The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Playable races leave something to be desired.

Ryelen

Is it just me or is anyone else disappointed in the lack of race selection for character creation?

We have 9 Playable races but what do we really have?

Humans

Blue Humans

Green Humans

Blind Humans

Cyborg Humans

Humans with Horns

Red Humans

Pale Humans

Oh and Twi-Leks

Where's our Wookies and our Mon Calamari. In a very well fleshed out mythos with a reputation for odd looking characters we get 8 different versions of a pallet swapped human and 1 with tails on the back of their heads.

Edited by Ryelen

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The upside is the SW universe is so vast with so many options that content and new expansion ideas are almost limitless. Just about any race you can think of from tribal to ocean dwelling already exist in the canon.

This game really could grow into something (even more) amazing.

I agree.

I don't know much about Star Wars, but I see tons of NPCs that are anything but human and quite diverse among their alien-selves. This diversity is what I enjoy in MMOs. It's fun when we're all DIFFERENT. I mean, yeah, we have different races, but very unnoticeable.

MMOs are all about being different in an environment where you can interact.

I can't imagine trying to create textures and skins for Ithorians, Wookiees, Mon Calamari, etc etc etc. The "all human shapes" is for not having to recreate every item multiple times over, just so each race can use it and it will look normal.

The Twileks have had their share of troubles with their lekku. That's because it's dramatically different from the human skin.

I suspect that in time, other races will become available, and at each implementation all of their associated gear will then be added to the loot table and quest rewards.

I do think it would be more Star Warsy if there were more races playable, but it's a bit impractical from a development standpoint - it makes you have to do the same work several times over. SWG found out how complex this got after awhile.

I think it has something to do with storylines and more importantly the voice acting, much easier to use the same voices and do Cut/Paste jobs for each class (Voices are class dependant), if you throw in Mon Cal & Wookie and the like then it creates more work on not only recording the audio for the voice acting but also sticking it in the game....

they didn't even give choices for different twi'lek lekku which is ridiculous. Thats like everyone on earth having a justin beiber haircut.

the current race selection sucks ESPECIALLY when you weigh them against SWG which just HAD to be taken offline for this game :rolleyes:

Ye in SWG u could choose to have a race with any class.. That is something i miss here tho...

And i might be wrong here but chiss as imperial? imperials hate aliens dont they? Atleast i thought that the empire belived the humans to be the superier race...:confused:

I can't imagine trying to create textures and skins for Ithorians, Wookiees, Mon Calamari, etc etc etc. The "all human shapes" is for not having to recreate every item multiple times over, just so each race can use it and it will look normal.

You can use the same texture on the armor for every race just like in WoW and other similar games. The real problem will be to animate and make every bit of different type of armor look good on every race without it clipping destroying the design.

You can use the same texture on the armor for every race just like in WoW and other similar games. The real problem will be to animate and make every bit of different type of armor look good on every race without it clipping destroying the design.

Well they did it in SWG so i guess its not that hard.. Tho i have no clue about the teknical issues here other that what i see on sceen :cool:

You might get more HUMANOID races down the road, (e.g. Cathar, Togruta, etc...) but never anything exotic like Ithorians or Kel-dor. I think I'm going to make a point of linking this in each thread about this subject from now on. This is a quote from Daniel Erickson regarding this very subject:

We started talking about what made a hero in Star Wars and then, once that was clear, there were some jokes about what the romances would look like had we gone for the toybox approach of letting you play anything in the action figure line. That's the part of the conversation the quote came from.

The first part was merely a repetition of something we've said before. Namely that lead characters in an RPG must be something the player can relate to. There has never been a movie or major Star Wars series with a complete freak job as the lead and that's because dramatically it doesn't work. We don't understand what it means to be a giant lizard or a droid or a walking ball of jelly. We love the weird characters but they are always the sidekicks, not the emotional connection in the movie. To do an RPG that way every NPC you ran into would have to react to you depending on their own cultural bias and the entire "into the strange" adventure that is Star Wars would be lost as you would be the strangest thing in the room. People would constantly be asking you for information about your weird species and their emotional content that the vast majority of players simply wouldn't have and their ability to really BE this character would be nil.

cont...

Source - http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/15986-pax-daniel-erickson-clarifies-conversation-with

Unless they reveal some new Legacy races like they'd previously hinted at, what we have now is what we're going to get for quite a long while.

Agree 100%, it's one of the most pathetic things about the game imo.

"The first part was merely a repetition of something we've said before. Namely that lead characters in an RPG must be something the player can relate to."

This is bullhocky of the highest order and, without exaggeration, the number one problem with sci-fi today.

This misguided notion that if it isn't 99% human that sci-fi fans - the people who LIKE strange alien monsters- will not be able to hold an interest in it as a person.

Number one problem with Transformers films? Too many humans. Number one problem with Transformers cartoons? Too many humans. Number one problem with Star Wars novels? Well, Karin Travis. But number two is, too many humans. And the same mentality now pervades SWTOR.

Personally, all 8 of my characters would have different races if only more exotic options exist. This is SCIFI. Humans are boring, humdrum, been there done that and bought the t-shirt.

Edited by jimmybob

This should be the ONLY real choice on the Imperial Side. So consider yourself lucky.

But who was it who decreed that this particular empire was as human-centric as Palpy's empire? Bioware. They didn't have to. So consider us all UN-lucky that that they narrowed the field on us so much.