Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

So... apparently this game isn't the only one who had post-launch issues...

Sinister-Sith

I'm a prophet.

Yes, you are indeed a prophet. It seriously made me lol when I saw ur post, then the 'not so intelligent' person post what you mentioned RIGHT AFTER YOU.

On topic, I personally have barely had any problems with this launch. I am enjoying the hell out of this game, and I fail to see how all these complainers can seriously have so many problems with this game. It's astounding, really.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And in 20 years MMO's will still be bugged and have problems at launch, thats the way it works, sorry, welcome to the genre. New design years for cars are horribly mared with defects, 2-3 years later the same model will be virtually flaw free and we've been producing automobiles for quite a while now.

Welcome to the real world, enjoy your stay.

Give me a break. They'll never be perfect, but we've already seen FAR smoother launches from much smaller MMO companies than what we've seen in TOR.

WoW also suffered from some distinct problems that do not affect TOR. There were SO MANY people who wanted to play WoW that they literally ran out of boxes on the shelves. (This is one reason WoW's first-week sales are deceptive. There were far more people who wanted to buy the game than there were boxes available.)

Blizzard had to keep opening up new servers on a weekly (sometimes daily) basis to fulfill demand for the game. The game was MUCH more popular than they'd anticipated.

And they weren't cropping the population caps of their servers to a fraction of their capabilities, sharding their world, and relying on instancing and "staggered release" to offset the problems either. It was everyone through the gates all at once. Server technology itself is roughly 20 times more powerful than it was when WoW released, the average player has a PC 20 times more powerful than the clients that played the original WoW, not to mention that the average player has about 5 times more bandwidth and much more stable broadband than was extant back then.

Bioware has so many more technological advantages available to them that are tried and true, and it still hasn't kept them from having a very bumpy launch. Other recent MMO's all had FAR smoother launches than the early MMO's, and, I should add, smoother than the most recent MMO, SWTOR.

Edited by Mannic

Software certainly has changed in this timeframe even if server tech has not and it doesn't change the fact about the mmo scene being totally different. Again, if WoW came out today it would fail horribly. People don't have quite the tolerance for very buggy launches as they used to.

Certain things about mmo launches don't change.....queue times, server instability. Now those things have not really changed much. I don't judge an mmo on those issues. I judge an mmo on how quick they respond and fix the problems. Because there will always be problems at launch. You don't need to justify ToR's launch and compare it to vanilla WoW. ToR's launch was FINE. There is no need to compare whatsoever.

Yes, you are indeed a prophet. It seriously made me lol when I saw ur post, then the 'not so intelligent' person post what you mentioned RIGHT AFTER YOU.

On topic, I personally have barely had any problems with this launch. I am enjoying the hell out of this game, and I fail to see how all these complainers can seriously have so many problems with this game. It's astounding, really.

I'll tell you why, because we pay $15 a month for this garbage!! Come on!!

- The UI is garbage... Diablo 2's UI was better!

- The worlds feel dull and lifeless... FEELS LIKE IM PLAYING A SINGLE PLAYER GAME!!

- PVP Sucks! Seriously... Even though this issue will more-than-likely be fixed in the next month or so, I am still pissed! $150 FOR A CE AND I DONT GET A PERFECT, FLAWLESS GAME!? Well, I never!!

- This game is going to die, even though 1.5 million people played the first day.

- Animations are GARBAGE!!! Looks like a plastic toy!!!

- etc etc etc.

/ entire QQ threads summed up into one

I don't notice many of the problems they detail, but perhaps it's because I'm not exactly looking for them. I just enjoy playing... that's all I know! It's a fantastic game!

Give me a break. They'll never be perfect, but we've already seen FAR smoother launches from much smaller MMO companies than what we've seen in TOR.

WoW also suffered from some distinct problems that do not affect TOR. There were SO MANY people who wanted to play WoW that they literally ran out of boxes on the shelves. They had to keep opening up new servers on a weekly (sometimes daily) basis to fulfill demand for the game. The game was MUCH more popular than they'd anticipated.

