is it ok to play this on a SSD?

ShieldProtection

I have lifespan concerns on my ssd, despite I have like 50GB(not total size) empty space on it but I cannot take chances. is it ok to play this on a ssd? to reduce loading screen times? This is a brand new ssd with very small capacity. My only goal to reduce the loading times. I wont be putting any other games on it or anything really, just this game. I learned SSDs can wear out quickly under heavy load such as games, I mean the "wear leveling count" SMART entry, that is my nightmare. Edited by ShieldProtection

Even though they are widely known not to last as long as the older HDD variant, they should still be able to last for many years. Some of the SSDs these days even have a limited 10 year warranty.

Personally I have 2 SSDs in my computer and I'm not worried about the lifecycle.

Even though they are widely known not to last as long as the older HDD variant, they should still be able to last for many years. Some of the SSDs these days even have a limited 10 year warranty.

Personally I have 2 SSDs in my computer and I'm not worried about the lifecycle.

Thanks for reply, I don't live in the US so that warranty policy is out of options for me. I just purchased this from my local store in the city so its highly unlikely that tiny thing have 10 years of warranty.

Edited by ShieldProtection

Thanks for reply, I don't live in the US so that warranty policy is out of options for me. I just purchased this from my local store in the city so its highly unlikely that tiny thing have 10 years of warranty.

In this day of age, it's also less likely for home use to keep the same computer for 10 years. Considering how fast the technology develops.

In this day of age, it's also less likely for home use to keep the same computer for 10 years. Considering how fast the technology develops.

Not the entire computer, but I do have same PSU and same HDD since like 6-7 years, they rock solid and working without problems as far as I see, perhaps thats because I do have clean airflow and a airblower to clean the dust every month.

It takes quite a few years to wear out a SSD, and that is if you are constantly adding and removing large amounts of data daily. I doubt you're doing that. You'll be fine.

The most brutal thing you can do to an SSD is not large amounts of data, in fact. If you use it as the destination for "one line at a time" log files, you add one line of 80-120 characters to the end of the log file, and that causes one or more "logical sectors" of 512 bytes to be rewritten (that's the same on SSDs and spinning-rust disks), and *that* causes one or more writeable pages of the SSD to be rewritten, for each and every line you log. When you rewrite a page, you end up erasing a larger block, and ...

With 1-2 lines a second, it takes significantly less time than you'd think, given the *volume* of data being written, to rack up a terrifyingly high average block-erase count. The wear levelling algorithms will keep the min and max counts close to the average, but the average will rise really quickly, especially on smaller disks. Rewriting an MMORPG's data files at each patch pales into insignificance compared to log files.

Wear and tear on SSDs is a bit overblown (probably by the manufacturers of SSDs who want you to buy their new ****)

I have an 8 year old 80 GB SSD (which was pretty decent size in those days) in my laptop. No other disk. I use it for university, development, games etc. Still going strong.

I've had SWTOR installed on my desktop SSD for years (3? 4?) and no issues.

Edited by MadDutchman

Running this game on a SSD spoils me. I used to land on, say, Balmorra and get up take bio, get a snack and a drink, sit back down and still be loading. Now I load in just as the music starts. Really cuts down on the snacks. :cool: Edited by kodrac

Running this game on a SSD spoils me. I used to land on, say, Balmorra and get up take bio, get a snack and a drink, sit back down and still be loading. Now I load in just as the music starts. Really cuts down on the snacks. :cool:

SSD - the easier way to a healthy life, heard it here first! :D

Not just OK, it is recommended this days to use SSD for OS and games that have large area to load.

This game by itself is not something that could damage an SSD as it do major write on it on patches only, other time you just read from it. And there is the beauty of it - 5 to 20 times faster loading times is something that you going to love.

Here only thing I don't know is how much wear one cache file do - DiskCacheArena in game folder... as game use old engine and use it to cache something (if someone did a measure would be good to know) on disk.

But as I have Samsung 830 Evo (128 GB) that have been used as OS / Game drive on Windows default SSD configuration (Hibernation - OFF, small SWAP use due to 16GB ram & so on) for more than 5 years and after that as OS drive on a work PC again default configuration (15TB written and no wear showing on software) - I think even cache should not be an issue.

With today SSD prices you could even simply buy separate one 100-250 GB one to use just for games if you have space for it in your PC.