Darkest of the DS options

Ardrossan

I'm curious what people think are the darkest, or most evil DS options in the game. You get more DS points for certain choices [i think becoming Hand of Jadus nets 200 pts] but there are lots of choices worth much less that are much more evil, imo. Needless to say, spoilers abound.

Here are some of my picks:

Smugger: On NS, allow yourself to be bribed by the Shanjaru scientist to abandon the rich girl Momi to further experimentation. For extra flavor, bring Corso along.

SW: Again on NS, force Vette's sister Tivva to 'service' you / the crew in exchange for buying her freedom. Then when she does it, laugh in her face and say you never intended to pay for her freedom. For extra flavor, be a male SW romancing Vette. Before affection was changed to influence, I think this ended Vette's romance, but now it will continue anyway.

Consular: On Balmorra, take Zenith's suggestion to use the brain hijacker tech to force Galthe to sign over the presidency to Tai. For extra flavor, say that this is something the imperials/Darth Lachris would do [provokes a rant from Zenith], then do it.

Agent: On Tatooine, sneak into Dragon Eyes' house and kill his wife. Wait for him to show up and react to his dead wife, get the info, then kill him too. Honorable mention: On NS, allow Watcher X to slice into the Cyborg's brain to get the info about the terrorists, then kill the cyborg.

BH: On Voss, you get accosted by some Voss commandos during the class mission. You can let them go, but kill them instead. This lands Tormen's general in hot water and basically destroys the empire's efforts on Voss. after dealing with Redrish, go back to the general and persuade him to kill himself to preserve his honor.

JK: On Tatooine, mind trick the Jawas into being a distraction for the Sand Demon. They mostly get killed. Honorable mention: On Tython, kill the twi'lek villagers who incapacitated you at Kalikori. If you're Male, iirc you can force the new matriarch to 'service' you in exchange for forgetting about this.

Trooper: On Alderaan: 'Interrogate' the Thul Noble. After taking care of Gearbox, hand him AND his rescued family over to the Organas. For extra flavor, bring Dorne along for these conversations.

SI: Again on Alderaan, persuade Lady Rist that you came all this way to help her romance Nomar Organa. Resist the urge to electrocute her. Have her meet you at the killik cave. When Nomar appears, kill them both and take the vault key. For extra flavor: there are many ways to handle this quest. My favorite is to convince Rehanna to help you, make the call to Nomar, then kill her immediately after.

Edited by Ardrossan

All of them are excellent DS choices, as far as the darkest one. Quite frankly nothing comes to my mind at the moment other than 2 DS choices.

Imperial Ending DS for Makeb, destroying the entire planet, killing millions of refugees before they are able to escape the planet.

Leaving Theron Shan to die on Nathema, while I can still find reason as to why the Alliance Commander would do it... when I took that choice it was legitimate the first DS choice that left me with a bitter taste in my mouth, with regret of doing something deeply wrong. My character of course felt no such thing but this is one of the few DS choices in this game that made me feel bad.

• Sad 1

Killing Senya is pretty dark, even under the circumstances. Anything where you torture or kill companions is one of the darkest things you can do, imo.

*shrug* if the companion has just saved the genocidal arch enemy who left you in carbonite for five years, is currently the reason a planet is being bombed, and has just attacked you, it's not so dark.

With most of the other companions I'd agree though. I can't stand Theron and even I can't leave him to die on Nathema.

A few I'd add as especially dark and twisted (I can't do these, ever):

SW: Leaving Vette's slave collar on, and letting DS Jaesa torture her too.

If you side Republic on Iokath, making Quinn beg for his life until he's a blubbering heap and then killing him anyway.

IA: Letting the Kiliks take over House Cortess and turn all the nobles into pod people on Alderann.

Trooper: Telling the cyborg experiment victims you'll help them and then killing them on Coruscant.

Republic quest, Coruscant: Forcing the Nautolan dancer woman to return to her controlling husband who considers her a "possession."

