The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

If the goal of set bonus is to let players "play their way", swing and a miss so far

ZionHalcyon

...but there is potential here.

Which is why it is good we are testing, but I hope the feedback hits the right ears.

The main issue I see is that the design for the set bonuses is "backwards".

What do I mean? Let me use SIth Sorceror DPS as an example:

Set Bonuses

• Energized Overload - Overload energizes you. Volt Rush deals more damage when you are under the Energize effect.
  • Gathering Storm - Activating Force Speed reduces the cooldown of Polairty Shift by 5 seconds. Using Polarity Shift immediately after extends its duration.

In both cases here, we can see that for the set bonuses to be useful, we are forced to use an opener we might not already use or even WANT to use. To a player, it feels like "we are forced to do something we don't want, to get the effect we do want."

The problem with this is that it kills already steadfast rotations to implement, so people are just going to end up skipping it and never utilizing the set bonuses to their fullest, because of the DPS hit.

So, if the devs want Overload and Force Speed to be used more, then we need something to make them more useful in combat. Alternatively, instead of forcing a skill into the rotation, just swap out force speed and overload for skills that are normally in a rotation.

Now, compare this for a moment to say, what's in the game currently for Arsenal Bounty Hunter:

2-Piece: Heatseeker Missile and Serrated Shot or Demolition Round and Serrated Bolt increase damage dealt by 2% for 15 seconds. Cannot occur more than once every 30 of seconds.

4-Piece: Power Surge or Tech Override's cooldown is reduced by 5 seconds.

6-Piece: Activating Unload and Blazing Bolts or Full Auto and Boltstorm will grant Eliminator's Critical Bonus making your next Heatseeker Missile and Mag Shot or Demolition Round and Mag Bolt critically hit. This effect can only occur once a minute.

Pure damage bonuses, but I want to point out something:

Notice it doesn't say that we have to activate Jet boost or jet out in order to get a DPS bump? Because no one would do that. The set above, makes sense.

That's my gripe with the new set bonuses. They don't make sense from a gameplay perspective.

there are pleanty of useful set bonuses for general class and general

but the specific ones are kind of random and seem like they are geared for pvp

Probably because they don't want to, or are not able to invest the time, and programming needed to just me Tacticals and Set bonuses for just PvE.

I think they wanted to move away from the damage increasing set-bonuses since by just putting random mods and augments in your armor you can be doing enough dps that can make it past the SM-HM mark in 6.0.

I think that they need to work more on the Inquisitor set-bonuses that's for sure. As for using defensive cooldowns for a rotation I assumed that Sorcerers/Assassins were used to doing that as pre-6.0 they used Force Speed in their rotation (might be wrong with that). Perhaps the devs believed that "Oh hey, since you used that in your rotation perhaps you would want extra bonuses to it"

"we are forced to use an opener we might not already use or even WANT to use" from me reading this it seems like you don't want to change up your rotation as most other classes and specs are doing when 6.0 drops.

"then we need something to make them more useful in combat" that's what the set bonuses were supposed to do and frankly Force Speed and Overload were used in PvP/PvE (though super rarely in PvE, which makes this a buff to Overload).

"The problem with this is that it kills already steadfast rotations to implement" I think that was their goal in 6.0, I believe that rotations should be changing every expansion and even sooner.

Edited by UltraFlashStar

I think the problem is that they lack options for players. There needs to be a survability bonus set, dmg bonus set, root bonus set, immunity bonus set, control bonus set etc. Right now it is too limited and too few options.

Since there are 7 effective pieces I am not sure why we have a 6 piece and alternatice 4 piece "full" set breakdown. 1 armor piece will always be superfluous in such a distribution and leads to less builds and flexibility.

Why not have a very powerful full 7 piece set or sets for very focused distribution of buffs/boni -either damage, healing, cc or defense? Also, just from quick testing the current 6 piece sets probably curve/effectiveness only warrant in terms of power being 5 piece sets. So my ideal distribution on the class specific sets would be based on odd numbers rather than even numbers. 1 piece=very minor boost, 3 piece=extra 5 piece = current , 7 piece=uber tier.

This comes from the logic that I feel 1 potential armor slot is not used in either a 6set/1 none set or 4 piece/2piece/1 non set breakdown of the current armor slots.

!Edit: It is also somewhat underwhelming to see that what be are effectively getting currently is one "real" unique bonus per set because having a few items from a set just leads to stat increases, And unique abilities are modified by having the whole set currently. Prior to this already having say 2 pieces modified abilities in a way that made sense for each class. It is like they split one set into many in terms of coming up with ability modifiers in terms of the design work done. Sorry to be a bit pedantic here but that's just how it seems. prior 2 pieces = modify 1 or 2 abilities, 4 pieces = additional ability, 6= a third. Now it is just like 6 full set = modify 1 or 2 abilities at most.

Edited by ottffsse

I think they wanted to move away from the damage increasing set-bonuses since by just putting random mods and augments in your armor you can be doing enough dps that can make it past the SM-HM mark in 6.0.

I think that they need to work more on the Inquisitor set-bonuses that's for sure. As for using defensive cooldowns for a rotation I assumed that Sorcerers/Assassins were used to doing that as pre-6.0 they used Force Speed in their rotation (might be wrong with that). Perhaps the devs believed that "Oh hey, since you used that in your rotation perhaps you would want extra bonuses to it"

"we are forced to use an opener we might not already use or even WANT to use" from me reading this it seems like you don't want to change up your rotation as most other classes and specs are doing when 6.0 drops.

"then we need something to make them more useful in combat" that's what the set bonuses were supposed to do and frankly Force Speed and Overload were used in PvP/PvE (though super rarely in PvE, which makes this a buff to Overload).

"The problem with this is that it kills already steadfast rotations to implement" I think that was their goal in 6.0, I believe that rotations should be changing every expansion and even sooner.

you wouldnt use force speed in any rotation because it breaks the DPS. its usefull for when you wanna get away or have some slow down effect on you but in general you will never use force speed in active combat becausei it break your rotation xD

you wouldnt use force speed in any rotation because it breaks the DPS. its usefull for when you wanna get away or have some slow down effect on you but in general you will never use force speed in active combat becausei it break your rotation xD

We already using it in combat for Lightning Sorcs and have done for 3 years.