And they weren't cropping the population caps of their servers to a fraction of their capabilities, sharding their world, and relying on instancing and "staggered release" to offset the problems either. It was everyone through the gates all at once. Server technology itself is roughly 20 times more powerful than it was when WoW released, the average player has a PC 20 times more powerful than the clients that played the original WoW, not to mention that the average player has about 5 times more bandwidth and much more stable broadband than was extant back then.

Bioware has so many more technological advantages available to them that are tried and true, and it still hasn't kept them from having a very bumpy launch. This is why more recent MMO's all had FAR smoother launches than the early MMO's, and, I should add, smoother than the most recent MMO, SWTOR.

Care to give examples?

And actually, they did. They capped the population by not sending retailers copies for the game for many weeks. They were not prepared to deal with the massive influx of players. I imagine manufacturing played a good part of this as well.

WoW also suffered from some distinct problems that do not affect TOR. There were SO MANY people who wanted to play WoW that they literally ran out of boxes on the shelves. They had to keep opening up new servers on a weekly (sometimes daily) basis to fulfill demand for the game. The game was MUCH more popular than they'd anticipated.

Bioware has so many more technological advantages available to them that are tried and true, and it still hasn't kept them from having a very bumpy launch. Other recent MMO's all had FAR smoother launches than the early MMO's, and, I should add, smoother than the most recent MMO, SWTOR.

Yes and those smaller games have 1/1000th of the TOR population.

I havent had not 1 single problem with the game, so sorry if i sound a bit harsh, but i am a day 1 / 2nd wave early access player and so far the game and game play have been flawless on my end.

Edited by TKMaster

WoW also suffered from some distinct problems that do not affect TOR. There were SO MANY people who wanted to play WoW that they literally ran out of boxes on the shelves. (This is one reason WoW's first-week sales are deceptive. There were far more people who wanted to buy the game than there were boxes available.)

Blizzard had to keep opening up new servers on a weekly (sometimes daily) basis to fulfill demand for the game. The game was MUCH more popular than they'd anticipated.

Heh your signature is very ironic :D

Software certainly has changed in this timeframe even if server tech has not and it doesn't change the fact about the mmo scene being totally different. Again, if WoW came out today it would fail horribly. People don't have quite the tolerance for very buggy launches as they used to.

Certain things about mmo launches don't change.....queue times, server instability. Now those things have not really changed much. I don't judge an mmo on those issues. I judge an mmo on how quick they respond and fix the problems. Because there will always be problems at launch. You don't need to justify ToR's launch and compare it to vanilla WoW. ToR's launch was FINE. There is no need to compare whatsoever.

It's true that certain things about launches don't change.

WoW and a whole bunch of other MMOs have screwed up the server instability. BW had no problem with that.

WoW and a whole bunch of other MMOs have screwed up queue times. BW had no problem with that - the SWTOR queue times were self-imposed in order to prevent server instability.

In the time since launch, 9 days ago, there has been minimal (if any) server instability and BW relaxed server population caps, ending queue times on all but the few most heavily populated servers, and even those are down to 10 minutes or so at peak hours. Completely acceptable.

It looks like BW is constantly addressing issues and listening to and working with player feedback. No, they can't magically fix everything in a day like some people want. Yes, they are listening and fixing things. And something for everyone to keep in mind....just because they haven't fixed something *yet* doesn't mean they won't fix it. Your stupid texture bug is not a priority when compared to a game-wide critical exploit.

It's true that certain things about launches don't change.

WoW and a whole bunch of other MMOs have screwed up the server instability. BW had no problem with that.

WoW and a whole bunch of other MMOs have screwed up queue times. BW had no problem with that - the SWTOR queue times were self-imposed in order to prevent server instability.

In the time since launch, 9 days ago, there has been minimal (if any) server instability and BW relaxed server population caps, ending queue times on all but the few most heavily populated servers, and even those are down to 10 minutes or so at peak hours. Completely acceptable.

It looks like BW is constantly addressing issues and listening to and working with player feedback. No, they can't magically fix everything in a day like some people want. Yes, they are listening and fixing things. And something for everyone to keep in mind....just because they haven't fixed something *yet* doesn't mean they won't fix it. Your stupid texture bug is not a priority when compared to a game-wide critical exploit.