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

Not necessarily the darkest, but the ones i find the dumbest of the DS choices (well most of the DS choices i find dumb go to kill options on companion, and in 1 case with the lack of a kill option on 1 companion, and the PC just letting said companion walk away safely) :

- Killing Quinn on Iokath.

I'd have absolutely no problem with that option right after the Quinncident because on the spot it would make sense (i'd probably have taken that option at that moment on several SW). A decade latter, when he has spend several years in jail because he refused to stop looking for you, it's just stupid...

- Leaving Theron to die on Nathema.

Sure he messed up quite a bit while trying to save your bottom and the Alliance, but if he did nothing, the Fleet and Gravestone would still be gone, but on top of that Odessen would've been destroyed and you'd be dead with all the people of the Alliance, that'd be so much better... :rolleyes:

Taking a job as a BH on Hutta from a woman who wants her son to be kidnapped from her ex-husband so that the child can be sent to the citadel to focus on teaching him the dark side of the force. Once the son is found with his father, you have options. I feel the darkest option is shooting the father dead in front of the son then making him run home to mother. That poor child will be the next Darth Baras, I am sure of it.

I'd have absolutely no problem with that option right after the Quinncident because on the spot it would make sense (i'd probably have taken that option at that moment on several SW). A decade latter, when he has spend several years in jail because he refused to stop looking for you, it's just stupid...

Oh, one of my SWs forgave him and married him in the class story, then shacked up with Lana, then on Iokath, she perforated him. To his credit, at least he made it look like being stabbed with a light sabre *hurts*, way far more than any other NPC I ever saw anywhere else. And Lana and Theron looked a bit shocked.

Another candidate for darkest option is the mission on DK where a Sith asks you to poison the rebelled slaves' water supplies with only just enough poison to kill them, so they die very slowly and in monstrous pain.

Unfortunately IMHO the devs force players' hands with Quinn because if you side Imperial, there is no option to dismiss him peacefully. You either have to forgive and trust him again or kill him, and there's no option to ask him to leave like some of the other companions. It's reasonable to assume that even if some SWs don't want him dead they might not want him on their crew again.

One more DS choice that is horrible is the one with the kidnapped Imperial soldiers whose brains are transplanted into droids on Dromund Kaas. You can either shut them all down and end their pain or force them into service for the Empire. Leaving them alive - especially after one of them tells you how much pain he is in and pleads with you for help - is really low.

Unfortunately IMHO the devs force players' hands with Quinn because if you side Imperial, there is no option to dismiss him peacefully. You either have to forgive and trust him again or kill him, and there's no option to ask him to leave like some of the other companions. It's reasonable to assume that even if some SWs don't want him dead they might not want him on their crew again.

Yeah the choices with Quinn, were not that great.

Siding with the Republic I was left with

- Kill Quinn

- Imprison Quinn (again, poor guy spent several years in jail and you'd sned him back to another cell...)

- Take him back as a lover

I had to take him back, because the kill option was just utterly stupid, imprisonning him, not much better, so i had to end the relationship that character had with Lana (well that was planned as i intended to see the Arcann romance on that character), to take Quinn back, to dump him 2 seconds later... And ended up in a polyamorous relationship with Quinn and Arcann which was not really intended, as starting the romance with Arcann did not stop the ongoing one with Quinn :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Becoming the Hand of Jadus has the highest body count in the entire game, so you could make a very strong case it is the very darkest choice there is.

As far as the darkest choices besides that, a few come to mind.

Jedi Knight: Feeding the Voss mystic to Sel-Makor for a reward, and then killing Tala-Rae. Geting Brik's family killed by the Sand Demon on Tatooine possibly feels like the saddest one, though.

Bounty Hunter: You can unceremoniously drop the severed head of a woman's husband in her lap on Nal Hutta.

Sith Warrior: Killing Jaesa's parents and then romancing her is pretty high up there. As is forcing their location out of General Giselle Organa by threatening her lover's life and then killing one or both of them anyway.

