Damned if you do, Damned if you don't

Pirate_Ron

I know, it's been said numerous times, but I feel bad for Bioware. They are in an unwinnable situation. Honestly they should have just kept the forums closed down till the 20th.

They offer up to 5 days (meaning a maximum of 5 days total, not a guarentee of 5 days total) of early access, then bump it by 2 more. Then to keep things runnign smoothly they stagger the line, preventing queues. All they get is page after page of complaining that people won't get the maximum extra time. Because of course each special little snowflake is entitled to the maximum no matter how late they register.

So what is Bioware to do? Open it up and let us all queue for hours on end? Why would they do that when it would give the same forum result. Just swap "I didn't get in" with "I'm queuing for 5 hours" and you got your alternate reality right there.

We're still 2 days from the promised 5 days of access and the rage is so thick you would think the Sith took over the forums.

With the rumors of PVP xp bugged and the possibility of a roll back (pure speculation on my part mind you), you should all be happy you aren't in yet. That is what will kill the launch if anything. People who do things legit getting rolled back would be a legitimate complaint.

Everyone who took time off, shame on you. That was a poor life choice. Those of you just unhappy that you have to wait a little longer, grow up and learn a little patience. In a few days all this forum rage will be a distant memory and you can focus on complaining about more real issues.

I know, it's been said numerous times, but I feel bad for Bioware. They are in an unwinnable situation. Honestly they should have just kept the forums closed down till the 20th.

They offer up to 5 days (meaning a maximum of 5 days total, not a guarentee of 5 days total) of early access, then bump it by 2 more. Then to keep things runnign smoothly they stagger the line, preventing queues. All they get is page after page of complaining that people won't get the maximum extra time. Because of course each special little snowflake is entitled to the maximum no matter how late they register.

So what is Bioware to do? Open it up and let us all queue for hours on end? Why would they do that when it would give the same forum result. Just swap "I didn't get in" with "I'm queuing for 5 hours" and you got your alternate reality right there.

We're still 2 days from the promised 5 days of access and the rage is so thick you would think the Sith took over the forums.

With the rumors of PVP xp bugged and the possibility of a roll back (pure speculation on my part mind you), you should all be happy you aren't in yet. That is what will kill the launch if anything. People who do things legit getting rolled back would be a legitimate complaint.

Everyone who took time off, shame on you. That was a poor life choice. Those of you just unhappy that you have to wait a little longer, grow up and learn a little patience. In a few days all this forum rage will be a distant memory and you can focus on complaining about more real issues.

Bravo. Well stated.

When in a no win situation you go with the decision that causes the least harm. In this case Bioware chose wrong.

So are you saying you would rather deal with queues and server crashes?

I did that with Rift early access. I'd prefer to avoid it again if I can. Sure my life didn't end when the server went down, or when I had to wait 2-3 hours to get in. I had other things to do. If I have to trade letting other in first so when I finally log in there's less lag and less crowding in the starter areas then what's the big deal? Who cares about the server firsts. When you are old and grey telling stories to your grandchildren are you going to be regaling them with exciting tales of how you were marginally faster than some other player in a computer game?

lol you feel BAD for Bioware? While they're going to sit back and make millions and millions of dollars from this game. and you feel bad. ok bud

I feel bad for the grunts who have to deal with all the complaining. They are not making millions. They are growing grey hairs prematurely. Try working for a support based company some time and deal with angry customers on the phone sometime.

Pro tip. Community managers don't make tons of money.

The lesson to be learned here is to give people concrete information. What is making people angry is being told they have to sit around and wait for a week to find out when they can play the game. If you told most of these same people they can start on Friday at 5PM PST that would be better than not knowing if they can play sometime between tomorrow morning and Friday. People who do not understand this have no sense of customer service.

The other thing is that communication has just been weird. An email clearly explaining how all of this is going to work sent to pre-order customers yesterday would have prevented a lot. Bioware assumed that people had poured over every thread on the forums (which were wiped, and unavailable for several days) and that all of the details were understood.

You know honestly people would be more accepting if they had just said CE pre-orders and folks who ordered from XX to XX get to start on the 13th and the rest of you start on the 15th. That is what is called communication.

Lastly it just seems like they are scared to go live with their game. If that is the case just say so, "we have something we need to work out, be patient". Okay cool. Again, they just lave people hanging and wondering why the F they have to wait 18 hours to see if they win the EGA lottery. MMOs don't launch this way good or bad, in my opinion it's not the players fault for wondering why this one is any different.

Honeslty this could have been done better, without the #s being released on how many actually got in today its a slap in the face to see July 21st-27th invited only.

The days dont sound like that much. but if they said 25% of the preorders were in those 6 days then Id start believing the way things are being done make sense.. But as it stands with friends on servers already telling me how empty places are and servers showing low, Just doesnt convince me they couldnt ramp this up. They gave us 2 days you say, what makes you think they dont NEED those 2 days to trya nd fufill the up to 5 day promise for even 25% of the people they promised it to.

its not a sense of entitlement for me, its lack of communication thats frustrating, some of us preordere on 21st but my ebgames didnt have the stupid preorder codes for a month. But I wanted the CE so I know you will say my choice, but I kept with my preorder there. and Ill be happy once the 20th rolls around and I have it, but right now its frustrating. If I was told numbers or even percentages of the people that got today, I and others may have a better and more understanding view.

So are you saying you would rather deal with queues and server crashes?

I did that with Rift early access. I'd prefer to avoid it again if I can. Sure my life didn't end when the server went down, or when I had to wait 2-3 hours to get in. I had other things to do. If I have to trade letting other in first so when I finally log in there's less lag and less crowding in the starter areas then what's the big deal? Who cares about the server firsts. When you are old and grey telling stories to your grandchildren are you going to be regaling them with exciting tales of how you were marginally faster than some other player in a computer game?

totally would then i could get my names reserved, wich is the whole point of reordering to get early access. names reserved then it would be no problem at all to just chill for a couple of days while servers are getting stable

I feel bad for the grunts who have to deal with all the complaining. They are not making millions. They are growing grey hairs prematurely. Try working for a support based company some time and deal with angry customers on the phone sometime.

Pro tip. Community managers don't make tons of money.

it's in the job description and they should be aware of dealing with things like this. don't like it? too bad, get another job

and if they're upset because of a few vocal customers then they should probably get another job anyway

Edited by Esaru

You feel sorry for Bioware? ROFL...they will make more money on this game in one month then you could see in 100 lifetimes.

Like you, I am equally puzzled... by the fanboy mentality. Bioware made a bad decision and pissed off a lot of people in the process. Fanboys praise Bioware for making a bad decision and chastise people for calling them on it. Fanboys would piss away every freedom they have without so much as a whimper.

You feel sorry for Bioware? ROFL...they will make more money on this game in one month then you could see in 100 lifetimes.

Like you, I am equally puzzled... by the fanboy mentality. Bioware made a bad decision and pissed off a lot of people in the process. Fanboys praise Bioware for making a bad decision and chastise people for calling them on it. Fanboys would piss away every freedom they have without so much as a whimper.

yep...