I like you.

Care to give examples?

And actually, they did. They capped the population by not sending retailers copies for the game for many weeks. They were not prepared to deal with the massive influx of players. I imagine manufacturing played a good part of this as well.

First, lol at the idea that Blizzard intentionally ran out of games to meter their population rather than just building another 150 servers. Because developers always want to NOT sell as many units of their game as possible. The game was more popular than even they had imagined.

Rift, Aion, LoTRO, and even Warhammer all had smoother launches than TOR without relying on staggering. Warhammer I would say was on par with SWTOR's launch-- smoother than TOR's would have been if not for BW's controversial staggered release.

And, by the way, the staggered release of TOR was a zero-sum trick by BW. It pissed off just as many people as if they hadn't done it. Or maybe not. Imagine how horrific TOR's launch would have stacked up with those other releases if BW wasn't artificially metering players through the gates, sharding everything, and designing their game so that half their players are in private instances at all times.

Edited by Mannic

Yes and those smaller games have 1/1000th of the TOR population.

I havent had not 1 single problem with the game, so sorry if i sound a bit harsh, but i am a day 1 / 2nd wave early access player and so far the game and game play have been flawless on my end.

You're wrong. Rift's release was somewhere in the area of 50 to 75% of TOR's release population. Warhammer, LoTRO, and Aion were all bigger than Rift. SWTOR is not as big as you guys think it is. Two days after launch, BW was bragging about "over a million" players. 8 days after launch it was still "over a million players." The game isn't growing significantly or we would have heard "over 1.5 million players" or "close to 2 million players." That's a little worrisome since MMO populations rarely get significantly larger after the first week of launch.

You guys are both giving SWTOR too much credit for popularity at this point and not giving those other games enough credit for how big their launches were. They were all triple-A titles.

I'm not talking about games like Chronicles of Spellborn that have less than 10K members here.

Edited by Mannic

First, lol at the idea that Blizzard intentionally ran out of games to meter their population rather than just building another 150 servers. Because developers always want to NOT sell as many units of their game as possible. The game was more popular than even they had imagined.

Rift, Aion, LoTRO, and even Warhammer all had smoother launches than TOR without relying on staggering. Warhammer I would say was on par with SWTOR's launch-- smoother than TOR's would have been if not for BW's controversial staggered release.

And, by the way, the staggered release of TOR was a zero-sum trick by BW. It pissed off just as many people as if they hadn't done it. Or maybe not. Imagine how horrific TOR's launch would have stacked up with those other releases if BW wasn't artificially metering players through the gates, sharding everything, and designing their game so that half their players are in private instances at all times.

Laugh all you want Sir. I recall working retail, with a few dozen copies of World of Warcraft in stock that I was not permitted to sell for a number of weeks. I also recall those blizzard reps telling me that they needed time to get servers up and running. You're somewhat right, they did add another batch of servers. But, that took a while. Along with whatever they wanted to do on the back end before another massive influx of players. Either way, copies were held. :)

Aion = Had instancing. Warhammers launch was not smooth at all. Quite laggy, and sizable queue's. Can't comment on the others.

I wasn't pissed about the staggered launch. But I had the inclination to listen to the warnings of a staggered launch, and bought my preorder in a timely manner.

You're wrong. Rift's release was somewhere in the area of 50 to 75% of TOR's release population. Warhammer, LoTRO, and Aion were all bigger than Rift. SWTOR is not as big as you guys think it is. Two days after launch, BW was bragging about "over a million" players. 8 days after launch it was still "over a million players." The game isn't growing significantly or we would have heard "over 1.5 million players" or "close to 2 million players." That's a little worrisome since MMO populations rarely get significantly larger after the first week of launch.

You guys are both giving SWTOR too much credit for popularity at this point and not giving those other games enough credit for how big their launches were. They were all triple-A titles.

I'm not talking about games like Chronicles of Spellborn that have less than 10K members here.

I suppose by the highlighted

A) Your trolling

or

B) Your woefully misinformed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.