The Imperial Makeb ending DS choice also has a very high body count, but I don't think it's as high as letting the Eradicators fire.

And oh yeah, as someone mentioned killing a romanced Jorgan is pretty horrifying for Troopers. His dialogue actually reminds me a little of the Murder of King Terenes in Warcraft 3.

Condemning the Tarisian evacuees to a firery death as they try to escape the planet on Imperial Taris is also pretty bad.

Infecting kolto tanks (I think it was) on Taris with the rakghoul virus.

Yeah the Empire has a lot of quests that are just "the darkside option." There are no alignment choices in that quest, you are just given the objective to infect Republic wounded with the rakghoul virus.

They also have some choices that are both evil options, even though one is slightly less horrible, and therefore the "Lightside option."

The rebelling slave quest on Dromund Kaas is the most obvious example. Poisoning the water supply of slaves fighting for freedom from the Sith Empire with enough toxins to kill them instantly should absolutely not be considered a "good" thing to do, but it's still more merciful than poisoning them so that they specifically die in agony.

That Imperial Lightside option might even be more evil than every Republic Darkside choice.

Other examples include suppressing the Jawa freedom fighters on Tatooine. Your only options are to capture their Force Sensitive leader to examine her connection to the Force or kill her so she can't be studied. I honestly don't even remember which one is the LS option and which one is the DS choice.

Heck, much of the Bounty Hunter class story fits this mold too. You're often given the choice of murdering everyone in a room or murdering almost everyone in a room. In fact, the story actually even goes out of it's way to make sure to nullify the LS choice at the end of Chapter 1.

Edited by OldVengeance

OMG I love this thread! I never pick the twisted dark side choices, but it's fun to see what they are.

I felt this way at first, but the issue is that you don't always get the cut scene which makes sense of this choice. Quinn was in prison for a time, then was released because he signed on to help Acina. in fact, he's still working for Acina, using his influence with you to her benefit. Basically, Quinn does his typical thing where he sides with the one he thinks is the most powerful. Depending on your choices, you may or may not get this info.

And ended up in a polyamorous relationship with Quinn and Arcann which was not really intended, as starting the romance with Arcann did not stop the ongoing one with Quinn :rolleyes:

He's probably used to that. My female SW cheated on Quinn with Pierce every chance she got. This caused Quinn to slowly devolve into a groveling, simpering heap. He sent me studies about Sith divorce and infidelity rates. He shipped me alcohol and lingerie. He tried really hard to be romantic but it came off as pathetic and needy. I didn't mind all the gifts, though!

Edited by Xina_LA

If you side Republic (I never will, but saying), Quinn sets off a bomb when you make your choice, which probably kills Alliance members and certainly is an aggressive act. He's given you a reason to kill him or toss him in prison right there.

It makes no sense that Republic-side SW who have romanced him aren't given an opportunity to break up with him without killing or imprisoning him, though.

On the Imperial side he doesn't attack, but there's also the very good point that he's just manipulating the situation to get ahead. My SW didn't buy for a moment that he looked for them for years (he would have had no reason to). There's also the aforementioned point that if you don't want to work with him you have no option to send him to prison or dismiss him peacefully, so if you don't want anything to do with him and don't want him in the Alliance you're forced to take the kill.

If you side Republic (I never will, but saying), Quinn sets off a bomb when you make your choice, which probably kills Alliance members and certainly is an aggressive act. He's given you a reason to kill him or toss him in prison right there.

It makes no sense that Republic-side SW who have romanced him aren't given an opportunity to break up with him without killing or imprisoning him, though.

On the Imperial side he doesn't attack, but there's also the very good point that he's just manipulating the situation to get ahead. My SW didn't buy for a moment that he looked for them for years (he would have had no reason to). There's also the aforementioned point that if you don't want to work with him you have no option to send him to prison or dismiss him peacefully, so if you don't want anything to do with him and don't want him in the Alliance you're forced to take the kill.

