Scammers on referrals

smallkillers

Hi Guys

I used a player referral link and like most it was use my referral link and get X amounts of credits so I decided to use this player and messaged him he sent me his link and I then asked when do I get my credits so and he said when you use the link so I used the linked and when I come to ask about my credits to find that he had blocked me and I had no way to get my credits which I was promised.

Here are some screenshots for proof.

https://gyazo.com/af94b4a1ec1c744fc1913bd1a2758c217

https://gyazo.com/776a91029e687f51b0cd77c678703bf1

Edited by smallkillers

A) Calling out players in public by name is a no-no.

B) Take it to customer service. The best and probably only thing they can do is remove the referral.

C) Find a friend or guild-mate to exchange referral links.

D) Consider donating your referral link to groups or people who benefit the community (TORcommunity, Swotorista, TOR Fashion, Vulkk, etc.)

Yeah I have wrote out a ticket for this just I know forms get checked more readily.

No, the staff who deal with this stuff read the tickets way more than they read the forums. Posting here is almost useless, except insofar as that it makes sure that other players are aware that this stuff is still going on.

simple solution... dont be greedy and use "FRIEND" links not on idiots from fleet.... they are for your friends... if you dont have any i pity you

That's unnecessary harsh. Not everyone has friends who play video games, and SWTOR in particular. And making trustworthy friends in an MMO is kind of... not so easy.

That's why I say consider donating your referral link to someone who gives back to the community, like Dulfy, for example.

Edited by KyaniteD

That's unnecessary harsh. Not everyone has friends who play video games, and SWTOR in particular. And making trustworthy friends in an MMO is kind of... not so easy.

That's why I say consider donating your referral link to someone who gives back to the community, like Dulfy, for example.

All my friends left this game long ago.

Here is a tip for you guys to avoid getting scammed easily and if needed, making a more detailed report if it happens to you that the referral person blocked/ignored you.

Record everything if you can, especially in-game. Set up anything, screenshots or video is better. Nvidia Shadowplay (for Nvidia cards) or Fraps may work.

First of all, you need to make a deal with the referral owner through conditions. Here is how it works:

1) If you are looking for a ref link in chat (example: credits or items in exchange for referral link usage), ask for the referral link owner to meet in any area of the planet or if you have a stronghold, in your stronghold. If him or her refuses to do this, you may proceed with caution. First small red flag.

2) Ask the referral owner to share his or her legacy name with you when you meet with him or her. (This in case his legacy name is not displayed). I would recommend to tell him or her to keep the legacy name active on display for the remaining duration of the deal. If him or her refuses to show you his or her legacy name, second big red flag. You should not proceed.

3) Write down his or her character and legacy name. Tell him or her that you are recording/taking screenshots, and that if him or her blocks you after you click the referral link, you will make a report. If him or her blocks you and goes away after you share this with him or her, you saved yourself from a scammer.

If you have his or her legacy name, it will be easier to make the report. This, since the scammer can easily delete that character and it is harder to report a character that is deleted in my experience. Still, this may not protect you from everything. You still need to be mindful that this person may be using another server (not his main server), but I still believe that it may be easier to track him or her down with a legacy name. Secondly, be mindful of odd characters in names and legacy names. These may be hard to write down at the time of report. If you see odd kind of names with symbols. I would stay away unless you can type these down exactly as they are, and can confirm these lead to the referral link owner. But it is up to you.

So now then you have his or her referral link, account name (via the ref link), legacy name, and character name. I do believe this may be enough information to provide a more than detailed report to customer support. If him or her deletes his or her character, you still have the legacy name. I think customer support may have extra ways to track the scammer down easier, but this method I think protects you a little bit more from the player-side panorama.

I think this also speaks of the other person. If him or her is willing to give you the time to do it well, is taking care of you, is guiding you, and is agreeing to a deal plus your conditions. I think that speaks of the person with the referral link. But, if him or her is pressuring you to do it faster, or doesn't want to give you the time or patience, be careful. Also, take into consideration that the referral owner is also getting a reward, so you should not feel pressured for anything. It is a deal/trade in which two parties are agreeing to do their part in exchange for something, not a gift.

Also check the URL of the referral link twice to be sure it is not phishing or any malicious link. Just in case. Still, I would recommend to use forum links from the signatures. I think getting into the credits/items in exchange for a referral link is a gamble. But still, with these steps, you should at least avoid being an easy target. Hope that helps! I am sure there may be more methods to protect yourself, but these are the ones that worked for me.

Also! never reveal any kind of personal information, or any kind of information that may lead to your security questions, and do your best to be mindful to who you give your account name via referral. It is important to say that as far as I know, your SWTOR account is bound to your EA Origin account. (may be wrong, but that has been my experience). In the case you get one of the two stolen, you lose both. Please be careful with this, and be smart too. Nobody knows really who is behind the other computer unless you know him or her irl. (This is just me being a little bit paranoic, but one never knows. Stay safe please if you can!).

Hope that helps. Take care and cheers!

While I understand why the referral link is there, I think it needs to go. What is a good idea has turned into a giant scam for some people. Plus the referral link spam in gen chat is just annoying. I wish Bioware would do something about this behavior, to many people get scammed.

B) Take it to customer service. The best and probably only thing they can do is remove the referral.

I've heard that CS will remove your click if you bring it up to them.

Unfortunately they neither can nor will. Talking from personal experience here; back when these links were relatively new and required no confirmation I used a link that was disguised as something else. When I took it up with CS, as I didn't want to reward this s***bag, I was told there was no way to unlink the accounts and I should just "enjoy my rewards".

Wholeheartedly agree : in fact, I clicked the link of the guy behind Tor Fashion seconds after reading this post. I just resubbed. (Hi all !)

So many years enjoying his awesome work...

Edited by BenduKundalini

OP, next time consider doing the following:

A: Ask for the creds upfront, if they're honest they'll have no problem doing this imo.

B: Ask for half the creds, so they're forced to meet you halfway, then they can pay you the other half once you click their link. If they decide to be toxic then at least you still got "something" out of them.

I've heard that CS will remove your click if you bring it up to them.

I called the call center line for this once, and the lady that answered the call said she couldn't do anything about it.

I asked if the referral could be canceled or override it with someone else's, the best I got out of the support line was something along the lines, "it's not within my powers here to change that"

Filing tickets ingame are probably your best shot to get someone who has the ability to modify your account's referral status.

===

I too got burned by a fleet referrer enticing me with credits. No amount of credits given to you is worth knowing some douche bag is going to rake in 1400 cc for the three months you're locked into their referral.

I knew I should have at least asked for half now, half after my click.

Edited by Falensawino

Hi Guys

I used a player referral link and like most it was use my referral link and get X amounts of credits so I decided to use this player and messaged him he sent me his link and I then asked when do I get my credits so and he said when you use the link so I used the linked and when I come to ask about my credits to find that he had blocked me and I had no way to get my credits which I was promised.

You should have just come here to the forums and clicked on someone's link in their sig box. We won't pay you, but you won't have to worry about our honesty or dishonesty. I never pay anyone for something they can do of their own accord for free. (Generally speaking) You either click my link, or you don't here on the forums.

Yes, he or she, shouldn't have said they'd pay you and then not do so, but still.

Also, that whole click the link while you're an active sub doesn't work. I tried using my husband's link when he was an active sub and it didn't do ****.

Hi Guys

Oh someone just cheated You via internet. You're new one? :confused:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.