Please Reconsider New Expansion Art If It Will Be The New Loading Screen Art

arunav

As noted by others on Reddit, there is a steep drop in quality for the new expansion's "poster" art from prior expansions or even the recent Ossus update, which included many of the same characters but looked much more polished and professional.

This is the first thing players see when logging into the game, if it will be used as the loading screen as in the past, and it is also seen often while in the game, when changing areas.

While it's possible to switch the loading screen art if bitraider is disabled, I think most players don't actually do so and are stuck with whatever default loading screen there is in the game at the time, as bitraider seems to override any new loading screen art a player might want to use (like the 1.0 one, which had the nicest art in my personal opinion).

6.0 deserves a better looking loading screen than what was revealed as the expansion "poster". Please try and change it before the launch.

Edited by arunav

Yeah it's kind of embarrassing. I get the impression Bioware Austin is not in good shape. They are doing a good job so far of hiding behind PR, but if that poster is any representation of the kind of quality assurance we can expect from Onslaught, this game is probably going to hemorrhage its remaining players and goodwill fast, on Onslaught's release.

Even though I personally don't think it is that big of a deal, but I must agree that the revealed loading screen art is lacking. The background and effects are totally fine, but the faces seem very off with inconsistent lighting. Many focus on Tau Idair because she is in the center of the scene and it appears as if they tried to make her face less "horse" like, but I especially think Malgus' face looks really weird. Edited by Phazonfreak

I will have to agree... I know the artist probably worked hard on that, but it feels rushed. I could point out all the things I felt were off with the picture but nah. I don't think we can appeal for a replacement this late though. Probably will just use a custom loading image here /shrug Edited by vianiel

Yeah it's kind of embarrassing. I get the impression Bioware Austin is not in good shape. They are doing a good job so far of hiding behind PR, but if that poster is any representation of the kind of quality assurance we can expect from Onslaught, this game is probably going to hemorrhage its remaining players and goodwill fast, on Onslaught's release.

Well that quality of work is to be expected when you hire "artists" from tumblr, Marvel has been having the same quality problem as well, but those artists come cheap soooo.....

I got really tired of looking at Vaylin for 2 years in the KOTET splash screen. Fingers crossed the splash changes every few months going forward. I don't think the Onslaught splash is that bad, but I don't feel particularly fond of it either. Meh. Edited by Rion_Starkiller

I like the design itself, it's similar to the loadscreens we had in 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0, and even 5.10, but compared to those it lacks polish. You can see it's a collage of single images rather than a seamless poster. Edited by Mubrak

Um, where ya'll seeing this?

PTS and cantina recaps https://vulkk.com/2019/07/21/swtor-san-diego-comic-con-cantina-code-and-onslaught-news/

Edit: either Vulkk tinkered with it, or we have a different (older) version on PTS: https://imgur.com/j9ltDHW

Interesting... XamXam's version has the extra ships but also the overly sharp edges https://mmobits.com/2019/08/04/spoils-of-war-gear-vendor-guide-pts/

Edited by Mubrak

IMO ... it's a reflection of the game that is coming ! It's laid out just the way that they want it.

While it's true that a better lay out could be done .. and perhaps a different 3-D approach to the design... still it is probably what they have in mind. Other wise ... it's unlikely to have been used at all !

A complaint about nothing, other than to complaining about something.. Whatever the art was some would not like it, other will.

Can you honestly say Tau's face doesn't look weirdly outlined and out of place?

I don't see how this is an opinion thing. If you've ever attempted to photoshop one image of style A onto another of style B and make it look like the image of style A belongs, it looks kind of like that.

idk man seems to be a bit of an undertone racist thing going on here. :t_confused:

Oh for God's sake, here we go with the racist BS, or maybe it is anti feminism? It is about crap art, and people expecting more from a AAA gaming company. Leave the PC bs out of it please. No one has even mentioned ANYTHING about color, sex or anything else.

Or may your just trolling, who knows.

So I played around with it a bit cause I wanted to prove a point.

Came up with this:

https://ibb.co/L61Rdkz

Compared to the original:

https://vulkk.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/SWTOR-Onslaught-Keyart.jpg

I dunno if people would actually consider it better, but basically I wanted to make a point about art style. I don't really know artist terminology, but for lack of a better way to put it, SWTOR's newer art style tends to be more of a sketched outline art style than smooth cartoon. And in the original it's like the head was given too much smooth cartoon, making it stand out weirdly from everything else.

So what I did was go into Paint.NET, lasso around to select Tau's head, paste it into a new layer, apply a Pencil Sketch filter on default settings, and then played around with some opacity and layer styles for the new layer, landing on Color Burn and 120 opacity, resulting in the head looking a little more sketched outline like everything else.

Haha, are you sure it's not about the lead singer of Nickelback?

That's what I think it is too. People are just upset that the frontman from Nickelback will not only be included in the artwork but will also be a part of the game. :D

So I played around with it a bit cause I wanted to prove a point.

Came up with this:

https://ibb.co/L61Rdkz

Compared to the original:

https://vulkk.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/SWTOR-Onslaught-Keyart.jpg

I dunno if people would actually consider it better, but basically I wanted to make a point about art style. I don't really know artist terminology, but for lack of a better way to put it, SWTOR's newer art style tends to be more of a sketched outline art style than smooth cartoon. And in the original it's like the head was given too much smooth cartoon, making it stand out weirdly from everything else.

So what I did was go into Paint.NET, lasso around to select Tau's head, paste it into a new layer, apply a Pencil Sketch filter on default settings, and then played around with some opacity and layer styles for the new layer, landing on Color Burn and 120 opacity, resulting in the head looking a little more sketched outline like everything else.

The main problem is the female jedi proportions and line are just so totally off, it screws up the whole image. Her body is down in such and awkward way, and her head doesn't even match the perspective of the body.

The main problem is the female jedi proportions and line are just so totally off, it screws up the whole image. Her body is down in such and awkward way, and her head doesn't even match the perspective of the body.

I agree. The perspective is definitely off. I keep wondering if it's something to do with that cyborg arm. Possibly something about the cyborg arm being slim combined with the proportions of the head giving the impression of a giant head and a tiny arm.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.