Isn't it some sort of flash or smoke bomb though ? As no one is hurt in the room where it explodes.

Then, if you're a SW who sides with the Republic, he actually sides with you against Acina and tries to convince her not to use the throne, to which she force push him on a wall.

But the whoile thing was clearly lacking both an option to break up without killing or imprisonning and an option not to work with him without having to kill him

Isn't it some sort of flash or smoke bomb though ? As no one is hurt in the room where it explodes.

Then, if you're a SW who sides with the Republic, he actually sides with you against Acina and tries to convince her not to use the throne, to which she force push him on a wall.

But the whoile thing was clearly lacking both an option to break up without killing or imprisonning and an option not to work with him without having to kill him

Here it is (not with a Sith Warrior, and this goes exactly the same with Dorne).

They show a bomb attached to something and at least one shuttle blowing up after Quinn pushes the detonator. And then they throw the smoke bomb so they can get away.

I didn't know that Quinn tries to get Acina not to use the throne, that's cool. All the same, he did just attack the Alliance.

Yeah, though, we totally are in agreement that they lacked good options for his dismissal or breakup on both the Imperial and Republic sides. A SW Imperial-side shouldn't have had to resort to a kill to get rid of him and Republic-side there should have been a 'go away' option too. And certainly a break-up choice.

Wow, I didn´t know this game could be so dark.

I´m light side V imperial, always. I couldn´t play dark if my life depended on it.

*hugging Cytharat, Quinn, Arcann, Senya, Vette and all dead NPCs*

It´s ok - you are all safe with me :)

I'm basically the same way. I wanted to experience the dark side, so to speak, so I gave it a go, but the few Dark V characters I have made loads of light side choices; the only one I can manage to make (mostly) evil is my Rattataki, and even then I struggle. There are some dark side choices I simply cannot make. I keep telling myself it's fake and just a game, but somehow I always give in to the light. :p

I'm basically the same way. I wanted to experience the dark side, so to speak, so I gave it a go, but the few Dark V characters I have made loads of light side choices; the only one I can manage to make (mostly) evil is my Rattataki, and even then I struggle. There are some dark side choices I simply cannot make. I keep telling myself it's fake and just a game, but somehow I always give in to the light. :p

Relatable - I tried so often to be dark but I fail at the first choice (torture the acolyte for information).

I know it´s a game and the npcs are not real but can´t help but feel compassion for them.

Probably the reason that I only play heal :)

Heck, much of the Bounty Hunter class story fits this mold too. You're often given the choice of murdering everyone in a room or murdering almost everyone in a room. Heck, the story actually even goes out of it's way to make sure to nullify the LS choice at the end of Chapter 1.

I had a hard time thinking of other Bounty Hunter DS moments for this exact reason. The Voss episode was a pretty over the top example of pointless cruelty. Letting Skadge torture the spacer's GF [and later, the spacer] on Belsavis also comes to mind.

For sidequest moments, I thought that the Ord Mantell mission where you are looking for a kidnapped girl and decide to ignore her abuse from the soldiers and give back her ring [which is bugged] to her dad was pretty despicable.

Also on Pub Taris, when you're settling that land claim business, not only can you refuse to help the aliens, you can take their land claim [which they give you as proof] and keep it.

It's a question when I made this thread: what is darkside? Not just 'what is evil', but what does it mean in this game? Is it a high body count? Each class kills several thousand npc's over the course of the game, so something like the imperial Makeb or the Agent class quest where he lets the death squads in to the mining colony don't seem significantly worse: you're just massacring a bunch of people at a time, rather than doing a few here and there.

Is it inaction? On Balmorra as a consular you almost get sniped by Zenith because he's trying to take out the imp you cornered. LSers will want to capture the imp, DSers just step out of range. Or as an SI on Balmorra you can bring in the defector scientist to make you a colicoid. Whether you shock him into submission or promise him freedom, he still comes along eventually, but afterward you can choose to free him...or do nothing, and he stays in a job he hates. I don't think that's considered a DS choice, even if you promised him freedom. No, the DS choice is to pretend to agree, then accuse him of being a defector and have him executed. The latter seems more sociopathic than DS.

