Ranged Companion Bug 6.0

MingusPho

Yes...

Hey folks,

One of the things that has come up quite a bit since 5.10 is a number of Companion issues. I posted yesterday letting you know that one of the more prominent issues (ranged companions not attacking) was likely going to be fixed in 6.0. What I wanted to do was make a bit of a bigger post explaining what these issues are, their current status, and when they are likely to be fixed. Let’s dive in.

Ranged Companions Not Attacking

This issue is a bit of an interesting case. The common belief is that this is a bug which was introduced in 5.10. That is understandable since it certainly became more noticeable with that update. However, this issue has actually been around since launch. After the reports we received from 5.10 we began doing a deep dive into what was going on. That is where we discovered a pretty substantial issue with how Companions were built which is causing this to happen. Due to this being an underlying issue with all Companions it requires a larger systemic change then just a standard bug fix which is the reason why the fix is taking so long.

An update from yesterday, I was being conservative in saying that it will be fixed for 6.0. Upon double checking with the team they believe that it may actually make it in before then in 5.10.4 in the summer. This is of course still dependent on testing and verification, but you may see it before 6.0 after all.

Companion Ineffectiveness / Imbalance

One of the other issues that we hear about is that some Companions are ineffective in specific roles or imbalanced compared to other Companions. For 6.0 the team is making a full pass across all Companions to make a variety of updates. Most notably to address this very imbalance, update abilities, and more.

Companions are a critical part of SWTOR and so we take issues with them very seriously. We know that sometimes changes don’t come as quick as you would like but know that we are working to get these types of issues resolved as fast as we can! We thank you for all of the reports around these issues as they were very helpful in isolating the root causes to work towards addressing them. And of course, thank you for your patience as we work to get them resolved.

Thanks everyone!

-eric

Are there plans to have this fixed by 6.0? My ranged comps really don't get used outside of crewskills because of this.

At the risk of sounding like I'm dismissing it as an L2P issue, well, quite frankly, it's an L2P issue. :eek: They have a specific (mis)behaviour that makes just biffing around all over the place in combat harder than normal. Don't do that, then. Move toward where you want to be, and if they don't follow, stick them on passive for a few moments to get them to follow. The active/passive toggle is already bound to a key, but if that key doesn't work for you, bind a different one.

The only companion misbehaviour that I consider obnoxious is Pinhead Malgus the non-healer himself. He has a tendancy to decide that healing me (and himself) is boring, and stops doing it. That said, the last time it happened, I only had problems when he began to not-heal, because the only warning is "Incarnatika was defeated by Obnoxious Jedi Librarian" which happens *after* and *because* he begins to not-heal. (And that, too, is an L2P issue. I knew he does this obnoxious thing, so I should have kept more attention for my health bar.)

Set key binds for companion toolbar slots 1&2(attack and passive). Do not send out companion to attack until you are under 30m from target. These two steps will alleviate some of the problems until it's fixed. Note that companions are programmed to automatically engage, without you ordering them, as soon as you take damage so be mindful of proximity to nearest enemy. Edited by TonyTricicolo

I solve the problem back in 2007, playing a WoW hunter... the little swiggle key besides the 1 key is pet attack, f key is follow.

When I prelaunched with SWToR is 2011, I brought those keybinds with me, no need to rewrite muscle memory. I still wish there was a stay or move to... and macros... our comps ain’t half as useful as my old moonstalker cat named Gato.