some, but not overwhelming AoE Potential. I really like the Balance of this Tactical, and also the difficulty it brings.

That is way too strong. This would make IO Mercs Single Target Mobility AND AoE MONSTERS. Adds would die like flies if the AoEs spread dots. I like the Idea of the Tactical just like it is. They become Single Target Rotational, with some, but not overwhelming AoE Potential. I really like the Balance of this Tactical, and also the difficulty it brings.

Except DFA isn't that strong, the ticks from the burn and the bleed aren't that strong, and only sweeping blasters is strong if you allocate a point into it with the elective passives.

In other words I think you're freaking out over the function without actually looking at the numbers. What I suggested wood turn IO mercs into a good build for clearing trash in operations and flashpoints. And then would also allow them to contribute to single Target.

Also do not forget the amount of threat this would generate. An Innovative Ordnance Merc would need to be careful how they use this otherwise they will aggro everything onto themselves.

It's not so crazy like you make it out to be.

I will also add an addendum to my previous post.

If Innovative Ordnance is meant to be very strong single Target, then this tactical of forcing them to use Mayo he's in order to keep the. Of burn and bleed going punishes them bye forcing them to use things which could increase the amount of threat they generate to a number of mobs without allowing them the means to take them down.

It's a poor design. Better to switch out sweeping blasters and death from above for two single target attacks in the Innovative Ordnance rotation.

If the whole idea of tacticals is to allow some fun variance of gameplay oh, this would not fit the bill. Either strengthen the single target attack or allow this Tactical to change the play style of innovative Ordnance to one of an expert trash clearer in flashpoints and operations.

I will also add an addendum to my previous post.

If Innovative Ordnance is meant to be very strong single Target, then this tactical of forcing them to use Mayo he's in order to keep the. Of burn and bleed going punishes them bye forcing them to use things which could increase the amount of threat they generate to a number of mobs without allowing them the means to take them down.

It's a poor design. Better to switch out sweeping blasters and death from above for two single target attacks in the Innovative Ordnance rotation.

If the whole idea of tacticals is to allow some fun variance of gameplay oh, this would not fit the bill. Either strengthen the single target attack or allow this Tactical to change the play style of innovative Ordnance to one of an expert trash clearer in flashpoints and operations.

You're making a point. This tactical, as it is now, won't turn IO into a viable AoE spec. But I think that isn't even the purpose of this tactical. And you are right, if BW wants this tactical to be an AoE tactical, they failed, because it doen't solve the biggest Problem Mercs have witch many Aoe heavy Bosses: The speed of the Dot-Spread.

But if you see this tactical as a single target one (I parsed highest DPS with this Tactical), it makes Sense. The tactical gives you more Single Target dps, the small possibility of "free AoE" for the cost of Movement, if you channel through completely (I may be wrong here... as far as I tested, in non heat ramping situations the full channel of SB does more damage then SB (cancelled)+Autoshot). What this tactical also does is offering more opportunities for the 6 piece Set Bonus, making a proc almost guaranteed in the Channel Window.)

If this tactical is meant to be an AoE Booster, it needs even more Changes to it. Because if you simply add Spread to SW and DfA, FM and Dart become obsolete. SB is faster, ticks Dot dmg and consumes less heat (if used only one gcd and then canceled). Furthermore, this would give the mercenary the ability to spread dots in Situations, which were not available before (A+E Countermeasures, DD Challenge Raptus, Olok Adds...). Merc would suddendly have the easiest dot spread of all rdd classes (Sniper is target Bound, radius 5m and Sorc is CD bound). SB could become a nice little filler that spreads all your dots to an add nearby, which you can repeat and also chainspread.

I think the difficulty of the IO Dot spread fits well in the Playstyle of IO. It must be done deliberately and foresighting to gain the most out of it... I mean, we have nice Single Target DPS, The best mobility in the Game, a superb Defensive arsenal and one of the best and strongest Burst windows of all Dot classes (Jugg isn't a Dot spec, change my mind ;)) Yes Bioware, "play like you want", But why not let Arsenal be the Merc AoE spec? That would give us a reason to switch disciplines according to the encounter.

Long story short, I simply don't think that Dot merc needs to be made an AoE spec. Arsenal should become a better Trash sweeper, that would be great.

You're making a point. This tactical, as it is now, won't turn IO into a viable AoE spec. But I think that isn't even the purpose of this tactical. And you are right, if BW wants this tactical to be an AoE tactical, they failed, because it doen't solve the biggest Problem Mercs have witch many Aoe heavy Bosses: The speed of the Dot-Spread.