In K1 and K2, DS choices were usually either 'be rude to people' or 'ask for money'. It's a bit better in this game, but that mentality still crops up. Pubside on Tat during the bonus missions, you run into Fez Burba again and do a very pointless, irritating [if you aren't a stealther] mission to find his 6 droid macguffins. After getting them all and killing 80+ sand people, you can extort him for more money than he has, and you can demand he scavenge his droid for parts to make up the difference. This resolution is the same as a mission in K2. Is it evil? Eh. You get DS points for it so...I guess?

It's a question when I made this thread: what is darkside? Not just 'what is evil', but what does it mean in this game?

It's the dick move for that particular situation. Some people are just jerks by nature and don't realize they're pulling a dick move though.

It's a question when I made this thread: what is darkside? Not just 'what is evil', but what does it mean in this game?

This reminds of a JC choice on Taris where what's really LS or DS seemed blurry. You have the option of saving a ladies life from being burned to death or saving a holocron with data that could save thousands (countless) lives in the future. LS is to save to lady and let the holocron burn condemning thousands in the future to death or DS to save the holocron and let the lady die but you save thousands of lives with it. As usually a LS person my gut reaction is to save the lady screaming for help but is it really DS to save the holocron? The whole one life vs thousands of others. In the moment I feel terrible for letting her die but in the long run saving the holocron is not really fully DS is it? :confused:

Edited by BlueShiftRecall

SW: Again on NS, force Vette's sister Tivva to 'service' you / the crew in exchange for buying her freedom. Then when she does it, laugh in her face and say you never intended to pay for her freedom. For extra flavor, be a male SW romancing Vette. Before affection was changed to influence, I think this ended Vette's romance, but now it will continue anyway.

Honorable mention: On Tython, kill the twi'lek villagers who incapacitated you at Kalikori. If you're Male, iirc you can force the new matriarch to 'service' you in exchange for forgetting about this.

In addition the SW on Alderaan can force Lady Renata to be taken to Duke Kendoh for "questioning" which is really to be his sex slave.

Any choice which forces a female npc into questionable/forced sexual situations is pretty despicable and very dark. If I played a male, I'd never take those choices. The situation above with Tivva is the worst dark side scenario in the game. There should be an option where she gets to kill you all.

SI: Again on Alderaan, persuade Lady Rist that you came all this way to help her romance Nomar Organa. Resist the urge to electrocute her. Have her meet you at the killik cave. When Nomar appears, kill them both and take the vault key. For extra flavor: there are many ways to handle this quest. My favorite is to convince Rehanna to help you, make the call to Nomar, then kill her immediately after.

I've never got this option - do you have to play as a male to get it? I've only played SI as a female. This seems like a better dark side choice than any I've got.

This reminds of a JC choice on Taris where what's really LS or DS seemed blurry. You have the option of saving a ladies life from being burned to death or saving a holocron with data that could save thousands (countless) lives in the future. LS is to save to lady and let the holocron burn condemning thousands in the future to death or DS to save the holocron and let the lady die but you save thousands of lives with it. As usually a LS person my gut reaction is to save the lady screaming for help but is it really DS to save the holocron? The whole one life vs thousands of others. In the moment I feel terrible for letting her die but in the long run saving the holocron is not really fully DS is it? :confused:

It's "definitely one life *now*" versus "maybe thousands of others at some unknown time in the future"

If you save the holocron, you *definitely* let the woman die and *double-maybe* save the people in the future, but if you save the woman, you *definitely* save her and *double-maybe* let those people die. ("double-maybe" because maybe the holocron's information is useful, maybe it isn't, and because maybe they wouldn't have been killed anyway by whatever the holocron is good against.)

That's the usual theory cited for why it's light/dark rather than light/neutral.