But if you see this tactical as a single target one (I parsed highest DPS with this Tactical), it makes Sense. The tactical gives you more Single Target dps, the small possibility of "free AoE" for the cost of Movement, if you channel through completely (I may be wrong here... as far as I tested, in non heat ramping situations the full channel of SB does more damage then SB (cancelled)+Autoshot). What this tactical also does is offering more opportunities for the 6 piece Set Bonus, making a proc almost guaranteed in the Channel Window.)

If this tactical is meant to be an AoE Booster, it needs even more Changes to it. Because if you simply add Spread to SW and DfA, FM and Dart become obsolete. SB is faster, ticks Dot dmg and consumes less heat (if used only one gcd and then canceled). Furthermore, this would give the mercenary the ability to spread dots in Situations, which were not available before (A+E Countermeasures, DD Challenge Raptus, Olok Adds...). Merc would suddendly have the easiest dot spread of all rdd classes (Sniper is target Bound, radius 5m and Sorc is CD bound). SB could become a nice little filler that spreads all your dots to an add nearby, which you can repeat and also chainspread.

I think the difficulty of the IO Dot spread fits well in the Playstyle of IO. It must be done deliberately and foresighting to gain the most out of it... I mean, we have nice Single Target DPS, The best mobility in the Game, a superb Defensive arsenal and one of the best and strongest Burst windows of all Dot classes (Jugg isn't a Dot spec, change my mind ;)) Yes Bioware, "play like you want", But why not let Arsenal be the Merc AoE spec? That would give us a reason to switch disciplines according to the encounter.

Long story short, I simply don't think that Dot merc needs to be made an AoE spec. Arsenal should become a better Trash sweeper, that would be great.

Here's my question: is there an AOE spec right now that effectively spreads DOTs for Flashpoints and Ops? Something that is really good at clearing trash?

Juggs, PTs and Maros. But compare it to the other RDPS: The strongest AoE Sniper is Marksmanship, the strongest AoE Sorc is lightning. Most PvE Encounters don't have that many Big adds that have to be collected and bombed. The Key to great AoE is the fast damage output (Vengeful Slam, Chain Lightning, Asa AoE Spam, Supressive Fire) Fusion missile is the opposite of that.

I am playing bodyguard. I have played combat medic for years, I really enjoy this healing class.

I am very excited to see supercharge gas become more relevant to bodyguard mercs/combat medics, I always thought supercharge gas was too slow in gaining charges.

Tactical items:

Rocket fuel vapors:

Good tactical item. I enjoyed the way this mitigates the loss of the old set bonus, I was apprehensive about losing the extra time on super charge gas, but not anymore. Making supercharge gas easier to recharge makes it a more useful resource, a welcome change overall.

Running rapid restoration:

Useful tactical, anything that makes bodyguard less static is a good. Disadvantages may include rapid heat generation if used a lot. I would take utilities that allowed better energy management with this tactical item such as gyroscopic alignment jets.

HP-5 dart device:

Really liked this tactical, it helped change up bodyguard. Used this in pvp and noticed a hps increase. Good to maintain hps whilst being stunned, I would definitely use this. I would like to add I think this would be even more useful if it interacted with kolto shell somehow, maybe when it ticks it triggers a charge of kolto shell out of combat.

Set bonus:

Critical charge/concentrated fire:

Good set, makes supercharge gas more useful through increased charges generation, kind of think that it could be 10% chance up from 5% chance. I couldn't see a crit increase with this set, I am not sure if it is working properly.

Powerstep:

This set is good for all mercs. Probably suits arsenal more than the other specs. I would use this in conjunction with running rapid restoration to save on a small amount of heat generation. Would be far more useful if each stack reduces energy cost by 20% and at 5 stacks cost is free. This would make this set highly sough after.

Surging power/Notorious set:

Not suited to bodyguard. I think that there are better set choices as a damage dealer. Remove the 1 minute restriction and it will be more useful in tight spots and therefore more sough after.

Technical medic:

I would use this set as arsenal or IO. I would not use this set as bodyguard. The heals are too infrequent and small to be of any use to a bodyguard healer. In addition casting on board AED instantly is not that useful given that on board AED has a 5 minute cool down. I am disappointed for this set, I would have hoped for better to replace pre onslaught set bonuses.

Game plan set:

Not that useful, I hit an enemy for 20k upon activation, given that kolto overload has a 3 min CD its not hugely useful.

Hunterkiller:

Didnt work.

Squad leader:

I would pair it with energy rebounder to get more use out of it.

Woad instinct:

good armor set. I would expect this set to be easily obtained, a good starter set.

The set bonuses are hit and miss. I like some and see little point in others. I like the tactical items, I feel more thought has gone into the tactical items than the set bonuses. I think that a lot of people will be missing their old set bonuses, and some of the replacement sets will provide little consolation.